Beauty and Brains in Chess

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Beauty and Brains in Chess

Post by Walker »

Like life it’s loaded with metaphors, isn’t it. The king is the weakest yet he shapes all the strategy. Unlike the king, the lowly pawn can become the strongest weapon. The court (cabinet) protects the king but sometimes a wild god, a creator of thought and motion, will sacrifice its entire court to give the weakest opponent no exit.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Walker wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:18 am Like life it’s loaded with metaphors, isn’t it. The king is the weakest yet he shapes all the strategy. Unlike the king, the lowly pawn can become the strongest weapon. The court (cabinet) protects the king but sometimes a wild god, a creator of thought and motion, will sacrifice its entire court to give the weakest opponent no exit.
Chess is inspiring too many politically incorrect opinions like inspiring racist conflict between black and white forces. Even now experts are discussing new improved sensitivity chess to replace chess that we love.

Read this. You'll love it. Just don't laugh or you'll be accused of many things ending in ist. Enjoy. :)

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/fun-wi ... rect-chess
Walker

Post by Walker »

That’s funny.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1008361
Moves 34-41 are brutal.
Even I can see the doom at that point.
Byrne probably couldn’t bring himself to resign to a 13 year-old.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Walker wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:49 am That’s funny.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1008361
Moves 34-41 are brutal.
Even I can see the doom at that point.
Byrne probably couldn’t bring himself to resign to a 13 year-old.
I've read that just before Fisher made the initial move of his combination, spectators believed Byrne had the better position. I've often wondered who would have won a match between Bobby Fisher and Paul Morphy both in their prime.

Why is it that these great minds are so often mentally unbalanced? Is a great mind like Dr. Emanuel Lasker a peer of Einstein and also world champion normal or abnormal for chess genius? Is Paul Morphy's talent described here a potential for evolved Man. Chess does raise its questions.
Morphy set sail for Paris, where he won a “blindfold” tournament: He sat in one room of the Café de la Regence while his eight opponents sat in another. The opponents had the chess boards, along with several other players who could give them advice; Morphy simply faced a bare wall and called out his moves in loud, clear, flawless French. He played for 10 hours, with no food or drink, and beat them all. “He was shaken by the hand and complimented till he hung down his head in confusion,” the New York Times reported. “Such a mind never did exist, and, perhaps, never will again.”
Walker

Post by Walker »

That is a great story! A real-life mentat. The thing is, once the computers are walking and talking they will pity our admiration, if we’re lucky.

Walter Tevis wrote The Queen’s Gambit, a fictional story about a chess grand master from childhood to mastery. At first she is awed by her mentors and then she surpasses them, one by one. So she has to deal with that, psychologically. Personal problems, family life, developing into life with a chess mind, learning about emotions, the tournament life, winning money. It’s a quick read but there’s no scenes like the real genius described above. Tevis was writing psychological fiction and probably thought reality would be too over the top.

Like Trump!

I sensed the turn in the game above, when black took advantage. And how about that series of checks with the knight when instead of laying waste the little genius set things up, then afterwards casually picked off that poor knight (er, make that a rook) down in white territory. It was casual and natural and a little frightening, like the memory of a hot, quiet summer day, sitting outside and watching one of the many cats play with a mouse it had caught, until the mouse was staggering and exhausted, like all those white pieces disappearing so quickly.

btw: I can't figure out the code for strikeout. I'd rather strikeout all the on-line edits rather than delete them. Know the code?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Walker wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:55 pm That is a great story! A real-life mentat. The thing is, once the computers are walking and talking they will pity our admiration, if we’re lucky.

Walter Tevis wrote The Queen’s Gambit, a fictional story about a chess grand master from childhood to mastery. At first she is awed by her mentors and then she surpasses them, one by one. So she has to deal with that, psychologically. Personal problems, family life, developing into life with a chess mind, learning about emotions, the tournament life, winning money. It’s a quick read but there’s no scenes like the real genius described above. Tevis was writing psychological fiction and probably thought reality would be too over the top.

Like Trump!

I sensed the turn in the game above, when black took advantage. And how about that series of checks with the knight when instead of laying waste the little genius set things up, then afterwards casually picked off that poor knight (er, make that a rook) down in white territory. It was casual and natural and a little frightening, like the memory of a hot, quiet summer day, sitting outside and watching one of the many cats play with a mouse it had caught, until the mouse was staggering and exhausted, like all those white pieces disappearing so quickly.

btw: I can't figure out the code for strikeout. I'd rather strikeout all the on-line edits rather than delete them. Know the code?
You've lost me here. What about Donald Trump leads you to associate him with the tactics of the chess mind?

As an aside, how's this for a chess poster?

http://www.chess-poster.com/english/history/caissa.htm
Walker

Post by Walker »

N: You've lost me here. What about Donald Trump leads you to associate him with the tactics of the chess mind?

W: Truth is sometimes more unbelievable than fiction.

Your example of Morphy is more unbelievable than fiction.
Tevis didn’t give his player such unbelievable powers.

Trump's election and perseverance wouldn’t be believed in fiction.

Half the country doesn't believe it in reality.

N: As an aside, how's this for a chess poster?

W: It's a good balance for focused aggression.