Quote of the day

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

iambiguous

Re: Quote of the day

Post by iambiguous »

Germaine Greer

****-lapping, mother-fucking, and cock-sucking are words to provoke a sense of outrage. Being forced to play the role of a woman in sexual intercourse is the deepest imaginable humiliation, which is only worsened if the victim finds to his horror that he enjoys it.

Different folks, different strokes? Or are there lines to be drawn?

If women understand by emancipation the adoption of the masculine role then we are lost indeed. If women can supply no counterbalance to the blindness of male drive the aggressive society will run to its lunatic extremes at ever-escalating speed. Who will safeguard the despised animal faculties of compassion, empathy, innocence and sensuality?

Har Har Harr?

It is agreed that 'girls take more bringing up' than boys: what that really means is that girls must be more relentlessly supervised and repressed if the desired result is to ensue.

Let's name names.

Female is real, and it’s sex, and femininity is unreal, and it’s gender.

I know: let's get real here.

Guilt is one side of a nasty triangle; the other two are shame and stigma. This grim coalition combines to inculpate women themselves of the crimes committed against them.

Next up: the nasty pentagon.

It is agreed that little girls should have a different physical education than little boys, but it is not admitted how much of the difference is counseled by the conviction that little girls should not look like little boys.

And not just south of the border.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

God (Not a Parody, Actually God)

I can now finally get a blue check and establish Myself as the one true God of Twitter and the universe if I give Elon Musk $96 a year.
Not worth it.

Wow, would you dare to challenge Musk on Twitter?!
Not being God yourself, say.

Being wrong louder doesn't make you righter.

Tell that to, among others, the sexual predator pinheads here!!

The only fake account that does real damage is the Bible.

Hey, He said it.

If anything happens to My Twitter account, I want you always to remember how little I cared about any of you.

On the other hand, Elon, He is omnipotent.

[PARODY] I am Elon Musk and I [PARODY] am a stupid motherfucking cocksucking [PARODY] dangerous sociopathic spoiled little man-boy for whom [PARODY] $40+ billion dollars is still not enough to [PARODY] grant a layer of either [PARODY] thick skin or self-awareness. [PARODY]

God grows a pair!

The Christian right hates Halloween.
Not because it's pagan, but because it involves handing out free food.

Well, if you count candy.
Though, yeah, okay, most dentists do.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Sylvia Plath from The Bell Jar

I started adding up all the things I couldn't do.

Not to worry. I won't get you started.

I felt like a racehorse in a world without racetracks or a champion college footballer suddenly confronted by Wall Street and a business suit, his days of glory shrunk to a little gold cup on his mantel with a date engraved on it like the date on a tombstone.

Not to worry. I won't name names.

It was comforting to know I had fallen and could fall no farther.

Just before she fell down all the way.

Why honey, don't you want to get dressed?
My mother took care never to tell me to do anything. She would only reason with me sweetly, like one intelligent, mature person with another.
It's almost three in the afternoon.
I'm writing a novel, I said. I haven't got time to change into this and change into that.

Enigmatic enough for you?

When they asked me what I wanted to be I said I didn't know.

Enigmatic enough for you?

I felt overstuffed and dull and disappointed, the way I always do the day after Christmas, as if whatever it was the pine boughs and the candles and the silver and gilt-ribboned presents and the birch-log fires and the Christmas turkey and the carols at the piano promised never came to pass.

With another one right around the corner. If not for her.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Republican Voters Given Toll-Free Number To Call If They Witness Legitimate Vote

Didn't work though, did it?

Buying Everything Hairstylist Recommends Would Cost $8,000

Anyone here ever done that?

L.A. Replaces Grass With 6-Inch Metal Spikes To Prevent Homeless From Sleeping In Parks

That ought to do it.

Tucker Carlson Screaming In Agony That He Feels Crime Crawling All Over Him

Let's all smirk at that together.

Are American Ants Too Small? 25 Countries With Bigger Ants And What They Might Be Doing Right

Next up: American pinheads.

Man Inspects Perimeter To Find Most Vulnerable Entry Point To Hamburger

Where's that for you?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Ralph Ellison from Invisible Man

Perhaps to lose a sense of where you are implies the danger of losing a sense of who you are.

Nope, I'm right here. No doubt about it. Still fractured and fragmented though.

I was looking for myself and asking everyone except myself questions which I, and only I, could answer. It took me a long time and much painful boomeranging of my expectations to achieve a realization everyone else appears to have been born with: That I am nobody but myself.

Now that sure takes me back.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?

Underground, for example.

I was pulled this way and that for longer than I can remember. And my problem was that I always tried to go in everyone's way but my own. I have also been called one thing and then another while no one really wished to hear what I called myself. So after years of trying to adopt the opinions of others I finally rebelled. I am an invisible man.

And then the parts about race.
For example...

I do not know if all cops are poets, but I know that all cops carry guns with triggers.

The Mark Fuhrmans for instance.

Play the game, but don’t believe in it – that much you owe yourself … Play the game, but raise the ante, my boy. Learn how it operates, learn how you operate.

So, how am I doing here? 8)
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Philosophy Tweets

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Søren Kierkegaard

Anyone ever use it here?

"I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." Vincent Van Gogh

Sounds like something he'd say. Paraphrasing Nietzsche perhaps?

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe

Once upon a time let's say.

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou

Tell that to the bird in the cage?

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." Edgar Allan Poe

Name one.

"Cruelty is all out of ignorance. If you knew what was in store for you, you wouldn't hurt anybody, because whatever you do comes back much more forceful than you send it out." Willie Nelson

Well, their cruelty anyway.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Fyodor Dostoevsky from The Brothers Karamazov

Nothing has ever been more insupportable for a man and a human society than freedom.

Ah, the Grand Inquisitor. Of course he's only paraphrasing Erich Fromm among others.

Above all, avoid lies, all lies, especially the lie to yourself. Keep watch on your own lie and examine it every hour, every minute.

Especially here of course. :lol:

But to fall in love does not mean to love. One can fall in love and still hate.

The human condition let's call it.

Life is paradise, and we are all in paradise, but we refuse to see it.

The fools! :lol:

But I always liked side-paths, little dark back-alleys behind the main road---there one finds adventures and surprises, and precious metal in the dirt.

Nope, no precious metals so far.

Love life more than the meaning of it.

Distractions I call them.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Biden Warns Americans That Ability To Even Pretend U.S. A Democracy At Stake

No, really.

AI Software Company Patches Bug That Caused App To Treat Black People Equally

No, really.

Apologetic Man Regrets Driving Wedge Into Country By Voting

Apologetic millions in fact.

Man Wishes There Were Some Kind Of Pre-Midterm Race Where Voters Could Select Better Candidates

Maybe next time.

North Carolina Voter In Heavily Gerrymandered District Somehow Voting For Montana Senate, Mayor Of Phoenix

Noted.

Stressed-Out Woman Treats Herself To Additional $400 Of Credit Card Debt

Wouldn't you?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Franz Kafka from The Trial

Next time I come here, he said to himself, I must either bring sweets with me to make them like me or a stick to hit them with.

Only a fool wouldn't bring both these days.

You do not need to accept everything as true, you only have to accept it as necessary.

And who doesn't have their own take on that?

Don't concern yourself about anybody. Just do what you think is right.

Of course, they're thinking the same thing about you.

It's only because of their stupidity that they're able to be so sure of themselves.

Praise the Lord?

It puzzled K., at least it puzzled him looking at it from the policemen's point of view, that they had made him go into the room and left him alone there, where he had ten different ways of killing himself. At the same time, though, he asked himself, this time looking at it from his own point of view, what reason he could have to do so. Because those two were sitting there in the next room and had taken his breakfast, perhaps?

Wouldn't puzzle you though, would it?

Someone must have been telling lies about Joseph K., for without having done anything wrong he was arrested one fine morning.

Or, sure, for others, the truth.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Nursing Home CEO Afraid He’ll End Up In One Of Those Places He Owns

As well he should be.

Obama Claims He’s Still President After Seeing How Susceptible Voters Are To Conspiracy Theories

Bilderberg put him up to it.

Experts Encourage Americans To Start Thinking About What Form Of Government They’d Like To Try After Democracy Crumbles

Plutocracy of course. Only flat out called that.

Polling Place In Predominantly Black Neighborhood Clearly Brick Wall With Door Painted On

So, did it work, he asked.

Voters Excited To Use Midterms To Put Country Back On Different Wrong Track

Hell, it's not a two party political economy for nothing.

Elon Musk Demands Twitter Servers Explain What All These Wires For

And not just the ones coming out of his ass.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Siddhartha Mukherjee

History repeats, but science reverberates.

Not here of course.

It remains an astonishing, disturbing fact that in America - a nation where nearly every new drug is subjected to rigorous scrutiny as a potential carcinogen, and even the bare hint of a substance's link to cancer ignites a firestorm of public hysteria and media anxiety - one of the most potent and common carcinogens known to humans can be freely bought and sold at every corner store for a few dollars.

A 867.6 billion dollar a year industry let's call it.

Freaks become norms, and norms become extinct. Monster by monster, evolution advanced.

And here we are.

Normalcy is the antithesis of evolution.

And here we are.

Down to their innate molecular core, cancer cells are hyperactive, survival-endowed, scrappy, fecund, inventive copies of ourselves.

Thank God?

Memories sharpen the past; it is reality that decays.

Let's file this one under, "it's so deep it's meaningless".
Or, sure, "whatever that means."
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Philosophy Tweets

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." Viktor E. Frankl

Tell that to the Nazis?

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." Albert Camus

Uh, if that's an option?

"Religious wars are not caused by the fact that there is more than one religion, but by the spirit of intolerance... the spread of which can only be regarded as the total eclipse of human reason." Montesquieu

Her's for example.

"The less men think, the more they talk." Montesquieu

Or here, post.
Not counting me of course.

"Knowledge is and will be produced in order to be sold, it is and will be consumed in order to be valorised in a new production: in both cases, the goal is exchange." Jean-Francois Lyotard

How about if each of us makes of that what we will.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just..."
Thomas Jefferson

Just ask his slaves.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

The facts only contribute to the problem, not the solution.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Eric Hoffer

What monstrosities would walk the streets were some people's faces as unfinished as their minds.

Pinheads we'd call them!

A movement is pioneered by men of words, materialized by fanatics and consolidated by men of action.

My guess: for better or worse.
Women of action too.

The beginning of thought is in disagreement -- not only with others but also with ourselves.

Yo, Mr. Objectivist!

There would be no society if living together depended upon understanding each other.

We must be the exception, right?

You can never get enough of what you don’t really need.

Anyone here not really need me?

Scratch an intellectual, and you find a would-be aristocrat who loathes the sight, the sound and the smell of common folk.

Let's list all the reasons.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

God Criticized For Taking Credit For Universe From Black Creator

Does that actually surprise anyone?

Couple At Point Where They're Comfortable Using Toilet At Same Time

Gay or straight let's presume.

Therapist Feels Bad For Dating Patient's Daughter

Then even worse for knocking her up.

Customer Who Declined Initial Offer Of Assistance From Floor Salesman Comes Crawling Back

That ever happen to you? Me neither.

Man’s Idea For Tweet Just Pops Into His Mind Almost Fully Formed

Imagine then a fully formed post here!

Man Worried Antidepressants Will Leave Trace Of Original Personality

My own vanished completely.