NEW "James" Bond to be Black Woman

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

PeteJ

Re: NEW "James" Bond to be Black Woman

Post by PeteJ »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:44 am
PeteJ wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:09 am If we can have Mel Gibson as William Wallace and Kevin Costner as Robin Hood, then why not a black female James Bond?
Because we do not want to repeat what were Bl*ody awful films.
"Dey woont tak ouwr freeedum!!!"

You might as well cast John Wayne as Ghengis Khan!
If he was still acting I wouldn't be surprised to see this. What about Charlton Heston as El Cid and Michelangelo? Surreal or what? I see it as a mix of imperialist propaganda and cultural deafness.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

PeteJ wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:53 am
Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:44 am
PeteJ wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:09 am If we can have Mel Gibson as William Wallace and Kevin Costner as Robin Hood, then why not a black female James Bond?
Because we do not want to repeat what were Bl*ody awful films.
"Dey woont tak ouwr freeedum!!!"

You might as well cast John Wayne as Ghengis Khan!
If he was still acting I wouldn't be surprised to see this. What about Charlton Heston as El Cid and Michelangelo? Surreal or what? I see it as a mix of imperialist propaganda and cultural deafness.
Truth is stranger than fiction

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049092/?r ... lmg_act_45
-1-

Post by -1- »

Right. And while we are at it, why not Bertrand Russell as Snowhite, Pamela Lee-Anderson as Bambi, and Henry Fonda as a pebble on the beach. (I'm just being silly.)
Walker

Re: miscast

Post by Walker »

Jack Reacher 6’6” 250 lbs.
Size and strength intimidation.

Tom Cruise, 5’7” 170 lbs.
Short-man disease.

Great Dane vs Chawawa
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:17 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:36 am thanks for reply -1

;-).
Most of the movies you listed I haven't seen. Honestly, just "Lives of Others" which is top-ranking in my lists, too, except you can only watch it once. To me the turning point in the spy's outlook was not a conscious decision, based on facts and arguments, but something entirely different-- it was Beethoven's Piano Concerto no. 7, which grabbed him and shook him until he cried and his old self died, to give him a new life.

Most movies I can't watch any more because they lose their ability to sustain my suspended disbelief. With a very few exceptions, this covers almost all movies made before the mid-sixties.

A comedy, exp. a satire, always wins my heart. It is easier for me to watch Life of Brian or The Holy Grail fifty times than to watch a Bela Tarr movie even once.

One of the most intelligently put-together action comedy, IF not the most intelligent, was "Snatch". I was riveted to my seat, and had to watch it six times (with at least a three-month gap between sessions) before I realized it had two story-lines running which never actualy met.

And I like absolutely silly, meaningless movies, as well, as long as they are funny. Such were the first four instalments of "scary movie", or else "Airplane", etc.

Of the Americans, I bow to and watch with awe the good movies of Woody Allen and of the Coen Brothers. Watch "Bullets over Broadway", please. If you have ever been involved in the creative arts side of writing, that is a magnificently put-together epic. In the 1960s Czechs produced a string of hilariously funny social satires, which never aired in Canada, because the content would have been lost for its double-antandre, for the viewers here. Three, off of the top of my head, were "Ecce Homo Homolka", "The Homolkas on the Pickle Tree", and "The Tattooed man". The humour in "Closely Watched Trains" was too subtle for me, I need more robust stuff. And I had developed such hatred for the bias of the author of the book "The Incredible Lightness of Being" that I boycotted the movie of the same title. That madafaka spake against everything I stand for: Rock music, long hair, dancing as if nobody was watching you, and people fucking -- while his heroes' fucking was all good, noble and god-like. That author makes me puke. He is more nationalistically fascist than Hitler, Attila the Hun, and Karl May put together in their written works. (Although I adored Karl May in my reading years, back at around 14-16 years of age.)

I also love action movies. The best wes of course the Bourne trilogy (the fourth installment was watchable, but not up to par). Hanna, Haywire. The Hunger Games was too visual on the expense of acting and storyline. Some Korean movie was made with the same ilk but different style and action as the Bourne, and the Brits made a good move of a bank robbery.

For psychological, I liked the Amy version of "The Point of No Return". Very much.

For philosophical content, I absolutely fell for "A Clockwork Orange" and "2001: A Space Odyssey." Their point was in diametric opposition to mine, but their presentation was impeccable.
thanks for rely Sir, i do like talking to you - you have a heart and a mind and use both, so i value discussion with you..

I do not know some of the film works to speak of, but will take a mental note of them!
per "the lives of others" i will have to rewatch ( to me the "turning point was when he read the poet Breich about the clouds - maybe your music reference was prior? (I pirated the DVD via neflix yeas ago - then later bought the Buray of (worthy movie to buy IMO - so bought it).

I do love that movie becuase the character was a good man, but limited by his communism (upringing) - then "Grew" to appreciate the arts (unlike both of his bosses - both were never true beleiver communists, just opportunists/hypocrites).

if you can please view the other films i mentioned when you can, and we can discuss them as well.

i thank you for having both a heart and mind and welcome your posts -1.

I hope your are well Sir, and thanks for reply.
-1-

Post by -1- »

gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:45 pmper "the lives of others" i will have to rewatch ( to me the "turning point was when he read the poet Breich about the clouds - maybe your music reference was prior?
How well I can forget! I don't remember a scene about Breich at all. Or Brecht? Bertold Brecht? I don't remember any such scene. My memory is not very good at all. And maybe I remember wrongly, but the communist spy was crying when he was listening to Beethoven over his earphones.

Thanks for the compliment - likewise.

My uncle had to give a speech to workers in 1952, the height of the Communist terror rule in Hungary. He was of an upper-middle-class background, from before the war, therefore he had no first-contact knowledge of Communist dogma. If he had, he ignored it. But this was no time to ignore it, and before he left he house to give the speech, his sister said, "If they greet you with "Liberty, Brohter", then you reply with "Forever, Comrade," and if they greet you with "Forward, Brother!" then you reply "Unrelentingly, Comrade", and if they greet you with "Let's fight for peace!" then you reply with "To death, Comrade."

My uncle repeated these on his way to the meeting, until he thought he had the couplets properly memorized.

To his surprise and horror, when he showed up and shook hands with the party secretary at the podium, the secretary greeted him thus: "Workers' Unity!" My poor hapless uncle replied, unprepared for this and with what he could only think up under pressure in the moment, "Likewise to you."

So "likewise" has become a symbol in my family for moments when we have to say something, but don't know exactly what to say.
zoey

Post by zoey »

James Bond was a character created at a certain time, for a certain audience. It worked. For creative people, reach is important. As times change, audiences change and then, the characters change to appeal to the new audience. Movies need an audience, so the the movie-makers tweak character, plot lines, situations and even the stunts to appeal to the new audience. They do try and retain certain elements, but I guess the movie makers think its time to change the avatar of James Bond. Whoever plays the role, I can't wait to watch it!
Walker

Post by Walker »

zoey wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:08 am James Bond was a character created at a certain time, for a certain audience. It worked. For creative people, reach is important. As times change, audiences change and then, the characters change to appeal to the new audience. Movies need an audience, so the the movie-makers tweak character, plot lines, situations and even the stunts to appeal to the new audience. They do try and retain certain elements, but I guess the movie makers think its time to change the avatar of James Bond. Whoever plays the role, I can't wait to watch it!
The process you've described can also be viewed as pandering for profit, not creativity.
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

Walker wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:00 am The process you've described can also be viewed as pandering for profit, not creativity.
Quite so. Next we'll have a black woman as Jesus if that's what'll get bums on seats for a bio-pic.

Commercial crassness and total lack of respect for the source material is what I'd call it. His creator described James Bond and this is who he is.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Walker wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:56 pm Jack Reacher 6’6” 250 lbs.

Short-man disease.

Great Dane vs Chawawa
Tom Reacher
Jack Cruise
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:41 am
gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:45 pmper "the lives of others" i will have to rewatch ( to me the "turning point was when he read the poet Breich about the clouds - maybe your music reference was prior?
How well I can forget! I don't remember a scene about Breich at all. Or Brecht? Bertold Brecht? I don't remember any such scene. My memory is not very good at all. And maybe I remember wrongly, but the communist spy was crying when he was listening to Beethoven over his earphones.

Thanks for the compliment - likewise.

My uncle had to give a speech to workers in 1952, the height of the Communist terror rule in Hungary. He was of an upper-middle-class background, from before the war, therefore he had no first-contact knowledge of Communist dogma. If he had, he ignored it. But this was no time to ignore it, and before he left he house to give the speech, his sister said, "If they greet you with "Liberty, Brohter", then you reply with "Forever, Comrade," and if they greet you with "Forward, Brother!" then you reply "Unrelentingly, Comrade", and if they greet you with "Let's fight for peace!" then you reply with "To death, Comrade."

My uncle repeated these on his way to the meeting, until he thought he had the couplets properly memorized.

To his surprise and horror, when he showed up and shook hands with the party secretary at the podium, the secretary greeted him thus: "Workers' Unity!" My poor hapless uncle replied, unprepared for this and with what he could only think up under pressure in the moment, "Likewise to you."

So "likewise" has become a symbol in my family for moments when we have to say something, but don't know exactly what to say.
I'm 53 so rem the cold war and know of history including Hungry and Checklozlovicia. so would welcome more stories about your kin

so amny died unde the iron curtian and todays Russia is no different - sadly.

off topic, sort of, Dark Blue world - great move about the chech's in ww2. sad though.

I'd welcome info about their kin's eventual fates. our uncle lived. no re-eudacttion/etc camps

gto out ok - even without a claim to his rightful owenerships of lands/etc.

I'd welcome more if you ar willing.

Brecht i think is apt, I'm dyslexic so.................
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

PeteJ wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:01 pm
Walker wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:00 am The process you've described can also be viewed as pandering for profit, not creativity.
Quite so. Next we'll have a black woman as Jesus if that's what'll get bums on seats for a bio-pic.
and austistic, one armed lesbion.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:56 pm Jack Reacher 6’6” 250 lbs.

Short-man disease.

Great Dane vs Chawawa
platform shoes.

makes all the difference.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:43 pm Whether or not you like Bond films I'd rather they ended completely rather than bent to arbitrary PC norms.
There are potentially many scenarios that could give a black women a string role which as nothing to do with James Bond, that would be far more credible as a story line.

There was a recent "adaptation" of The Iliad in TV, in which Achilleus was a black man. Each time he appeared on screen it threw up the same question. How come this Greek, kin to Odysseus and Agamemnon does not look like a Greek? The entire story simply lost credibility. You might as well have cast a child, a Chinaman, or a female pygmy from the Congo.

By contrast the casting of Olivier as Othello is not looked upon as a mistake, and an insult to black people. I don't see these two things sitting side by side and making any sense - at least Olivier was blacked up.

It is true that black guys tend to have fewer opportunities for acting, but why not give them roles that reflect their ethnicity? Surely there are great stories from history that would provide work for good black actors?
How racist. There is no such thing as black people--there are only 'people'.
-1-

Post by -1- »

gaffo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:09 am
PeteJ wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:01 pm
and austistic, one armed lesbion.
With water-head (i.e. 5-gallon hat size), cyclopsean, and, for a gnomical relief, hunchback like the bell-ringer.