Missing Thread

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

AMod

Re: Missing Thread

Post by AMod »

attofishpi wrote:Hey, are you that other arsehole that plays God around these parts? :D
No, I'm the arsehole who is God around these parts.

AMod.
henry quirk

BURN!

Post by henry quirk »

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

AMod wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:15 pm
attofishpi wrote:Hey, are you that other arsehole that plays God around these parts? :D

AMod.
I'm the Devil. So if you're God delete Lacewings account. :twisted:
-1-

Post by -1- »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:49 am
AMod wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:15 pm

AMod.
I'm the Devil. So if you're God delete Lacewings account. :twisted:
I'm the Devil's advocate.

Please send payment for the legal advice delivered last Saturday, otherwise a court order will be secured to settle your outstanding debt.

I know you're the Devil, but still, DON'T MESS WITH THE LAWYERS.
henry quirk

Well, another thread got *POOFED!*, I'm sure for 'good' reasons.

Post by henry quirk »

Too bad it was one in which I made an excellent point about political proxies thinkin' they're sumthin' more than employees and how we let 'em get away with it.
Nick_A

Re: Well, another thread got *POOFED!*, I'm sure for 'good' reasons.

Post by Nick_A »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:50 am Too bad it was one in which I made an excellent point about political proxies thinkin' they're sumthin' more than employees and how we let 'em get away with it.
Remember that you are guilty. Never question the state. That is what we learned in the thread.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Nick_A wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:27 am
henry quirk wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:50 am Too bad it was one in which I made an excellent point about political proxies thinkin' they're sumthin' more than employees and how we let 'em get away with it.
Remember that you are guilty. Never question the state. That is what we learned in the thread.
That's what you learned, but do you think the lesson you're supposed to learn is to doubt your own words?

If that happened, wouldn’t that shatter the foundation of self-reliance, and then where is the only place for belief to go?

To the words of others, of course.

If aligned with purpose, that's a jolly good reason for poof.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Walker wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:43 am
Nick_A wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:27 am
That's what you learned, but do you think the lesson you're supposed to learn is to doubt your own words?

If that happened, wouldn’t that shatter the foundation of self-reliance, and then where is the only place for belief to go?

To the words of others, of course.

If aligned with purpose, that's a jolly good reason for poof.
Self reliance is an archaic concept. There is no reason for it now that we have government much smarter than a person trying to be self reliant. The government will tell you what the truth is.

Orwell explained this in 1984. When the government tells you that 2+2=5 it is insulting for a person claiming self reliance to insist the answer is 4. The saving grace is that the person claiming to be self reliant can be educated into accepting the dominance of the state and the advantages of ridding themselves of the illusion of self reliance.
AMod

Post by AMod »

Are you all deaf or something?

I told you I've had it up to here with American's sectarian political obsessions being played out upon this forum. You want your posts about American politics today to stay, then at a modicum keep them philosophical. You want to play politics go play upon a political forum.

AMod.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

AMod wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:37 am Are you all deaf or something?

I told you I've had it up to here with American's sectarian political obsessions being played out upon this forum. You want your posts about American politics today to stay, then at a modicum keep them philosophical. You want to play politics go play upon a political forum.

AMod.
But the topic is not confined to any sort of American sectarian obsession. An American ideal is the concept of innocent until proven guilty. Of course it is an ideal not restricted to an American sectarian obsession anymore than the golden rule is. Some people believe that the worldly ethical ideal is innocent until proven guilty. it seems now that around the world the majority now believe in guilt until proven innocent. It is philosophical question. I am curious from a philosophical perspective why so many prefer guilty until proven innocent. It is an essential philosophical question IMO worthy of exploration but has become politically incorrect. So be it.
henry quirk

"Are you all deaf or something?"

Post by henry quirk »

Look, we get it. You're the Big Cheese (the proxy of the BIG CHEESE) and you don't like us Americans pissin' on the forum with our little non-philo/political shenanigans.

We step over the line; you delete posts and threads: again, we get it.

But, you never said nuthin' about us havin' to like it (cuz, mostly, we don't) and you never said we couldn't bitch about it here, in this thread, in this sub-forum (cuz we're gonna).

So, unless you're formally demanding we like it, and, unless you're formally forbiddin' kvetching on this subject, in this thread, in this sub-forum, then mebbe you can climb down off our backs and leave us be, yeah?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Nick_A wrote: The government will tell you what the truth is.
And what truth is not.

What was lost in ancient Alexandria, and pograms, is incalculable.

In the fantasy that excludes these events, perhaps all diseases could have been eradicated.
AMod

Post by AMod »

Nick_A wrote:But the topic is not confined to any sort of American sectarian obsession. ...
And yet that is how it always seems to devolve into when you and others are involved. Like I've said too many times now, I'll leave threads alone if the thread starter takes some responsibility for moderating them by reporting off-topic posts, etc but if they keep turning into sectarian bun-fights with no philosophical point then they will be gone.
An American ideal is the concept of innocent until proven guilty. Of course it is an ideal not restricted to an American sectarian obsession anymore than the golden rule is. ...
You're right, the Romans were there a tad before you.
Some people believe that the worldly ethical ideal is innocent until proven guilty. it seems now that around the world the majority now believe in guilt until proven innocent. It is philosophical question. I am curious from a philosophical perspective why so many prefer guilty until proven innocent. It is an essential philosophical question IMO worthy of exploration but has become politically incorrect. So be it.
For the last time, it's got bugger all to do with political correctness and everything to do with me being bored with your current politics being played out upon a Philosophy forum.

AMod.
AMod

Re: "Are you all deaf or something?"

Post by AMod »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:41 am Look, we get it. You're the Big Cheese (the proxy of the BIG CHEESE) and you don't like us Americans pissin' on the forum with our little non-philo/political shenanigans.
If I wanted to be the top tamale you'd know about it.
Apparently not, as if I also get bored of have to do that I'll take more effective measures.
But, you never said nuthin' about us havin' to like it (cuz, mostly, we don't) and you never said we couldn't bitch about it here, in this thread, in this sub-forum (cuz we're gonna).

So, unless you're formally demanding we like it, and, unless you're formally forbiddin' kvetching on this subject, in this thread, in this sub-forum, then mebbe you can climb down off our backs and leave us be, yeah?
Since I said nothing about it I'm puzzled why you are going on about it?

I was just responding to the apparent incomprehension and misunderstanding of what I said.

AMod.
Walker

Re: "Are you all deaf or something?"

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:41 am Look, we get it. You're the Big Cheese (the proxy of the BIG CHEESE) and you don't like us Americans pissin' on the forum with our little non-philo/political shenanigans.

There is another view.

You now have the power to erase entire threads via an ally.

However, exercising such power threatens your very existence under these conditions.