"Now this drifter's world goes round and round
And I doubt if it's ever gonna stop
But of all the dreams I've lost or found
And all that I ain't got
I still need somebody I can cling to
Somebody I can sing to....."

Dave Loggins

David Loggins: “I wish I could make songs like Rita McNeil”
(It's actually my ars poetica... and I ain't David Loggins.)

The singer’s words will cling on empty
He sings and he can’t shut up.
His story’s round and round and round
‘Cause it’s all he’s ever got.

He needs to be heard, he needs it dearly
He needs a person who’d listen, really,
He needs a clinger just like Hitler
Coz he, too, 'za hitless wonder,
Nature’s freak, ‘im’s rhymeless, bitter.
Arising_uk

Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote:...
Why you wanna piss on my cornflakes?
Because apparently I'm paying for 'em.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

You subscribe?

Me:I buy offa the rack.

Surely some small portion of what I spend goes to the forum upkeep.

But, if it doesn't...thank you (sucker).
Arising_uk

Re: Flat Earth Society

Post by Arising_uk »

Well if you buy the mag then I guess that makes you a sucker too as the mag is the only source of revenue to support this forum and I suspect most here are freeloaders. Personally I hope the management sees sense soon and makes it only available to subscribers but understand that this can be a tricky process to manage and maybe not worth the effort but it'd get rid of fair chunk of interweebles here and if it doesn't at least they'll have to contribute towards their nonsense. Barring that and given some of the language here there could be a major tightening of the lax moderation approach as it does give a very bad impression of the magazine and is not exactly great publicity.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:20 pmBarring that and given some of the language here there could be a major tightening of the lax moderation approach as it does give a very bad impression of the magazine and is not exactly great publicity.
It's not always easy. The ad hominems can be straightforward enough but it's hard to prevent people from repeatedly preaching their over-certain assertions that are unresponsive to criticism. I see much less of this on science forums.

Like pointless fighting, those who preach The Answer on a loop will impact on the reputation of a site and philosophy in general, given the current claims that it's all just "talking nonsense". It would be nice not to give the critics so much ammunition but philosophy is so broad and speculative that it will necessarily attract all sorts.
Walker

Post by Walker »

By now y’all should be used to outsiders whose only claim is need.

Cloistering is understandable in the need for order and labeling.
Brits are known for a low chaos tolerance.
For example, chaotic India was always a bit off-putting.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote: Brits are known for a low chaos tolerance.
For example, chaotic India was always a bit off-putting.
:lol:
If nearly 200 years is low tolerance then Americans must have ADHD as you can't last a decade in your meddling.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Shirley you have that modicum of self-awareness.

Smiling a lot indicates fear, confidence, or vacancy.
The eyes tell the tale.

What do you think it means to never smile?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote:...

It means you are a miserable git.

Nearly 200 years is not intolerance of chaos but destroy everything and leave chaos behind you within 10 years is a child with ADHD temper tantrums.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:47 pm
It's not always easy. The ad hominems can be straightforward enough but it's hard to prevent people from repeatedly preaching their over-certain assertions that are unresponsive to criticism. I see much less of this on science forums.

Like pointless fighting, those who preach The Answer on a loop will impact on the reputation of a site and philosophy in general, given the current claims that it's all just "talking nonsense". It would be nice not to give the critics so much ammunition but philosophy is so broad and speculative that it will necessarily attract all sorts.
Aye, aye, captain.

The crazies are screaming at us that we are crazy.

Not listening to reason is definitely not philosophy.

The site has been impacted by the theologically over-zealous intelligentsia. We are overwhelmed by religious demagogues, and that is affecting the population distribution on this site. I mean, that many a good philosopher has been turned away by the immovable sermon-pewing crowd.

I am only staying because I am otherwise incredibly bored.

RIP, Philosophy Now Phorum.

Ite missa est.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Arising_uk wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:13 pm
Walker wrote:...

It means you are a miserable git.
Well, the value judgment is your own.
It could mean someone doesn't git it.
Or, it could mean there are much heavier thoughts weighing down perception.
Arising_uk wrote:Nearly 200 years is not intolerance of chaos but destroy everything and leave chaos behind you within 10 years is a child with ADHD temper tantrums.
Not sure what you mean, but always up for a rational discussion of intelligent observations and questions.

Rephrase?
Walker

Post by Walker »

-1- wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:25 am
Greta wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:47 pm

Aye, aye, captain.

The crazies are screaming at us that we are crazy.

Not listening to reason is definitely not philosophy.

The site has been impacted by the theologically over-zealous intelligentsia. We are overwhelmed by religious demagogues, and that is affecting the population distribution on this site. I mean, that many a good philosopher has been turned away by the immovable sermon-pewing crowd.

I am only staying because I am otherwise incredibly bored.

RIP, Philosophy Now Phorum.

Ite missa est.
If it doesn't fit, you musta quit.

Feel free to steal it.
It's pretty good.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Walker wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:41 am If it doesn't fit, you musta quit.

Feel free to steal it.
It's pretty good.
Why would I want to quit? You should instead go to a forum of a religious-minded people's board, and jerk each other off there, wallowing in your love of your god.

Oo, boy, you religion-mongers and god-worshippers would LOVE it if I quit. Maybe that is one more reason why I am sticking around.

You see, you worshippers destroyed a once functional and completely philosophical board. You attempted to take it over, and succeeded so far in making it dysfunctional.

I have the right therefore not to let you wallow in the love of your shitty god on this forum, unfettered and unchecked. You destroy my toy, I don't let you play with yours.

The Whip of god.
Walker

Post by Walker »

-1- wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:42 am
Walker wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:41 am If it doesn't fit, you musta quit.

Feel free to steal it.
It's pretty good.
Why would I want to quit? You should instead go to a forum of a religious-minded people's board, and jerk each other off there, wallowing in your love of your god.

Oo, boy, you religion-mongers and god-worshippers would LOVE it if I quit. Maybe that is one more reason why I am sticking around.

You see, you worshippers destroyed a once functional and completely philosophical board. You attempted to take it over, and succeeded so far in making it dysfunctional.

I have the right therefore not to let you wallow in the love of your shitty god on this forum, unfettered and unchecked. You destroy my toy, I don't let you play with yours.

The Whip of god.
Why would I want to quit?
- Asking another person why you should quit is a sheep move.
- That you assume another is requesting that you be a sheep is an indication of your conditioning.
- Poor little fella.
- The meaning of the phrase is, if your concepts don’t fit reality, then you must have quit trying to make them fit, or like the Juice, you never tried to make them fit.

A: Yes Walker, I do see the play on words musta quit, and as a writer I will agree with you, that is pretty good, and if I had an ounce of unselfishness in my heart, I’d squeeze a coin of appreciation out of the clutches of whatever tight sphincter holds back appreciation for what doesn’t point to myself.

:)

You should instead go to a forum of a religious-minded people's board,
- Me? Why should I do that when you are far less rational and far more entertaining when displaying thuggish intellectual impotence.

and jerk each other off there,
- That is the comment of a crude and ignorant thug.
- The observation is not a feeling.
- It's not an arbitrary judgment.
- That it is now commonplace is merely the 50 thousand fly justification.
- It's A Sign Of The Times, Petula Clark.

wallowing in your love of your god.
- My love?
- My God?
- wallow? What are you, a pig?
- You assume much, while evidencing little understanding.

Oo, boy, you religion-mongers and god-worshippers would LOVE it if I quit.
- Why?
- Are you something special?
- Something to fear?
- Do you consider yourself to be the blinding of truth?
- Haven’t seen it so far.
- No sirree Bob, not by a long shot boy howdie, no way.
- laughing out loud, as we’ve learned to say on the alter of the newspeak, (but really just smiling at my own cleverness.)

Maybe that is one more reason why I am sticking around.
- Why not. You weren’t doing anything anyway, were you.
- Besides, nothing is going to touch that carapace of manifested assumptions.
- No one really cares what you do. Truly.
- After all, it’s not like you’re President Trump, or have the capacity to ever be.
- People are too wrapped up in themselves.
- Your comments are evidence.
- Once you understand this you are free.
- Free of rat-finks who would burn your words, and other intellectual clinging.

You see, you worshippers destroyed a once functional and completely philosophical board.
- Something so easily destroyed must be weak indeed.
- Everybody worships, and everybody serves somebody.
- That is the principle, and it is truth.
- The What is merely the specific.
- You look at the specific, not the principle.
- That makes you more gossip than philosopher.

- You yourself worship.
- That the specific What of your worship goes unstated or unrecognized by you does not negate that aspect of humanness that you are.

You attempted to take it over, and succeeded so far in making it dysfunctional.
- Your stupidity of assumption is getting old.
- The tune sucks.

I have the right therefore not to let you wallow in the love of your shitty god on this forum,
- You have the right to be an ignorant, self-admitted bore.
- That doesn’t mean you must constantly avail yourself of that right.
- Try exercising some self-awareness and self-control to relieve yourself of the habit.
- Even if your self-improvement mountain is high, remember the journey begins with one step.

unfettered and unchecked.
- In the USA, the greatest country on the face of the earth, a cop has a license to fetter and check the citizenry.
- Philosophy doesn’t have cops.
- School is out.
- You are just a partial totalitarian, not yet total in your desire (which is really your need) to control others.

- As such, you may censor, deflect, destroy words, lie, smear, slander, misdirect, misrepresent, and be a dick all you want.
- You know why?
- Because when you do it you’re the only one doing it, and it identifies your ignorance like a beacon.
- Fortunately, the words of religious people on this forum don’t follow your wallow lead.
- This is because, if your road has led you there to where you are, being a person like that, then what is the worth of your path?

You destroy my toy,
- That’s just it.
- To you, truth is a toy.
- To be played with, manipulated, and disrespected.

I don't let you play with yours.
- When I became a man, I put way childish ways of thinking.

Or however it goes.

The Whip of god.
- To intelligent, rational people, sounds more like bloody ego bleating to be big.

Come on back now and let's see if you got more than shit in that mouth.

:lol:

Now just let me save this before some pussy cries for a trigger ... there we go ... and we now

Submit

:wink:
-1-

Post by -1- »

Walker, you went ballistic. When you get back from orbit, wipe your nose and say your prayer.