Discord - anyone interested in audio chat?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Discord - anyone interested in audio chat?

Post by attofishpi »

It's been a thought of mine for a while, rather than always banging away at the keyboard, missing all the mannerisms that one can gleam from a persons voice, that we might want an audio chat, especially here in the lounge..

Discord allows us to chat together - it could be fun!

ALL the gamers - I am one of them, use it. It's free. Once downloaded and setup, one can provide a link to others that will invite them to the chat. It's a voice conference in that respect. I don't only use it with my gaming buddies and the quality is excellent.

You will need a microphone and speakers connected to your PC\Mac. Preferably a headset with a microphone.

It might be interesting to actually hear each other and have a candid chat, whether it be a debate or a lounge type 'hows ya father' kind of thing.

Anyway. if you do decide to have a go (life is too short for procrastination) - I am attofishpi ..surprisingly, and I would recommend people use their PHN usernames to make it simpler!

I am sure some of you are already users of Discord and probably have some ideas as to how we could get a conference chat going once people have installed it - as far as - "hey you want to have a live chat, let's discord"

Well, that's the idea. So I'll put it this way, unless there is a better method:-
During a usual keyboard PHN debate with someone, if you decide you want to get PHN members to conference chat, post the discord invite link in this thread (by default it lasts either 24hrs (recommended) or never to expire) - you choose when you click on the 'create an instant invite' - (the little man icon next to your channel - i've created a voice channel in Discord called 'Philosophy Now')
To those not familiar with Discord - once you have created your username, let the person that has created a voice channel send you the invite link - it can be posted in this thread, that way others can join in!!

Here's my 24hr invite link if you want to test it out:- https://discord.gg/mqtQFD
I probably won't be there now - I need to sleep. But hopefully you get the idea.
You will see your username and a little green circle whenever your microphone is active - when you are talking.

If you think chatting orally with your fellow PHN members might be interesting, then do install Discord. - Don't get left behind the heard :wink: