Genealogy

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Genealogy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:23 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:29 pmDo you think it's safe to have your DNA profile in the hand of the mormons, and did you know that they use your genealogy information to 'induct' your dead ancestors into the mormon faith?
Huh? Mormons?
I've seen it on some ancestral records. I wondered about the reference to an 'induction' date and asked someone about it. Before the internet you could go to the mormons and get information from them (for most countries), so it would have been from a while ago, when someone else was researching their genealogy through the mormons. I'm not sure if they still do it (how would anyone know?).
I don't think that having your DNA in the hands of giant corporations is a particularly good idea either.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

You make a point about the corporations, but if the mormon stuff is true, why should I care if they cast some hocus-pocus on my dead ancestors?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:55 am You make a point about the corporations, but if the mormon stuff is true, why should I care if they cast some hocus-pocus on my dead ancestors?
:lol: I don't care either, but some people believe in hocus pocus. The bigger worry is the personal information industry.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:29 pm Anyone here caught the genealogy bug? It seems as if everyone I talk to has joined an internet genealogy site, or had their DNA 'profile' done.
I sent my spit to 23 and me. I was surprised to learn that I have a higher than average likelihood of Tourette’s than most fuckheads.
Jangle

Post by Jangle »

I didn't know that the genealogy sites had anything to do with Mormons. I haven't done a DNA taste but I've fooled around on Ancestry.com a bit. I haven't found anything disappointing so far. I've only done my dad's side so far. I found out that we're related to one of the founders of the Commonwealth of Connecticut. More interestingly, I have an ancestor who got kicked out of the Quaker community for brandishing a gun while he was drunk. Finally, I could also be a part of DAR if I ever chose to do so.