Quote of the day

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

promethean75

Re: Quote of the day

Post by promethean75 »

"Following the Second World War, psychologists conducted research into the different motives and tendencies that account for ideological differences between left and right. The early studies focused on conservatives, beginning with Theodor W. Adorno's The Authoritarian Personality (1950) based on the F-scale personality test. This book has been heavily criticized on theoretical and methodological grounds, but some of its findings have been confirmed by further empirical research.

In 1973, British psychologist Glenn Wilson published an influential book providing evidence that a general factor underlying conservative beliefs is "fear of uncertainty." A meta-analysis of research literature by Jost, Glaser, Kruglanski, and Sulloway in 2003 found that many factors, such as intolerance of ambiguity and need for cognitive closure, contribute to the degree of one's political conservatism and its manifestations in decision-making. A study by Kathleen Maclay stated these traits "might be associated with such generally valued characteristics as personal commitment and unwavering loyalty". The research also suggested that while most people are resistant to change, liberals are more tolerant of it."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatism
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Jean-Paul Sartre, from Nausea

Time is too large, it can't be filled up. Everything you plunge into it is stretched and disintegrates.

Well, so far anyway.

Something has happened to me, I can't doubt it any more. It came as an illness does, not like an ordinary certainty, not like anything evident. It came cunningly, little by little; I felt a little strange, a little put out, that's all. Once established it never moved, it stayed quiet, and I was able to persuade myself that nothing was the matter with me, that it was a false alarm. And now, it's blossoming.

Nausea, let's call it.

My passion was dead. For years it had rolled over and submerged me; now I felt empty. But that wasn't the worst: before me, posed with a sort of indolence, was a voluminous, insipid idea. I did not see clearly what it was, but it sickened me so much I couldn't look at it.

I'll have mine, you'll have yours.

My thought is me: that’s why I can’t stop. I exist because I think … and I can’t stop myself from thinking. At this very moment—it’s frightful—if I exist, it is because I am horrified at existing. I am the one who pulls myself from the nothingness to which I aspire: the hatred, the disgust of existing, there are as many ways to make myself exist, to thrust myself into existence. Thoughts are born at the back of me, like sudden giddiness, I feel them being born behind my head … if I yield, they’re going to come round in front of me, between my eyes— and I always yield, the thought grows and grows and there it is, immense, filling me completely and renewing my existence.

I'll have mine, you'll have yours.

...know very well that I don’t want to do anything: to do something is to create existence—and there’s quite enough existence as it is.

I'll post this and then stop.

A man rarely feels like laughing alone.

Not counting being online here, of course.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

God

Thoughts and prayers to anyone who thinks thoughts and prayers do a damn thing.

Yo, her! Now what? 8)

The Rapture is cancelled.

What, again?

I don't want those nutjobs anywhere near Me.

Any nutjobs here?

Do not kill in My name.
Killing is the last thing in the world I need help with.

God, the Thug.

Government of the mullahs, by the mullahs and for the mullahs must perish from the earth.

So, what is Mr. Omnipotent waiting for then?

You call it climate change.
Earth calls it revenge.

Teleologically as it were.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Fyodor Dostoyevsky from Notes from Underground

I am a sick man...I am a spiteful man. An unattractive man. I think that my liver hurts.

You know where we're going now, don't you?

If you were to destroy in mankind the belief in immortality, not only love but every living force maintaining the life of the world would at once be dried up. Moreover, nothing then would be immoral, everything would be permissible, even cannibalism.

You know, being optimistic.

I am to blame because, first of all, I am cleverer than anybody else around me.

On the other hand, here, how hard can that be?

Long live the underground!

For now anyway.

This pleasure came precisely from being too clearly aware of your own degradation; from the feeling of having gone to the uttermost limits; that it is was vile, bit it could not have been otherwise; that you could not escape, you could never make yourself into a different person.

Pleasure as it were let's say.

Which is better a cheap happiness or lofty suffering? Tell me then, which is better?

Lofty happiness of course.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Ken Starr’s Family Finds Note Ordering Them To Frame Monica Lewinsky For His Death

The note with "the stain" on it.

School Administration Reminds Female Students Bulletproof Vests Must Cover Midriff

In the South of course.

Self-Conscious Flasher Fully Clothed Under Trench Coat

Self-conscious jury convicts him anyway.

Man Who Stopped Dieting Already Seeing Results

Check it out: https://www.google.com/search?source=un ... =625&dpr=1

Girlfriend’s Back Too Knotted And Gnarled For Massage To Turn Sexy

Next up: girlfriend's front.

Officer Claims He Cracked Open Man’s Skull To Check For Drugs

And what he did find instead.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Jean Luc Godard

Every edit is a lie.

Though, surely, not every edit here.

There is no such thing as intellectual property.

Well, not counting our own, of course.

In a sense, fear is the daughter of God, redeemed on Good Friday. She is not beautiful, mocked, cursed or disowned by all. But don’t be mistaken, she watches over all mortal agony, she intercedes for mankind; for there is a rule and an exception. Culture is the rule, and art is the exception. Everybody speaks the rule; cigarette, computer, t-shirt, television, tourism, war. Nobody speaks the exception. It isn’t spoken, it is written; Flaubert, Dostoyevsky. It is composed; Gershwin, Mozart. It is painted; Cézanne, Vermeer. It is filmed; Antonioni, Vigo. Or it is lived, then it is the art of living; Srebrenica, Mostar, Sarajevo. The rule is to want the death of the exception. So the rule for cultural Europe is to organise the death of the art of living, which still flourishes.

Next up: fitting Vladimir Putin into all of this.

If you want to make a documentary you should automatically go to the fiction, and if you want to nourish your fiction you have to come back to reality.

A "new wave' thing let's call it.

Poetry is a game of loser-take-all.

Next up: where they take it.

My aesthetic is that of the sniper on the roof.

Ah, like mine here.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Kamala Harris Briefly Ponders Stepping Across DMZ To Whatever Fate Awaits Her

Any updates?

Brett Favre Makes Amends By Sending Photo Of His Penis To Every Mississippian On Welfare

Well, I guess that does count for something, right?

Biden Issues Urgent Warning For Americans To Decide What To Be For Halloween Now

Some suggestions: https://www.google.com/search?source=un ... =625&dpr=1

McDonald’s To Start Offering Happy Meals For Adults

About time, isn't it?

Asshole Moves To Part Of City Where All The Assholes Live

Or, here: Pinhead Posts In Part Of Philosophy Forum Where All The Pinheads Post

Body Breaking Down In Totally Different Order Than Man Expected

Fortunately, mine is breaking down in exactly the right order.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Barbara Ehrenreich

We can hardly pride ourselves on being the world’s preeminent democracy, after all, if the large numbers of citizens spend half their waking hours in what amounts, in plain terms, to a dictatorship.

Pick one:
1] goes too far
2] doesn't go far enough

Human intellectual progress, such as it has been, results from our long struggle to see things 'as they are,' or in the most universally comprehensible way, and not as projections of our own emotions. Thunder is not a tantrum in the sky, disease is not a divine punishment, and not every death or accident results from witchcraft. What we call the Enlightenment and hold on to only tenuously, by our fingernails, is the slow-dawning understanding that the world is unfolding according to its own inner algorithms of cause and effect, probability and chance, without any regard for human feelings.

Of course, not much progress here.

Then, in the 1980's, came the paroxysm of downsizing, and the very nature of the corporation was thrown into doubt. In what began almost as a fad and quickly matured into an unshakable habit, companies were 'restructuring,' 'reengineering,' and generally cutting as many jobs as possible, white collar as well as blue . . . The New York Times captured the new corporate order succintly in 1987, reporting that it 'eschews loyalty to workers, products, corporate structures, businesses, factories, communities, even the nation. All such allegiances are viewed as expendable under the new rules. With survival at stake, only market leadership, strong profits and a high stock price can be allowed to matter'.

Of course, that's all changed, right?

What these [personality] tests tell employers about potential employees is hard to imagine since the 'right' answer should be obvious to anyone who has ever encountered the principle of hierarchy and subordination. Do I work well with others? You bet, but never to the point where I would hesitate to inform on them for the slightest infraction. Am I capable of independent decision making? Oh yes, but I know better than to let this capacity interfere with a slavish obedience to orders . . .

Etcetera, etcetera...

According to a recent poll, 94% of Americans agree that "people who work fulltime should be able to earn enough to keep their families out of poverty."

And I'll bet the other 6% are here.

When you watch television, you never see people watching television. We love television because it brings us a world in which television does not exist.

That and, I suspect, other reasons.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

Area Man Accepts Burden Of Being Only Person On Earth Who Understands How World Actually Works

Next up: Area Poster.

Mom Figures It About Time To Sit Down Adolescent Daughter And Explain How Weight Watchers Points Work

No, seriously, how do they work?

Experts Say It's Not Too Late To Change Careers At 50, Though They Sure As Fuck Wouldn’t

Well, they don't call them experts for nothing.

Police Horse Unaware That's What He Is

And, incredibly enough, police dog too.

Serial Killer Thinking Of Interesting Ways To Incorporate Social Media

Any suggestions?

Teen Wastes Prime Childbearing Years Going To High School

Middle school too, right?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Got some fresh Lichtenstein for ya hot off the press. Behold, and be ye schooled.

https://www.quora.com/How-does-one-enjo ... chtenstein
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Margaret Atwood from The Handmaid's Tale

That was when they suspended the Constitution. They said it would be temporary. There wasn't even any rioting in the streets. People stayed home at night, watching television, looking for some direction. There wasn't even an enemy you could put your finger on.

Fortunately, we have an enemy to put our finger on, don't we?

We lived, as usual by ignoring. Ignoring isn't the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Practice makes perfect to say the least.

As all historians know, the past is a great darkness, and filled with echoes.

Not unlike the present and the future.

I avoid looking down at my body, not so much because it’s shameful or immodest but because I don’t want to see it. I don’t want to look at something that determines me so completely.

If only from head to toe.
And if only from the cradle to the grave.

I feel like cotton candy: sugar and air. Squeeze me and I’d turn into a small sickly damp wad of weeping pinky-red.

No, really, what is cotton candy?

Faith is only a word, embroidered.

Not unlike, for most here, belief itself.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

The Onion

NASA Panics After Asteroid Fires Back

My kind of asteroid.

Weird Bug Being Eaten By Even Weirder Bug

Next up: the weirdest bug of all.

Stargazing Woman Reminded Of How Small Own Tits Are In Grand Scheme Of Things

Next up: stargazing man.

Man Returns To Work After Vacation With Fresh, Reenergized Hatred For Job

Good for him!

Goldman Sachs Announces They’re Blowing Up A Nursing Home And There’s Nothing Anyone Can Do About It

Good for them!

Winning Lottery Numbers So Obvious In Hindsight

Don't you just hate that?
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Eric Hoffer

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.

Here for example!!

We lie the loudest when we lie to ourselves.

Fortunately, over time, you barely hear them.
Or, sure, unfortunately.

Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.

The American dream, for example.

People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them.

The part they leave out.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Not that they have a clue why.

The Jews are a peculiar people: Things permitted to other nations are forbidden to the Jews.

Other nations drive out thousands, even millions of people, and there is no refugee problem. Russia did it. Poland and Czechoslovakia did it. Turkey threw out a million Greeks and Algeria a million Frenchmen. Indonesia threw out heaven knows how many Chinese--and no one says a word about refugees.

But in the case of Israel, the displaced Arabs have become eternal refugees. Everyone insists that Israel must take back every single Arab. Arnold Toynbee calls the displacement of the Arabs an atrocity greater than any committed by the Nazis. Other nations when victorious on the battlefield dictate peace terms. But when Israel is victorious it must sue for peace.

Everyone expects the Jews to be the only real Christians in this world.

Will this ever be resolved?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

"[Putin was] not joking when he talks about the use of tactical nuclear weapons or biological or chemical weapons, We have not faced the prospect of Armageddon since Kennedy and the Cuban Missile Crisis." - Joe Biden

-Imp
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

tiny nietzsche

people aren't staring at me, they're staring with me

No, they're definitely staring [if not glaring] at me here.

live by the pen, die by the pen

Or the keyboard.

there are two twelve foot skeletons inside each of us

You tell me.

october is your last chance to work things out before winter fucks you up

Or, if you're lucky, november.

Plato: Leave the cave
Heidegger: Leave the metropolis
Nietzsche: Leave me alone

As long as you leave being the point, I suspect.

I don't know much about art, but I know what makes me cry

Or laugh like hell.