How many asperger/autism sufferers we got in-forum?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

How many asperger/autism sufferers we got in-forum?

Post by henry quirk »

I suspect there's quite a few.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: How many asperger/autism sufferers we got in-forum?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Are you thinking of starting a support group?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:52 pm I suspect there's quite a few.
In the general population there would be 1 / 68 or about 107 of the members here, but how many members have autism?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Yep, diagnosed ADHD about 20 years ago in middle age and almost certainly Aspergers too. Solitary, nerdy, arty, always restless, almost always uncomfortable or in pain, poor impulse control, various deficits, blah blah. That aspect is boring to me now - one must logically be configured one way or another and the cards fall as they. There is no good reason for it but I like being the way I am, even though I am aware of numerous areas of relative dysfunction. I suppose it's a matter of what one becomes used to :)

I see much connection between my AS bizzo and my somewhat obsessive interest in existentialist matters, which drove me from meatspace to online to find others with similar interests. I would also guess that there's a fair few AS people on philosophy and science forums, based on some of the extreme nerdiness and, at times, social skills that make me look like Miss Manners.
vegetariantaxidermy

I knew an Aspergers guy who was normal and functioning, but he would fart non-stop and stink out your house (I think he had a bad diet--lots of canned stuff). Needless to say no one ever invited him back. Very brainy and a prize-winning concert pianist.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:05 am I knew an Aspergers guy who was normal and functioning, but he would fart non-stop and stink out your house (I think he had a bad diet--lots of canned stuff). Needless to say no one ever invited him back. Very brainy and a prize-winning concert pianist.
As a solid state, Determinism exists in timeless non-duality.
Infinite potentiality.

As a fluid state, Determinism exists in time.
Subject/object duality.

As a gaseous state, Determinism is heaven or hell.
Obviously it didn't bother him at all.
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:12 am

Clearly not. It bothered me though, especially when it took hours with all the windows open to clear the stench.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:15 am
Walker wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:12 am

Clearly not. It bothered me though, especially when it took hours with all the windows open to clear the stench.
Sounds like a tune I once heard ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AKF8Iupox4
-1-

Post by -1- »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:15 am ...it took hours with all the windows open to clear the stench.
I visited my friend one day, who was more Assburger-ish than I. I said, "Frank, this place smells like a bunch of stale farts." Frank replied, looking surprized, "Oh? I keep letting out fresh ones."

I am an Aspie, and an Autist, big time. I think all great philosophers were, but there are aspies who are not philosophers (it explains me.) This is actually a natural extension of Aspergers. With its mystic value-creation between self and reality ("What the heck is this reality shit, anyway???"), and with its complete rendering of the sufferer to a non-understanding person, trains the mind to constantly search out meaning and to constantly work on making sense of others, of reactions, of the world. Bang, a philosopher is born.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Walker wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:20 am
Sounds like a tune I once heard ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AKF8Iupox4
I wrote a novel, back 20-30 years ago, titled "Out Of The Clear Black" (a complete critical and popular failure... even my own grandmother said it sucked), where the main character's, the hero's, name was Little Fart. It was playing out, the first part of the book, in the wilderness, with cavemen. Before ritualistic coming of age, they gave ugly names to children, lest evil spirits snatched them away. No evil spirit in his right mind would want to own an otherwise cute kid, whose name is Fart.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:09 am Yep, diagnosed ADHD about 20 years ago in middle age and almost certainly Aspergers too. Solitary, nerdy, arty, always restless, almost always uncomfortable or in pain, poor impulse control, various deficits, blah blah. That aspect is boring to me now - one must logically be configured one way or another and the cards fall as they. There is no good reason for it but I like being the way I am, even though I am aware of numerous areas of relative dysfunction. I suppose it's a matter of what one becomes used to :)

I see much connection between my AS bizzo and my somewhat obsessive interest in existentialist matters, which drove me from meatspace to online to find others with similar interests. I would also guess that there's a fair few AS people on philosophy and science forums, based on some of the extreme nerdiness and, at times, social skills that make me look like Miss Manners.
I don’t know much about it.

It sounds like a broad diagnosis.

Is it measured by specific variances, after some threshold of degree, from some imagined perfect state of consciousness?
Greta

Post by Greta »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:05 amI knew an Aspergers guy who was normal and functioning, but he would fart non-stop and stink out your house (I think he had a bad diet--lots of canned stuff). Needless to say no one ever invited him back. Very brainy and a prize-winning concert pianist.
This looks like co-mordity - AS and IBS.

At this juncture would like to separate myself from the above image :) ... I usually eat healthy food and do not fart non-stop (unless that healthy food includes undercooked chick peas or lentils). Keith Jarrett used to famously grunt regularly during his concerts, almost like an odd accompaniment at times. The mind boggles when considering the incidental playing noises of the AS fellow you knew, Veg :lol:

So the reason I don't get invited back is due to lack of small talk rather than large emissions.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Walker wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:39 am
Greta wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:09 am Yep, diagnosed ADHD about 20 years ago in middle age and almost certainly Aspergers too. Solitary, nerdy, arty, always restless, almost always uncomfortable or in pain, poor impulse control, various deficits, blah blah. That aspect is boring to me now - one must logically be configured one way or another and the cards fall as they. There is no good reason for it but I like being the way I am, even though I am aware of numerous areas of relative dysfunction. I suppose it's a matter of what one becomes used to :)

I don’t know much about it.

It sounds like a broad diagnosis.

Is it measured by specific variances, after some threshold of degree, from some imagined perfect state of consciousness?
Think of a Bell Curve plotting the consistency of attention.

The hump in the middle has those with a fairly usual consistency - neither remarkable nor poor. At one end are those whose consistency and control of focus is outstanding - maybe pilots and air traffic controllers, surgeons, barristers etc, who must perform at the highest possible level, focusing intently and effectively for sustained periods at any time that's required. At the other end of the Bull Curve are those whose attention is so inconsistent that they are dysfunctional.

However, also around the lower end of the plot are highly functional types with an element of "savant" about them - including many scientists, programmers, writers, artists, mathematicians and philosophers. When these people are inspired their focus is extreme (perhaps as described above, or more) but they can either be dysfunctional in areas outside of their main capacities and interests, or they cannot control their focus. That is, they cannot focus on demand. So, unlike the former group, they are mainly only productive when the focus is there. Consistency and control are the differences.

This is all a matter of degree, noting that a high functioning Aspie on a good day can seem less autistic than a regular person who happens to be in an odd mood. So it's a matter of how much and for how long, rather than a black and white determination. That is why diagnoses tend to come from a patient's admitted inability to cope with their functional issues than the actual characteristics themselves.
vegetariantaxidermy

Greta wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:44 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:05 amI knew an Aspergers guy who was normal and functioning, but he would fart non-stop and stink out your house (I think he had a bad diet--lots of canned stuff). Needless to say no one ever invited him back. Very brainy and a prize-winning concert pianist.

At this juncture would like to separate myself from the above image :) ... I usually eat healthy food and do not fart non-stop (unless that healthy food includes undercooked chick peas or lentils). Keith Jarrett used to famously grunt regularly during his concerts, almost like an odd accompaniment at times. The mind boggles when considering the incidental playing noises of the AS fellow you knew, Veg :lol:

So the reason I don't get invited back is due to lack of small talk rather than large emissions.
:lol: :lol:
Well they always seem to be really brainy anyway, if deficient in 'social intelligence'.
Greta

Post by Greta »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:58 am
Greta wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:44 am

:lol: :lol:
Well they always seem to be really brainy anyway, if deficient in 'social intelligence'.
It looks like swings and roundabouts to me - like how the other senses of blind people are especially sharp or the way paraplegics develop powerful arms. Yet there are some sickening types who are beautiful, brilliant, creative, decent, high achieving, athletic and so on, so I am not sure what happened to the swings there :D