Quote of the day

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

iambiguous

Re: Quote of the day

Post by iambiguous »

Germaine Greer

The housewife is an unpaid worker in her husband's house in return for the security of being a permanent employee: hers is the reductio ad absurdum of the employee who accepts a lower wage in return for permanence of his employment. But the lowest paid employees can be and are laid off, and so are wives. They have no savings, no skills which they can bargain with elsewhere, and they must bear the stigma of having been sacked.

Eunuchs let's call them.

Status ought not to be measured by a woman's ability to attract and snare a man.

What, not even voluptuous women?!

We still make love to organs and not people...

Right, and absolutely no exceptions of course.

If you think you are emancipated, you might consider the idea of tasting your own menstrual blood --- if it makes you sick, you've got a long way to go, baby.

Uh, tell us about it?

Freud is the father of psychoanalysis. It has no mother.

Let's explain why.

Love, love, love – all the wretched cant of it, masking egotism, lust, masochism, fantasy under a mythology of sentimental postures, a welter of self-induced miseries and joys, blinding and masking the essential personalities in the frozen gestures of courtship, in the kissing and the dating and the desire, the compliments and the quarrels which vivify its barrenness.

Pick one:
1] too cynical
2] not cynical enough
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Philosophy Tweets

"What can be added to the happiness of a man who is in health, out of debt, and has a clear conscience?" Adam Smith

Great sex with a voluptuous woman half his age? 8)

"Sometimes the truth is too simple for intellectuals.” Jean-Paul Sartre

Or: "Sometimes the truth is too complex for pinheads.”

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." Jean-Paul Sartre

On the contrary, we have dozens of hopelessly conflicting objectivists right here who will tell us precisely how to live.

"Life has no meaning the moment you lose the illusion of being eternal." Jean-Paul Sartre

Essentially, as it were.

"To be is to do - Socrates
To do is to be - Sartre
Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra"
Kurt Vonnegut

It's always important to bring this one back around, right?

"A mind at peace does not engender wars." Sophocles

Well, until another mind at peace challenges it for having the wrong peace.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Sylvia Plath from The Bell Jar

Then I decided I would spend the summer writing a novel.
That would fix a lot of people.

You know, like posting here. Only at least a thousand times more real.

What a man wants is a mate and what a woman wants is infinite security,’ and, ‘What a man is is an arrow into the future and a what a woman is is the place the arrow shoots off from.

Or kind of let's say.

All the heat and fear had purged itself. I felt surprisingly at peace. The bell jar hung suspended a few feet above my head. I was open to the circulating air.

Yeah, that happened to me once too. Though not since.

It is as if my life were magically run by two electric currents: joyous positive and despairing negative --- which ever is running at the moment dominates my life, floods it.

Joyous positive? I'll let you know when that happens, he said.

The only reason I remembered this play was because it had a mad person in it, and everything I had ever read about mad people stuck in my mind, while everything else flew out.

Way out for example.

That afternoon my mother had brought me the roses.
"Save them for my funeral," I'd said.

Prophetic let's call it.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Philosophy Tweets

"Oh, how I regret not having worn a bikini for the entire year I was 26. If anyone young is reading this, go, right this minute, put on a bikini, and don't take it off until you're 34." Nora Ephron

Sure, let us know how that goes for you.

"As far as the men who are running for president are concerned, they aren't even people I would date." Nora Ephron

Not counting Barry Obama, one suspects.

"Death is a sniper. It strikes people you love, people you like, people you know --- it's everywhere. You could be next. But then you turn out not to be. But then again, you could be." Nora Ephron

Yo, Mr. Putin! You're up!!

“I have always thought the actions of men the best interpreters of their thoughts.” John Locke

Wow! Who would have figured that?!!

“The only defense against the world is a thorough knowledge of it.” John Locke

:lol:
Though, sure, he probably meant it.

"What the age needs is not a genius but a martyr, who in order to teach men to obey would himself be obedient unto death." Soren Kierkegaard

:lol:
Though, sure, he probably meant it.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Ralph Ellison from Invisible Man

What and how much had I lost by trying to do only what was expected of me instead of what I myself had wished to do?

You know, when that is actually an option.

When I discover who I am, I’ll be free.

Wow, does that take me back.

Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in face of certain defeat.

Eventually, for example.

I am an invisible man. No I am not a spook like those who haunted Edgar Allen Poe: Nor am I one of your Hollywood movie ectoplasms. I am a man of substance, of flesh and bone, fiber and liquids, and I might even be said to possess a mind. I am invisible, simply because people refuse to see me.

He wondered, then, what that made him here?

I was never more hated than when I tried to be honest. Or when, even as just now I've tried to articulate exactly what I felt to be the truth.

Who does that remind you of?

I remember that I'm invisible and walk softly so as not awake the sleeping ones. Sometimes it is best not to awaken them; there are few things in the world as dangerous as sleepwalkers.

Being one here myself, for example.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Report: Trying To Hug Oncoming Train Still Leading Cause Of Death For Nation’s Idiots

Next up: the nation's pinheads.

Ice Machine Reaches Deep Within Itself To Give Man One More Cube

Let's start noting these things.

Man’s Garbage To Have Much More Significant Effect On Planet Than He Will

Not many that isn't applicable to, right?

Assisted Living Center Gives Residents Independence To Wander Off And Die On Their Own

Some even encouraging it.

Woman’s Parents Accepting Of Mixed-Attractiveness Relationship

No, seriously, would you?

Mother Informs Children That Grandpa Has Died For Real This Time

Though still no word about Daddy.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Note to others ... :lol:

What is one to make of an asshole who can't distinguish one daily quote, from one daily list of quotes, even after being advised?

Obviously, there's some kind of mental challenge in play with such a one. Some kind of abberation.

Some kind of childish, passive/aggressiveness going on.

Further advice: Grow up, and be an asshole no more.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Fyodor Dostoevsky from The Brothers Karamazov

Be not forgetful of prayer. Every time you pray, if your prayer is sincere, there will be new feeling and new meaning in it, which will give you fresh courage, and you will understand that prayer is an education.

That sure takes me back. And then some.

Remember particularly that you cannot be a judge of anyone. For no one can judge a criminal until he recognizes that he is just such a criminal as the man standing before him, and that he perhaps is more than all men to blame for that crime.

Kinda makes sense, right? But, perhaps, no more than it kinda doesn't.

Do you know I've been sitting here thinking to myself: that if I didn't believe in life, if I lost faith in the woman I love, lost faith in the order of things, were convinced in fact that everything is a disorderly, damnable, and perhaps devil-ridden chaos, if I were struck by every horror of man's disillusionment -- still I should want to live. Having once tasted of the cup, I would not turn away from it till I had drained it!

Kinda makes sense, right? But, perhaps, no more than it kinda doesn't.

One can fall in love and still hate.

Talk about sheer torture. Well, it was for me, Supannika.

Love children especially, for they too are sinless like the angels; they live to soften and purify our hearts and, as it were, to guide us.

Of course, eventually, they become us, don't they? But, sure, point taken.

Man, do not pride yourself on your superiority to the animals, for they are without sin, while you, with all your greatness, you defile the earth wherever you appear and leave an ignoble trail behind you -- and that is true, alas, for almost every one of us!

Evolution let's call it.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Walker wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:32 am Note to others ... :lol:

What is one to make of an asshole who can't distinguish one daily quote, from one daily list of quotes, even after being advised?

Obviously, there's some kind of mental challenge in play with such a one. Some kind of abberation.

Some kind of childish, passive/aggressiveness going on.

Further advice: Grow up, and be an asshole no more.
Uh, get help? :wink:
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Biblical Historians Reveal Jesus Christ Chose Stage Name To Sound Less Jewish

Well, He was the Son of God, right?

Employee Wishes He Had Enough Job Security To Voice Opinion

Capitalism, let's call it.

Longtime Coffee Shop Employee Thought Customers Would Care More About His Last Day

And if this were my last day here?

Christian School Anatomy Textbook Shows Female Reproductive System Wearing Long Denim Skirt

In the shape of a fig leaf, of course.

Maze With Cheese In Center Enters Human Trials Following Decades Of Testing On Mice

You know, for the pinheads.

Group Of Friends Engage In Passionate, Incoherent Discussion About Current Events

Who do they remind you of? Here, I mean.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Walker wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:32 am Note to others ... :lol:

You're mis-categorizing him, W. He's no asshole. I'm an asshole. Him, he's just a garden-variety narcissist (fractured me, torn me, nihilistic me, etc). Even these posts, deriding him, feed him.

Put him in your penalty box and forget about him.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Wait a minute that's not fair. Why can't Biggs be an asshole too? R u saying that garden-variety narcissists can't be assholes? Unless you're using some kind of fuzzy logic, that's what u must mean. The only other alternative would be that Biggs isn't an asshole but for other reasons... and it just happens to be the case that Biggs is also a garden-variety narcissist. The one doesn't exclude the other and they only happen to coincide, iow.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Von Mises ‘proof’ has been debunked by Marxist economists more times than Trump has cheated on his wives" - Rosa (the red) Lichtenstein
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Exclusive event: George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel vs. Rosa Lichtenstein in a no-holds-barred battle for the law of the passage of quantitative changes into qualitative changes.

let's get it on!!

"The identity between quantity and quality, which is found in Measure, is at first only implicit, and not yet explicitly realised. In other words, these two categories, which unite in Measure, each claim an independent authority. On the one hand, the quantitative features of existence may be altered, without affecting its quality. On the other hand, this increase and diminution, immaterial though it be, has its limit, by exceeding which the quality suffers change. [...] But if the quantity present in measure exceeds a certain limit, the quality corresponding to it is also put in abeyance. This however is not a negation of quality altogether, but only of this definite quality, the place of which is at once occupied by another. This process of measure, which appears alternately as a mere change in quantity, and then as a sudden revulsion of quantity into quality, may be envisaged under the figure of a nodal (knotted) line." - G. Hegel

"Engels (and Hegel) were bad philosophers" - R. Lichtenstein
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

6zoczv.jpg
6zoczv.jpg (38.08 KiB) Viewed 823 times