Quote of the day

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

promethean75

Re: Quote of the day

Post by promethean75 »

"by being who, that by being whom what one is, one whom becomes who is what one is by being, one will indubitably be who one is"

- Saint Balbaderos del Aksinata
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Ralph Ellison from Invisible Man

I can hear you say, "What a horrible, irresponsible bastard!" And you're right. I leap to agree with you. I am one of the most irresponsible beings that ever lived. Irresponsibility is part of my invisibility; any way you face it, it is a denial. But to whom can I be responsible, and why should I be, when you refuse to see me? And wait until I reveal how truly irresponsible I am. Responsibility rests upon recognition, and recognition is a form of agreement.

Being a bastard myself, I hear that.

To see around corners is enough (that is not unusual when you are invisible). But to hear around them is too much; it inhibits action.

Being invisible mself, I hear that.

Then in my mind's eye I see the bronze statue of the college Founder, the cold Father symbol, his hands outstretched in the breathtaking gesture of lifting a veil that flutters in hard, metallic folds above the face of a kneeling slave; and I am standing puzzled, unable to decide whether the veil is really being lifted, or lowered more firmly in place; whether I am witnessing a revelation or a more efficient blinding.

Next up: the veils here.

We create the race by creating ourselves and then to our great astonishment we will have created something far more important: We will have created a culture. Why waste time creating a conscience for something that doesn't exist? For, you see, blood and skin do not think!

Next up: our culture.

My hole is warm and full of light. Yes, full of light. I doubt if there is a brighter spot in all New York than this hole of mine, and I do not exclude Broadway. Or the Empire State Building on a photographer's dream night. But that is taking advantage of you. Those two spots are among the darkest of our whole civilization...which might sound like a hoax, or a contradiction, but that (by contradiction, I mean) is how the world moves: Not like an arrow, but a boomerang.

Karma some call it.

To hell with being ashamed of what you liked.

Let's just assume there are exceptions.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:33 am Since taking over our "Quote of the Day" thread...are you EVER going to post ANYTHING that resembles HUMOUR ......EVER

or am I wrong again, is this ONION vomit with your pathetic comments NOT supposed to be humourous? - well then...WELL DONE!!

Perhaps this IS a DEEP PHILOSOPHICAL JOURNEY YOU ARE TAKING US ALL ON...a journey into BOREDOM.

..perhaps you are attempting to see how many people you can drive away from the forum...or life itself..
Pick one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mental_disorders

Then get back to us. I'm assuming of course that, as with AGE, it's beyond his control. :wink:
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Existential Comics

People make fun of James Cameron for having characters say stuff like "let's kill the environment because I love MONEY and am EVIL" but you literally cannot make it too obvious, because half the country can only recognize villains if you model them after our geopolitical enemies.

Yeah, what about that?!

Stoicism, the ancient Greek philosophy that claims everyone will be happier if they just chill the fuck out for once in their lives, is still to this day the wisest philosophy ever created.

Factoring in dasein of course.

No one talks about it but the biggest nerds on earth are found at the gym.

What, including Joe Gold's?!

Dudes who know like 36 different ways to do a push up, the names of all the muscles each one builds, the chemical composition of every food item, and why it will synergize with their nerd ass pushups.

Actually, I used to be one myself. No, really. Back in the Larry Scott, Dave Draper, Sergio Oliva days.

Just spitballing here but I think we should form some kind of secret cabal that infiltrates schools and the media to indoctrinate the youth into communist ideology and usher in a New World Order.

Who will join him?!!

Reading the Communist Manifesto and nodding my head the whole time so the people on the bus know I agree with it.

Who hasn't that happened to?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:19 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:33 am Since taking over our "Quote of the Day" thread...are you EVER going to post ANYTHING that resembles HUMOUR ......EVER

or am I wrong again, is this ONION vomit with your pathetic comments NOT supposed to be humourous? - well then...WELL DONE!!

Perhaps this IS a DEEP PHILOSOPHICAL JOURNEY YOU ARE TAKING US ALL ON...a journey into BOREDOM.

..perhaps you are attempting to see how many people you can drive away from the forum...or life itself..
Pick one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mental_disorders

Then get back to us. :wink:
So how does this work, do I get a gold star if I pick the correct mental disorder that you have. :P
shelby

Post by shelby »

The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. - Steve Jobs
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Max Stirner from The Ego and Its Own

Entitled or unentitled — that does not concern me, if I am only powerful, I am of myself empowered, and need no other empowering and entitling.

Pick one:
1] bully
2] thug
3] uberman

The habit of the religious way of thinking has biased our mind so grievously that we are – terrified at ourselves in our nakedness and naturalness; it has degraded us so that we deem ourselves depraved by nature, born devils.

Hey, if the shoe fits.

Moral influence takes its start where humiliation begins; yes, it is nothing else than this humiliation itself, the breaking and bending of the temper down to humility.

Any of the humiliated here?

...it is only through the 'flesh' that I can break the tyranny of mind; for it is only when a man hears his flesh along with the rest of him that he hears himself wholly.

In other words, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Language or “the word” tyrannizes hardest over us, because it brings up against us a whole army of fixed ideas.

Ah, the pinheads. Who, having tyrannized themselves, are then out to tyrannize the rest of us. If you let them.

The man who is set free is nothing but a freed man, a libertinus, a dog dragging a piece of chain with him: he is an unfree man in the garment of freedom, like the ass in the lion’s skin.

You know, whatever that means.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

he means the man who is set free is different than the man who takes his freedom whether he is allowed it or not. the former is an ass, the latter a lion.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Fugitive Bolsonaro Coup Supporters Hide Deep In Amazon Rainforest’s Last Remaining Tree

Last two trees actually.

Weird Man Begins Every Morning By Dousing His Naked Body In Water

He calls it "a shower".

Study Reveals That Girls Who Play Princess Grow Up With Skewed Perceptions Of The Role Of Modern Monarchy In A Democratic Society

Next up: boys who play Prince Harry.

Zoo Assures Public Escaped Leopard Will Kill Them Quickly

And if it doesn't?

Kamala Harris Assures Public No One Has Given Her A Single Classified Document

Besides, she doesn't own a Corvette.

Raging Wildfire Disgusted By Kitchen Stove Flame’s Subservience To Humans

Anthropomorphism on steroids!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:29 pm The Onion

Fugitive Bolsonaro Coup Supporters Hide Deep In Amazon Rainforest’s Last Remaining Tree

Last two trees actually.
Ok. That was good one. :D
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Gertrude Stein from The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas

She always says she dislikes the abnormal, it is so obvious. She says the normal is so much more simply complicated and interesting.

Of course, you're own abnormal may be entirely different.

A little artist has all the tragic unhappiness and the sorrows of a great artist and he is not a great artist.

Next up: a little philosopher.

I like a view but I like to sit with my back turned to it.

If you know what she means.

After a while I murmured to Picasso that I liked his portrait of Gertrude Stein. Yes, he said, everybody says that she does not look like it but that does not make any difference, she will, he said.

Decide for yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portrait_ ... rude_Stein

Sure, she said, as Pablo once remarked, when you make a thing, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly, but those that do it after you they don't have to worry about making it and they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when the others make it.

Well, that certainly explains something I suppose.

The important thing, she insists, is that you must have deep down as the deepest thing in you a sense of equality. Then anybody will do anything for you.

How's that working out for you?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

600,000 Americans Go Missing Every Year: Here’s Why You Still Aren’t Seeing Cheaper Kidney Prices

No, really, that is puzzling.

Man Who Stopped Dieting Already Seeing Results

The "Blimp" they call him

Passersby Can’t Help But Stare At Woman’s Huge Kids

Blimps, he called them.

Man Worried Antidepressants Will Leave Trace Of Original Personality

And well he should be.

Troubled Iowa Teen Sculpts Butter AR-15

Though, come on, it could be any state.

All Flights Grounded After FAA Officials Suddenly Realize That Man Was Not Meant To Fly

Indeed: https://youtu.be/Svrhf3dKJ60
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Don DeLillo from White Noise

How strange it is. We have these deep terrible lingering fears about ourselves and the people we love. Yet we walk around, talk to people, eat and drink. We manage to function. The feelings are deep and real. Shouldn't they paralyze us? How is it we can survive them, at least for a little while? We drive a car, we teach a class. How is it no one sees how deeply afraid we were, last night, this morning? Is it something we all hide from each other, by mutual consent? Or do we share the same secret without knowing it? Wear the same disguise?

So, psychobabble or not?

No sense of the irony of human experience, that we are the highest form of life on earth, and yet ineffably sad because we know what no other animal knows, that we must die.

And now at 86 all the more so.

I've got death inside me. It's just a question of whether or not I can outlive it.

Of course, no one has so far.

California deserves whatever it gets. Californians invented the concept of life-style. This alone warrants their doom.

Cue the rain gods.

The greater the scientific advance, the more primitive the fear.

Smart phones? Terrified.

It is possible to be homesick for a place even when you are there.

You tell me.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Every Lie George Santos Has Told About His Life Thus Far

He's now on track to surpass Trump by Labor Day.

Report: Trying To Hug Oncoming Train Still Leading Cause Of Death For Nation’s Idiots

Imagine then the nation's pinheads!

Man Given 3 Months To Live Throws In One Or Two Non-Sexual Things To Do

Right, like that's even possible.

5-Year-Old Reluctantly Lets Crying Mom Sleep In His Bed Again

Let's not go any further, okay?

Frustrated Man Doesn’t Know What Else He Can Do To Get Cat Purring

So, what did you resort to?

3 Dozen Chemical, Emotional Responses Activated By Phrase ‘Pigs In A Blanket'

And that's just pertaining to cops.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Mark Z. Danielewski from House of Leaves

Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes. The violence comes from a combination of giving up, not caring, and a resignation that getting past it is all you can hope to accomplish. So you kill the hour. You do not work, you do not read, you do not daydream. If you sleep it is not because you need to sleep. And when at last it is over, there is no evidence: no weapon, no blood, and no body. The only clue might be the shadows beneath your eyes or a terribly thin line near the corner of your mouth indicating something has been suffered, that in the privacy of your life you have lost something and the loss is too empty to share.

Like most of us posting here, for example.

Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.

Your passion might be different.

Maturity, one discovers, has everything to do with the acceptance of ‘not knowing.

Of course: The gap!

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Let's write a book about it.

It may be the wrong decision, but fuck it, it's mine.

That's one point of view, sure.

We all create stories to protect ourselves.

And some of them are actually true.
Last edited by iambiguous on Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.