Quote of the day

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Quote of the day

Post by Walker »

Willem de Kooning

In a quick scan I did catch this name. Fascinating that he continued working right into senility, but it did affect the quality. You can tell.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Walker wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:28 am Say there, iambiguous. Uh, what's all this about that you're doing?
God knows? 8)
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Ed Yong

Richard Stouthamer discovered a group of asexual, all-female wasps, which only reproduced by cloning themselves.

Fucking nature!

Every person aerosolises around 37 million bacteria per hour.

Next up: per lifetime.

It’s hard stuff, this science business, but someone’s got to do it.

More or less well compensated.

The Earth is 4.54 billion years old. A span of time that big is too mind-boggling to comprehend, so let’s collapse the planet’s entire history into a single calendar year. Right now, as you’re reading this page, it is 31st December, just before the stroke of midnight. Humans have only existed for the 30 minutes or fewer.

Cosmos!

When Orson Welles said "We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone", he was mistaken. Even when we are alone, we are never alone. We exist in symbiosis - a wonderful term that refers to different organisms living together. Some animals are colonised by microbes while they are still unfertilized eggs; others pick up their first partners at the moment of birth. We then proceed through our lives in their presence. When we eat, so do they. When we travel, they come along. When we die, they consume us. Every one of us is a zoo in our own right -- a colony enclosed within a single body. A mutli-species collective. An entire world.

Great, just what we need, another reminder of that.

The brutal contract of natural selection ensures that if one partner is unnecessary, it gets dumped.

Thank God?
Walker

Post by Walker »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:47 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:28 am Say there, iambiguous. Uh, what's all this about that you're doing?
God knows? 8)
Whatever that means. You can borrow my tested tagline.
(I've heard I'm incomprehensible, so speak up if you don't understand.)

In the meantime, a consideration of the keyword that you mentioned sidesteps any pressing need to say “huh?”

This leads to a philosophical question for you:

- When you’ve lost everything you’ve ever known and on your “death” bed you can’t lie to yourself in the same way that you can’t lie to God, then you find heaven or hell right now, and right now, and right now, and right now is all you’re ever gonna know, which makes each moment heaven for eternity, or hell for eternity, but certainly not both in some alternating emotional pattern of pleasure and pain.

- And, if you’re not on your “death bed,” but you still can’t lie yourself anymore in the same way that you can’t lie to God, then you’re still gonna find heaven or hell right now.

- Agree, or disagree?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Jeff Beck

After I saw Jimi Hendrix play, I just went home and wondered what the fuck I was going to do with my life.

Now we know.

My first wife said, 'It's either that guitar or me,' you know -- and I give you three guesses which one went.

Anyone here doubt that?

Nowadays music is as disposable as a McDonald's wrapper.

Not here of course: https://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=177676

I play purely from the heart, y'know, and so if it doesn't work the first couple of hours, forget it.

Or, occasionally, the first couple of days.

... by far the most astonishing guitar player ever has got to be Django Reinhardt ... Django was quite superhuman, There's nothing normal about him as a person or a player.

Never heard of him, right?

I play the way I do cause it allows me to come up with the sickest sounds possible. That's the point now isn't it?

You tell me.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Walker wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:36 pm
iambiguous wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:47 pm
God knows? 8)

In the meantime, a consideration of the keyword that you mentioned sidesteps any pressing need to say “huh?”

This leads to a philosophical question for you:

- When you’ve lost everything you’ve ever known and on your “death” bed you can’t lie to yourself in the same way that you can’t lie to God, then you find heaven or hell right now, and right now, and right now, and right now is all you’re ever gonna know, which makes each moment heaven for eternity, or hell for eternity, but certainly not both in some alternating emotional pattern of pleasure and pain.

- And, if you’re not on your “death bed,” but you still can’t lie yourself anymore in the same way that you can’t lie to God, then you’re still gonna find heaven or hell right now.

- Agree, or disagree?
:lol:

No, seriously.
Walker

Post by Walker »

iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Walker wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:55 pm Whatever that means. You can borrow my tested tagline.
Is this you, Meno?!!! 8)
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Bart D. Ehrman

Making these “predictions” of the future was relatively easy when the real author was living after the events he “predicted.”

I'll bet it was.

This is the only verse in the entire Old Testament that uses the term “everlasting life.”

Anyone here know which verse that is? You'd think there would hundreds of verses given that acquiring everlasting life for some is the whole point of religion.

When the soldiers seize him, all his disciples flee. But there is someone else there, “a young man” who is “clothed with a linen cloth over his naked body.” The soldiers grab this unnamed man, but he escapes, nude, leaving them with the linen cloth in their hands (Mark 14:51–52). Who is this person?

Anyone here know? A guess perhaps?

One of Jesus’s characteristic teachings is that there will be a massive reversal of fortunes when the end comes. Those who are rich and powerful now will be humbled then; those who are lowly and oppressed now will then be exalted.

This is basically Karl Marx's point too. Only with a different agenda.

Plato, too, had emphasized a kind of dualism of shadow and reality, matter and spirit.

Yep, and that's still going around today.

Christian followers of Jesus who knew about Apollonius maintained that he was a charlatan and a fraud; in response, the pagan followers of Apollonius asserted that Jesus was the charlatan and fraud. Both groups could point to the authoritative written accounts of their leader’s life to score their debating points.

Yo, Maia! Yo, her!
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

God

I genuinely don't remember making you all this stupid.

Yo, Mr. Pinhead! I'll never stop reminding Him.

I apologize to some of you for most of you.

It's about fucking time!

Apocalyptically hot enough for you?

Around here, it's not the heat, it's those goddamn severe thunderstorms.

I wouldn't belong to any mythology that would have Me as a member.

Paraphrasing Woody, of course.

Never bother asking the question "Can people really be that stupid?"
You already know the answer.

Reminded every day here, right?

I'm not saying you're doomed, but you might not want to take out a 30-year mortgage.

Vague enough for you?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Brian Eno

Put out as much as you can. It doesn't do anything sitting on a shelf.

Of course you can take this too far. Here, for example.

The difficulty of always feeling that you ought to be doing something is that you tend to undervalue the times when you’re apparently doing nothing, and those are very important times.

He wondered if he was doing nothing now.

I have a definite talent for convincing people to try something new. I am a good salesman. When I'm on form, I can sell anything.

What, including country music?
Aside, of course, from the good stuff.

Frequently, I go straight into the studio and see what's around. I might hire a couple of instruments that I've never used - maybe a particular type of electronic organ or an echo unit. Then I just dabble with sounds until something starts to happen that suggests a texture. The texture suggests some kind of mood, and the mood suggests some kind of lyric.

The texture. Someone explain that to me.

We're going through this super-uptight era, which I think comes entirely from literacy, actually. It's the result of machines that were designed as word processors being used for making music.

Someone explain that to me too.

What happens with notation is that it reduces things to a language which isn't necessarily appropriate to them. In the same way that words do, you get a much cruder version of what was actually intended.

Hmm. Is this even explainable at all?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Alarming Study Finds Only 20% Of Unwanted Babies Adopted By Wild Animals

Mostly wolves of course.

Ice Machine Reaches Deep Within Itself To Give Man One More Cube

What, no YouTube video?

Area Man Always Thought He’d Squander His Life Differently

Not many areas that isn't applicable to.

Report: States Quietly Raising Speed Limits Near Failing Schools

Pragmatism!

HHS Declares You Can't Let Monkeypox Hold You Back If You Have Chance To Get Laid

Can anyone here confirm this?

Earth Spinning Faster Than Usual, Has Shortest Day Ever

A couple of nanoseconds at least.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Harlan Ellison

You must never be afraid to go there.

Where, he wondered.

Don't start an argument with somebody who has a microphone when you don't.

Or get your own microphone.
Take his, for example.

Writing is the hardest work in the world. I have been a bricklayer and a truck driver, and I tell you that writing is harder.

Especially good writing.

I will use big words from time to time, the meanings of which I may only vaguely perceive, in hopes such cupidity will send you scampering to your dictionary: I will call such behavior 'public service'.

Cupidity: "greed for money or possessions"

Now begin in the middle, and later learn the beginning; the end will take care of itself.

How's that working out for you?

I have no mouth. And I must scream.

For some, the human condition in a nutshell. Or at least theirs.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Depressed Cat Just Going Through Motions Of Destroying Couch

Next up: How to tell.

Alex Jones Concedes Sandy Hook Happened On Mars

Martians file dafamation lawsuit.

God Wonders What Happens To Humans After They Die

That can't be good.

Estonia Announces Interest In Assuming America’s Role As Global Superpower

Any objections?

Refreshingly Frank Therapist Suggests Shooting President

Refreshingly frank Secret Service responds.

Area Man Will Be Judge Of Whether Woman Actually True Baseball Fan

He wondered if that was even possible.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Julian Schnabel

Making a painting is like playing the saxophone. You hit the note and it comes out.

Of course.

I think, basically, I'm an abstract artist. I just think that that's not even an issue. I think everything's abstract.

Of course.

What's interesting about making art is that you take everything you know about it and you bring it up to that point, and you start making a physical thing that addresses what that is. And when you do it, you don't know anything about it - if it's going to work or not work.

Of course.
Like posting here.

I don't think the meaning in my paintings comes from just using broken dishes.

Start here: https://www.vitoschnabel.com/news/putti ... e%20shards.

I don't think my paintings are self-conscious but you feel the consciousness of them. Without them being self-conscious.

Uh, you tell me?

If I hung one of my paintings next to someone else's, I knew mine would kind of pop off the wall.

Let's decide if it should.