Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Husband Buys Wife Tickets To See Singer She Wants To Fuck

Next up: would she do the same for him?

Vegan Unaware Pineapple He’s Eating Once Used To Beat Cow To Death

Any vegans here? What would you do?

Area Child Disappointed To Learn Parents’ Love Unconditional

Indeed, she may as well be their dog.

Report: Majority Of Americans Would Support A New War If There Were Elephants Involved

Uh, Republicans?

Pube-Riddled Razor Laid To Rest Following Long Battle With Bikini Line

"I'll take it!", he shouted.

Woman Tragically Succumbs To Natural Hair Color

Just not "down there".
Belinda

Re: Quote of the day

Post by Belinda »

Iambiguous commented:
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Them and a ton of money.
A ton of money is roots not wings. A little money is roots and wings.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Jim Holt

As Grünbaum is fond of saying, even though the universe is finite in age, it has always existed, if by “always” you mean at all instants of time.

Of course Grünbaum was fond of saying many things. If not as ridiculous as this.

It is the best of times in physics. Physicists are on the verge of obtaining the long-sought theory of everything. In a few elegant equations, perhaps concise enough to be emblazoned on a T-shirt, this theory will reveal how the universe began and how it will end.

Of course: String theory.
No, really.

For, as the German diplomat and philosopher Max Scheler wrote, “He who has not, as it were, looked into the abyss of the absolute Nothing will completely overlook the eminently positive content of the realization that there is something rather than nothing.” Let us, then, dip briefly into that abyss, with full assurance that we will not come up empty-handed. For, as the old saying goes: Nothing seek, nothing find.

The abyss again. Tick, tick, tick, tick...

Dehaene marveled at the fact that mathematics is simultaneously a product of the human mind and a powerful instrument for discovering the laws by which the human mind operates.

Mathematics all the way down?
On the other hand, to where?

In his version of the theory, information becomes conscious when certain “workspace” neurons broadcast it to many areas of the brain at once, making it simultaneously available for, say, language, memory, perceptual categorization, action planning, and so on. In other words, consciousness is “cerebral celebrity,” as the philosopher Daniel Dennett has described it, or “fame in the brain.”

Well, after running it by the soul, of course.

As the physicist Nima Arkani-Hamed has put it, “The earth is not the center of the solar system, the sun is not the center of our galaxy, our galaxy is just one of billions in a universe that has no center, and now our entire three-dimensional universe would be just a thin membrane in the full space of dimensions. If we consider slices across the extra dimensions, our universe would occupy a single infinitesimal point in each slice, surrounded by a void.

Go ahead, fit "I" into that and get back to us.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Woman Knows To Stay Away From Certain Parts Of Own Psyche At Night

You know the parts.

Man Googling ‘Tender Lump On Neck’ About To Begin Exciting New Phase In Life

Uh, define "exciting"?

Scientists Find Dolphins Only Other Mammals That Jet-Ski For Pleasure

That and to escape Orcas.

Greg Abbott Fills Last Few Open Seats On Migrant Bus With Jews

Of course: the part they left out.

Cops Confident School Shooter Will Tucker Himself Out

I know, I know: What if he doesn't?!

Area Mom Off Thinking About Princess Diana Again

Though now, of course, the Queen.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Bart D. Ehrman

The Apology of Socrates was Plato’s account of the legal defense that Socrates made at his trial in Athens. The speech itself is one of the great classics of ancient literature. They executed him anyway.

Of course: the real world.

But the historian is no more able to pronounce on ultimate “truth” than anyone else. That is to say, historians cannot decide who is right in the question of whether there is one God or two; they can simply show what different people have thought at different times.

See, I told you!!

Later orthodox Christians, after they had secured their victory, tried to obscure the real history of the conflict.

Politics, let's call it.

And the side that knew how to utilize power was the side that won.

Wow, who would have ever thought that!

If you accept the Bible, you should accept it for what it is: a document of faith that is not a history book.

Yo, IC! You're up!!

Many Christians today may think that the canon of the New Testament simply appeared on the scene one day, soon after the death of Jesus, but nothing could be farther from the truth.

What say the flocks of sheep here?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Deceased Queen Elizabeth Continues To Wave At Subjects As Maggots Writhe Inside Corpse

You know, if that's even possible.

Teacher Who Dedicates Life To Students Total Fucking Bitch

You know, if that's even possible.

Inaccuracy Of Every Single Detail Forces Student Paper To Pull Story At Last Minute

Of course that never stopped Fox News.

New Prevention Campaign Urges Public To Look Out For Early Signs Of Being Cut In Half By Samurai

Stay away from them is still number one.

Teen Boy Entering That Awkward Phase Where He Is A Fucking Pervert

Pick one:
1] genes
2] memes

NASA Delays Artemis Launch After Rocket Gets Scared

AI rocket of course.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Sylvia Plath from The Bell Jar

If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed.

About what I expect from you, you from me.

I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.

Any figs here?

The silence depressed me. It wasn't the silence of silence. It was my own silence.

The rest, as we know, is history.

If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell.

She got that from me.

To the person in the bell jar, blank and stopped as a dead baby, the world itself is a bad dream.

And, as often as not, a nightmare.

There is something demoralizing about watching two people get more and more crazy about each other, especially when you are the only extra person in the room. It's like watching Paris from an express caboose heading in the opposite direction--every second the city gets smaller and smaller, only you feel it's really you getting smaller and smaller and lonelier and lonelier, rushing away from all those lights and excitement at about a million miles an hour.

Who hasn't experienced that.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

tiny nietzsche

thirty days has september, fuck the rest I can't remember

About time they updated that.

keep your eyes open for a good spot to pull over and die

For some the parking lot of a Walmart.

god save the abyss

Now that the queen has tumbled down into it herself.

the week hasn't even started and I'm already afraid

And not even of anything in particular.

objects in the mirror are in the past, fucker

Well, yeah, that too.

top secret documents about that ass

Not many around him that can't be.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Jean-Paul Sartre, from Nausea

I exist. It is soft, so soft, so slow. And light: it seems as though it suspends in the air. It moves.

Trust me: not always.

I jump up: it would be much better if I could only stop thinking.

Trust me: not about everything.

I dreamed vaguely of killing myself to wipe out at least one of these superfluous lives. But even my death would have been In the way. In the way, my corpse, my blood on these stones, between these plants, at the back of this smiling garden. And the decomposed flesh would have been In the way in the earth which would receive my bones, at last, cleaned, stripped, peeled, proper and clean as teeth, it would have been In the way: I was In the way for eternity.

An existentialist thing let's call it.

I looked anxiously around me: the present, nothing but the present. Furniture light and solid, rooted in its present, a table, a bed, a closet with a mirror-and me. the true nature of the present revealed itself: it was what exists, and all that was not present did not exist. The past did not exist. Not at all. Not in things, not even in my thoughts. It is true that I had realized a long time ago that mine had escaped me. But until then I had believed that it had simply gone out of my range. For me the past was only a pensioning off: it was another way of existing, a state of vacation and inaction; each event, when it had played its part, put itself politely into a box and became an honorary event: we have so much difficulty imagining nothingness. Now I knew: things are entirely what they appear to be-and behind them... there is nothing.

An existentialist thing on steroids let's call it.

He is always becoming, and if it were not for the contingency of death, he would never end.

Lucky for that then, right?

Objects should not touch because they are not alive. You use them, put them back in place, you live among them: they are useful, nothing more. But they touch me, it is unbearable. I am afraid of being in contact with them as though they were living beasts.

Not only that but hell is other people.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Philosophy Tweets

"There is no gift of immortality at the end of all this." David Bowie

Well, he knows by now. If, in fact, the gift of immortality is actually up there. Or down there.

"And that period of time - from today until my demise - is the only thing that fascinates me." David Bowie

Wow, not unlike the rest of us.

"I keep going backwards and forwards between agnosticism & atheism, because they mean a lot in my life." David Bowie

Agnosticism for sure, right?

"The truth is of course is that there is no journey. We are arriving and departing all at the same time." David Bowie

Sounds like a journey to me. If only from the cradle to the grave.

"There's a terror in knowing what the world is about." David Bowie

Of course: Cue God.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming." David Bowie

He once believed.
Or still does?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

In speaking of this desire for our own far off country, which we find in ourselves even now, I feel a certain shyness. I am almost committing an indecency. I am trying to rip open the inconsolable secret in each one of you—the secret which hurts so much that you take your revenge on it by calling it names like Nostalgia and Romanticism and Adolescence; the secret also which pierces with such sweetness that when, in very intimate conversation, the mention of it becomes imminent, we grow awkward and affect to laugh at ourselves; the secret we cannot hide and cannot tell, though we desire to do both. We cannot tell it because it is a desire for something that has never actually appeared in our experience. We cannot hide it because our experience is constantly suggesting it, and we betray ourselves like lovers at the mention of a name. Our commonest expedient is to call it beauty and behave as if that had settled the matter. Wordsworth’s expedient was to identify it with certain moments in his own past. But all this is a cheat. If Wordsworth had gone back to those moments in the past, he would not have found the thing itself, but only the reminder of it; what he remembered would turn out to be itself a remembering. The books or the music in which we thought the beauty was located will betray us if we trust to them; it was not in them, it only came through them, and what came through them was longing. These things—the beauty, the memory of our own past—are good images of what we really desire; but if they are mistaken for the thing itself they turn into dumb idols, breaking the hearts of their worshipers. For they are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never yet visited.
C.S. Lewis
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

C. S. Lewis

Note to Immanuel Can:

His soul was saved, right?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

That is between Mr. Lewis and God, my son. For by God's grace and being are all things absolved, even Lewis's horrible books.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

One word, Ma’am,” he said, coming back from the fire; limping, because of the pain. “One word. All you’ve been saying is quite right, I shouldn’t wonder. I’m a chap who always liked to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it. So I won’t deny any of what you said. But there’s one more thing to be said, even so. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things-trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that’s a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We’re just babies making up a game, if you’re right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That’s why I’m going to stand by the play world. I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t any Aslan to lead it. I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia. So, thanking you kindly for our supper, if these two gentlemen and the young lady are ready, we’re leaving your court at once and setting out in the dark to spend our lives looking for Overland. Not that our lives will be very long, I should think; but that’s a small loss if the world’s as dull a place as you say.
C.S. Lewis
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

“We must show our Christian colors if we are to be true to Jesus Christ.” C.S. Lewis

Can you say that?

Note to henry:

I Googled C.S. Lewis/bazookas...nothing.