Missing Thread

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

AMod

Re: Missing Thread

Post by AMod »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Perhaps you could define philosophy for us then.
No, not least because it is a vague term but like I've said you can't go far wrong as a starter for ten in checking if what you post fits the category you're putting it in.

AMod.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Umm, you deleted whole threads, not just posts.
AMod

Post by AMod »

Because I can't be arsed to go through the whole thread when I've managed to get around to reading it and it annoys me that the OP can't be bothered to make even the slightest attempt to police their thread by reporting what they consider off-topic, trolling or just plain offensive posts.

AMod.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Even when a thread only had a handful of comments, none of which were remotely 'trollish'? There are literally thousands of threads on here, many of which are completely insane, yet they remain for sometimes years. There's no rhyme nor reason.
And 'banning' isn't exactly something I lie awake at night worrying about.
AMod

Post by AMod »

If they are there then I have either missed them(please point them out and I'll delete them) or they will have a connection to the category they are in no matter how tenuous as, as a moderator, I have a wide definition and great tolerance for what could be called Philosophy and philosophical no matter that my personal philosophical opinion would have me pretty much banning everyone here and deleting all their posts.

Regarding your sleep, I'm glad you won't be losing any if, as I suspect, the new mods turn out to not be kind and benevolent tyrants like me.

AMod.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Were there pictures in the thread?

I think pictures are grounds for censorship in these conditions, unless they're presented as links and are relevant to the topic, although a few daring souls do push the envelope now and then, probably just some natural human urge to expand borders.
henry quirk

Phil, Veg,

Post by henry quirk »

You know you're wastin' time & energy, yeah?

This site is a private affair: the owner and his proxies can do as they like, for any reason they like.

No explanations should be expected, no considerations offered.

Understand: I think Amod is wrong, but my (your) assessment doesn't mean diddly.

Lobbying the powers that be is like fartin' against thunder.

So: stay and live with the capricious uncertainties or go and satisfy principle.

#

"censorship"

That's not the issue, Walker.

This site is privately owned and administered with strict boundaries. Within, the owner and proxies act with impunity; without, they ain't jack shit. There's nuthin' the owner or proxies can do to stop you or him or her from buildin' a site where you or him or her call the shots and compete overtly with the PN site.

That is: the owner and proxies can only deny you their site, but not any other. This may be wrong-headed but it ain't censoring.
Walker

Post by Walker »

I get your point, Henry.
However, once something is posted and has been removed, then that’s censorship.
There’s lots of reasons for censorship.

The reasons you mention are certainly justified. But then again, requiring another to bow to authority, even if the other is a vagrant guest enjoying a bit of light at the edge of the campfire that another has built, encourages the view of, “Whose bread I eat, his song I sing.”

Does that encourage philosphy?

These conditions here are not completely capricious.

The host and his agents have provided guidelines for the guests.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=394
Walker

Post by Walker »

For instance, some folks in the US government have been censoring a lot of information to Congress.

With his legal authority, President Trump has stepped in and removed the censorship gag from that information.

President Trump is saying, let’s cut the crap and let the truth shine.
(At least then spin will be based on a common objective reference)

Whether or not his constitutional authority is obeyed remains to be seen.

If not, then what’s he going to do about it?

Now, strictly speaking, this posting is grounds for deletion, since it doesn’t directly address the OP, and veers into politics with the larger issue of censorship, and it is not posted in the sub-forum of political philosophy.

The mod has the discretionary authority to delete the whole thread and ban me on those grounds, or any other.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

However, once something is posted and has been removed, then that’s censorship.

Well, I've always seen censoring as what a gov does (you can't say that, print that, anywhere), but that may simply be my idiosyncratic view.

#

“Whose bread I eat, his song I sing.” Does that encourage philosphy?

Nope, but the gods are crazy...what're ya gonna do?

#

If not, then what’s he going to do about it?

Fire 'em, of course.

#

The mod has the discretionary authority to delete the whole thread and ban me on those grounds, or any other.

Yep.

Let's see what happens... :wink:
Walker

Post by Walker »

I think a good lesson provided by the mod for witnesses and participants, is the highlighting of attachment to one's own brilliance and past efforts.

Now let's see what happens, taking into account that nothing happening is a happening.

:D

"Even if you lose, don't lose the lesson!"
Walker

Re:

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:11 pm However, once something is posted and has been removed, then that’s censorship.

Well, I've always seen censoring as what a gov does (you can't say that, print that, anywhere), but that may simply be my idiosyncratic view.
Oh, you're right on there.

That's another form of mind control.

For example, once singing and dancing are banned, then they may as well not even exist.

Generations may pass.

Then the outlaws emerge, to rediscover! 8)
Walker

Post by Walker »

Any thread can elevate to philosophy, even one inspired by the dearly departed (threads).

Come on now, assume as the absolute that there's nowhere to run to with silence, and like Winston Smith, you must reply.

Real truth to real power, in real time.
henry quirk

"Real truth to real power, in real time."

Post by henry quirk »

What power?

As I say: outside of PN and its forum, the owner and proxies aren't jack shit.

There's no real power to speak real truth to.

As for the 'facts': again, the owner, the proxies can do what they like 'here' (and that's limited to deletin' posts and bannin' posters [big whup]).

c'mon, folks, let's not make all this more than it is.
AMod

Post by AMod »

Dear oh dear you Americans.

It's got nothing to do with power or censorship or 'mind-control' and everything to do with posting in the correct philosophical categories and attempting to make a philosophical point rather than just loving the sound of your own opinions. It would also help if one knew at least a modicum about what Philosophy has said before posting but I think that probably a wish too far with respect to the denizens of internet forums.

AMod.