Is Bob Evenson an American Traitor?

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Re: Is Bob Evenson an American Traitor?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:18 am Just observing that you couldn't have written it. How is that 'discrimination'? Why do you care if you are hated? There are enough drones who believe your crap to keep you happy.
Rambling thoughts. To have another good laugh, mind explaining to the audience why I couldn't have written it.

PhilX
davidm

Post by davidm »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:58 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:29 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:24 am
Where did you copy-paste that from?
My own words.

PhilX
Sure. Americans don't know that 'toward' is supposed to have an s on the end. Well if Bob's a 'traitor' then at least he has something going for him.
"Toward" and "towards" are completely interchangeable, though according to the Chicago Manual of Style "toward" is the preferred American English version of the word, and "towards" is the preferred British English version. Just thought I'd point that out.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

davidm wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:27 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:29 am

My own words.

PhilX
Sure. Americans don't know that 'toward' is supposed to have an s on the end. Well if Bob's a 'traitor' then at least he has something going for him.
"Toward" and "towards" are completely interchangeable, though according to the Chicago Manual of Style "toward" is the preferred American English version of the word, and "towards" is the preferred British English version. Just thought I'd point that out.
There is no such thing as 'British English'. The language is English. There is English, and there is ugly, bastardised English-- as spoken and written by deliberately and proudly illiterate Americans. Hmm. PE often cites this 'Chicago Manual of Style' too. And I should care what it has to say why?
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:20 pm
There is no such thing as 'British English'. The language is English. There is English, and there is ugly, bastardised English-- as spoken and written by proudly illiterate Americans. Hmm. PE often cites this 'Chicago Manual of Style' too. And I should care what it has to say why?
You raised the issue so you have to care. Since you're prejudiced against Americans, we can safely disregard your characterization of Americans (btw find the post where I've cited CMS as I know I haven't). Hmmm I find it incongruent that VT, who pretends to know about language, often uses gutter language herself. :lol:

PhilX
davidm

Post by davidm »

There is no such thing as 'British English'. The language is English. There is English, and there is ugly, bastardised English-- as spoken and written by proudly illiterate Americans. Hmm. PE often cites this 'Chicago Manual of Style' too. And I should care what it has to say why?
:lol:

Why should anyone care what you think of American English? Why should anyone care that you're uptight over something as petty as "toward/towards"?

Language evolves. Your "English" is today quite different than in the days of Chaucer, for example.

Whan that Aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Etc..

How come you Brits bastardized lovely Middle English? :evil:
vegetariantaxidermy

davidm wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:50 pm

Why should anyone care what you think of American English? Why should anyone care that you're uptight over something as petty as "toward/towards"?

Language evolves. Your "English" is today quite different than in the days of Chaucer, for example.

Etc..

:lol: So predictable. There's a big difference between natural evolution and deliberate bastardisation. Most people don't play mediaeval music any more either. Just because there are different genres of music doesn't mean that the rules of music are being altered.
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:48 pm

You raised the issue so you have to care. Since you're prejudiced against Americans, we can safely disregard your characterization of Americans (btw find the post where I've cited CMS as I know I haven't). Hmmm I find it incongruent that VT, who pretends to know about language, often uses gutter language herself. :lol:

PhilX
Do you think I'm going to bother searching through your posts? Seeing them once is bad enough. It's hardly my fault if you have the mind of a sieve.
davidm

Post by davidm »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Etc..

:lol: So predictable. There's a big difference between natural evolution and deliberate bastardisation. Most people don't play mediaeval music any more either. Just because there are different genres of music doesn't mean that the rules of music are being altered.
You make no sense at all, though this discussion is really too petty to pursue with any gusto. How did Americans "deliberately bastardize" English? Was there, at the time of the Revolution, an "English Bastardization" committee that met to draw up a list of bastardized words and phrases that Americans would be required to use in the future? And if so, how did they enforce that? Were there Grammar and Word Bastardization Militias of some sort that roamed the cities and the countryside, ensuring proper bastardization? :lol:

There sure are some weird people on this forum!
vegetariantaxidermy

davidm wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:13 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Etc..

You make no sense at all, though this discussion is really too petty to pursue with any gusto. How did Americans "deliberately bastardize" English? Was there, at the time of the Revolution, an "English Bastardization" committee that met to draw up a list of bastardized words and phrases that Americans would be required to use in the future? And if so, how did they enforce that? Were there Grammar and Word Bastardization Militias of some sort that roamed the cities and the countryside, ensuring proper bastardization? :lol:

There sure are some weird people on this forum!
Which part didn't you understand? Are you aware of the concept of 'dumbing-down'? There is a reason why the illiterate American word for stupid has been used. I've done a fair bit of proofreading and editing and believe me, really well educated and reasonable Americans use English (unfortunately that's a species near extinction). It's probably something that has never occurred to you, hence your bewilderment. Have a little think about it :)
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:07 pm

PhilX
Do you think I'm going to bother searching through your posts? Seeing them once is bad enough. It's hardly my fault if you have the mind of a sieve.
You're proving my point. You lie to make things up.

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:21 pm

PhilX

PhilX
Oh right. It's something I would bother to lie about. Are you 71 going on 10?
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:25 pm

PhilX
Trying to insult further proving my point. Are you senile yourself?

PhilX
vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:29 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:25 pm

PhilX
Trying to insult further proving my point. Are you senile yourself?

PhilX
The only reason (apart from your dementia) that you don't remember is because it was a copy-paste. I doubt if you even bothered to read it or notice where you were copy-pasting it from.
davidm

Post by davidm »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:17 pm
I've done a fair bit of proofreading and editing ...
Me too. In fact, I get paid an unusually tidy sum to do those things. :wink:
vegetariantaxidermy

davidm wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:08 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:17 pm
I've done a fair bit of proofreading and editing ...
Me too. In fact, I get paid an unusually tidy sum to do those things. :wink:
I'm sorry to hear that. :cry: