Prejudiced lightning

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Re: Prejudiced lightning

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Arising_uk wrote: โ†‘Sun May 27, 2018 11:27 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Now that I understand what you mean, I've considered other possibilities. You still haven't given a possible explanation as to why men are far more likely to get struck by lightning.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Because in the US they're five times more likely to be out and about in their recreational pursuits? As I'm pretty sure the stat doesn't mean that if you put a man and a women together in a lightning storm a man is more likely to be hit by lightning than a women but if he is then in this situation I'd look to height as being an answer but if they lay-down - which is the recommended course of action if caught in a lightning storm - I'd make the oddds even.
Except that a man isn't 4 to 5 times higher than a woman, just a few inches so I reject this explanation.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Philosophy Explorer

It was suggested from the internet that recreation is the answer and it was further suggested here that golf and fishing would lead to that situation. However an activity such as shopping would be far more common than fishing and golf combined.

Maybe something in men attracts lightning (but what?)
This is the type of question that should be posted on Quora for a discussion. I'm letting it go as I don't think it can be answered here so I won't follow it any further here.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

BTW Arising, besides height, you overlooked weight, but that doesn't explain either.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Except that a man isn't 4 to 5 times higher than a woman, just a few inches so I reject this explanation.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Pardon!? Are you seriously saying that you believe a stat that says men in the US are five times more likely to be hit by lightning than women actually applies to single people. I can see why you don't believe the obvious explanation that due to certain types of recreational activities(and jobs for that matter) men are five times more likely to be out and about in thunderstorms in the US.

As to the above, it wouldn't matter if it was a centimetre as lightning would choose the shorter route to ground.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Mon May 28, 2018 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Mon May 28, 2018 12:48 am It was suggested from the internet that recreation is the answer and it was further suggested here that golf and fishing would lead to that situation. However an activity such as shopping would be far more common than fishing and golf combined. โ€ฆ
Are you mental!? There are buildings when you are shopping which in a thunderstorm area will most likely have lightning rods attached, plus the women apparently have more sense than the men in the US and would be inside of them.
Given this discussion in the US it appears to be a lack of male brain-power.
This is the type of question that should be posted on Quora for a discussion. I'm letting it go as I don't think it can be answered here so I won't follow it any further here. โ€ฆ
Any Quora you post this on will be having a right laugh but maybe not on a US one given the evidence so far.
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

BTW Arising, besides height, you overlooked weight, but that doesn't explain either.
There's nothing to explain!! You already had the explanation when you goggled it but for some inane reason you've not understood it.
Noax

Post by Noax »

Arising_uk wrote: โ†‘Mon May 28, 2018 1:45 amAre you mental!?
You're just now picking up on that? He didn't notice the sarcasm here for instance:
PhilX wrote:Wouldn't metal bleachers attract lightning and fricasee the women and children too?
Fishing and repair of power lines are two activities often done in poor weather, and both make for extreme unprotected lightning targets, and both are probably more than 80% performed by males. This is a wild guess on my part. The stat says 'struck' and not necessarily killed. I would think that the power line guys would wear protection of a sort given the danger. Golf is bad as well, and lots of injuries/fatalities from sheltering under a lone tree, almost the worst place to hide.

I was caught in a flash storm while in a metal canoe, and we had to choose between death by lightning or hypothermia. We chose the former, but at least had the sense to hug the shore of the wide river all the way.
My nearest strike (not the canoe day) was about 9 meters away. More loud than anything else. Didn't feel that one, but I felt another one.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Noax wrote: โ†‘Mon May 28, 2018 2:40 am
Arising_uk wrote: โ†‘Mon May 28, 2018 1:45 amAre you mental!?
You're just now picking up on that? He didn't notice the sarcasm here for instance:
PhilX wrote:Wouldn't metal bleachers attract lightning and fricasee the women and children too?
Fishing and repair of power lines are two activities often done in poor weather, and both make for extreme unprotected lightning targets, and both are probably more than 80% performed by males. This is a wild guess on my part. The stat says 'struck' and not necessarily killed. I would think that the power line guys would wear protection of a sort given the danger. Golf is bad as well, and lots of injuries/fatalities from sheltering under a lone tree, almost the worst place to hide.

I was caught in a flash storm while in a metal canoe, and we had to choose between death by lightning or hypothermia. We chose the former, but at least had the sense to hug the shore of the wide river all the way.
My nearest strike (not the canoe day) was about 9 meters away. More loud than anything else. Didn't feel that one, but I felt another one.
Next time you're out in that canoe carry a 1 iron.

Lee Treveno said that not even God can hit a 1 iron.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat May 26, 2018 1:51 pm Men are five times more likely to be struck by lightning than women (I believe this stat pertains to the US).

Why?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Penises. That's why African men are ten times more likely than any other men to be hit by the bolt.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat May 26, 2018 1:51 pm Men are five times more likely to be struck by lightning than women (I believe this stat pertains to the US).

Why?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
...because they get kicked-out more often? :oops:
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Why?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
The answer is obvious!... It is because men are more sinful.
Philosophy Explorer

Arising_uk wrote: โ†‘Mon May 28, 2018 1:45 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Mon May 28, 2018 12:48 am It was suggested from the internet that recreation is the answer and it was further suggested here that golf and fishing would lead to that situation. However an activity such as shopping would be far more common than fishing and golf combined. โ€ฆ
Are you mental!? There are buildings when you are shopping which in a thunderstorm area will most likely have lightning rods attached, plus the women apparently have more sense than the men in the US and would be inside of them.
Given this discussion in the US it appears to be a lack of male brain-power.
This is the type of question that should be posted on Quora for a discussion. I'm letting it go as I don't think it can be answered here so I won't follow it any further here. โ€ฆ
Any Quora you post this on will be having a right laugh but maybe not on a US one given the evidence so far.
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

There's nothing to explain!! You already had the explanation when you goggled it but for some inane reason you've not understood it.
Arising posted this ad hom:

"Are you mental!? There are buildings when you are shopping which in a thunderstorm area will most likely have lightning rods attached, plus the women apparently have more sense than the men in the US and would be inside of them." You don't know what you're talking about. I was shopping by a mall when a thunderstorm struck (I stayed inside). The storm struck a McDonalds across the street, which was near taller office buildings, setting it on fire. Those lightning rods did McDonalds a world of good, didn't they Arising? Oh, and those women allegedly having more sense than the men shows how desperate you are in trying to win an argument and how prejudiced you are towards men as you can't find a study to support your pathetic argument. You lost this argument Arising.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Philosophy Explorer

Here's a good question for you all. It's been advised not to stand under a tree during a thunderstorm so how far should you be from a tree? Because if you're standing far enough, wouldn't that make you a new target of lightning?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
-1-

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Tue May 29, 2018 1:10 pm Here's a good question for you all. It's been advised not to stand under a tree during a thunderstorm so how far should you be from a tree? Because if you're standing far enough, wouldn't that make you a new target of lightning?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
3.2857E-12 Lightyears. Give or take.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sat May 26, 2018 3:32 pm
QuantumT wrote: โ†‘Sat May 26, 2018 2:58 pm Perhaps because men are taller...? :shock:
The internet says it's because men are recreational, but I don't buy that explanation. At a game, you may have men on the field, but you have their wives and girlfriends in the stands e.g. out in the open.

Again I ask why?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Because men don't leave home home only their wives and their girlfriends when they go to play a game of golf, or racketball, or fishing. They take along also their lovers, bedded women, backstreet girls, concubines, harlets, scarlet women, and cocottes, one night stands and FBBs. Otherwise the entire exercise ain't worth shit.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Arising posted this ad hom: โ€ฆ
When will 'Yanks' like you learn to stop using "ad hominem" until you understand what it means?

An ad hominem would have been "PhilEx is mental so his argument is invalid". What I said is more towards an insult "You are mental because your argument is a complete misunderstanding of the facts of Physics" but in fact I was asking a question "Are you mental? As your argument is based upon a complete misunderstanding of the facts of Physics."
You don't know what you're talking about. I was shopping by a mall when a thunderstorm struck (I stayed inside). The storm struck a McDonalds across the street, which was near taller office buildings, setting it on fire. Those lightning rods did McDonalds a world of good, didn't they Arising? โ€ฆ
Thanks for proving you are mental, as you have actually proved my point that lightning would hit buildings and not shoppers.
Oh, and those women allegedly having more sense than the men shows how desperate you are in trying to win an argument and how prejudiced you are towards men as you can't find a study to support your pathetic argument. โ€ฆ
:lol: You prove the old adage "A sense of humour in Britain is obligatory, in the US its optional."
You lost this argument Arising.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
There is no argument numbnuts!! There's just you not understanding statistics and how they apply to the world.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Tue May 29, 2018 1:10 pm Here's a good question for you all. It's been advised not to stand under a tree during a thunderstorm so how far should you be from a tree? Because if you're standing far enough, wouldn't that make you a new target of lightning?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
:lol: I thought you said lightning conductors don't work, so what difference would it make in your pea-brain opinion?

I'm beginning to believe the poster who suggested that you are one who visits websites named "100 interesting questions to ask people".