What is a "real" job?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Re: What is a "real" job?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

commonsense wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:12 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:15 pm
commonsense wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:00 pm Yes, but surely you mean something other than all jobs that aren't marketing positions. Really, what are you referencing?
Jobs that don't serve a useful purpose to the jobholder and are hard to make a living from with poor/no benefits.
PhilX 🇺🇸
It is very interesting that you said "useful purpose to the jobholder because there are many jobs that have no purpose at all for the worker other than trading his time for their money. There's always a useful purpose to the employer, or they wouldn't pay anything for it. In that regard, low paying unreal jobs show how little the employer really respects the worker, making it even more dissatisfying for the worker and therefore not a real job that someone would want to have. The part about not being able to make a living goes along with the whole idea of a job being unreal. Do you have personal experience in this regard?
Plenty of experience from the sales industry. In telemarketing I've had a few customers rudely tell me to get a real job e.g. Multi-level jobs are often regarded in this manner if you do an internet study (check Primerica for example).

PhilX 🇺🇸
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:27 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Jobs that don't serve a useful purpose to the jobholder and are hard to make a living from with poor/no benefits.
PhilX 🇺🇸
It is very interesting that you said "useful purpose to the jobholder because there are many jobs that have no purpose at all for the worker other than trading his time for their money. There's always a useful purpose to the employer, or they wouldn't pay anything for it. In that regard, low paying unreal jobs show how little the employer really respects the worker, making it even more dissatisfying for the worker and therefore not a real job that someone would want to have. The part about not being able to make a living goes along with the whole idea of a job being unreal. Do you have personal experience in this regard?
Plenty of experience from the sales industry. In telemarketing I've had a few customers rudely tell me to get a real job e.g. Multi-level jobs are often regarded in this manner if you do an internet study (check Primerica for example).

PhilX 🇺🇸
Telemarketing must be one of the most unreal jobs there is. The customers are angry and you have to remain calm. Are you allowed to terminate the call on bad customers? The company must really want you to quit if there's no benefits.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

commonsense wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:42 pm

PhilX 🇺🇸
Telemarketing must be one of the most unreal jobs there is. The customers are angry and you have to remain calm. Are you allowed to terminate the call on bad customers? The company must really want you to quit if there's no benefits.
Customers used to be more angry until I learned how to use pausing and my sales starting taking off. Some places would allow you to terminate the call. Call centers are known for having high turnover. Better call centers do have job benefits.

Not all (outbound) telemarketing jobs were bad. Some paid both salary and commission. Some customers were easy to talk to. I had one who, after I introduced myself, in a playful voice said "Well, I don't think..." where she was about to turn me down. I replied "Oh oh" which cracked her up. She admitted she was thinking about getting the paper for a long time, asked me what the offer was and I sold her the paper.

PhilX 🇺🇸
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:57 pm
commonsense wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:42 pm
PhilX 🇺🇸
Customers used to be more angry until I learned how to use pausing and my sales starting taking off. Some places would allow you to terminate the call. Call centers are known for having high turnover. Better call centers do have job benefits.

Not all (outbound) telemarketing jobs were bad. Some paid both salary and commission. Some customers were easy to talk to. I had one who, after I introduced myself, in a playful voice said "Well, I don't think..." where she was about to turn me down. I replied "Oh oh" which cracked her up. She admitted she was thinking about getting the paper for a long time, asked me what the offer was and I sold her the paper.
PhilX 🇺🇸
Some years ago I trained our operators, receptionists and appointment clerks in Customer Service on the Telephone for my organization. It took over a year to get through everyone who was a current employee before moving the class into the orientation curriculum. Although we frequently placed outgoing calls, there was no marketing involved. I remember that the class was a lot of fun for the students, and for me as well, due to the great anecdotes we all shared.
Luxin

deleted 421

Post by Luxin »

deleted 421