Anyone interested in Heidegger and the like?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

odysseus

Anyone interested in Heidegger and the like?

Post by odysseus »

I am reading his essays on technology, art, and others. Also Being and Time. obviously. If anyone has an interest in such things, let me know. I also am (always already) reading Levinas, Kierkegaard, Husserl...
-1-

Re: Anyone interested in Heidegger and the like?

Post by -1- »

odysseus wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:47 pm I am reading his essays on technology, art, and others. Also Being and Time. obviously. If anyone has an interest in such things, let me know. I also am (always already) reading Levinas, Kierkegaard, Husserl...
Most of us on this forum can't read. There are others, a handful, or maybe half a dozen, who can, and they put forth these ideas that sound ridiculous to us, but we drown them in stupid opposition.

Well, I wish you good luck in securing a quorum to form a successfully operating circle of reading buddies for you.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

-1-
Most of us on this forum can't read. There are others, a handful, or maybe half a dozen, who can, and they put forth these ideas that sound ridiculous to us, but we drown them in stupid opposition.
I'll take that as a "no, I'm not interested either" then, shall I?
SleepyTime

Post by SleepyTime »

I’m currently halfway through Heidegger’s Introduction to Metaphysics and found his fundamental questions and writing to be very beautiful. I think he is the one who most resonated with me since I was trying to read a lot of ethics from Foucault backwards through Plato and the Pre-Socratics. I am just a casual reader. But his ideas of Being were very beautiful and enlivening for me, with his references even to Heraclitus and Parmenides. Roland Barthes was the person who probably most affected me, but I am tending to skip around a lot. Other than that I want to learn more of biopolitics because I think it is useful these days. Gadamer, Judith Butler, continuing on the Pre-Socratics, Lao Tzu, and others are also on my shelf waiting for me, half-paged through and set down for later.

Intro to Metaphysics made me pick up Being and Time which I have on my bookshelf now—just need to finish with this one first.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

SleepyTime
I’m currently halfway through Heidegger’s Introduction to Metaphysics and found his fundamental questions and writing to be very beautiful. I think he is the one who most resonated with me since I was trying to read a lot of ethics from Foucault backwards through Plato and the Pre-Socratics. I am just a casual reader. But his ideas of Being were very beautiful and enlivening for me, with his references even to Heraclitus and Parmenides. Roland Barthes was the person who probably most affected me, but I am tending to skip around a lot. Other than that I want to learn more of biopolitics because I think it is useful these days. Gadamer, Judith Butler, continuing on the Pre-Socratics, Lao Tzu, and others are also on my shelf waiting for me, half-paged through and set down for later.

Intro to Metaphysics made me pick up Being and Time which I have on my bookshelf now—just need to finish with this one first.
Are you still there? I have been away for a while. Pick a text and I will read it and we can discuss it. Being and Time sets the stage for Heidegger's phenomenology, and his later works are closely related. But am game for any you would like to discuss.

Heidegger is fascinating, but one has to be able to take phenomenology seriously. Many cannot, and he is not at all popular in analytic philosophy. Those who think and write in the latter use empirical science as their baseline for assumptions. Heidegger does not. His philosophy treats science as just one of many different interpretative contexts of dasein. I would not mind at all going to the beginning of B&T and going through it to refresh my understanding. But, like I said, any will do.