Prejudiced lightning

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Prejudiced lightning

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Men are five times more likely to be struck by lightning than women (I believe this stat pertains to the US).

Why?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
QuantumT

Re: Prejudiced lightning

Post by QuantumT »

Perhaps because men are taller...? :shock:
Philosophy Explorer

QuantumT wrote: โ†‘Sat May 26, 2018 2:58 pm Perhaps because men are taller...? :shock:
The internet says it's because men are recreational, but I don't buy that explanation. At a game, you may have men on the field, but you have their wives and girlfriends in the stands e.g. out in the open. AccuWeather Channel on tv said the ratio is 5:1, the internet says the figure is 82% going back as far as 1968.

Again I ask why?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat May 26, 2018 1:51 pm Men are five times more likely to be struck by lightning than women (I believe this stat pertains to the US).

Why?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Because we are made in the image of Odin and Zeus...the gods of lighting...jk.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: โ†‘Sat May 26, 2018 3:54 pm Because we are made in the image of Odin and Zeus...the gods of lighting...jk.
Odin?! WTF! Hasn't DC Comics taught you anything? :mrgreen:
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

They play more Golf.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:The internet says it's because men are recreational, but I don't buy that explanation. At a game, you may have men on the field, but you have their wives and girlfriends in the stands e.g. out in the open. AccuWeather Channel on tv said the ratio is 5:1, the internet says the figure is 82% going back as far as 1968.

Again I ask why?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Did you stop to consider that recreational might mean more than playing in a stadium?
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote: โ†‘Sun May 27, 2018 7:00 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote:The internet says it's because men are recreational, but I don't buy that explanation. At a game, you may have men on the field, but you have their wives and girlfriends in the stands e.g. out in the open. AccuWeather Channel on tv said the ratio is 5:1, the internet says the figure is 82% going back as far as 1968.

Again I ask why?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Did you stop to consider that recreational might mean more than playing in a stadium?
Drug taking???

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Drug taking???

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
No, that the reason you gave for not believing the explantion you goggled was based upon the false idea that the bulk of recreational sports played by men are done in stadiums with an audience of wives and girlfriends.
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote: โ†‘Sun May 27, 2018 7:15 pm
Drug taking???

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
No, that the reason you gave for not believing the explantion you goggled was based upon the false idea that the bulk of recreational sports played by men are done in stadiums with an audience of wives and girlfriends.
Now that I understand what you mean, I've considered other possibilities. You still haven't given a possible explanation as to why men are far more likely to get struck by lightning.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun May 27, 2018 8:30 pm
Arising_uk wrote: โ†‘Sun May 27, 2018 7:15 pm
Drug taking???

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Now that I understand what you mean, I've considered other possibilities. You still haven't given a possible explanation as to why men are far more likely to get struck by lightning.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
He did. He said 'golf'. It seems to me that waving a metal rod around might attract a passing bolt of lightning.
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘Sun May 27, 2018 8:45 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun May 27, 2018 8:30 pm
Arising_uk wrote: โ†‘Sun May 27, 2018 7:15 pm No, that the reason you gave for not believing the explantion you goggled was based upon the false idea that the bulk of recreational sports played by men are done in stadiums with an audience of wives and girlfriends.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
He did. He said 'golf'. It seems to me that waving a metal rod around might attract a passing bolt of lightning.
I've seen both men's and women's tournaments. I thought she was joking. In any case, there's much more outdoor activities than golf. For example shopping (which I believe women do more of than men).

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Noax

Post by Noax »

Arising_uk wrote: โ†‘Sun May 27, 2018 7:15 pm was based upon the false idea that the bulk of recreational sports played by men are done in stadiums with an audience of wives and girlfriends
In stormy weather no less.
Lost count of how many players I've seen lost to lightning that way, leaving the widow behind sitting on their metal bleachers...

Fishing comes to mind. Best fishing is done in the rain. Aluminum row boat added to casting wet conductive lines to the sky.
Philosophy Explorer

Noax wrote: โ†‘Sun May 27, 2018 8:59 pm
Arising_uk wrote: โ†‘Sun May 27, 2018 7:15 pm was based upon the false idea that the bulk of recreational sports played by men are done in stadiums with an audience of wives and girlfriends
In stormy weather no less.
Lost count of how many players I've seen lost to lightning that way, leaving the widow behind sitting on their metal bleachers...
Wouldn't metal bleachers attract lightning and fricasee the women and children too?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Now that I understand what you mean, I've considered other possibilities. You still haven't given a possible explanation as to why men are far more likely to get struck by lightning.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Because in the US they're five times more likely to be out and about in their recreational pursuits? As I'm pretty sure the stat doesn't mean that if you put a man and a women together in a lightning storm a man is more likely to be hit by lightning than a women but if he is then in this situation I'd look to height as being an answer but if they lay-down - which is the recommended course of action if caught in a lightning storm - I'd make the oddds even.