Why ask unanswerable questions?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Why ask unanswerable questions?

Post by commonsense »

Is this what philosophy means to you--unanswerable questions? Is it worthwhile to search for a truth that cannot be found? How can we know that a question is unanswerable or that a truth cannot be found? How would we even know we arrived upon a definitive answer if there were one? Or is it merely that some questions have no final answer? Once begun, can inquiry ever end?
Greta

Re: Why ask unanswerable questions?

Post by Greta »

I don't think there is an answer to the question you ask, CS.

'Tis but one more of life's mysteries to keep us either perpetually amused or amusingly perplexed.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:30 am Is this what philosophy means to you--unanswerable questions? Is it worthwhile to search for a truth that cannot be found? How can we know that a question is unanswerable or that a truth cannot be found? How would we even know we arrived upon a definitive answer if there were one? Or is it merely that some questions have no final answer? Once begun, can inquiry ever end?
I find such questions stimulating and what seems unanswerable may, in reality, be answerable.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Philosophy it turns out is less about truth than our perceptions or simulacrum of it. It's like attempting to look into a truth mirror which only reflects distortions to a greater or lessor degree. Confusion causes complexity...or should that be convexity.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:17 am
commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:30 am Is this what philosophy means to you--unanswerable questions? Is it worthwhile to search for a truth that cannot be found? How can we know that a question is unanswerable or that a truth cannot be found? How would we even know we arrived upon a definitive answer if there were one? Or is it merely that some questions have no final answer? Once begun, can inquiry ever end?
I find such questions stimulating and what seems unanswerable may, in reality, be answerable.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Except if you don't like the answer you might try to claim that it isn't a real answer and thus it is an unanswerable question.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

thedoc wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:27 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:17 am

PhilX 🇺🇸
Except if you don't like the answer you might try to claim that it isn't a real answer and thus it is an unanswerable question.
Up to the individual I suppose.

PhilX 🇺🇸
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Knowledge increases over time and so what may be unanswerable now may not be so in the future
Some questions are truly unanswerable but whether they are known to be or not is something else