Quote of the day

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

iambiguous

Re: Quote of the day

Post by iambiguous »

Philosophy Tweets

“Few people at the beginning of the nineteenth century needed an adman to tell them what they wanted.” John Kenneth Galbraith

I guess they never knew what they were missing.

"A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

This one again. And maybe someday I'll understand it.

"Sex is the consolation you have when you can't have love." Gabriel García Márquez

Yep, that always works for me, he chortled.

"Things have a life of their own," the gypsy proclaimed with a harsh accent. "It's simply a matter of waking up their souls." Gabriel García Márquez

No doubt about it: for better or worse.

“It's enough for me to be sure that you and I exist at this moment.” Gabriel Garcia Marquez

You know, if only virtually.

“What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it.” Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

Sometimes though it's definitely both.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Ed Yong

As paleontologist Andrew Knoll once said, "Animals might be evolution's icing, but bacteria are really the cake."

Thank God?

And the most extreme examples of this mutually assured success can be found in the deep oceans, where some microbes supplement their hosts to such a degree that the animals can eat the most impoverished diets of all – nothing.

Thank God?

The brain parasite Toxoplasma gondii is another puppetmaster. It can only sexually reproduce in a cat; if it gets into a rat, it suppresses the rodent’s natural fear of cat odours and replaces it with something more like sexual attraction. The rodent scurries towards nearby cats, with fatal results, and T. gondii gets to complete its life cycle.

Go figure, right?

Much of modern medicine is built upon the foundations that antibiotics provide, and those foundations are now crumbling.

So they keep telling us.

Our darkest fiction is full of Orwellian dystopias, shadowy cabals, and mind-controlling supervillains. But it turns out that the brainless, microscopic, single-celled organisms that live inside us have been pulling on our strings all along.

Do they know that?

We now know that gut microbes are part of this axis, in both directions. Since the 1970s, a trickle of studies have shown that any kind of stress – starvation, sleeplessness, being separated from one’s mother, the sudden arrival of an aggressive individual, uncomfortable temperatures, overcrowding, even loud noises – can change a mouse’s gut microbiome. The opposite is also true: the microbiome can affect a host’s behaviour, including its social attitudes and its ability to deal with stress.

So much for free will?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Nein

A gentle reminder that in German they spell it Sommer. With an o. Just to fuck with u.

Doesn't surprise us, does it?

I’m just here for the impending doom.

And the sound you hear is it getting closer and closer.

Tweet like nobody’s reading. Because they’re not.

Or: Post like nobody’s reading. Because they’re not.
Not counting the good posts of course.

Let’s be honest: the week never ends.

And not just this one.

You say you want a revolution. But you’d love a weekend.

You know, in the interim.

A gentle reminder that German words are not too long. Life is too short

But not too short for this one: Schadenfreude
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Brian Eno

Ambient music is intended to induce calm...

Go ahead, try not to be: https://youtu.be/OlaTeXX3uH8

Law is always better than war.

Tell that to these guys: https://about.bgov.com/top-defense-contractors/

The great benefit of computer sequencers is that they remove the issue of skill, and replace it with the issue of judgement.

Anyone here able to explain that?

Everybody is entertained to death.

Eventually for example.

Quite often, and in fact more often, I would say, I'm struggling all the way through to think, "What is it I like about this? What is the personality of this thing I'm hearing that I like so much?" And it's nearly always a sort of mixed emotion, which is why I like it. It's something that I have mixed feelings about in the sense that it's both, say, placid and dangerous, or bitter and sweet, or dark and bright.

I never, ever think about the music I listen to. Let alone like this.

...I make my own target around wherever my arrow happens to have landed.

Go ahead, try this yourself.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Harlan Ellison

The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.

Actually, it's the other way around.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Yo, gib! 8)

HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU.

Beat that, Age! 8)

I don't mind you thinking I'm stupid, but don't talk to me like I'm stupid.

Let's nail down the difference.

The trick is not becoming a writer. The trick is staying a writer.

And, no, not posting here.

The world is turning into a cesspool of imbeciles.

He means pinheads, of course.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Existential Comics

Very cool and normal to live in a Democracy where there are two parties, one who doesn't believe in democracy, and the other who doesn't believe in doing anything except winning elections against the other guys.

Well, at least unti the workers of the world take over.

Kids these days are always checking out the latest "apps" on their Smart Phones, when they should be completing the project of German Idealism.

Okay, Kids, a challenge!

Computer programmer: "this code is too complicated, maybe if I made it even more complicated it would be simpler."

How's that working out for you?

The thing you have to understand about UK politics is that, much like America, their entire country is filled with pig headed morons.

Yo, Brits! Sweltering or not, You're up!!

Western civilization has been a struggle between its two founding myths, Socrates (gay, horny, seek truth yourself) and Jesus (straight, not horny, believe what you are told).

Indeed, what doesn't that explain?

Under communism, all TV shows would be the same volume.

Commercial free of course.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Claes Oldenburg

Because my work is naturally non-meaningful, the meaning found in it will remain doubtful and inconsistent - which is the way it should be. All that I care about is that, like any startling piece of nature, it should be capable of stimulating meaning.

In other words, never try to explain art.

I'm in favor of an art that does something other than just sit on its ass in a museum.

Not unlike me being in favor of a philosophy that doesn't sit on its ass up in the clouds.

I am for an art that grows up not knowing it is art at all.

For example: https://www.google.com/search?source=un ... =625&dpr=1

I am for an art that takes its form from the lines of life itself, that twists and extends and accumulates and spits and drips, and is heavy and coarse and blunt and sweet and stupid as life itself.

You tell me: https://www.google.com/search?q=claes+o ... 5&biw=1366

The main reason for the colossal objects is the obvious one, to expand and intensify the presence of the vessel - the object.

Next up: colossal words.

I am for the art of underwear and the art of taxicabs. I am for the art of ice cream cones dropped on concrete.

"It's so deep it's meaningless" art let's call it.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Arnold J. Toynbee

Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now.

On the other hand, he died almost 50 years ago. Imagine his reaction to the world today.

The extinction of race consciousness as between Muslims is one of the outstanding achievements of Islam, and in the contemporary world there is, as it happens, a crying need for the propagation of this Islamic virtue.

On the other hand, he died almost 50 years ago. Imagine his reaction to the world today.

Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.

Right, like it can never be from both.

The only real struggle in the history of the world ... is between the vested interest and social justice.

The "class struggle" let's call it.

The aim of all education is, or should be, to teach people to educate themselves.

"Critical thinking" let's call it.

On this showing, the nature of the breakdowns of civilizations can be summed up in three points: a failure of creative power in the minority, an answering withdrawal of mimesis on the part of the majority, and a consequent loss of social unity in the society as a whole.

And then of course the pinhead factor.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Report: We Don’t Make Any Money If You Don’t Click The Fucking Link

We need a fucking link to click here.

Britain Battles Heat Wave By Turning Up London Eye To Highest Setting

Any Brits here know if it worked?

Newly Released Footage Of Uvalde Shooting Altered To Remove Police Laughter

Chortles actually.

Dairy Queen Fires Employee Who Discovered Blizzard Machine Gained Sentience

Can anyone here confirm this?

Man Dying From Cancer Spends Last Good Day On Phone With Insurance Company

On hold.

Distracted God Accidentally Puts Baby’s Soul In Envelope To Utility Company

Well at least we now know He exists.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Isaac Newton

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.

Any Giants here?

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies but not the madness of people.

Let alone the stupidity.

Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy.

Then how do you explain pinheads?

Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who sets the planets in motion.

Who or, say, what?

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being...This Being governs all things, not as the soul of the world, but as Lord over all; and on account of his dominion he is wont, to be called Lord God or Universal Ruler.

And he actually demonstrated this...how?

A man may imagine things that are false, but he can only understand things that are true.

:lol:
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Woman Getting IUD In Every Orifice Just In Case

Call it the post Roe world.

Democrats Worried Biden Will Be Healthy Enough To Run Again In 2024

As well they should be.

Strange, Nightmarish Incident Results In Man Waking Up As Giant Kafka

Coming to a YouTube video near you no doubt.

Area Man Accepts Burden Of Being Only Person On Earth Who Understands How World Actually Works

Yo, Ecmandu! They've found you!!

Ant Colony Comes To Halt After Death Of Popular Worker

Nothing in the news yet.

Regretful Officer Believes More Could Have Been Done To Kill Unarmed Black Man

Well, that was inevitable.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Banksy

I've never really understood why people sleep. Wasting a third of your life and becoming vulnerable for almost 8 hours every night. Doesn't seem very appealing to me.

The fucking dreams, you dolt!

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike.

You know, if that's an option.

People seem to think if they dress like a revolutionary they don`t actually have to behave like one.

Next up: dressing like a philosopher.

On Painting Rats, and the Glorification of Them. They exist without permission. They are hated, hunted and persecuted. They live in quiet desperation amongst the filth. And yet they are capable of bringing entire civilizations to their knees. If you are dirty, insignificant, and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model.

That shoe fit for anyone here?

Anyone who believes in capital punishment should be shot.

And not just in Texas.

Nobody ever listened to me until they didn't know who I was.

Want me to explain that?
Walker

Post by Walker »

iambiguous, excuse the interruption to your filibuster, but I’ve recently encountered a mind-expulsion that reminds me of this modified Churchill* quotation.

I would like to improve on Winston’s quotation. Take a moment to pause, and savor this one thought, before it gets buried.

“Madam, yes I am drunk, however, you have an ugly mind. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

* Looking backwards in time, some folks say Churchill had an ugly mind.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Kirstin Chen

One cannot refuse to eat just because there is a chance of being choked.

Not counting fish of course.

...when you grow up as I did, schooled in the supremacy of “face”—the figurative face, the image, reputation, honor that must be fought for and preserved at all costs—breaking free from constraints to think for oneself becomes a Herculean task.

For some, reality in a nutshell.

Ava, she said, that good-immigrant shit may work on white people, but it won’t work on me.

Any white folks here it didn't work on?

I know this is hard for you to believe, but Asian families are different from white families. We don’t talk the way you all do. I mean, we talk, of course we talk, but not about our fears, our pain, our deepest, darkest secrets.

Absolutely no exceptions of course.

Those luxury brands, they’re the villains.

You tell me.

All of us fixate on certain kinds of cheating, while willfully ignoring other kinds.

Human nature let's call it. For now, anyway.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Walker wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:50 pm iambiguous, excuse the interruption to your filibuster, but I’ve recently encountered a mind-expulsion that reminds me of this modified Churchill* quotation.

I would like to improve on Winston’s quotation. Take a moment to pause, and savor this one thought, before it gets buried.

“Madam, yes I am drunk, however, you have an ugly mind. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

* Looking backwards in time, some folks say Churchill had an ugly mind.
Note to others:

Any thoughts here?