Quote of the day

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Quote of the day

Post by Walker »

Do you have any thoughts on this other than asking others what you should think?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Walker wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:42 pm Do you have any thoughts on this other than asking others what you should think?
Nope. I wasn't asking others what I should think, but what they think your point is in bringing me and my filibuster into something relating to Winston Churchill.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Philosophy Tweets

"I realize today that nothing in the world is more distasteful to a man than to take the path that leads to himself." Hermann Hesse

Right, like that is even possible.

"The fame of heroes owes little to the extent of their conquests and all to the success of the tributes paid to them." Jean Genet

No, really, think about that.

"Repudiating the virtues of your world, criminals hopelessly agree to organize a forbidden universe. They agree to live in it. The air there is nauseating: they can breathe it." Jean Genet

No, really, think about that.

"The mind requires some relaxation, and cannot always support its tendency to think and work." David Hume

Of course: The New ILP!!

"Everyone has a right to change their consciousness, but ultimately the whole process is misleading." Robyn Hitchcock

Indeed, take my own assessment for example.

"Observation is a dying art." Stanley Kubrick

Not unlike, perhaps, thinking?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Edward Abbey

When a man must be afraid to drink freely from his country's river and streams that country is no longer fit to live in.

In America, that must go back decades.

If industrial man continues to multiply his numbers and expand his operations he will succeed in his apparent intention, to seal himself off from the natural and isolate himself within a synthetic prison of his own making.

In America, that must go back many, many decades.

So I lived alone.
The first thing I did was take off my pants. Naturally.

I'm down to just t-shirts myself.

...my god! i'm thinking, what incredible shit we've put up with most of our lives - the domestic routine (same old jobs, insufferable arrogance of elected officials, the crafty cheating and the slimy advertising of the businessman, the tedious wars in which we kill our buddies instead of our real enemies back home in the capital, the foul diseased and hideous cities and towns we live in, the constant petty tyranny of automatic washers and automobiles and tv machines and telephones!

ah christ!, i'm thinking, at the same time that i'm waving goodby to that hollering idiot on shore, what intolerable garbage and what utterly useless crap we bury ourselves in day by day, while patiently enduring at the same time the creeping strangulation of the clean white collar and the rich but modest four-in-hand garrote...

Close enough for you?

Music clouds the intellect but clarifies the heart.

Close enough for you?

In the land of bleating sheep and braying jackasses, one brave and honest man is bound to create a scandal.

So, what do you think...me here? 8)
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Philosophy Tweets

“Never, ever go near power. Don’t become friends with anyone who has real power. It’s dangerous.” Stanley Kubrick

Movie directors for example.

"The greatest nations have all acted like gangsters and the smallest like prostitutes." Stanley Kubrick

You know, so far.

"I'm telling you a lie in a vicious effort that you will repeat my lie over and over until it becomes true." Lady Gaga

On the other hand, what if it doesn't work that way.

"If the highest aim of a captain were to preserve his ship, he would keep it in port forever." Thomas Aquinas

Next up: the highest aim of a philosopher.

“Beware the man of a single book.” Thomas Aquinas

Uh, the Bible?

“People reveal themselves completely only when they are thrown out of the customary conditions of their life.” Leonardo da Vinci

Either that or they fall apart.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Ed Yong

The mere presence of a guitar in someone’s bedroom doesn’t make them Slash.

Let alone Jimi.

So females, by mating with the right partners, can suddenly become immune to wasp attacks, which makes Hamiltonella that rarest of things: a desirable venereal infection.

You tell me.

And in maintaining such constancy, microbes are crucial. They affect the storage of fat. They help to replenish the linings of the gut and skin, replacing damaged and dying cells with new ones. They ensure the sanctity of the blood-brain barrier-a web of tightly packed cells that lets nutrients and small molecules pass from blood to brain, but bars the way to larger substances and living cells. They even influence the relentless remodeling of skeletons, in which fresh bone is deposited and old stuff is reabsorbed.

All a part of God's mysterious ways no doubt.

Every one of us is a zoo in our own right – a colony enclosed within a single body. A multi-species collective. An entire world.

And then all the other stuff of course.

So, here’s the irony: toilets that are cleaned too often are more likely to be covered in fecal bacteria.

No shit?

Rebellious, and contemptuous of dogma, she was the consummate scientific iconoclast. "I don’t consider my ideas controversial,” she once said. “I consider them right."

Anyone know who she was?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Thomas Ligotti

Consciousness makes it seem as if (1) there is something to do; (2) there is somewhere to go; (3) there is something to be; (4) there is someone to know.

I know that mine does.

The point that in the absence of birth nobody exists who can be deprived of happiness is terribly conspicuous.

And not just to ecmandu.

Madness, chaos, bone-deep mayhem, devastation of innumerable souls—while we scream and perish, History licks a finger and turns the page.

Let's explain that.

Of course, the situation is hopeless for those who wish an alteration in affairs that by their very nature are fixed and define the world in which we are all chained.

That's why God invented suicide.

The pessimist’s credo, or one of them, is that nonexistence never hurt anyone and existence hurts everyone. Although our selves may be illusory creations of consciousness, our pain is nonetheless real.

The human condition let's call it.

Look at your body
A painted puppet, a poor toy
Of jointed parts ready to collapse,
A diseased and suffering thing
With a head full of false imaginings.

Just what we need, another optimist.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Werner Twertzog

If imaginary numbers are real, then God exists.

Hold on: It might not be yours.

Sometimes, to annoy your parents, you may impulsively marry Charles Manson.

He means Marilyn Manson of course.

Dear America: I just spent three hours on the phone trying to reach a sentient human with modest authority. That is why your financial system will collapse.

Don't rule this out though.

Jacob wrestled with an angel. So tell me again why you cannot deliver a pineapple pizza in less than 30 minutes?

Pizza and pinapples?!!

You have three choices: A life of quiet desperation. Or desperation out loud.

Well, think of it as three.

I do not believe in "method acting." I starved and brutalized Christian Bale for other reasons, as we all know.

Rescue Dawn? How about The Machinist!
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Bart D. Ehrman

Their view was held by each and every one of the prophets: Jeremiah, Hosea, Joel—take your pick. It is that the people of God have sinned and God is punishing them for it. Suffering comes from God, to penalize his people for not living as they should. This is sometimes called the “prophetic” or the “classical” view of suffering.

God and suffering? Got it.

How awful is it to be dead? It would be better to be the lowest, most impoverished, slave-driven nobody on earth than to be the king of the dead in gloomy Hades. And there is no turning back and no way to improve one’s lot. That is the fate of virtually all who die.

God and Hades? Got it.

Instead, God has cosmic enemies. They are the ones doing it.

So much for being omnipotent? Like blaming the Devil when God could swat him like a fly.

Scholars sometimes use technical terms for no good reason, other than the fact that they are the technical terms scholars use.

Not philosophers of course.

Pagans never had to affirm anything. As odd as this seems, pagans were not required to believe truths about the gods. Paganism was instead about performing the proper, traditional cultic acts.

Remember Maia?

Within three hundred years Jesus went from being a Jewish apocalyptic prophet to being God himself, a member of the Trinity. Early Christianity is nothing if not remarkable.

Is that actually understood by anyone? Here for example?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Existential Comics

Controversial opinion but it doesn't actually benefit Americans in any way whatsoever to start a war with China, so we should probably just not try to do that.

Go ahead, try to even imagine the consequences of that.

Back when this was a real country, if you were late for the train you could just run after it and jump on the back, but today's snowflake generation is like "it's dangerous" "just wait for the next train it's only like 15 minutes".

Snowflake generation?

The ideal male friendship is to live in separate cities and text each other three times a year about how the Chicago Bears are doing.

He means the Dallas Cowboys of course. They are still "America's team", right?

Imagine being one of those guys that looks around at all the problems humanity is currently facing and then goes and writes an article for the NYT or whatever like "The greatest threat to society is..............wokeness!!"

Right, like it isn't. 8)

If you don't study philosophy you will have no chance of truly understanding the world. If you do study philosophy it will be same but you can use words like "a posteriori" while not understanding the world.

He means "a priori" of course.

Movies like Fight Club and Donnie Darko are cool, but from a utilitarian perspective they should never have existed. The pleasure derived from people watching them is far outweighed by the harm caused by dudes being annoying about them.

On the other hand, define "cool".
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Brian Eno

The problem with computers is that there is not enough Africa in them.

Just out of curiosity, how much Africa is in yours?
And how do you know this?

For the world to be interesting, you have to be manipulating it all the time.

Either that or flat out scamming it.

I can see the use and value of religion, just as I can see the use of mud wrestling, yoga, astronomy and sadomasochism. but I reject the idea that you can't be a deep human being without it or any of them.

No mention of philosophy.
Again.

People who are very confident in themselves aren't hurt by criticism. They make use of it.

Here? :lol:

The basis of computer work is predicated on the idea that only the brain makes decisions and only the index finger does the work.

Let's change that.

Culture is everything you don't have to do.

Coming here for example.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Man Wakes From Coma With Ability To Understand Health Insurance Policy

But not why he isn't covered.

New Study Finds Solving Every Single Personal Problem Reduces Anxiety

Unless it's over a hundred.

Homosexuality Only Thing Parents Can Accept About Son

You don't come across that everyday.

Robot Chess Player Breaks Boy’s Finger At Moscow Tournament

Well, that was inevitable.

Panicking Neil deGrasse Tyson Starts To Fade From Reality After Scientifically Disproving Own Existence

Any updates?

This Isn’t Goodbye, It’s See You In A Few Seconds

Of course that was days ago.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Claes Oldenburg

Of course, the '60s was a study in decadence. Everything just got worse and worse, and at the end of the '60s, everything was so horrible that people were killing each other.

Of course some of us remember it differently.

I am for an art of things lost or thrown away. . . I am for an art that one smokes like a cigarette. . . I am for an art that flutters like a flag.

Not much that can't be. Only bigger.

I think the Freudian impulse is in everything, so I just accept it. I don't always believe what Freud is saying but it sounds like fun.

He wondered if the Freudian impulse was in him.

Chicago has a strange metaphysical elegance of death about it.

He means Baltimore of course.

Andy Warhol was on the scene, but he wasn't an artist at first; he was more an illustrator. He was always surrounded by about ten people who worshipped him. He'd go to a party and they would all come along. But he was drawing shoes and that sort of thing.

Bottom line: Only in America.

I always knew America was all about guns. You go to the movies as a kid, everybody's got a gun.

Guns and money. Only the other way around.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Scientists Pinpoint Part Of Brain All Your Hair Grows Out Of

No, it's not where you think.

Absentminded Nation Catches Itself Turning To Its Leaders Again

Of course that could never happen here.
Uh, right?

Man Just Wants One Trip To Laundromat Where He Doesn’t Meet Perfect Woman

That ever happen to anyone here?

Job Became Completely Humiliating So Gradually Area Man Barely Noticed

That ever happen to anyone here?

College Senior Holding Out Hope That Internship Will Lead To Class-Action Lawsuit

So, did it?

Beauty Industry To Consumers: ‘You Like Short Hair Now’

She dared to keep hers long.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

2-Year-Old Unaware He’s Basis For 6 Couples’ Decisions Not To Have Kids

Well, who would expect him to be?

Nation’s Next Of Kin Exhausted From Constantly Identifying Bodies

And well they should be in today's world.

What To Say To Someone Who Has Fallen For A Conspiracy Theory

In other words, when humoring them fails.

New Report Confirms You Are Most Interesting, Most Important Individual On Earth

Unfortunately on Page Six.

Covid Virus Unsure How To Make Biden’s Body Any Weaker

Exclusive interview.

Man Who Lost Everything In Crypto Just Wishes Several Thousand More People Had Warned Him

For example, why didn't you?