What music are you listening to?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

promethean75

Re: What music are you listening to?

Post by promethean75 »

Connor's disenchantment with the group also stemmed from certain objections to Corea's Scientology-inspired leadership style. "Chick had a lot of ideas that were part of his involvement with Scientology. He got more demanding, and I wasn't allowed to control my own solos. I had no power in the music at all. Then, we'd receive written forms about what clothes we could wear, and graphic charts where we had to rate ourselves every night – not by our standards, but his. Finally, we had to connect dots on a chart every night. I took all of it seriously because I had a lot of respect for Chick, but eventually I just felt screwed around. In the end, my only power was to quit."
Bro. I knew they dabbled in scientology but I didn't know chick went hard like that. It's understandable that a nerd jazz fusion keyboardist virtuoso might be such an arrogant arse because he's such a badass and he knows it. But exhibiting the kind of authoritarian behavior we see here is something else. He's like the Jim Jones of the keyboards then. Messianic delusions about oneself augmented with an undeserved sense of authority over others you associate with. And that scientology nonsense can really go to some people's heads. Like literally believing aliens mined gold from earth and that dianetics stuff. Tom Cruise was/is in scientology but I wonder about his level of commitment to it. Lotta celebs get into those designer new age religions just because.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

and then something strange happened. the Tink robots were at their usual stations on the assembly line and nothing out of ordinary was happening. Donald was doing his normal rounds checking and monitoring all the systems, and Kristen was working in the control station above the production floor. just a typical day at the factory.

then over by the coolant system installation line, we saw the strangest thing. one of the robots just left its station. just walked right off and left the building through the fire exit. it wasn't until security noticed and activated the emergency shutdown, that the robot was apprehended.

later we reviewed the video footage from the security cameras over station F, where the coolant units were installed. you won't believe what we saw. at 2:47 the robot dropped the crimping tool that was used to connect the side panel to the frame. after he picked it up, he realized the unit he was working on had passed down the line... and instead of backing the line up so he could complete the unit, he just threw his hands into the air as if to say 'aw fuck it, i quit', and then walked right off.

Davis looked over at Donald and Kristen as they sat in the break room eating lunch. "can you believe that?"

Kristen was putting cream cheese on a bagel, and replied casually "probably an operational glitch... i wouldn't worry about it."

"but his behavior seemed so human-like, man," he said, sipping on a diet coke and looking thoughtfully at the aluminum can.

Donald switched on the TV as the three of them continued eating their lunch without further thought.

the Tink model 304 was never used on the line again. it ended up being disassembled and used for replacement parts. the factory management never spoke about the strange event, but Davis would never forget it.

April 22, 2174... the day that Tink walks amok
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

clear skies lay overhead the san fernando valley as Andrea drove down the freeway in the little convertable volkswagen rabbit. she was on her way to the galleria, and the traffic was jammed because of rush hour. "oh my god... like why is there all this traffic," she complained as she tugged on a giant, orange hoop earring. she had driven this way almost everyday for the last five years, and still she acted surprised at the traffic jams.

Andrea sat in the middle of traffic in the 1984 rabbit and propped an elbow on the window, waiting for the traffic to start moving again. the summer heat was almost unbearable. "gawd!" she scowled impatiently, and hit the steering wheel with her right hand. "like what is the deal!"

across two lanes a truck beeped its horn and Andrea looked over. "hey baby, where'ya going," shouted the quarterback of the highschool football team, Todd, leaning out of the truck window. his two buddies in the cab were drinking beer and laughing obnoxiously. "wanna get together, Andrea? we could catch a movie."

"pfft, yeah right, Todd. I don't date jocks," she answered arrogantly, twisting a lock of her hair in her fingers. she rolled her eyes and turned the radio up to drown out Todd and his friends.

"oh come on, Andrea, you know you want me!" Todd laughed as Derrick punched him in the arm and threw an empty beer can out the window. "yeah Andrea, quit being such a bitch!," shouted Derrick across Todd. they all fell into laughter and horseplay again. "oh my god you are so gross, Todd! like, gag me with a smurf... no way!"

finally the traffic started moving and Andrea hit the gas, lurching forward. Todd beeped the horn as she sped off. "he's such a total loser," Andrea assured herself as she watched the truck fade in the rear view mirror.

"oh my god this song is so bitchin'!' Duran Duran was on the radio now, and she tapped her fingers on the wheel as she drove on, singing horribly out of key.

she pulled into the galleria parking lot and walked into the mall. after buying a milkshake from the pretzel stand she continued toward the clothing store across from the arcade.

two hours later she emerged from the store with five bags she could barely carry. she staggered through the mall to the exit, opened the door, and pushed herself and the five bags through with an audible "umph!"

"oh my god, like why are these doors so small," she complained indignantly. "i'm so sure!"

she gathered herself and stumbled clumsily into the parking lot... but before she managed to take three steps, she stepped on a big glob of melted bubble gum. Andrea looked down at her high-heel, exhaled loudly, and dropped her bags in frustration. "grody to the max!," she sighed aloud.

she finally plopped down on the curb, removed her high-heel, stood up, picked up her bags, and began trying to hop across the parking lot to her car, in a mini skirt. it was the most ridiculous thing you've ever seen, but it made perfect sense... because Andrea was a valley girl

Moon Unit Zappa as Andrea.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Btw this is old stuff I wrote at another forum to promote Zappa's music. Little creative writing endeavor from years ago. I think I was smoking pot then.

allison poured herself a cup of coffee and stood by the drink machine as the other employees filed down the hallway toward the elevators. she needed the overtime, and she was making some major progress in her research. it's become something of an obsession for her; why weren't the catalysts necessary for intercellular disintegration?

she sipped her coffee and stared at the bulletin board, thinking. on the board was pinned the roster for the developmental micro-organism and germ research program. beside it the list of protocols. allison saw her name at the bottom of the roster and sighed. "one day i'll be at the top of that list," she thought to herself as she crushed the paper coffee cup in a fist, tossed it into the basket, and set off down the hall toward the laboratory.

she put her lab coat on, sat down at her microscope and pressed play on the CD player, song number 6... Natural Science. it was Permanent Waves, her favorite album by Rush.

carefully placing the slide under the scope, she adjusted the focus and peered into the eyepiece. the sample of the tl-7 bacteria was still stable. "its morphology is so stange," she whispered to herself. "why does it possess characteristics of myxobacteria, but is incapable of quorum sensing?"

she took her eyes away, got up, and walked across the lab to the refrigerator where the agar stab cultures were stored. the sterile tl-7 was kept in a modfied dimethylsulfoxide solution. she looked at her watch and said to herself "this has got to be it. it has to work this time. three hours is long enough."

she sat back down and drew the solution into the dropper, then positioned it over the slide. drawing the sample into closer focus, she administered the solution. at once the tl-7 moved... its cellular walls changed to a dull greyish color. she paused and watched. "it's responding," she said in a quiet voice. "it's actually responding."

within thirty seconds the tl-7 broke down, disintegrating into a tiny mass of amino acids. the dropper fell from her hand as she raised her head from the microscope. "my god... it worked," she said with wide eyed disbelief. "these aren't real... i've done it! i've finally proved it. the internal hemorrhaging can't be caused by this. these are imaginary diseases!"
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

^^^ the Thompson Twins meet The Cure.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Vangelis - Irene Papas
Lamento https://youtu.be/OLiU4Ibm-s4
Menousis https://youtu.be/luY5U4zvKZ8
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Aphrodite's Child
Loud Loud Loud
https://youtu.be/uAhbVzwzZ6U

The Four Horsemen
https://youtu.be/QVExlaxaweo

Break
https://youtu.be/-WTNFuF6qiA
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Flash and the Pan
Lights in the Night
https://youtu.be/oe5N_jXD9zI

walking in the rain
https://youtu.be/-XqsK6Pdzhg
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

This Mortal Coil
The Jeweler
https://youtu.be/OffdLWJM4Xc
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

the room was silent except for the ticking of an old clock on the badly papered wall, and the faint sound of a spanish TV coming up through the floor. roland looked one last time in the mirror, fine tuning his sepia toned tie and his smile. his hair was lightly cropped and slicked back.

roland was a business man, and Marcino always said a member of the family had to look good to do business.

he glanced over at the picture above the little curio cabinet in the corner as he checked the cylinder of the nickel plated 38. snub-nose. it was a picture of his father... the kind with the eyes that follow you around the room.

he took a shot of bourbon with an unsteady hand, and set the shot-glass down with a loud thunk.

an impatient horn from the street below called through the window. roland holstered the 38., picked up the briefcase and walked toward the door as the hardwood floor creaked and protested under his feet. the building was old, on the bad side of town, but roland knew he was destined for better things. his father once told him the event of success was only for those who had the guts to make it happen... and tonight was roland's big event
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

wire train
I gotta go
https://youtu.be/ViofU4hfd0Y
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Eyes of God
East of Eden
https://youtu.be/YawMegDT5cQ