The Purpose of Philosophy is...

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

The purpose of Philosophy is...

To find actual answers (resulting in an end to all questioning).
67%
To generate thought (no end to the process).
33%

Total votes: 9

henry quirk

Re: "Most social disagreements are miscommunication due to linguistic dogmatism, not the absence of common ground."

Post by henry quirk »

"If the land you are on got stolen from somebody it means that somebody owned the land."

Yeah, we established that already.

#

"Who did that somebody buy the land from?"

How the hell should I know? At some in the past, someone claimed it, later on someone traded for it, later on someone killed for it...that cycle repeated Crom knows how many times. Again: what am I supposed to do about it?

#

"Is there any claim of past ownership you would actually honour and accept? e.g is there any piece of paper, evidence, registry or proof that would make you go "Oh shit! OK. Here is your land back."

Yeah, a piece of paper, evidence, registry, etc. that legitimately would make me go 'oh shit! ok. here's your land back.' would prompt me to pay a visit to the one done sold it to me along with the claimant. If I'm up to my neck in it, then the chain, as far back as we can go, will be equally mired.

#

I missed this part...

"You kinda get to the point where you figure out that 'ownership' is a meaningless concept outside of a legal framework. But in a libertarian society there's no 'property register' is there?"

Again: how folks choose to organize themselves within a natural rights framework is up to them. If folks see the value of such a registry, then they'll have one, if not, they won't.

Ownership: all a legal framework does is make it easier to own; actual ownership (of self, of property) is intrinsic to the owner. Can folks challenge that ownership? Sure: legitimately if the owner has moved to deprive another of his life, liberty, or property, or illegitimately (through theft, murder, slavery, etc.). The first can be avoided (respect the other guy's life, liberty & property), the second ought be avoided (or you may forfeit your life, liberty, or property).
Last edited by henry quirk on Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skepdick

Re: "Most social disagreements are miscommunication due to linguistic dogmatism, not the absence of common ground."

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:12 pm Yeah, a piece of paper, evidence, registry, etc. that legitimately made me go 'oh shit! ok. here's your land back.'
The Native Americans have been asking for their continent back for 500 years...
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:12 pm what am I supposed to do about it?
Well. I dunno. If somebody tried to steal your land from you tomorrow, would you call the police or fight a good fight on your own?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"The Native Americans have been asking for their continent back for 500 years..."

Yeah, none of them can claim the continent cuz none of them or their ancestors legitimately owned the whole of it. Some, however, may, have a claim to my lil chunk of it.

I await the knock on my door.

-----

I expanded my post above...check it out.
henry quirk

Re: The Purpose of Philosophy is...

Post by henry quirk »

"If somebody tried to steal your land from you tomorrow, would you call the police or fight a good fight on your own?"

Depends on who that somebody is.

Some jackhole off the street is liable to get shot; the gov, claimin' eminent domain, will move me to consult a shyster; Sam Two Feathers and me will pay a visit to the fella who sold to me.
ElizaNY

Post by ElizaNY »

The purpose of Philosophy is to find actual answers, of course.
Generating thought with no end to the process just makes no sense. Without a goal, there's no path.
Toppsy Kretts

Post by Toppsy Kretts »

My proposal is that: Philosophy is made up of 2 words, Philo which is Greek meaning love, and Sophy meaning the science of AKA-wisdom of something.

Philosophy literally means the love of wisdom. Discussing and sharing knowledge and basic understandings nature, life, essence and existence of all living creatures and the world around us.

The mind is a very powerful tool and seeking the enchantment of it could be dangerous in the long run, about every mythical story or religious script playing in some factor on "The one who sought to much knowledge" eventually ends up in some tragic accident. Though that being sad, doesn't persuade me to dilute my cravings for understanding of all things though.

Though one who admires Philosophy i believe must also have a personality to be somewhat moderately empathetic in the since of truly understanding those around him. i can want knowledge all the damn day, but understanding why one sees this particular knowledge in this very specific way to be able to either counter the statement or branch off of it is all determined on my ability to truly understand and comprehend the-one who speaks to me-statement.