Quote of the day

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Quote of the day

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:34 pm ...I am a reject from ILP that is ruining a thread where forum members would normally post a "Quote of the day"
Preferably, one of their own, but in your case a barage where you seem to think it intelligent to post quotes in multitudes from multiple sources rendering the thread BORING. :evil:
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:49 pm
iambiguous wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:34 pm ...I am a reject from ILP that is ruining a thread where forum members would normally post a "Quote of the day"
Preferably, one of their own, but in your case a barage where you seem to think it intelligent to post quotes in multitudes from multiple sources rendering the thread BORING. :evil:
Unbelievable.

Well, if not entirely typical of the reactions I get from your ilk -- the objectivists -- over the years. Over at ILP, my quote thread has garnered 869,229 views. And here, since I started to c/p my posts from ILP, this thread garners at least a 1,000 views a week. And given that the preponderance of posts here are from me, I'd venture to guess that lots and lots of folks here aren't bored reading them at all.

But that's it with you for me here. Post whatever you will about me. I will simply ignore all of your "contributions" to the PN forum.

I gave you a chance to demonstrate what I construe to be intellectual depth. But enough is enough when you start putting me on the subject line and start following me around to threads like this.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:30 pm
attofishpi wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:49 pm
Unbelievable.

Well, if not entirely typical of the reactions I get from your ilk -- the objectivists -- over the years. Over at ILP, my quote thread has garnered 869,229 views. And here, since I started to c/p my posts from ILP, this thread garners at least a 1,000 views a week. And given that the preponderance of posts here are from me, I'd venture to guess that lots and lots of folks here aren't bored reading them at all.
It's like you are comparing yourself to Ed Sheeran.
Quantity != Quality

iambiguous wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:30 pmBut that's it with you for me here. Post whatever you will about me. I will simply ignore all of your "contributions" to the PN forum.
That's going to be even more boring, since you are such easy fodder for humour.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

ffs iambigtwatuous

It's 1am , I just opened the fridge and I've still got two Guinesses left that need to be consumed - hopefully someone can entertain me. Promethean is good fun, can't wait for that other dude he's summoned from I LOVE LOVE OF PHILOSOPHY. :mrgreen:
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Philosophy Tweets

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Them and a ton of money.

"The way you see people is the way you treat them, and the way you treat them is what they become." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Talk about a "general description intellectusl contraption"!

"The decline of literature indicates the decline of a nation." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Imagine him strolling down the best seller lists today!

"Many people take no care of their money till they come nearly to the end of it, and others do just the same with their time." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Pick one:
1] genes
2] memes

“We say that time is a great teacher. It’s too bad that it kills all its students.” Hector Berlioz

You know, so far.

"The most common form of despair is not being who you are." Soren Kierkegaard

Imagine then not being who "I" am.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

David Foster Wallace from Infinite Jest

I'll say God seems to have a kind of laid-back management style I'm not crazy about. I'm pretty much anti-death. God looks by all accounts to be pro-death. I'm not seeing how we can get together on this issue, he and I...

And he and God now?

...that no single, individual moment is in and of itself unendurable.

He argued right up until the moment he himself pulled the plug.

...most substance-addicted people are also addicted to thinking, meaning they have a compulsive and unhealthy relationship with their own thinking.

I know that I do. Only now, I don't have access to a substance.

Mediocrity is contextual.

Not unlike, for example, everything else.

It now lately sometimes seemed a black miracle to me that people could actually care deeply about a subject or pursuit, and could go on caring this way for years on end. Could dedicate their entire lives to it. It seemed admirable and at the same time pathetic. We are all dying to give our lives away to something, maybe.

Back again to these guys: https://youtu.be/jUjxC3fCt-c

Why not? Why not not, then, if the best reasoning you can contrive is why not?

How about this: Because.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Werner Twertzog

Read Epictetus. Also, avoid carbs.

Or: Avoid carbs. And then read Epictetus.

The ultimate tweet has no characters, as we all know.

Next up: the ultimate post.

Farewell, Mikhail. You tried.

Next up: Glasnost in Heaven. Perestroika in Hell.

I whined to my mother that I was hungry. She gave me a hatchet and pointed to the mountains.

Then he whined about that.

I would like my cremated remains compressed into a diamond bullet that shall be fired into the heart of Italian Neorealism.

New thread?

Our real education begins after we are dead.

Any guesses on the curriculum?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Markus Zusak

Humans, if nothing else, have the good sense to die.

Well, if that's what you want to call it.

She was saying goodbye and she didn't even know it.

Don't you just hate that?

I have to say that although it broke my heart, I was, and still am, glad I was there.

Of course that can get tricky.

So much good, so much evil. Just add water.

Of course that can get tricky.

It's not a big thing, but I guess it's true---big things are often just small things that are noticed.

Show me yours, I'll show you mine.

I guess humans like to watch a little destruction. Sand castles, houses of cards, that's where they begin. Their great skills is their capacity to escalate.

No exceptions here, right?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Jan Mieszkowski

Wittgenstein: A good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes.
Heidegger: What's a joke?
Nietzsche: What's a good philosophical work?
Schopenauer: I'm smirking because we're all going to die.

In reverse order of course.

"A picture is a secret about a secret." Diane Arbus

Next up: a post.

"Life must be lived forwards but can only be understood backwards."
Kierkegaard
"The only way to do philosophy is to do everything twice."
Wittgenstein

Uh, a context maybe?

Philosophy begins
Plato: in confusion
Aristotle: in wonder
Kierkegaard: with dread
Sartre: when Che lights your cigar

You know, for all practical purposes.

French philosophy: I am not a god
British philosophy: I am not a machine
German philosophy: I am not a philosopher
American philosophy: I’m in a band

So, which band are you in?

Even the boldest of passers-by never dared ask Samuel Beckett who he was waiting for.

More to the point, is anyone asking him now?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Simone de Beauvoir from The Mandarins

I tried to love you less. I couldn't.

And how grim that can be, right?

He formed his sentences hesitantly and then threw them at me with such force that I felt as if I were receiving a present each time.

Next up: my sentences here.

You said something very true the other day: that for us, nudity begins with the face.

My guess: not all of them.

But I must admit I didn't like that idea; do the same thing as everyone else. Eating to live, living to eat - that had been the nightmare of my adolescence. If it meant going back to that, if would be just as well to turn on the gas at once. But I suppose everyone thinks of things like that: let's turn on the gas at once. And you don´t turn it on.

Or you do.

He reflected. 'I know a lot of different kinds of people; what I want is to show each of them how the others really are. You hear so many lies!'

Or, sometimes, even worse, so many truths.

Surviving one’s own life, living on the other side of it like a spectator, is quite comfortable after all. You no longer expect anything, no longer fear anything, and every hour is like a memory.

Anyone here survive their own life?
Last edited by iambiguous on Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

God

Today will be sunny with a chance of apocalypse.

If not today, than tomorrow for sure.

The reason I promised never to destroy the world by flood again was because I knew you would.

You know, being omniscient.

I love you unconditionally provided you do certain things.

If only all the way to the grave.

Serena Williams won 23 Grand Slam titles.
To put that in perspective, you have won zero Grand Slam titles.

Incredibly enough, I couldn't care less.

I really am God, this really is My Twitter account, and if you don't believe that you're really going to Hell.

Let's call His bluff. If it is one, of course.

If history has taught you anything, I'd be stunned.

Next up: If religion has taught you anything.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Edward Abbey

What is the purpose of the giant sequoia tree? The purpose of the giant sequoia tree is to provide shade for the tiny titmouse.

Tell that to Weyerhaeuser.

Poor Hayduke: won all his arguments but lost his immortal soul.

You tell me.

Standing there, gaping at this monstrous and inhumane spectacle of rock and cloud and sky and space, I feel a ridiculous greed and possessiveness come over me. I want to know it all, posess it all, embrace the entire scene intimately, deeply, totally...

Yes, even this could become a "condition".

Philosophy without action is the ruin of the soul. One brave deed is worth a hundred books, a thousand theories, a million words. Now as always we need heroes. And heroines! Down with the passive and the limp.

You know what's coming: Sieg Heil!!

The children are innocent until proven guilty.

Remember back what that was always true?

We are preoccupied with time. If we could learn to love space as deeply as we are now obsessed with time, we might discover a new meaning in the phrase 'to live like men'.

Uh, discuss?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Woman Still Holding Onto Hope That Toxic Friendship Could Blossom Into A Toxic Relationship

That's not anyone here, is it?

Less Popular Friend Proposes Combining Birthdays Into Single Party

Not only that, but it worked!

Kindergarten Class Burning Through 6 Hamsters A Year

PETA)!

Lies All Police Officers Are Legally Allowed To Tell You

Especially if you're black or brown, he guessed.

Local Priest Takes Great Pride In Never Having Molested Anyone

Or so he says.

Man In Rental Car Spends 20 Minutes Trying To Find Steering Wheel

Yo, Ecmandu!Tell me that's not a "condition"!!
Walker

Post by Walker »

Each and every person is, or becomes, an asshole to someone.

iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Colin Wilson from The Outsider

The Outsider is he who cannot accept life as it is, who cannot consider his own existence or anyone else’s necessary. He sees ‘too deep and too much’.

No, really.

It leads to a realization that man is not a constant, unchanging being: he is one person one day, another person the next. He forgets easily, lives in the moment, seldom exerts will-power, and even when he does, gives up the effort after a short time, or forgets his original aim and turns to something else. No wonder that poets feel such despair when they seem to catch a glimpse of some intenser state of consciousness, and know with absolute certainty that nothing they can do can hold it fast. And this theme, implicit in Sartre, Camus, Hemingway, and even more explicit in writers like T. S. Eliot and Aldous Huxley, leads to a question, ‘How can man be stronger? How can he be less of a slave of circumstances?'

No, really.

If you say that everything—chaos, darkness, anathema— can be reduced to mathematical formulae—then man will go insane on purpose to have no judgement, and to behave as he likes. I believe this because it appears that man’s whole business is to prove that he is a man and not a cog-wheel.

And, let's face it, women too.
Well, not counting her, of course.

The vitality of the ordinary members of society is dependent on its Outsiders.

Well, he thought, I don't know about that.

At the same time, it is necessary to bear in mind Hesse’s recognition that, strictly speaking, there is no such thing as man; ‘Man is a bourgeois compromise.’ The primitive religious notion of man’s relation to his creator collapses under the Outsider’s criticism.

You know, like your notion of it collapses here.

Freedom posits free-will; that is self-evident. But Will can only operate when there is first a motive. No motive, no willing. But motive is a matter of belief; you would not want to do anything unless you believed it possible and meaningful. And belief must be belief in the existence of something; that is to say, it concerns what is real. So ultimately, freedom depends upon the real. The Outsider’s sense of unreality cuts off his freedom at the root. It is as impossible to exercise freedom in an unreal world as it is to jump while you are falling.

Let's decide:
1] goes too far
2] doesn't go far enough