Trump: acquitted

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 9939
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Trump: acquitted

Post by henry quirk »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:46 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:00 pm :thumbsup:
MORON
Yer Ma's keister is callin, lookin' for some of that good lovin': better hop to, boy.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 9939
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Trump: acquitted

Post by henry quirk »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:50 pm Trump is as guilty as hell.

What happened with his acquittal demonstrates the failure of US democracy.
When a matter of law is mediated by a political vote this abuses the most fundamental principle of modern democratic governance.
The president is now above the law. This is exactly the characteristic failure of governance that the US revolution was designed to avoid. When the King can act regardless of law, then we have a problem.

As bad as it is the UK last year demonstrated how things should be done. When BOJO prorogued parliament, his government had to face a legal process that found the government in breach of the law; Parliament was re-instated.
Trump's crime is on a massively greater scale. Not only was his actions in the Ukraine specifically designed to subvert free and fair elections, but he also failed to co-operate with the legal process by failing to provide information.
Aquitted

suck it up, baby
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 9939
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Trump: acquitted

Post by henry quirk »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:41 am
henry quirk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:32 am Doesn't matter. You're an upstanding moralist (not a good thing in Flash's book, synonymous with crapsack).
Hey, at least I'm a happy crapsack. :D
Yes, you are... :thumbsup:
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4293
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Trump: acquitted

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:00 pm :thumbsup:
Yippee!! Dishonesty, corruption, and stupidity continue to reign supreme and unchecked!! And we can mindlessly pretend that a big fucking game in Washington delivers the truth for us all!
User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 12314
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Trump: acquitted

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote:No, you gave a whole buncha out of context quotes.

I know for a fact most or all are out of context cuz I heard Trump makin' some of those comments on *C-SPAN, and -- in context -- none of them are lies. Politifact dis-embeds quotes, deprives them of proper context, solely to discredit, and therefore has no credibility. ...
Nonsense, even ignoring that the Trumpette can barely form a sentence let alone a paragraph for context, each of those examples are pretty much assertions he made as though they were facts and all of them have been shown to be false and hence lies, ones designed to pander to an audience he obviously considers gullible and stupid. Tell you what, show me how context can make them true, pick, say, four pages in the third assertion down(no idea what it is) and provide the context you say makes it true. If we can do that for a random fair number of the assertions I'll give you your case.
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9504
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Trump: acquitted

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:03 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:27 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:58 pm

Why would I do that?
Because he's a decent person, intelligent, and he doesn't talk as if he's just had a massive stroke.
He's a commie even the Dems in power don't want.

I'll pass.
No doubt. An intelligent US president is rather an oxymoron, especially as yanks don't even know what a communist is.
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 2633
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Trump: acquitted

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:51 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:27 am And then there's the question of whether you upstanding moralists would finally turn on him if he tried to use executive privilige to shield his children from prosecution in such a case.
You forget; I'm not a Trumpian. I'm just an amused bystander. And from an impartial perspective, the convulsions of the Democrats are just amazing theatre. It's like watching a car accident in slow motion.
Do you consider yourself impartial?
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 9939
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Trump: acquitted

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote:Yippee!! Dishonesty, corruption, and stupidity continue to reign supreme and unchecked!! And we can mindlessly pretend that a big fucking game in Washington delivers the truth for us all!
Yeah, cuz unfortunately, the democrats ain't goin' nowhere.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 10460
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Trump: acquitted

Post by Immanuel Can »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:45 pm Do you consider yourself impartial?
I consider myself very amused. :D
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 9939
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Trump: acquitted

Post by henry quirk »

"each of those examples are pretty much assertions he made as though they were facts and all of them have been shown to be false and hence lies"

Nope. As I say, a goodly chunk of them quotes were heard by me, in their proper context.

Politifact is for crap.

#

"show me..."

Nope. Go get C-SPAN and do your own fact-checkin'.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 9939
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Trump: acquitted

Post by henry quirk »

"yanks don't even know what a communist is."

Oh, I know the spiel: Bernie is Democratic Socialist, and, socialism and communism aren't the same.

Yeah, sure, okay, fine... :thumbsdown:
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9504
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Trump: acquitted

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:13 pm "yanks don't even know what a communist is."

Oh, I know the spiel: Bernie is Democratic Socialist, and, socialism and communism aren't the same.

Yeah, sure, okay, fine... :thumbsdown:
All Western democracies are 'communist' by your reckoning. Any country that has good universal healthcare and education is 'communist' in your book. You clearly have a very high opinion of 'communism'.
Bakhita
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:28 pm

Re: Trump: acquitted

Post by Bakhita »

I would hope that with the impeachment attempt fizzled out (was there ever any doubt about the acquittal?) that democrats will stop relying on it to fuel their campaigns, and maybe try to appeal to moderates for once. The behavior of Speaker Pelosi the night before, however, doesn't inspire any confidence in me. The agenda seems to be more of the same.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 9939
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Trump: acquitted

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:28 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:13 pm "yanks don't even know what a communist is."

Oh, I know the spiel: Bernie is Democratic Socialist, and, socialism and communism aren't the same.

Yeah, sure, okay, fine... :thumbsdown:
All Western democracies are 'communist' by your reckoning. Any country that has good universal healthcare and education is 'communist' in your book. You clearly have a very high opinion of 'communism'.
Yes, of course, sure... :thumbsdown:
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4293
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Trump: acquitted

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:03 pm
Lacewing wrote:Yippee!! Dishonesty, corruption, and stupidity continue to reign supreme and unchecked!! And we can mindlessly pretend that a big fucking game in Washington delivers the truth for us all!
Yeah, cuz unfortunately, the democrats ain't goin' nowhere.
Do you think republicans are? :lol: This madness infects both sides, and it's not to anyone's advantage. Seems more likely to implode than get sorted out.
Post Reply