African split

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

African split

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Africa is splitting up into two continents (won't happen overnight). The new rift occurred in Kenya.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
thedoc

Re: African split

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:35 am Africa is splitting up into two continents (won't happen overnight). The new rift occurred in Kenya.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
The Rift Valley has been opening up for Millions of years, new in geological time but not in human time.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

thedoc wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:05 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:35 am Africa is splitting up into two continents (won't happen overnight). The new rift occurred in Kenya.

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
The Rift Valley has been opening up for Millions of years, new in geological time but not in human time.
The part of the article that really impressed me is the rift was previously unknown and popped up out of nowhere which implies to me it may not take millions of years to break apart.

PhilX
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:09 pm

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
The part of the article that really impressed me is the rift was previously unknown and popped up out of nowhere which implies to me it may not take millions of years to break apart.

PhilX
There have been new rifts opening up since the Rift Valley started forming millions of years ago, this new rift is just one of many that have formed in the past. I live in the Appalachian mountains and originally they were as high as the Himalayan mountains but were eroded to a flat plain and then uplift and erosion formed the mountains we have today.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
(won't happen overnight), is probably the biggest understatement on this forum.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

thedoc wrote: โ†‘Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:32 pm

PhilX
There have been new rifts opening up since the Rift Valley started forming millions of years ago, this new rift is just one of many that have formed in the past. I live in the Appalachian mountains and originally they were as high as the Himalayan mountains but were eroded to a flat plain and then uplift and erosion formed the mountains we have today.
The original Appalachian mountains were formed when Africa and North America were pushed together about 335 million years ago, that process also formed the Anti-Atlas mountains in Northern Africa. This was the formation of the super continent of Pangaea that broke apart 175 million years ago.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

PhilX ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

PhilX
At some point in the future (probably a few hundred thousand or a few million years) the rift valley will flood and become a sea probably connected the the Mediterranean Sea and the Indian Ocean.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

An expedition to map the fissure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt6Dp3nXM7Y
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

thedoc wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:29 pm

PhilX
At some point in the future (probably a few hundred thousand or a few million years) the rift valley will flood and become a sea probably connected the the Mediterranean Sea and the Indian Ocean.
Correction, according to the map the northern end of the new sea will be at the Gulf of Aden.