Problem accessing the PN site.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

seeds

Problem accessing the PN site.

Post by seeds »

_______

I wasn’t sure where to post this, so I chose the lounge forum.

Over the last three nights, for approximately 8 hours starting at around 6:00 PM and ending at around 2:00 AM (US Eastern Standard Time), no matter what links I click on to reach the site (Google/or my saved favorites links), nothing works.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Is this a not so subtle hint to the yank members (or maybe it’s just for me :)).
_______
Noax

Re: Problem accessing the PN site.

Post by Noax »

Yes, I noticed this, but I hadn't gone through the trouble to pin down the hours of unavalability.
seeds wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:39 am Is this a not so subtle hint to the yank members (or maybe it’s just for me :)).
There is a test for that you know. If new posts show up during the period in question, then it is indeed just for a limited subset of members.

Maybe they have an automaton that goes through and rates the quality of your posts, and sets the site availibility based on that.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

This has been happening at night for the past three days with this website. I would have blamed it on maintenance, but three days in a row? I believe this website is being updated with new features.

PhilX 🇺🇸
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Yeah, I have the same problem...always end up with a 'server stopped responding' message.
Philosophy Explorer

Today instead of working at night, work was done during the day.

Does anyone else think it's rude that management isn't telling the users what's going on and how much longer this will last?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

I just assumed it was the Illuminati at work.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Yes, it was the Illuminati.

Actually no, we didn't spot the problem, partly because the site happened to be going down during the night (UK time). Then our webmaster Bora spotted the very useful posts in this thread, describing the problem. Then the site went down again for a couple of hours today, during which time he managed to get to the bottom of the problem, and fix it. At least, the fix seems to be working so far. It was a server issue. Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, and fingers crossed that the problem remains fixed!
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Illuminati ...

at least it wasn't the Spanish Inquisition

-Imp
seeds

Post by seeds »

RickLewis wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:46 pm Yes, it was the Illuminati.

Actually no, we didn't spot the problem, partly because the site happened to be going down during the night (UK time). Then our webmaster Bora spotted the very useful posts in this thread, describing the problem. Then the site went down again for a couple of hours today, during which time he managed to get to the bottom of the problem, and fix it. At least, the fix seems to be working so far. It was a server issue. Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, and fingers crossed that the problem remains fixed!
Thanks for clearing things up for us, Rick.

I think this would be a good time to remind all of the members of the forum that we are all guests here, and that the owners of this site are providing us with a free outlet to express ourselves.

In other words, they (the admins) are not obligated to explain themselves to us (though it is greatly appreciated when they do).

Anyway, on behalf of all of us (if that's okay with the gang for me to say such a thing), I would like to take this moment to thank Rick and his team for their efforts in keeping this portion of the site up and running for us motley crew of mental misfits.
_______
Philosophy Explorer

seeds wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:44 am
RickLewis wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:46 pm Yes, it was the Illuminati.

Thanks for clearing things up for us, Rick.

I think this would be a good time to remind all of the members of the forum that we are all guests here, and that the owners of this site are providing us with a free outlet to express ourselves.

In other words, they (the admins) are not obligated to explain themselves to us (though it is greatly appreciated when they do).

Anyway, on behalf of all of us (if that's okay with the gang for me to say such a thing), I would like to take this moment to thank Rick and his team for their efforts in keeping this portion of the site up and running for us motley crew of mental misfits.
_______
I disagree about the obligation portion.

"Guests" are entitled to an explanation since we're invited to partake in the forum. Other guests of services (e.g. free tv) do receive explanations through customer service when the picture goes wrong. The service may be free to us (while accessing the internet normally isn't free), but who's to say if PN derives income indirectly

Thanks Rick for getting back to us with an explanation.

PhilX 🇺🇸