What is Wrong with me (my malfunction)????

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: What is Wrong with me (my malfunction)????

Post by gaffo »

BTW i do know history and so not an ignorant american. the Ausies and Kewis were central in the Pacific and the Americans may not have won the war against the japs without them.

they fought well and died "well" on my side, i honour them.

sadly too many americans are ignorant of their sacrifice.

Port Morsby and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWEEHOKcTnA
Last edited by gaffo on Sun May 31, 2020 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

gaffo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:52 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:13 pm
gaffo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:48 pm

no they did not, and why i like them.

Lancaster was prob the top 10 of all time actors of all time (IMO).

IMO i do not think Douglas was in Lancaster's league as an actor - but did a great job in this movie (sad to hear he died - but at least he made it to 103 - not too many do that).

an actor never noted in Lancaster's league, and nearly forgotten today is Martin Balsom(sp) - who of course is in this movie.

as for Fredrick March - IMO i think he is on level of Douglas (and did a fab job in this movie, but i did not think his acting was so good in his earlier Death Takes a Holiday (good movie though - the 70's with Monty Markam is also good (had the latter on my YT channel before it was removed for copyriech violatons 5 yrs ago))

thanks for reply and good taste in movies.
Since you are a fan of great old British series, have you watched 'A family at war' and 'When the boat comes in'?

And compare this to that shallow pile of dog-shit The Kardashians.
Fantastic opening theme as well.
The original 'reality TV' that had everyone glued to their TV sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZArtrC5rpVs

''Famous for seeds and biscuits'' haha. The introduction sounds like a Monty Python skit.
I watched when the boat comes in about 5 yrs ago - it was ok (main charcter was so much of an asshole i kinka lost interest in his plight) - it was a an ok series though.

not as good as Callan (which i discovered 7 yrs ago - bought the PAL DVDs of - (i have a PAL player - but still have to removed the fucking region codes via my PC via FABDVD to make copies of my bought DVDs to DVDrs without region code to play on my DVD player. I did the same with Colditz and Secret Army (both excellent series i never knew about until viewn parts of via YT 9 yr ago and buying the DVDs) - i then re-encoded them via my PC via Handbrake/Vidcoder to mp4 for YT upload. - along with Human Jungle and Gideons Way (neither offered here in the US) - upload them to my YT channel (along with my NTSC version of Danger UXB).

I also offered the american TV shows The Defenders and The Senator........both via "shout" DVD, i think my posting of those 2 shows got my YT channel removed.

i offered those above 6 tv shows in hidef, and it lasted for 6 months (Z channel) was my channel's name in honour of the original Z channel of the 1980's (there is a documenty by the founder's daughter about it and its founder - who went nuts and killed himself in the 90's). I had 350 subbers at least - lol.

'A family at war'

I discovered this series about 3 months ago, but not had the time to watch it. hopefully it will still be on YT for me to view when i have the chance.

- and ya the best era of brit TV was the 70's.

Secret Army and Callan are my personal gold standards.

BTW there is a good ww2 doc series via Australia - i forget the name of - but know it exists and so can find it and hopfulyl view it via YT.

I watched the Azac aus TV (and other one i forget the name of - about the 1820's era collonial australia (both shows were quite good) series via Harry66 - before his channel was removed yrs ago.

do you have any NZ show worth my discovery?

thanks for reply Madam!
No. NZ TV is embarrassing.

Callan was brilliant. I was madly in love with Edward Woodward in my early teens. We used to get TV series several years and even a decade after they were released elsewhere. Anyone who had recently visited England was endlessly asked 'What's going to happen in Coronation Street?' :lol: Simple times.
vegetariantaxidermy

gaffo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:58 pm BTW i do know history and so not an ignorant american. the Ausies and Kewis were central in the Pacific and the Americans may not have won the war against the japs without them.

they fight well and died "well" on my side, i honour them.

Honestly, I really don't give a flying rat's arse about anything to do with war. I have zero respect for anyone who goes to war. I find it more annoying when Americans think that Aussies and NZers are the same thing. Not that I have anything against Aussies. They have a much better accent.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:01 am
gaffo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:52 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:13 pm

Since you are a fan of great old British series, have you watched 'A family at war' and 'When the boat comes in'?

And compare this to that shallow pile of dog-shit The Kardashians.
Fantastic opening theme as well.
The original 'reality TV' that had everyone glued to their TV sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZArtrC5rpVs

''Famous for seeds and biscuits'' haha. The introduction sounds like a Monty Python skit.
I watched when the boat comes in about 5 yrs ago - it was ok (main charcter was so much of an asshole i kinka lost interest in his plight) - it was a an ok series though.

not as good as Callan (which i discovered 7 yrs ago - bought the PAL DVDs of - (i have a PAL player - but still have to removed the fucking region codes via my PC via FABDVD to make copies of my bought DVDs to DVDrs without region code to play on my DVD player. I did the same with Colditz and Secret Army (both excellent series i never knew about until viewn parts of via YT 9 yr ago and buying the DVDs) - i then re-encoded them via my PC via Handbrake/Vidcoder to mp4 for YT upload. - along with Human Jungle and Gideons Way (neither offered here in the US) - upload them to my YT channel (along with my NTSC version of Danger UXB).

I also offered the american TV shows The Defenders and The Senator........both via "shout" DVD, i think my posting of those 2 shows got my YT channel removed.

i offered those above 6 tv shows in hidef, and it lasted for 6 months (Z channel) was my channel's name in honour of the original Z channel of the 1980's (there is a documenty by the founder's daughter about it and its founder - who went nuts and killed himself in the 90's). I had 350 subbers at least - lol.

'A family at war'

I discovered this series about 3 months ago, but not had the time to watch it. hopefully it will still be on YT for me to view when i have the chance.

- and ya the best era of brit TV was the 70's.

Secret Army and Callan are my personal gold standards.

BTW there is a good ww2 doc series via Australia - i forget the name of - but know it exists and so can find it and hopfulyl view it via YT.

I watched the Azac aus TV (and other one i forget the name of - about the 1820's era collonial australia (both shows were quite good) series via Harry66 - before his channel was removed yrs ago.

do you have any NZ show worth my discovery?

thanks for reply Madam!
No. NZ TV is embarrassing.

Callan was brilliant. I was madly in love with Edward Woodward in my early teens. We used to get TV series several years and even a decade after they were released elsewhere. Anyone who had recently visited England was endlessly asked 'What's going to happen in Coronation Street?' :lol: Simple times.
Edward Woodward was one of the top 10 actor of all time in my book! - love him in Breaker Morant too. great movie - dumb war.

he seemed like a guininely nice guy too - RIP Ed.

thanks for reply (i first learned of Woodward via the american Tv show The Equalizer - a lesser show than Callan, but decent).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:03 am
gaffo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:58 pm BTW i do know history and so not an ignorant american. the Ausies and Kewis were central in the Pacific and the Americans may not have won the war against the japs without them.

Honestly, I really don't give a flying rat's arse about anything to do with war. I have zero respect for anyone who goes to war. I find it more annoying when Americans think that Aussies and NZers are the same thing. Not that I have anything against Aussies. They have a much better accent.
I understand, wars suck. just sayin i know history and respect the ausies and kiwis for their grit.

if they fought like the French (vichy cowards), when they had an army equal to the germans and could have moved into Germany in Sept 39 when the Germans had 3/4 of their army invading Poland, the French could have ended the war before it started and hitler would shit a brick and ask for peace.

instead the French sat on the Magino line for 9 months - phony war - play coward, and allowing the Germans to take Poland then redeploy to the French line, then allow the germans to waltz over france and let the latter play the game of "Armitice" (ignorig fact - removel of france) - and set up a puppet false "independant farnce via Petain.

oh well. thank god you guys are not the French!
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

getting utterly off topic, but thinking about the French conduct in ww2 make my blood boil.

Vichy lackies with armies and battleships shooting the "free french" in Morrocco and Syria - you can't even call it a French civil war! - it rather bootlicker french Nazis versa Free French and the Allies.

and then if you know of the history of French West Africa and Algeria in the 50s' and 60's.............;-(.

Battle of Algiers - a top 10 of all time (Italian movie - banned in France for decades!) - and movie that would like all other good movies today -would fail in today;s box office. ;-(.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

BTW RadioactiveFM is a pretty good radiostation in Wellingtom.

I listen to them in my car via my "smartphone" - i hate phones - use it only as a radio via tune-in.

the above station, along with "rocket radio's science fiction and supernatural" station (radiodramas via london), and WDVX "east tennessee's own" public supported blurgress are my goto via my commute to and from work.

and of course i have my Grace radios for home to the same audio offerings.
Last edited by gaffo on Sun May 31, 2020 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

gaffo wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:38 am BTW RadioactiveFM is a pretty good radiostation in Wellingtom.

I listen to them in my car via my "smartphone" - i hate phones - use it only as a radio via tune-in.

the above station, along with "rocket radio's science fiction and supernatural" station (radiodramas via london), and WDVX "east tennessee's own" public supported blurgress are my goto via my commute to and from work.

Never heard of it. I don't listen to the radio.
vegetariantaxidermy

gaffo wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:14 am

I understand, wars suck. just sayin i know history and respect the ausies and kiwis for their grit.

if they fought like the French (vichy cowards), when they had an army equal to the germans and could have moved into Germany in Sept 39 when the Germans had 3/4 of their army invading Poland, the French could have ended the war before it started and hitler would shit a brick and ask for peace.

instead the French sat on the Magino line for 9 months - phony war - play coward, and allowing the Germans to take Poland then redeploy to the French line, then allow the germans to waltz over france and let the latter play the game of "Armitice" (ignorig fact - removel of france) - and set up a puppet false "independant farnce via Petain.

I like the French. They have good taste and sophistication. As I KEEP pointing out, I have ZERO interest in war matters except to point out what hypocritical bullshit it is. Civilians suffer far more the 'gritty' soldiers.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:52 am
gaffo wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:38 am BTW RadioactiveFM is a pretty good radiostation in Wellingtom.

Never heard of it. I don't listen to the radio.

I don't blaime you., radio sucks - and why i had 20 yr ago (re-set up to redo my meager station again - I'm don Quehote - windmills and all) a pirate radio fm station here in Norman (and Austin before). to offer good music and mostly Radiodramas (a forgotten artform here in the states) - 1 watt give 2 miles for my neighbors if they scan the dail.

ya illegal, so what clear channel - corporatist pap ruined radio here in the US 20 yrs ago.

illegal but not even illegal - technically a violation of fcc mandates - not illegal per a mistermener per my police apperatous.

I consider it a public service as a good neighbor - to foster a local community mindset.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:55 am

I like the French. They have good taste and sophistication. As I KEEP pointing out, I have ZERO interest in war matters except to point out what hypocritical bullshit it is. Civilians suffer far more the 'gritty' soldiers.
to each their own. but if the French had used the army they had in sept 39, they could have rolled into Berlin while the germans were in Poland and ended the war before it started -and saved millions of lives.

they chose to not do so, and i condemn them for this.

but to each their own.

thanks for your 2-cents.
vegetariantaxidermy

gaffo wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:05 am

to each their own. but if the French had used the army they had in sept 39, they could have rolled into Berlin while the germans were in Poland and ended the war before it started -and saved millions of lives.

but to each their own.

thanks for your 2-cents.
Why do you keep lecturing me about effing WW11?

And I will count down the minutes until our friendly resident PCturd will come on here calling us the 'R' word--you for calling the French 'cowards' and me for calling them 'sophisticated with good taste'. Of course, the 'minutes' will turn into days, then months, and years, because he is, like all PCturds, a great, big, fat hypocrite.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

gaffo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:40 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:24 pm
is it your assertion that moral difficulty has been entirely expunged from modern film?
Duh.
It was a reasonable question based on the words you wrote, don't blame me for that. In fact stop being such a pissy little bitch in general, it doesn't help you at all.
gaffo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:40 pm as for "grunge" Janes Addiction, Blind Mellon, Veruca Salt, Throwing Muses (and Hirsh's solo works like Hips and Makers)
Meh.
gaffo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:40 pm thanks for refering to Percepolis - a fab animated work (I do not think "being made today" = "popular", i assume you listing this film being made around 2005 as proof that there are still good films made............which is mot my point. Persepolis was not a blockbuster - fk most folks never heard of it!
What exactly is your point supposed to be Gaffo? You can't be defending your opening two posts like that unless Seventh Seal and Battle of Algeriers were blockbusters, which I strongly doubt. You aren't making any sense, quit getting angry at me for your own bullshit.
gaffo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:40 pm Today there is the added cultural bias that animation is for children.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_LTYgUL8t8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9AT3jjAP0Y&t=27s
etc...
gaffo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:40 pm so adult animated films that are excellent - like Percepolis, as well as the 3-4 from the Ireland - via Moore - Song of the Sea, Book of Kells, The Breadwinner - all fab movies, the latter the best IMO, never seen by "adult" americans because animation = cartoons = kids movie.
Cool. So good movies are being made, which contradicts one of the points that you lost your shit because I didn't agree with.
gaffo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:40 pm so if you wish to just insult me for your own ego's sake, i have no time for you.
I am among the people you listed as a conformist sheep, and borg. You definitely did that out of ego because you have clearly got no allegiance to the point you opened this tread with, which is why your "point" has done two 180 turns at least so far.
gaffo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:40 pm if you wish to discuss the line from you i noted above in italics. i welcome discussion from one adult to another. -as stated from the starting thread our culture no longers allows "gray" - moral complexity - and all movies with it will fail at the BO, and why such movies are no longer made by "hollywood".
The small problem there is that I am not a movie buff and far from up to date. Nonetheless as far as I do see, you are overstating the moral complexity of old movies on the basis of cherry picked outliers and I think you are understating that of modern movies by relying entirely on superhero movies for your claims.

I already mentioned the case of Renton in the hit movie Trainspotting who absolutely does not fit in with your description of post 70s black hat white hat morality in film (I use that term for a very specific and obvious reason), and if that is now too old then we can just throw in American Gangster. If that is also too old now, then let's add Hustlers, a movie from 2019 where the most sympathetic characters are a pair of strippers who drug and rob rich men, and the story is really about the rise and fall their friendship and the forces of childhood neglect that result in teir copedency later in life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUG2U-IxPx0

I posit that none of these movies is less successful than about half of the movies you name in your original post. But then your OP was advertised as a list of movies you love that everyone else loathes. Apparently your point is now about blockbusters, which is an incongruency that stands in need of explanation if you are able to get past just writing me off as disagreeing with you for "ego".
gaffo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:40 pm you will not see such movies from "hollywood" - and no Fail Safe, nor 7 Day in May, nor 2001 would make more than 2-buck in today's american audience.
Yeah, sci-fi special effects blockbusters, that's a sort of movie that they just don't make any more.

You are still wildly overestimating Fail Safe. Dr Strangelove is a far better film. And Fail Safe isn't a tremendous dive into moral complexity, it is litterally nothing but a trolley problem on a larger scale. Also it was tremedously topical, not a big hit, and a typical Hollywood star project full of well known actors. All of those are things Hollywood still does often becasue they make loads of money doing it.
gaffo wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:40 pm i speak the true Sir (BTW you can include 12 Angry Men in that mix ) "TOO SLOW!!!!!!!!! would be the bleet from the bleachers.
Okay, well let's just remind ourselves of what you wrote before and then we'll wait for you to decide what the fuck it is that you are going on about.
gaffo wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:05 am all of which others loathe to view, so why do i like movies other hate and why do i hate the stuff others love?

again, what is my malfunction? why do i not "fit in" and have taste for movies others love?

??

fix me!!!!! make me borg.
gaffo wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:32 am 99 views and no comment................

sadly only confirmed my lack of faith in iconoclasts existing in a society of conformity.

there is no longer the former, all are the latter sheep.

- oh well, as expected sadly.
So I really feel that you are playing a game of bait and switch by suddenly relying solely on extremely well known and widely liked movies. And I'm unimpressed by yor whine that I am being egotistical and unfair by holding you to your own words.

Why don't you just let me know when you have made up your mind about whatever it is that you are complaining about? Until then, as far as I can see, you are just grumpy because your hips stopped working in the 80s. I mean, seriously, you are also complaining about smart phones now. You're a caricature of the old man complaining because things aren't the way they used to be. You gre up to become the other side of The Who's "My Generation" which I am pretty sure is a song you still love, right?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:17 am
gaffo wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:05 am

but to each their own.

thanks for your 2-cents.
Why do you keep lecturing me about effing WW11?

And I will count down the minutes until our friendly resident PCturd will come on here calling us the 'R' word--you for calling the French 'cowards' and me for calling them 'sophisticated with good taste'. Of course, the 'minutes' will turn into days, then months, and years, because he is, like all PCturds, a great, big, fat hypocrite.
I don't like being lectured too - i apologize if that was the way i came off.

thanks for reply, and await PCturd's 2cents.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:04 am In fact stop being such a pissy little bitch in general, it doesn't help you at all.

piss off, i don't have time for assholes.