General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: Quote of the day

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker

Post by Walker »

That only applies to bald people clean shaven, and to bearded people sporting a tonsure.

Walker

Post by Walker »

There are two kinds of people in the world …

The sneering and the grateful.

Translation: Most every situation involving people offers opportunities for sneering, and for gratitude. Therefore, Carpe diem!

Translation of translation: Depending on the dialect, seize the sneer or seize the gratitude.

Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

Some do both
Walker

Post by Walker »

That would be either sneering gratitude, or grateful sneering.

Either way, sounds like oil and water.

gratitude: the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence. It then asks us to respect this, which it calls faith.

Christopher Hitchens
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:00 pm
Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence. It then asks us to respect this, which it calls faith.

Christopher Hitchens
Brilliant! :D

Religious ideas are like mixing like baking soda with vinegar. All you get is a mountain of gooey mess.

Truth lies within the eye of the beholder, and not from heresay.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Hitchens is hearsay.

Hear ... and then say.
Walker

Post by Walker »

There are two kinds of people in the world ...

There are those who are on your side,

And there is everyone else.

Your presence and actions form the creation of each kind.

8)
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:35 pm Hitchens is hearsay.

Hear ... and then say.
No one hears no one says.

Pain is real. It has no creator.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:42 am

Hear ... and then say.

Sculptor heard Hitchens, and Sculptor said.

:roll:
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:04 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:42 am

Hear ... and then say.

Sculptor heard Hitchens, and Sculptor said.

:roll:
That’s right, what sculptor heard and what Hitchens said…is hearsay …but every conceivable idea belongs to no one and everyone…
Some are seen to be significant and true ..while others are seen to be significantly false, but what really matters lies in the eye of the beholder.

🤪🤓

Also, pain and suffering is REAL … which makes life a really bad idea, proof it’s a mindless dumb event, hopefully one that will never be repeated after the sun goes super nova and you and the rest of us will be as though we never existed.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme to Walker wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:09 pm what really matters lies in the eye of the beholder.
And here's what you behold:
Dontaskme to Walker wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:09 pm life a really bad idea, proof it’s a mindless dumb event, hopefully one that will never be repeated after the sun goes super nova and you and the rest of us will be as though we never existed.
Considering there are many valid ways to view everything -- and your view about life apparently sucks from every angle -- why would you defend and perpetuate such a thing? Is this the best you can do: claim that you "see reality as it is" (for who, you?), and be a big resentful crybaby about it? It's your whacked-out view/creation (amidst vast potential) -- talk about mindless and dumb. Many people enjoy and treasure their lives despite all kinds of challenges, and do not wish to die. While you ungratefully bellyache about life and blame others for making the choice to conceive YOU. Who knows... maybe you actually wanted to be born so that you could create lots of drama and ultimately claim detachment from everything as if that's somehow a sign of your brilliant view of "truth" and "reality"? Take some responsibility for fuck's sake for creating what you think, and/or go get some meds or change the ones you're on.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:15 pm
Dontaskme to Walker wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:09 pm what really matters lies in the eye of the beholder.
And here's what you behold:
Dontaskme to Walker wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:09 pm life a really bad idea, proof it’s a mindless dumb event, hopefully one that will never be repeated after the sun goes super nova and you and the rest of us will be as though we never existed.
Considering there are many valid ways to view everything -- and your view about life apparently sucks from every angle -- why would you defend and perpetuate such a thing? Is this the best you can do: claim that you "see reality as it is" (for who, you?), and be a big resentful crybaby about it? It's your whacked-out view/creation (amidst vast potential) -- talk about mindless and dumb. Many people enjoy and treasure their lives despite all kinds of challenges, and do not wish to die. While you ungratefully bellyache about life and blame others for making the choice to conceive YOU. Who knows... maybe you actually wanted to be born so that you could create lots of drama and ultimately claim detachment from everything as if that's somehow a sign of your brilliant view of "truth" and "reality"? Take some responsibility for fuck's sake for creating what you think, and/or go get some meds or change the ones you're on.
👍
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:15 pm
Considering there are many valid ways to view everything -- and your view about life apparently sucks from every angle -- why would you defend and perpetuate such a thing?
Why would I defend an idea that life sucks?
I guess the answer is I do not defend something that I believe is a bad idea, so I have no idea why you have made the ''defend'' idea mine, when it's clearly yours. You'd have to explain to me, what you mean by ''defend'' a bad idea.

Lacewing wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:15 pmIs this the best you can do: claim that you "see reality as it is" (for who, you?), and be a big resentful crybaby about it?
Yes, it is the best I can do, I always give of my best in everything I do in life. I do not lie. I happen to think sentient pain and suffering is a bad idea. I happen to think breeding children into a life of pain and suffering is evil, especially when the knowledge of pain and suffering is knowingly being passed onto to someone else. I think this is selfish and thoughtless. I think people do not give too much thought into what being alive as a sentient being actually involves. If that makes me a bad person just because I feel concern for the pain and suffering that comes with sentience feeling things, then that too, to me, is just more of the suffering. I'm not ashamed to cry over my world view. It's a natural emotion that flows over me, because in my view pain and suffering is extremely hideous and obnoxious, and very very bad, and that makes me want to cry. For me, the truth of sentient reality, is that it's a bad idea. I could use many more harsher words to describe it, but for now I'll just use the word. ( Bad Idea )

Lacewing wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:15 pm It's your whacked-out view/creation (amidst vast potential) -- talk about mindless and dumb.
My perceptions and views are my business, I happen to think life for sentience is a dumb mindless game, of endless suffering and pain. I'm under no doubt or denial about that. And so for me, in my humble opinion, that sucks. For me, the reality that life is a bad idea is a truth. I'm just telling the truth as I see it. I do not have a problem with telling the truth as I see it, nor am I going to appolgise if others find my truth offensive or oppose it. I'm comfortable with my views because for me they are the truth, which I accept. Sentient Life is a sad sorry affair from start to finish, in my view. And if other people have a problem with my view then that's their business, not mine, I'm not going to change what is true for me.

I do not see any potential for change or better world. If we are always striving for a better world then all that tells me is that we are always making a hash job of being in the world. It's a catch 22 scenario. We make a mess here, a big polluted mess, and we call that winning. Modern Life for humanity is an extremely high maintance affair, it's too expensive and unsustainable. I see that humanity is making a mess, more than they are making potential, and potential for what exactly? .... look around you, open your eyes.

We then lay our eggs in the mess, we force children to live in the cesspool of our own making, and we seem to think that is a good idea. But I'm not ok with that, I do not think it's a good idea to build nests out of shit and expect the offspring to be ok with this.

For me, it's plain to see, we are not winning the game of life, I see the exact opposite in fact, I see humanity sliding rapidly toward their own self- destruction through lack of awareness as to what's really happening on the planet. I see a perfectly clear pattern forming within human activity and behavior, which is getting uglier and uglier with every new generation. I'm not blind or deluded or in denial about what is really going on here. I see, speak and hear truth. I'm not going to lie, or be distracted from the glaring truth. I am not afraid of truth. Never have been.

Lacewing wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:15 pmMany people enjoy and treasure their lives despite all kinds of challenges, and do not wish to die.
That's very true. And I do not condone or disapprove their enjoyment. People enjoy what they enjoy, of course they do. I do not deny that, that is a fact. But for me, I do not think life is worth the price we pay for it.

Lacewing wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:15 pm While you ungratefully bellyache about life and blame others for making the choice to conceive YOU.
I'm not going to lie to you. I hate being alive. I just don't think it is fair to the unborn to have them be raised in dirty nests. If you find that offensive then fine, but I'm not going to pretend that being born against our will and consent is a very good idea.
I do not blame anyone for their ignorance, people do what they do because it makes them feel good, they want children because that makes them feel good, I have no plans in denying other people what feels good for them. They are welcome to what ever makes them feel good. But for me, what feels good for them makes me want to puke, it's that simple. I make no apologies for the way I think and feel about life.

So if you want to bellyache or play the blame game, pointing fingers at me for having these awful thoughts, that you seem to find offensive, then be my guest, it isn't going to change anything here in me. I see what I see, and feel what I feel. I'm under no delusion about that at all. And I do not need other peoples approval to be me. Why should I be grateful for a life that is mainly pain and suffering? why, just so it pleases people like you? So if I said to you that I am grateful for life, would that make you feel good, would it justify and make valid, or give a boost to your own self conceived values on how you personally view life?

Would it be a good idea to be grateful in your opinion? would it be a good idea if I actually lied to you about the way I view life? fuck that. I'm not grateful, and I'm ok with that.

Lacewing wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:15 pm Who knows... maybe you actually wanted to be born so that you could create lots of drama and ultimately claim detachment from everything as if that's somehow a sign of your brilliant view of "truth" and "reality"? Take some responsibility for fuck's sake for creating what you think, and/or go get some meds or change the ones you're on.
Thanks for the advice, but stop telling me what to think and be, it's really not necessary, I am able to think for myself, deal with myself, take care of myself, and one thing I have always managed to do very successfully, is look after number 1 .... I'm healthy and living to a ripe old age because of the dilligent care and attention and responsibilty I have taken in life and given to myself, but thanks all the same. Your distorted views of my character, are your phobia, not mine. I just tell the truth as I see it, just as you tell the truth as you see it. This is not a competition for lets see who is the most brilliant, but if you think it is, then you are doing a good job at being a brilliant idiot. There's one born every minute, in my view. And no you are wrong, I did not want to be born, my parents made that choice for me, but that's not their fault, they were just doing what made them feel good, because every sentient being likes to feel good, it likes to feel like it's life has got meaning in a universe that doesn't give a fuck about them. But this desire for self worth and value is all quite normal.