Quote of the day

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Vitruvius

Re: Quote of the day

Post by Vitruvius »

There's no such thing as 'more sustainable.' Sustainability is binary: either we are sustainable or not. There's less unsustainable, that makes sense, but "more sustainable" does not.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

"You'll still be hearing that one..." - Nigel Tufnel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Me1n9nqDM

-Imp
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Vitruvius wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:02 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:46 pm I know you have no clue what I am talking about. I come to this forum to learn but so far nobody has helped with my problem about correlations. When I first read that quotation from you I thought here is someone who understands about correlations.
Vitruvius wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:14 pmI understand correlation as well as the next university graduate; what I don't understand is your problem with it. I love this one; more people die in hospitals than in McDonald's so if I have a heart attack, get a big mac and milkshake down me, stat! That's a spurious correlation.
Belinda wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:53 amMaybe, but you don't understand that correlations, negative or positive, are not always causal but are sometimes laws of nature(or science).
So your problem with correlations then, is what you assume I don't understand?

How do you know what I understand, or don't understand?

Are you a mind reader?
No, its just that you don't philosophise about acausal correlations.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Vitruvius wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:34 pm There's no such thing as 'more sustainable.' Sustainability is binary: either we are sustainable or not. There's less unsustainable, that makes sense, but "more sustainable" does not.
Yes we have reached the choice between life or death.Unless there is some deus ex machina we know not of.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:46 pm I know you have no clue what I am talking about. I come to this forum to learn but so far nobody has helped with my problem about correlations. When I first read that quotation from you I thought here is someone who understands about correlations.
Vitruvius wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:14 pmI understand correlation as well as the next university graduate; what I don't understand is your problem with it. I love this one; more people die in hospitals than in McDonald's so if I have a heart attack, get a big mac and milkshake down me, stat! That's a spurious correlation.
Belinda wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:53 amMaybe, but you don't understand that correlations, negative or positive, are not always causal but are sometimes laws of nature(or science).

Are you a mind reader?
Belinda wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:03 pmNo, its just that you don't philosophise about acausal correlations.
Such as?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Vitruvius wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:16 pm

Are you a mind reader?
Belinda wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:03 pmNo, its just that you don't philosophise about acausal correlations.
Such as?
We already had that quarrel about Venus and the stars.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Belinda wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:32 pm We already had that quarrel about Venus and the stars.
Interesting use of language; so you're quarrelling? That's why you're so awkward. It's not mere stupidity? Huh! May I ask what you're quarrelling about exactly?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Vitruvius wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:06 pm
Belinda wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:32 pm We already had that quarrel about Venus and the stars.
Interesting use of language; so you're quarrelling? That's why you're so awkward. It's not mere stupidity? Huh! May I ask what you're quarrelling about exactly?
Call it a difference of opinion o an argument if you prefer and save your energy for the fight for survival.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Belinda wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:51 pm
Vitruvius wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:06 pm
Call it a difference of opinion or an argument if you prefer and save your energy for the fight for survival.
Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

Belinda wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:51 pm Call it a difference of opinion or an argument if you prefer and save your energy for the fight for survival.
I have no desire to argue with you. I'm trying to show you how weak your position is when other people can say you're wrong, and you cannot but agree. I'm trying to show you the diseased heart of the subjectivist, relativist, post modernist dogma you're propounding.

Oops, sorry, wrong thread. I was wrong to write that here. That was not correct!
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker

Post by Walker »

“This pattern has no precedent in American history.”
- Michael Goodwin

Source:
Tragic cost of Biden’s Afghanistan lies
https://nypost.com/2021/09/28/tragic-co ... s-goodwin/

Commentary: Joe Biden, trailblazer into new vistas/dimensions of incompetence … but Hunter is safe.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

”If I believed the things YOU believe, I would act that same way “

EVERY time two people are angry or upset with each other it’s because they’re misunderstanding each other. If we could read each others minds and feel exactly what the other person was thinking and feeling we would do exactly the same thing as them. Everything is relative.
Walker

Post by Walker »

“Let’s go Brandon!”

- millions

:lol:

Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

“...there is a principled reason to be hesitant on the Covid-19 vaccine, and, far from positioning people as “anti-vaxxers” for holding that position, it is perfectly reasonable and needs articulation. Put simply, it’s this: people should have to be convinced, not coerced or forced, into accepting a vaccine into their bodies, especially under the conditions presented by Covid-19 and its vaccine. That is, the argument for getting vaccinated needs to be made, not merely assumed, and neither coercion nor force makes that argument.”

(James Lindsay)