Quote of the day

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

iambiguous

Re: Quote of the day

Post by iambiguous »

Milan Kundera from The Unbearable Lightness of Being

On the surface, an intelligible lie; underneath, the unintelligible truth.

In the is/ought world, let's say.

Sometimes you make up your mind about something without knowing why, and your decision persists by the power of inertia. Every year it gets harder to change.

Ah, the "human-all-too-human condition" again.

Love is a battle, said Marie-Claude, still smiling. And I plan to go on fighting. To the end.
Love is a battle? said Franz. Well, I don't feel at all like fighting. And he left.

Meaning this: that sometimes women are from Mars and men are from Venus.

The very beginning of Genesis tells us that God created man in order to give him dominion over fish and fowl and all creatures. Of course, Genesis was written by a man, not a horse. There is no certainty that God actually did grant man dominion over other creatures. What seems more likely, in fact, is that man invented God to sanctify the dominion that he had usurped for himself over the cow and the horse.

Let's run that by her here.
And him there.

To rebel against being born a woman seemed as foolish to her as to take pride in it.

Wow! Not unlike being born a man.

Being in a foreign country means walking a tightrope high above the ground without the net afforded a person by the country where he has his family, colleagues, and friends, and where he can easily say what he has to say in a language he has known from childhood.

Let's call it, "Language on that whole other 'for all practical purposes' rooted in dasein level."
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:25 pm Milan Kundera from The Unbearable Lightness of Being

...let's just admit to the firmament of human bullshit we exist within.

Sometimes you make up your mind about something without knowing why, and your decision persists by the power of inertia. Every year it gets harder to change.

..human inertia is just a mind full of bollocks behind the wheel of a car.

Love is a battle, said Marie-Claude, still smiling. And I plan to go on fighting. To the end.
Love is a battle? said Franz. Well, I don't feel at all like fighting. And he left.

..yes a real man is Venus - me aka Lucifer.

The very beginning of Genesis tells us that God created man in order to give him dominion over fish and fowl and all creatures. Of course, Genesis was written by a man, not a horse. There is no certainty that God actually did grant man dominion over other creatures. What seems more likely, in fact, is that man invented God to sanctify the dominion that he had usurped for himself over the cow and the horse.

And him there.

...apart from attofish...be_cause he was a cause. ...and stupid people grew to hate him.

To rebel against being born a woman seemed as foolish to her as to take pride in it.

..how was she foolish? Just think of oysters while she sucks.

Being in a foreign country means walking a tightrope high above the ground without the net afforded a person by the country where he has his family, colleagues, and friends, and where he can easily say what he has to say in a language he has known from childhood.

Let's call it, "Language on that whole other 'for all practical purposes' rooted in dasein level."
..no fucker knows what your attempting to convey there, but do let atto know if me popping in for a little larf is pissing u off?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:41 pm
iambiguous wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:25 pm Milan Kundera from The Unbearable Lightness of Being

And him there.

...apart from attofish...be_cause he was a cause. ...and stupid people grew to hate him.

..no fucker knows what your attempting to convey there, but do let atto know if me popping in for a little larf is pissing u off?
Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Really, out of the blue...this?!

Note to AGE:

SHOW him how IT'S done, OKAY? :roll:
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:25 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:41 pm

And him there.

Sounds like a personal problem to me.

Really, out of the blue...this?!

Note to AGE:

SHOW him how IT'S done, OKAY?
Ya what is it with you and Age, you really have a kindred bond?

You really seem to be on par with intelligence (that is to say, that you both don't think it is required in philosophy)
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:30 pm

You really seem to be on par with intelligence (that is to say, that you both don't think it is required in philosophy)
It's a damn shame that Philosophy Now magazine forum has to attract lowest common denominator "minds" like his. But what can you do in our lowest common denominator internet world.

You know, whatever that means.

And unless, of course, I'm wrong.

8)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:30 pm

It's a damn shame that Philosophy Now magazine forum has to attract lowest common denominator "minds" like his. But what can you do in our lowest common denominator internet world.

One day you will champion that day by finally being right.

Of course, your grandma will wake you up from that dream and you will remember that attofishpi was right again. 8) ..of course which means you are still a dickhead.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:34 pm
iambiguous wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:30 pm

One day you will champion that day by finally being right.

Of course, your grandma will wake you up from that dream and you will remember that attofishpi was right again. 8) ..of course which means you are still a dickhead.
There's absolutely nothing that I could possibly post here that would make a bigger fool of him than he manages to make out of himself.

Herself? Itself?

Oh, just once to actually be challenged by one of these witless wonders!!!

Oh, yeah, almost forgot:

Whatever that means.

And unless, of course, I'm wrong. 8)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

..pathetic
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:44 pm..pathetic
Damn! He thumped me again!!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:46 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:44 pm..pathetic
Damn! He thumped me again!!
Wow!

Spoken like a true USAdian (without an ounce of wit)

,,,go on, say it again.

Don't worry, I'll probably fall asleep soon, so you can rest assured that you are a witless kunt without me needing to remind you.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Brazilians Terrified That Riot Could Lead To Tedious Congressional Hearings

Well, the red state Brazilians anyway.

Man Has Real Thing For Blond-Haired, Blue-Eyed Aryans Of Pure Breeding Stock

Yo, AJ!
You know, among others.

Police Ask For Public’s Help In Falsifying Report

Well, that was inevitable.

Woman Relieved Soulmate Turned Out To Be In Same Socioeconomic Bracket

Let's send her here: https://sugardaddie.com/

New Tesla Model To Include Undercarriage Thresher To Shred All Evidence Of Running Someone Over

Elon Musk: Genius!

Study Finds Early Humans Selectively Bred Corn To Be Less Aggressive

Girly corn we call it today.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Sylvia Plath from The Bell Jar

I wanted to do everything once and for all and be through with it.

There are two versions of this...if you get my drift.

If there's anything I look down on, it's a man in a blue outfit.

She means uniform of course.

The day I went into physics class it was death.

That I can believe.

I decided I would put off the novel until I had gone to Europe and had a lover, and that I would never learn a word of shorthand. If I never learned shorthand I would never have to use it.

Of course, we know how that turned out.

I hadn't slept for seven nights. My mother told me I must have slept, it was impossible not to sleep in all that time, but if I slept, it was with my eyes wide open, for I had followed the green, luminous course of the second hand and the minute hand and the hour hand of the bedside clock through their circles and semi-circles, every night for seven nights, without missing a second, or a minute, or an hour.

No, really, imagine actually doing that.

I hated to serve men in any way.

Yo, Ted!
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

God

When you do it it's war, genocide, cancer, hunger, misery, and suffering of every description. When I do it it's "mysterious ways".

See, didn't I tell you?

Jesus died for your sins and soon the Earth will too.

So much for the Second Coming.

I'm going to hit the universe once with My hand and see if that fixes it.

Nope, nothing yet.

Wishing you all a happy and Twitter-less New Year.

You'll find God here now: https://universeodon.com/@TheTweetOfGod

I don’t miss Twitter but I do miss insulting Twitter on Twitter.]

Not only that but he sent His Tesla to the car crusher.

Never let the fear of failing keep you from failing.

How's that going for you?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Jeff Beck

After I saw Jimi Hendrix play, I just went home and wondered what the fuck I was going to do with my life.

Now we know.

My first wife said, 'It's either that guitar or me,' you know -- and I give you three guesses which one went.

Anyone here doubt that?

Nowadays music is as disposable as a McDonald's wrapper.

Not here of course: https://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=177676

I play purely from the heart, y'know, and so if it doesn't work the first couple of hours, forget it.

Or, occasionally, the first couple of days.

... by far the most astonishing guitar player ever has got to be Django Reinhardt ... Django was quite superhuman, There's nothing normal about him as a person or a player.

Never heard of him, right?

I play the way I do cause it allows me to come up with the sickest sounds possible. That's the point now isn't it?

You tell me.

https://youtu.be/OvSV2c1ODak
https://youtu.be/SfcnIMZq6is
https://youtu.be/MDTcmavN5Rc
https://youtu.be/RD4Gmwo0E_0
https://youtu.be/nmO0OZC6Ifk
https://youtu.be/UB0IG9bTWq8
https://youtu.be/5vyu7jAnwZs
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Since taking over our "Quote of the Day" thread...are you EVER going to post ANYTHING that resembles HUMOUR ......EVER

or am I wrong again, is this ONION vomit with your pathetic comments NOT supposed to be humourous? - well then...WELL DONE!!

Perhaps this IS a DEEP PHILOSOPHICAL JOURNEY YOU ARE TAKING US ALL ON...a journey into BOREDOM.

..perhaps you are attempting to see how many people you can drive away from the forum...or life itself..