What's your philosophical quirk?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

-1-

What's your philosophical quirk?

Post by -1- »

WE all have a quirk here on this board. A philosophical quirk. Or a personality quirk. Or a quirk.

There are two types of quirks: One you recognize in yourself as a quirk, and one you take deadly seriously, and others recognize instantly that it's your own quirk.

If we made this thread to speak of your own quirk, and to speak of other's quirks, then it would end in a flame war.

Therefore I ask you to speak only of your own private theories. Speak of two theories: one that you know is strange, and another one, that you take deadly seriously, but find a HUGE opposition to it by others, and almost with no exception (i.e. almost everyone opposes it), although you are convinced you are right.

It is forbidden to talk about others' quirks in this thread. Not even to the extent of saying "Yepp, that's you" or "I agree" or "I disagree".

This is a confessional, not a gluttoning for punishment. Punishment is strictly forbidden in this thread, other than self-criticism and self-punishment.

I think we can exclude some topics:

-- God belief (but not exclude specific qualities of God)

-- Evolution (but not if you have a specific detail or feature of it that is uniquely your own version, and you strongly believe it is true, though not mainline at all)

---------------------------
OP always goes first.

My quirks:

My strong belief is in determinism. Despite some evidence from QM theory. I am emotionally committed to determinism.

My strong belief that most of the people (except for two) on this forum have quirks.

My strong belief that there is no evidence of a god or gods, and therefore scriptures are man-made make-beliefs, and talking about god(s)'s quality, motivation or properties, are futile.

My heavy-handed approach to arguing. Over-use of sarcasm and cutting remarks.
Impenitent

Re: What's your philosophical quirk?

Post by Impenitent »

quirks are fun...

I'm a radical skeptic except for the indisputable metaphysical necessity of the Purple Wombats on Jupiter which control everything...

but I can doubt that as well

-Imp
henry quirk

As a Quirk, I'm nuthin' but 'quirks'.

Post by henry quirk »

"Two theories: one that you know is strange..."

Experience tells me I choose, I decide, I bend existing causal chains, I initiate causal chains. I don't deny or reject cause and effect, but cause and effect can't be the whole of the story.

I'm an agent in the world, not an event.

#

"...and another one, that you take deadly seriously, but find a HUGE opposition to it by others, and almost with no exception (i.e. almost everyone opposes it), although you are convinced you are right."

Extending directly from what I wrote above: I own me. I'm beholden to others only to the degree I choose to be. Call me libertarian or anarchist or bastid (personally, I'd like it if you just called me Henry), but don't call me 'communitarian'.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Although I truly invest myself in the interactions here, I don’t think I take any of it very seriously, as that would contradict what I think... :-)

I feel compelled to question what we think we know... and to challenge any claims of supreme/ultimate truth or knowing. This seems to irritate people who treasure certain ideas (and their identity attached to those ideas) -- and perhaps especially people on a philosophy forum who are seeking to claim having the ultimate philosophy. The resulting interactions make me laugh.

From my perspective... Being static (in any way) is the opposite of what most are claiming it to be: it is limitation and weakness/atrophy -– it is not ever-expanding power/capability. It is contrived and controlled for the comfort of the ego -- it is not courageous and open-eyed. It is continually noisy -- it does not hear and see beyond its own noise. It doesn’t make sense to me that anything would be or should be static, as all in nature appears to be moving and continually evolving energy. So, I find it compelling and entertaining to question ideas that may be limited and contrived to serve ourselves.

AT THE SAME TIME, I can remind myself to feel love for it all. It’s all just ENERGY moving around. I do not feel compelled by an ultimate mission/destination/justification of some sort. This may be confusing for some people.

My remarks can be sharp at times –- I see it as part of the dance! I’m on a stage with others, acting out crazy crap. Sometimes I use profanity for emphasis. These are my quirks.
commonsense

My philosophical quirks

Post by commonsense »

I know I have quirks about Cauliflower, Toilet Paper and Spare Tires.

However, whenever I post about combos I am fervently in belief about what I write. There are plenty of other options in rural areas and gated communities. Then again, if apartments are your thing you could still buy a combo.

Happy April Fools Day! :lol:
Serendipper

Post by Serendipper »

I just say "just" too much. :?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

It's for people to say something intelligent and relevant which very wide and far between!
Atla

Post by Atla »

I strongly believe that people who haven't been thoroughly shocked by Quantum Mechanics and then spent months or years trying to figure out what the hell that could mean, are no longer relevant in deep philosophy. Times have changed. :)

Oh and I also believe that philosophy gets pretty boring pretty fast anyway. I also don't get the spiritually addicted types. So boring. We have video games and anime now, those are a lot more fun. :)
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Philosophy. God. Reason. Madness. Life. Death. Pleasure. Pain. Love. Hate. Boredom. Ecstacy. Logic. Math. Space. Time.
What it means to be Human. What is means to be an animal. How to be noble and virtuous. How to be a dirty savage.

This can be summated under one Word: Women.
Walker

Post by Walker »

:lol:

Censorship as a means to a pre-determined philosophical end.

More like a bug-a-boo.

(If you can remember, invisible principles can be read in actions, under certain conditions.)

For instance: It’s cool. Everybody squeals. It’s the threshold that counts.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:26 pm WE all have a quirk here on this board. A philosophical quirk. Or a personality quirk. Or a quirk.

There are two types of quirks: One you recognize in yourself as a quirk, and one you take deadly seriously, and others recognize instantly that it's your own quirk.

If we made this thread to speak of your own quirk, and to speak of other's quirks, then it would end in a flame war.

Therefore I ask you to speak only of your own private theories. Speak of two theories: one that you know is strange, and another one, that you take deadly seriously, but find a HUGE opposition to it by others, and almost with no exception (i.e. almost everyone opposes it), although you are convinced you are right.

It is forbidden to talk about others' quirks in this thread. Not even to the extent of saying "Yepp, that's you" or "I agree" or "I disagree".

This is a confessional, not a gluttoning for punishment. Punishment is strictly forbidden in this thread, other than self-criticism and self-punishment.

I think we can exclude some topics:

-- God belief (but not exclude specific qualities of God)

-- Evolution (but not if you have a specific detail or feature of it that is uniquely your own version, and you strongly believe it is true, though not mainline at all)

---------------------------
OP always goes first.

My quirks:

My strong belief is in determinism. Despite some evidence from QM theory. I am emotionally committed to determinism.

My strong belief that most of the people (except for two) on this forum have quirks.

My strong belief that there is no evidence of a god or gods, and therefore scriptures are man-made make-beliefs, and talking about god(s)'s quality, motivation or properties, are futile.

My heavy-handed approach to arguing. Over-use of sarcasm and cutting remarks.

nice thought provoking thread. i like it!

.................setting aside my subsconious......which as a self actualized person (knowing myself as much as i've managed to date - so still humble and now "knowing myself" is a lifelong stuggle and to date only partially know myself (the outside me of my subconsious - though i know some of it throught yrs of struggle - still do not now even 1/2 of it so cannot answer your inquary in fully honesty - only in my conscious honesty).

which i shall now do so.

My quark is iconoclasm - I'm a crusader, a don quixoti(sp)................fight battles out of my principles though i know i know i cant win.

had, will soon have again a "pirate radio" station for those within 2 mile radius to hear music/oldtime radiodramas - which thanks to consolidated media ownership refuses listeners to "Disscover" via their crap radio station playlists.

As for "others mocking" - plenty mock me for my refusal to have a smartphone. I use paper maps when travelling in my car and have no interest in being tracked by google via a phone nor being connect to the net all the time.

i'm fine being mocked by my sister and coworkers for not having a smartphone. when driving i put in an MP3-CD and listen to my own CD encoded to MP3 via CDex per my desktop PC via my bought CD encoded to mps and burned via IMGburn.

5 albums per CD - 320 bit rate and without restriction of m3 files (just say no to Apple's restrictions/walled garden).

I also say no to "steam" (I value OWNERSHIP - not rentalship).

GOG (good old games) is ok though, their downloads are identical to the old CD's and unrestricted (you OWNED the download). so you own the game you paid for.

good thread, look forward to replies to
Greta

Post by Greta »

I try to be logical and enjoy brainstorming but others see us more clearly in some ways than we see ourselves, so to them these might be relatively minor attributes.

A more interesting and potentially problematic question would be to ask people about the philosophical quirks of others on the forum :)
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

...trying to avoid most of its quirkiness which sometimes seems tantamount to avoiding philosophy altogether
-1-

Post by -1- »

Dubious wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:55 am ...trying to avoid most of its quirkiness which sometimes seems tantamount to avoiding philosophy altogether
Check!!
Greta wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:55 am I try to be logical and enjoy brainstorming but others see us more clearly in some ways than we see ourselves, so to them these might be relatively minor attributes.

A more interesting and potentially problematic question would be to ask people about the philosophical quirks of others on the forum :)
Philosophy:

What to one mind is the absolute truth, to someone other's mind a quirk, to a third mind a folly, and which to yet a fourth person is nothing but some degenerate opinion, is taught in schools to young minds as absolute truth.
Greta

Post by Greta »

-1- wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:20 pm
Greta wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:55 am I try to be logical and enjoy brainstorming but others see us more clearly in some ways than we see ourselves, so to them these might be relatively minor attributes.

Philosophy:

What to one mind is the absolute truth, to someone other's mind a quirk, to a third mind a folly, and which to yet a fourth person is nothing but some degenerate opinion, is taught in schools to young minds as absolute truth.
You've got to teach the sprogs something, my man! It's our cultural transmission and bodies of knowledge that separates us from other apes. Fashions as to what is taught come and go.