The supernatural

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Re: The supernatural

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Greta wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:18 amLiving in Australia, the above is like reading a sci fi story about some remote future society :lol:
Don't they have medical weed over there? I mean that's what it is here in my state, although the laws are loose enough that, really, anyone could get it.

I had imagined that most other countries which have a form of legal marijuana, would have a similar (or even more liberal) system in place.
I can only speak of my peak experiences. The first one I'd been clean for years and it was in Hyde Park while on my lunch break. How do I know it was not just a cool, trippy mental event? Because of its effect on me - that afterwards I was thinking with rare clarity and the solution to every problem that had been dogging me over previous years either became clear, or I could see was clearly not realistic. That is, it was highly grounding, as was the second peak experience. They were weird too - not like the usual inspirations I'm familiar with as a musician and wannbe writer.
I don't doubt that highly psychoactive drugs can allow to person to have a personal revelation - I thought I covered that already. Obviously, I believe that. The problem starts when you think you can begin making scientific claims about the universe. Like the idea that there are fractal elves running everything.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:21 am
Greta wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:18 amLiving in Australia, the above is like reading a sci fi story about some remote future society :lol:
Don't they have medical weed over there? I mean that's what it is here in my state, although the laws are loose enough that, really, anyone could get it.

I had imagined that most other countries which have a form of legal marijuana, would have a similar (or much more liberal) system in place.
I think you have to have specific conditions like epilepsy or be dying of cancer etc before you can be prescribed.

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote:
I can only speak of my peak experiences. The first one I'd been clean for years and it was in Hyde Park while on my lunch break. How do I know it was not just a cool, trippy mental event? Because of its effect on me - that afterwards I was thinking with rare clarity and the solution to every problem that had been dogging me over previous years either became clear, or I could see was clearly not realistic. That is, it was highly grounding, as was the second peak experience. They were weird too - not like the usual inspirations I'm familiar with as a musician and wannbe writer.
I don't doubt that highly psychoactive drugs can allow to person to have a personal revelation - I thought I covered that already. Obviously, I believe that. The problem starts when you think you can begin making scientific claims about the universe. Like the idea that there are fractal elves running everything.
I think that sometimes one can simply gain insights into how things work without knowledge. I am reminded of Giordano Bruno who was imprisoned, tortured and eventually murdered by the ruling Church for the blasphemy of his insight - that the universe was not a dome of stars around the Earth, but boundless. No science background, just a realisation.

The issue then is reliability. All manner of inductive insights are possible, but many will simply be mental affects. So we must use judgement is assessing any claims made, and also considering the concepts a person is trying to put across rather treating the metaphorical as literal - and vice versa - common mistakes from each of the religio-political fence.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Greta wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:36 amI think you have to have specific conditions like epilepsy or be dying of cancer etc before you can be prescribed.
Oh, I gotcha. Well, hopefully when they open it up for anxiety/depression, you guys will be able to swim in the stuff. That's really when the floodgates opened.
I think that sometimes one can simply gain insights into how things work without knowledge. I am reminded of Giordano Bruno who was imprisoned, tortured and eventually murdered by the ruling Church for the blasphemy of his insight - that the universe was not a dome of stars around the Earth, but boundless. No science background, just a realisation.

The issue then is reliability. All manner of inductive insights are possible, but many will simply be mental affects. So we must use judgement is assessing any claims made, and also considering the concepts a person is trying to put across rather treating the metaphorical as literal - and vice versa - common mistakes from each of the religio-political fence.
I see what you're saying, but I was really just talking about the Mckenna type who do translate their experience on a drug like DMT in the most literal way imaginable.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

I'm not big on the term 'supernatural' but since I had one this morning that most would consider ..is.. i'll mention it.

Quite often over the years, and this very morning, I awoke to someone massaging my feet! This has happened many times when I am ALONE..spooky!!

Admittedly I don't think I am fully awake, but I am fully lucid. And sometimes I can ask the hands to do a little more! :oops:

...oh well, all in the name of philosophy.