Quote of the day

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

iambiguous

Re: Quote of the day

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Ticketmaster Opens New Workhouse Where Taylor Swift Fans Can Labor To Earn Their Eras Tickets

Until the workers of the world unite, of course.

Concerned Pediatrician Explains That Child Should’ve Been Radicalized Online By Now

That's still around 10, right?

Conair Unveils New Tiny Blow Dryer For Knuckle Hair

Next in line: pubic hair.

Deep Down, Area Man Knows He’s Not Done Vomiting

And hours later sometimes.

Woman Spirals Into Vortex Of Self-Doubt After Trader Joe’s Cashier Does Not Compliment Any Of Her Selected Items

So, is this a real thing?

More Realistic Meat Substitute Made From Soy Raised In Brutally Cruel Conditions

Vegans react in outrage.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Sylvia Plath from The Bell Jar

I began to see why woman-haters could make such fools of women. Woman-haters were like gods: invulnerable and chock full of power. They descended, and then they disappeared. You could never catch one.

Let's ask the woman-haters here.

I also hate people to ask cheerfully how you are when they know you're feeling like hell and expect you to say "fine”.

She means loathe of course.

The silence depressed me. It wasn't the silence of silence. It was my own silence. I knew perfectly well the cars were making noise, and the people in them and behind the lit windows of the buildings were making a noise, and the river was making a noise, but I couldn't hear a thing. The city hung in my window, flat as a poster, glittering and blinking, but it might just as well not have been there at all, for all the good it did me.

And we are, of course, all that matters.

I thought how strange it had never occurred to me before that I was only purely happy until I was nine years old.

Not many that never occurs to.

I felt dreadfully inadequate. The trouble was, I had been inadequate all along, I simply hadn’t thought about it.

Actually, this can really happen. But you already knew that, didn't you?

It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they executed the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York. I'm stupid about executions. The idea of being electrocuted makes me sick, and that's all there was to read about in the papers -- goggle-eyed headlines staring up at me at every street corner and at the fusty, peanut-smelling mouth of every subway. It had nothing to do with me, but I couldn't help wondering what it would be like, being burned alive all along your nerves.

I thought it must be the worst thing in the world.

Not even close as it turned out.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Study: Depression Up Among Teenage Girls Able To Perceive Any Part Of World Around Them

Way up in fact. Though not unlike all the rest of us.

Saudis Celebrate Shocking World Cup Win By Flipping Over A Woman, Setting Her On Fire

Too bad we still need that oil.

Rihanna Admits She Just Uses Whatever Makeup On Sale At Walgreens

The other Rihanna I'm guessing.

HR Director Reminds Employees That Any Crying Done At Office Must Be Work-Related

To wit: https://youtu.be/BHg__kkXKY4

Priest Never Sure How To Fill Awkward Silence After Last Rites Finished But Before Person Dies

Any priests here with the lowdown?

Elon Musk Criticized For Firing So Many Employees Rather Than Spending Decades Grinding Them Down

Maybe after he buys Facebook.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"The strength of Marxism clearly lies, not in its view of history or its prophecies of the future that are based on it, but in its sagacious indication of the decisive influence which the economic circumstances of men have upon their intellectual, ethical and artistic attitudes." - Freud

Good shit, Sig... except for the 'view of history' part. I think you're maybe being a bit anal retentive here.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Ralph Ellison from Invisible Man

And the mind that has conceived a plan of living must never lose sight of the chaos against which that pattern was conceived. That goes for societies as well as for individuals.

All the way to the grave, say.

Everywhere I've turned somebody has wanted to sacrifice me for my own good—only they were the ones who benefited. And now we start on the old sacrificial merry-go-round. At what point do we stop?

When it's an actual option?

They could laugh at him but they couldn't ignore him.

Sometimes that's enough, sometimes it isn't.

Some things are just too unjust for words, and too ambiguous for either speech or ideas.

Most things, I reminded him.

Man's hope can paint a purple picture, can transform a soaring vulture into a noble eagle or moaning dove.

Next up: the lack thereof.

And sometimes the difference between individual and organized indignation is the difference between criminal and political action.

At least when you can tell them apart.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Fyodor Dostoevsky from The Brothers Karamazov

If he's honest, he'll steal; if he's human, he'll murder; if he's faithful, he'll deceive.

She too as likely as not.

Imagine that you are creating a fabric of human destiny with the object of making men happy in the end, giving them peace and rest at last. Imagine that you are doing this but that it is essential and inevitable to torture to death only one tiny creature...in order to found that edifice on its unavenged tears. Would you consent to be the architect on those conditions? Tell me. Tell the truth.

Let's choose the one tiny creature here. And tell the truth.

Everything passes, only truth remains.

Now that's a lie.

Since man cannot live without miracles, he will provide himself with miracles of his own making. He will believe in witchcraft and sorcery, even though he may otherwise be a heretic, an atheist, and a rebel.

Not this man.

The world stands on absurdities, and without them perhaps nothing at all would happen.

They certainly abound here. And especially there.

For all is like an ocean, all flows and connects; touch it in one place and it echoes at the other end of the world.

So, what do we need this to mean?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

British World Cup Attendees Accused Of Smuggling Alcohol Into Stadium Through Bloodstreams

Yo, Brits! Is this a slur?

Chivalrous Predator Opens Trunk For Date

So, is that a good thing?

HR Improves Company Morale By Giving Employees Constant Stream Of Dumbass Bullshit To Mock

Twitter, for example.

Thanksgiving Guests Freeze In Disbelief After Teenager Informs Them Of Native American Genocide

As well they should.

Frustrated Man Still On Waitlist To Register As Sex Offender

As well he should be.

‘Let’s All Say What We’re Grateful For,’ Says Mother Who Apparently Believes She’s In A Norman Fucking Rockwell Painting

Indeed, what if we are in a Norman Fucking Rockwell Painting here?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Franz Kafka from The Trial

Logic is of course unshakeable, but it cannot hold out against a man who wants to live.

Or wants to die.

Don't be too hasty, don't take somebody else's opinion without testing it.

Wow, what if we started doing that here.

It's often better to be in chains than to be free.

Thank God?

When one has lived for thirty years in this world and had to fight one's way through it, as I have had to do, one becomes hardened to surprises and doesn't take them too seriously.

Trust me: there will always be exceptions.

As someone said to me--I can't remember now who it was--it is really remarkable that when you wake up in the morning you nearly always find everything in exactly the same place as the evening before. For when asleep and dreaming you are, apparently at least, in an essentially different state from that of wakefulness; and therefore, as that man truly said, it requires enormous presence of mind or rather quickness of wit, when opening your eyes to seize hold as it were of everything in the room at exactly the same place where you had let it go on the previous evening. That was why, he said, the moment of waking up was the riskiest moment of the day. Once that was well over without deflecting you from your orbit, you could take heart of grace for the rest of the day.

Trust me: there will always be exceptions.

Am I to leave this world as a man who shies away from all conclusions?

On the other hand, conclusions about what?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:17 pm..thinks he is clever

...atto says other_wise.

The Onion

British World Cup Attendees Accused Of Smuggling Alcohol Into Stadium Through Bloodstreams

..a Brit will do anything when surrounded by BORING kunts like iambiguous

..it depends if you like elephants.

HR Improves Company Morale By Giving Employees Constant Stream Of Dumbass Bullshit To Mock

Twitter, for example.

..iambiguous, for example.

Thanksgiving Guests Freeze In Disbelief After Teenager Informs Them Of Native American Genocide

As well they should.

..Eskimos warm to the idea.

As well he should be.

..he's in a queue behind iambiguous and his ILP mates.

‘Let’s All Say What We’re Grateful For,’ Says Mother Who Apparently Believes She’s In A Norman Fucking Rockwell Painting

...I'D BURN YOURS.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:55 pm
iambiguous wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:17 pm..thinks he is clever

...atto says other_wise.

The Onion

..a Brit will do anything when surrounded by BORING kunts like iambiguous

..it depends if you like elephants.

Twitter, for example.

..iambiguous, for example.

As well they should.

..Eskimos warm to the idea.

As well he should be.

..he's in a queue behind iambiguous and his ILP mates.

...I'D BURN YOURS.

Well, this is the Lounge after all. :lol:

Still, I'd be lying if I didn't admit to just how much satisfaction I get reducing the Kids who loathe me down to this.

Let's call it their own excruciating rendition of being "clever". 8)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:02 pm Still, I'd be lying if I didn't admit to just how much satisfaction I get reducing the Kids who loathe me down to this.
Mate. I'm just killing time until my football game. To be honest, you are a piece of cake to take the piss out of, lots of fun considering how boring you are.

iambiguous wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:02 pmLet's call it their own excruciating rendition of being "clever". 8)
...how boring you are.

ffs. honestly, surely one day you can give someone a giggle without falling over.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

biggs persists as he does becuz he's a real garage philosopher with a lot of computer time, while you're a real garage computer guy with a lot of philosophy time.

the end game with biggs can only be one outcome. the contender either must admit of nihilism (radical skepticism more of the existential kind than the epistemological kind), or, keep one's position on faith alone if that position is metaphysical in any sense. and, perhaps most importantly, don't ever try to come to a philosophy forum and tell me or anyone else that they are 'irrational' or 'unreasonable' in their own point of view.

I've always been fond of one of the ironies surrounding iambiguous. when most perceive him as the nagging naysayer who wishes to prove them wrong, he is in fact their greatest defender in this way; he does not say that u are 'wrong' as the others do... he actually defends and upholds a general philosophy arguing that 'everyone has their reasons', e.g., dasein, existential contingency and unique experiential circumstances of the individual, and that whatever one believes, it is to the best of the believer's ability that he is rational and reasonable.

what we must really decide is whether he is a Socrates or a Protagoras. Dissimulation in the genuine pursuit of knowledge or just for the joy of the rhetorical craft itself. that is, has Biggs settled on absolute epistemological and ethical relativism, pursuing debate only for the joy of the experience itself.... or does Biggs pursue philosophy and debate to improve upon man, or in our case, the fellow garage philosopher.

i believe there is a degree of both, so we shall call him Protocrates henceforth. he's not a complete sophist and he does have values (expresses an interest in anti-capitalistic ideas for instance). the problem for Biggs is personal and psychological; he is afraid to insist on anything becuz he doesn't want to be perceived as the Objectivist type he so vehemently despises.

imagine the internal struggle this must produce.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

..yeah, I thought he was fucked up. 8)

..No, but honestly...I have addressed his continuance of his 4 big questions - totally ignored by him. (reason could only be - I am not a typical theist - and he can't logically address my retorts - they fuck with his preconceived ideas of theism and reality)
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Philosophy Tweets

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest." Hermann Hesse

Wow, like I do here! 8)

“Youth ends when egotism does; maturity begins when one lives for others.” Hermann Hesse

In the East perhaps.

“Daring ideas are like chessmen moved forward. They may be beaten, but they may start a winning game.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

My guess: or a losing game.
Catastrophically even.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

And, sure, he might even have believed it.

"Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music." Jimi Hendrix

Pick one:
Changed for the better.
Changed for the worse.

"To change something in the minds of people - that's the role of an intellectual." Michel Foucault

Pick one:
Changed for the better.
Changed for the worse.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

promethean75 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:48 pm biggs persists as he does becuz he's a real garage philosopher with a lot of computer time, while you're a real garage computer guy with a lot of philosophy time.

the end game with biggs can only be one outcome. the contender either must admit of nihilism (radical skepticism more of the existential kind than the epistemological kind), or, keep one's position on faith alone if that position is metaphysical in any sense. and, perhaps most importantly, don't ever try to come to a philosophy forum and tell me or anyone else that they are 'irrational' or 'unreasonable' in their own point of view.

I've always been fond of one of the ironies surrounding iambiguous. when most perceive him as the nagging naysayer who wishes to prove them wrong, he is in fact their greatest defender in this way; he does not say that u are 'wrong' as the others do... he actually defends and upholds a general philosophy arguing that 'everyone has their reasons', e.g., dasein, existential contingency and unique experiential circumstances of the individual, and that whatever one believes, it is to the best of the believer's ability that he is rational and reasonable.

what we must really decide is whether he is a Socrates or a Protagoras. Dissimulation in the genuine pursuit of knowledge or just for the joy of the rhetorical craft itself. that is, has Biggs settled on absolute epistemological and ethical relativism, pursuing debate only for the joy of the experience itself.... or does Biggs pursue philosophy and debate to improve upon man, or in our case, the fellow garage philosopher.

i believe there is a degree of both, so we shall call him Protocrates henceforth. he's not a complete sophist and he does have values (expresses an interest in anti-capitalistic ideas for instance). the problem for Biggs is personal and psychological; he is afraid to insist on anything becuz he doesn't want to be perceived as the Objectivist type he so vehemently despises.

imagine the internal struggle this must produce.
What I'd recommend is that folks at PN follow the exchange between gib and I here: https://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=475

It may well become the very last exchange there that actually has substantive content.