FACECROOK

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: FACECROOK

Post by commonsense »

Science Fan wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:03 am Commonsense: Talk about completely missing the point. My point was that the government can learn a great deal about you without having to listen in on the actual content of your phone calls... For example, one volunteer in a three-week period, contacted a home improvement store, locksmiths, a hydroponics dealer and a head shop. Is it hard to conclude that this volunteer is a home marijuana grower?

Add a call to an oncologist and we're back to our earlier example about cancer. My intended point--you may have missed it--was that content can be misjudged, however not that metadata isn't at all valuable, especially for predicting data (or content in this case). I believe the expression used in the early days of computing was GIGO, which, in this case, is a reminder that assumptions are merely assumptions.

Science Fan wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:03 am A great deal can be learned from such data, and Stanford has the evidence to prove it.
I agree totally.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I understand implied & expressed consent. Legally, Facebook, along with all other web sites that have us check the AGREED box is legally off the hook.

I look forward to the day where individuals such as ourselves have some sort of parameter that would legally create a fence around us where we could benefit from the information that we now willingly supply for free.

This is the information age. We should be able to benefit, more in ways that we can profit from other than just being able to obtain access to sites that give content.

There is already a cryptocurrency, the Basic Attention Token BAT that actually pays individuals for viewing certain participating websites. This is a start.

....................................................Image

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: I understand implied & expressed consent. Legally, Facebook, along with all other web sites that have us check the AGREED box is legally off the hook.

I look forward to the day where individuals such as ourselves have some sort of parameter that would legally create a fence around us where we could benefit from the information that we now willingly supply for free.
That horse well and truly bolted with HTML rather than Ted Nelson's Hypertext/Xanadu concept became the predominant model.
This is the information age. We should be able to benefit, more in ways that we can profit from other than just being able to obtain access to sites that give content.
The EU will be implementing data protection laws to assist in at least curtailing the profiteering of one's information. And the US may do what they did with telecoms and free the patents that the big three hold which stops others implementing systems that may make it possible to be paid automatically for others using your information.
There is already a cryptocurrency, the Basic Attention Token BAT that actually pays individuals for viewing certain participating websites. This is a start.
No its not, that's just another advertising model, basically click-through.You really have no idea about the things you yak about do you.

Block-chain technology could be useful in tracking who is using your data but I'm not sure how as it is not really a data storage model.
....................................................Image
:lol: You'd better hope a new system doesn't come in as you're one of the worst abusers of using others creative output for free.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Basic Attention Token radically improves the efficiency of digital advertising by creating a new token that can be exchanged between publishers, advertisers, and users. It all happens on the Ethereum blockchain.

The token can be used to obtain a variety of advertising and attention-based services on the Brave platform. The utility of the token is based on user attention, which simply means a person’s focused mental engagement.

...so, there's that...

Watch the vid

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:...so, there's that... [/size]
No there isn't any 'that', you really live up to your claim that you don't have the attention span to be bothered to understand what you attempt to yak about.

BAT is an advertising revenue model and it has nothing to do with the harvesting of one's personal data for profit by third parties. It does seem like a useful service and could well revolutionise digital advertising and might well be worth a punt as a crypto-investment so I wish it well but in essence it's more like a discount coupon to entice users to visit although this is a pretty bad analogy I'll admit and will stick with the idea that it's a really advanced form of click-through.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

BAT is an advertising revenue model and it has nothing to do with the harvesting of one's personal data for profit by third parties.

Yes, I agree with that statement. I was using BAT as an emerging solution to what we are exposed to in the Facebook model.

You must have misunderstood an earlier post of mine.

We're saying the same thing.

*Good to see you are experimenting with larger fonts. Baby steps - but it's a start! DON'T BE AFRAID!!!

..................................................................Image

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:Yes, I agree with that statement. I was using BAT as an emerging solution to what we are exposed to in the Facebook model.

You must have misunderstood an earlier post of mine.

We're saying the same thing.
No we aren't. The BAT token is associated with the Brave browser and it is the browser that makes the BAT an attractive investment, if it takes off that is. The problem it is addressing is the browser based advertising model which won't affect the Wastebook model as their ads are within their app and not related to the browser itself and the main issue there is with the user data which users give consent for them to harvest., so you allow Wastebook to access your content, images, etc which they the sell on for big data applications to work with. You really need to stopping digging your ignorance hole.
*Good to see you are experimenting with larger fonts. Baby steps - but it's a start! DON'T BE AFRAID!!![/size]
As if I think fonts add import to my words. :roll: My browser/forum is just picking up your fonts in the quoting system and I can't be bothered to amend them.
..................................................................Image
:lol: You going to be paying the creator of this image? You better hope they don't come up with a way to stop such theft as you'll go broke.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

never joined.

amazon has knows enough about me ;-/.

nor am a Twit or instascammer or snapshitter.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:28 am
If this wakes people up to the stupidity of agreeing to give others your information for free and thinking that social media has been created as a public good rather than for profit then all to the good.
indeed and amen.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:21 am Out of all of the main social medias, I have a particular hatred of facebook. Back when I had one, it was just instant regret every time I logged in to check something. Instant regret. And yet I kept doing it. Just.. everything about it is so cancerous. All the soccer mom cringe, the people who run the site, the content (that's mostly stolen from other sites) on it. It's definitely designed in a way that's good at sucking you in, but you know it's ultimately going to be bad for you. Like a bag of puffy cheetos.

Other social medias such as snapchat and instagram are like this, but to a much lesser extent. I do like twitter, probably because I mostly use it to just keep an eye on my investments, and it makes that very convenient. I think Pinterest is pretty neat too, it's actually a good place to gain inspiration rather than have it drained away.
never understood the appeal of social media myself.....seemed to be narcissistic to me.

glad you no longer partake in Fcfuk, but as you prob know "you can never really leave" - like the mafia - your data will remain with them even though you "left".

per Pinterest - i find myself ending up there via at least 25 times now in the last 3 years wishing to be able to view the picts only "Walled off" for not being a member. i've resisted joining and moved on each time.

its a challenge each and every time. but i pay to be on the "net" i'll be damned if i have to "join" any site morso just to view picts for fk em.

it of course "join" amazon (and allow them to steal my data and sell it to others - and get their paper junk mail and email trash too - in order to allow me to buy stuff on amazon) same with ebay.

I'll be damned if i give more of myself than i already have just to be on the net.

I value the 90's net..........the one of freedom to view and learn via in the spirit of wikipedia/etc (and forums like this place -which are slowly dyign out sadly) without "joining" a wall off garden.

but thats just me - to many no longer value the Spirit of the "old net" the one of the Wild West, and like sheepe wilingly allow it to become a walled off garden of 3-5 sites of "members"

fk that!
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Science Fan wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:41 pm If one lives in the USA, then one should be aware that the federal government keeps track of every cell phone call you make. The number you call from is recorded, as well as the number you call to, and the time of the conversation is also recorded. The government can also track where your phone is, so if you are, for example, in a hotel room with a mistress, who also has her cell phone with her, the federal government knows about this event. And if you think not recording the content of a conversation does not reveal much information, think again. Call an oncologist, and the government may know you have cancer.
actually its corporation Alphabet "Google" in the above not "the government"........said corp them gives info to gov when talked into it.

glad i don't have a cellphone.

for they do track all movement of the phone, for its never "off".

Science Fan wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:41 pm If you read e-books, and let's say you use a kindle, and while reading the book, you underline certain portions --- Google keeps track of the portions you underline.
I don't have a Kindle, its proprietary, and correct with the above.

and why when i need to read a work online, i find it on Gutenburg Project or this similar in audio form via Librivox.

Science Fan wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:41 pm There is a great deal of personal information that we each day give away to large companies and governments, with most of us being oblivious to this going on. This is a great way to lose one's freedom, and certainly one's privacy. Facebook is one part of the problem, but it is certainly not the only villain.
yep.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Internet Archive is a great site in the spirit of the original net of the 90's - physically based in The Presidio.

many now forgotten gems are over there on that site.

esp old TV shows movies and radiodramas.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

BTW thanks to the vote in Congre$$ 5 months ago, now ISPs (if you are an American) can sell your "history" via browsing of the net.

and soon Shit Pie and his henchmen will with the soon to be removed Net Neutrality will be able to sell more of your data to our beloved corps.

along with data caps and paid prioritization and balkanization of the net as we once knew it.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Arising_uk wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:34 am
Bill Wiltrack wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:25 pm ..."It's like a bank that just gave bank robbers all your money - because that's their business model."
- Stephen Colbert -
Host - The Late Show
No it's not like that at all. It's like a company that gives you a free service on the condition that it can make money from the information that you freely agree to give to them and which then uses a chunk of that money to keep offering new services to you for 'free'. People really need to read the agreements they sign up to. If this means people wake up to the stupidity of thinking that things are free in the digital world all the better but I doubt they will as the 'free service' model is here to stay in the minds of many as people just love a free lunch. Take this forum, how many here subscribe to the PN mag which is what pays for this forum, pretty much no-one is my guess.
yep. hell this forum (how to they finance their forum?) may sell my membership to advertizers.

as the other forum im a member of "motorized bicycles".

i joined both without investigating the "eula" of either forum.