Missing Thread

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: Missing Thread

Post by Lacewing »

I may get booted too for telling people when I think they're being dishonest and full of crap... :D

Still, I've always thought the site should be protected from being used as a platform by people who clearly just want to manically preach about their particular obsessions/psychosis rather than engaging in interactive discussion about whatever is being said/claimed.
Sage-ish

Post by Sage-ish »

Lacewing, the immature mind always wants to preach and has a need to win, even if that means it needs to lie to do so. Please contact me relative to the family tragedy we both endured through a private message or an email through this site. I removed the link to my website. I will remove my ability to receive the PM or email here too if I receive any thing that is in the form of an attack. I would like to know more about your experiences with the tragedy. And I'd like to know more about your writing. I won't be coming back here otherwise, not even through this thread. I have no need to be around the ego-driven maturationally challenged. It's no lose-lose situation.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Sage-ish wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:07 pm Lacewing, the immature mind always wants to preach and has a need to win, even if that means it needs to lie to do so. Please contact me relative to the family tragedy we both endured through a private message or an email through this site. I removed the link to my website. I will remove my ability to receive the PM or email here too if I receive any thing that is in the form of an attack. I would like to know more about your experiences with the tragedy. And I'd like to know more about your writing. I won't be coming back here otherwise, not even through this thread. I have no need to be around the ego-driven maturationally challenged. It's no lose-lose situation.
the immature mind always wants to preach and has a need to win,

Well, I'll be darned if this is not the purest form of the hypocritical immaturity of a mind that preaches and portends to win via a nicely fabricated passive-aggressive move.

Well done.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

AMod wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:18 pm Still, since we're on the topic of moderation I might as well notify everyone that the 'powers that be' are going to be appointing some new moderators for some of the various categories and although I don't know them, or ever will, I suspect they will bring a different approach than the one this kind and benevolent tyrant has so far allowed. So you'll be getting reasons for why your posts have been deleted and why you've been banned, which I suspect quite a few of you will be.
Should we start a collection now for whichever poor fucker has to wade through the bucket of misery and psycho-sexual malfunction that masquerades a "Gender Philosophy" forum in these parts? That dude/lady/ladydudeboy will need costly PTSD counselling every Thursday afternoon for life.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:11 pm I may get booted too for telling people when I think they're being dishonest and full of crap... :D
That would be philosophically unjustified.

For philosophy to maintain a sliver of credibility it must occasionally inform those who are, in fact, dishonest and full of crap!
AMod

Post by AMod »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Should we start a collection now for whichever poor fucker has to wade through the bucket of misery and psycho-sexual malfunction that masquerades a "Gender Philosophy" forum in these parts? That dude/lady/ladydudeboy will need costly PTSD counselling every Thursday afternoon for life.
The hat is already going around.

AMod.
p.s. Although personally I was opposed to such a section as I thought it'd just fall under Politics.
AMod

Re: "may as well dance"

Post by AMod »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:26 pm Indeed.

The threat seems to be: a bad ass mod is comin'...if you aren't 'philosophical' then you'll get *poofed!* by the bad ass.

Me: I'm not particularly 'philosophical' so I imagine my ass is grass in this place.

So: I may as well dance as I always have.
No,no, there is and has been no threat as I don't know the new mods from Adam and for all I know they'll be kind and benevolent tyrants like myself but since I consider myself fairly unique amongst philosophy fora mods I was just making an observation that they might not be and given that many here are unable or incapable of discussing a subject philosophically or even civilly for that matter and cannot be bothered to acquaint themselves with even a modicum of knowledge about what has actually been said in Philosophy they might not be long for this place. :)

AMod.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"given that many here are unable or incapable of discussing a subject philosophically or even civilly for that matter and cannot be bothered to acquaint themselves with even a modicum of knowledge about what has actually been said in Philosophy they might not be long for this place"

Then, as I say: 'I imagine my ass is grass in this place' (cuz, jeez, you're describin' me on a good day).
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Sage-ish wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:07 pm Lacewing, the immature mind always wants to preach and has a need to win, even if that means it needs to lie to do so.
It appears to me that there has been a lot of that on this forum. Such immaturity, I find it shocking... along with seemingly inexcusable stupidity. But then, I'm being unkind to say that, I suppose. Still, it seems true. :D
Sage-ish wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:07 pmPlease contact me relative to the family tragedy we both endured through a private message or an email through this site.
I responded a little while ago to you on The Truth topic. I'm sorry, but I feel the need to remain private. I'm glad you came on the site and wrote what you did because it presented an opportunity to take yet another unique look at how people handle life, and how it forms their philosophy/outlook.
Sage-ish wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:07 pmI removed the link to my website. I will remove my ability to receive the PM or email here too if I receive any thing that is in the form of an attack.
I turned off my PM feature long ago. I've pissed off a lot of people on this forum with my "insights" :lol: , and although I'm typically doing it with a light (even if feisty) spirit, I do not want to be bogged down in negative energy. I just feel compelled to challenge all kinds of stuff that seems crazy. And the way people present it -- the intensity of their ego -- is usually what inspires my approach.

When I first discovered the forum, I was horrified by the way people talked to each other. I was attacked pretty quickly. It seemed like a snakepit. Over time, I've jumped in and thrown a few snakes around, myself. It might seem evil... but it's actually pretty funny. Watching the interactions between people (including my own) is informative and entertaining. :D I don't think the Universe is serious, so I think it's okay to play and cross swords to cut through bullshit. And there's a certain liberating quality to speaking back into the face of the kinds of human madness that have haunted parts of my life. As a child, I had no say. Now I do. :twisted:
Sage-ish wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:07 pmI'd like to know more about your writing.
I write medieval romance (bodice-rippers). It's great fun! Creating characters and their interactions, good and bad, along with an unfolding story that keeps the reader guessing... absolutely delightful. I hope to do it full-time someday when I retire (if ever).
Sage-ish wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:07 pmI have no need to be around the ego-driven maturationally challenged.
I understand. Once in awhile it may feel good to try to lop off a few heads though. You could think of it as your contribution to the evolution/workings of the Universe. :D But there's a lot to be said for basking in peace too. I often think of leaving... so if I get kicked off, it won't be a big deal.
commonsense

Re: "may as well dance"

Post by commonsense »

AMod wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:24 am ... many here are unable or incapable of discussing a subject philosophically ... and cannot be bothered to acquaint themselves with even a modicum of knowledge about what has actually been said in Philosophy ...

AMod.
Indeed. It is important, no, necessary to study philosophy and the philosophers in order to know how to discuss something philosophically. How else can one attain an internal template, so to speak, to inform one's critical thinking? How else does one recognize philosophical thought? How else can one claim to be educated sufficiently without reference to the great minds that have come before?

On the other hand, some might say that knowledge of philosophy's history is not essential to think philosophically, i.e. that one can do philosophy as long as one can think analytically and logically. That's tantamount to liking art (doing philosophy) as opposed to appreciating art (studying philosophy and philosophers before attempting to think philosophically).

As an educator, I favor the former approach. As a corporate trainer, I'm obliged to follow the latter.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

AMod wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:56 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:36 pm You mean they could be even more up themselves? :shock:
:lol:

If I was you'd have been banned long-ago.
You should be thanking me for fixing your post (bless).
Btw, your comment makes no sense.
-1-

Post by -1- »

AMod wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:18 pm What has MickThinks got to do with this?

Still, since we're on the topic of moderation I might as well notify everyone that the 'powers that be' are going to be appointing some new moderators for some of the various categories and although I don't know them, or ever will, I suspect they will bring a different approach than the one this kind and benevolent tyrant has so far allowed. So you'll be getting reasons for why your posts have been deleted and why you've been banned, which I suspect quite a few of you will be. :lol:

AMod.
t would be nice to have a COMPREHENSIVE but not lengthy list of rules, TO WHICH THE MODS WILL STICK. I left two or three previous philosophy sites due to MOD inconsistencies and misjudgments.

A clear set of rules to which one can refer and appeal in case of a deletion is very appreciated by yours truly. I don't mind what the rules are, as long as they are applied equally and consistently, both ways: punitively, and appealingly (whereby one can appeal a decision when it's deemed wrong).

I, as a user, do not tolerate haphazard rulings and biassed or superficial judgments. Being a mod is a serious business, and I'd rather see no mod actions whatsoever (like here hitherto) than vicious, vindictive mods who are stupid and bone-headed (like on POF for instances, way back when when a Bay street hooligan was a Mod and an idiotic imbecile owned the site.)
henry quirk

consistency is the burden of man, not gods

Post by henry quirk »

yep
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

-1- wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:00 pm
AMod wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:18 pm What has MickThinks got to do with this?

Still, since we're on the topic of moderation I might as well notify everyone that the 'powers that be' are going to be appointing some new moderators for some of the various categories and although I don't know them, or ever will, I suspect they will bring a different approach than the one this kind and benevolent tyrant has so far allowed. So you'll be getting reasons for why your posts have been deleted and why you've been banned, which I suspect quite a few of you will be. :lol:

AMod.
t would be nice to have a COMPREHENSIVE but not lengthy list of rules, TO WHICH THE MODS WILL STICK. I left two or three previous philosophy sites due to MOD inconsistencies and misjudgments.

A clear set of rules to which one can refer and appeal in case of a deletion is very appreciated by yours truly. I don't mind what the rules are, as long as they are applied equally and consistently, both ways: punitively, and appealingly (whereby one can appeal a decision when it's deemed wrong).

I, as a user, do not tolerate haphazard rulings and biassed or superficial judgments. Being a mod is a serious business, and I'd rather see no mod actions whatsoever (like here hitherto) than vicious, vindictive mods who are stupid and bone-headed (like on POF for instances, way back when when a Bay street hooligan was a Mod and an idiotic imbecile owned the site.)
You want 'rules'?? How old are you? I've never seen a more polite bunch of people on any site. There are a couple of notable arseholes like Thedoc and Mickstinks, but they don't have anything interesting to say anyway. Just how 'nice' are we supposed to be to each other? How do you make 'nice' an objective rule that can't be abused? I recall PE and Hobbes being constantly banned over absolutely nothing. Rules are pointless because no one 'moderates moderators'.
AMod

Post by AMod »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:You should be thanking me for fixing your post (bless). ...
No idea what you 'fixed'?
Btw, your comment makes no sense.
Does it not? Then maybe I misunderstood as I thought you meant the new mods might be even 'more up themselves' which would imply I am and as such I just said that if I was you'd have been banned long-ago.