Missing Thread

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Missing Thread

Post by Walker »

AMod wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:02 pm Oh! I get what you're asking about now. So no, I'm not inclined to allow specific posts about spates between users. Keep it to PM - bearing in mind of course what I've said about those.

AMod.
p.s. and btw I don't think playing politics is about intentionally lying.
So, it’s not okay to keep trashing the United States and its president on the basis of unsupported opinion that carries not even a whiff of philosophy?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"So, it’s not okay to keep trashing the United States and its president on the basis of unsupported opinion?"

Of course it is!

You can fling poop at the U.S. and that post or thread will stand.

If you defend the U.S. that post or thread will fall.

You can fling poop at Trump and that post or thread will stand.

If you defend Trump (or criticize his predecessor) that post or thread will fall.

We're in enemy territory...always have been.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Henry, you're not supposed to say that!
henry quirk

Worse that can happen: post is deleted and/or I'm banned.

Post by henry quirk »

Big fuckin' whoop.
Nick_A

Re:

Post by Nick_A »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:15 pm "So, it’s not okay to keep trashing the United States and its president on the basis of unsupported opinion?"

Of course it is!

You can fling poop at the U.S. and that post or thread will stand.

If you defend the U.S. that post or thread will fall.

You can fling poop at Trump and that post or thread will stand.

If you defend Trump (or criticize his predecessor) that post or thread will fall.

The saving grace is that we can understand why certain topics are rejected. Take the "Alinsky Rules for Radicals thread" for example. Why can't it be discussed? It furthers techniques leading to the political philosophy called communism. Why can't it be criticized by those favoring human freedom? What prevents it?

Look at what is happening in America. The radical violent left is perpetrating crimes against innocent people so as to intimidate them. It is acceptable. Yet if a conservative tells a typical stereotyping joke you'll never hear the end of it. Why? IMO understanding why is very revealing.
FlashDangerpants

Re: Re:

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:46 pm Look at what is happening in America. The radical violent left is perpetrating crimes against innocent people so as to intimidate them. It is acceptable. Yet if a conservative tells a typical stereotyping joke you'll never hear the end of it. Why? IMO understanding why is very revealing.
Excellent work Nick, you really proved you can resist vomiting those American culture wars everywhere you write.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:20 am
Greta wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:01 am A better analogy is that the site owners and mods have held an open dinner party and hope that the guests will show some respect, as opposed to pushiness and self entitlement.
But if the open dinner party is for the purpose of discussing philosophy then to deny it is false advertising and only contributes to the degeneration of the value of philosophical ideas. That is what you don't understand as a mod.
Yet when I look at philosophy forums there's still plenty of philosophy discussed. Hardly false advertising.

However, when one calls the dinner's hostess a "liar" (amongst multiple other epithets and ad hominems) then, if one is realistic, then one might not be surprised to find that one is no longer invited to dinner.

Wouldn't one agree?
AMod

Post by AMod »

Walker wrote: So, it’s not okay to keep trashing the United States and its president on the basis of unsupported opinion that carries not even a whiff of philosophy?
By and large the only people who are doing this are Americans and the only people who actually keep posting about America are Americans as you appear to have an inncessent need to compare yourselves to others. Over time I have allowed your compatriots to post many derogatory statements about other countries, it depends where it is posted but what I'm specifically bored with is Americans fighting their current political battles upon this forum. As I've now said too many times now, if you want to fight your politics out online go to a politics forum.

AMod.
AMod

Re:

Post by AMod »

henry quirk wrote:...

:roll:

AMod.
AMod

Post by AMod »

Nick_A wrote:The saving grace is that we can understand why certain topics are rejected. Take the "Alinsky Rules for Radicals thread" for example. Why can't it be discussed? It furthers techniques leading to the political philosophy called communism. Why can't it be criticized by those favoring human freedom? What prevents it?
Nothing prevents it but as soon as it falls into Americans arguing their politics then it'll be gone. It would also be useful if you didn't start it with a mischaracterization.
Look at what is happening in America. The radical violent left is perpetrating crimes against innocent people so as to intimidate them. It is acceptable. Yet if a conservative tells a typical stereotyping joke you'll never hear the end of it. Why? IMO understanding why is very revealing.
Take it up on an American politics forum then.

AMod.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:18 am
Greta wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:01 am A better analogy is that the site owners and mods have held an open dinner party and hope that the guests will show some respect, as opposed to pushiness and self entitlement.
But if the open dinner party is for the purpose of discussing philosophy then to deny it is false advertising and only contributes to the degeneration of the value of philosophical ideas. That is what you don't understand as a mod.
Yet when I look at philosophy forums there's still plenty of philosophy discussed. Hardly false advertising.

However, when one calls the dinner's hostess a "liar" (amongst multiple other epithets and ad hominems) then, if one is realistic, then one might not be surprised to find that one is no longer invited to dinner.

Wouldn't one agree?
No, you are a liar. What you've said about me isn't true. Your trouble is you equate the purpose of philosophy with political philosophy. You think your attacks on Trump and the great ideas given to the world by those like Plato are philosophical. They are not and you have no idea why.

IMO it is an important distinction those like you oppose. That is why I will start a thread on the difference for those still open to the distinction. The sad part is that those like you will never understand it. Blind denial will prevent it and only serve the degeneration of philosophy.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

AMod wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:29 am
Nick_A wrote:The saving grace is that we can understand why certain topics are rejected. Take the "Alinsky Rules for Radicals thread" for example. Why can't it be discussed? It furthers techniques leading to the political philosophy called communism. Why can't it be criticized by those favoring human freedom? What prevents it?
Nothing prevents it but as soon as it falls into Americans arguing their politics then it'll be gone. It would also be useful if you didn't start it with a mischaracterization.
Take it up on an American politics forum then.

AMod.

Political Philosophy
How should society be organised, if at all?
In all fairness the heading for the Political Philosophy board should be changed to read.

Excluding the American constitution and the ideal of freedom, how should society be organized if at all?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:14 pm
Nick_A wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:46 pm Look at what is happening in America. The radical violent left is perpetrating crimes against innocent people so as to intimidate them. It is acceptable. Yet if a conservative tells a typical stereotyping joke you'll never hear the end of it. Why? IMO understanding why is very revealing.
Excellent work Nick, you really proved you can resist vomiting those American culture wars everywhere you write.
Why be superficial? An open minded person with an interest in philosophy sees a basic contradiction spawned by hypocrisy. The philosophic mind as opposed to the indoctrinated seeks to understand the big picture - the why of it as it relates to the human condition. The indoctrinated person is only concerned with the duality of their agenda.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:43 am
Greta wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:18 am

Wouldn't one agree?
No, you are a liar. What you've said about me isn't true. Your trouble is you equate the purpose of philosophy with political philosophy. You think your attacks on Trump and the great ideas given to the world by those like Plato are philosophical. They are not and you have no idea why.

IMO it is an important distinction those like you oppose. That is why I will start a thread on the difference for those still open to the distinction. The sad part is that those like you will never understand it. Blind denial will prevent it and only serve the degeneration of philosophy.
Thank you for making clear why you will never be invited back, just in case anyone wasn't already aware.

Bye! Have fun with your American politics and anti science agendas.
AMod

Post by AMod »

Nick_A wrote:
Political Philosophy
How should society be organised, if at all?
In all fairness the heading for the Political Philosophy board should be changed to read.

Excluding the American constitution and the ideal of freedom, how should society be organized if at all?
Are you really trying to piss me off?

You are welcome to discuss the philosophical consequences of written and unwritten constitutions using the American constitution as an example. You are welcome to discuss the philosophical consequences of the American constitution and the ideal of freedom as it has been applied to your society or could be applied to another's society. In fact you are welcome to discuss any philosophical aspect of your constitution but what you are not welcome to do is use your political interpretation of it to play politics with your countrymen on this forum. As in all fairness you should be doing this on a politics forum and preferably an American one.

AMod.