Interesting insights about love.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

-1-

Re: Interesting insights about love.

Post by -1- »

doolhoofd wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:35 am
duszek wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:04 pm Love begins when you move from liking someone because of to liking someone inspite of.
"Everybody's in a shitty thing. That's what it's like to be with somebody: you're either alone, or you're in a shitty thing. That covers one hundred percent of human beings. I can see there's young couples here; you're thinking, "No, we're in a good one. It's really good." Who do you think you are? It just didn't get shitty yet. So arrogant! "I think we figured it out." Yeah. You're the first ones. Of course it's going to get shitty. That's part of it. It's like going to a horror movie, and in the first minute, you're like, "I think they're all gonna be fine." No. They're all gonna die. And you're gonna hate the person you love right now. That's just the way it works. Love plus time minus distance equals hate. I'm not saying don't do it. You should do it. It's the best thing. It's the best part of life, love is. But don't be greedy and expect it to last! Don't be amazed that a butterfly died because you shot it in the face." - Louis C.K., 2017

"I hate to break it to you but what people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, then it slowly fades, leaving you stranded in a failing marriage. I did it; your parents are gonna do it. Break the cycle. Rise above. Focus on science." - Rick Sanchez, Rick and Morty, S01 E06

"A relationship is the price you pay for the anticipation of one." - Robert Sapolsky, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOY3QH_ ... .be&t=2385
"Love is the pleasant interval between meeting a beautiful girl and realizing she looks like a haddock." -- Berke Breathed, in "Bloom County".

"Once a man walked up to me and said: "What is ...love?" So I twisted his arm, spun him around, pinned him against the wall, and guess who is asking the questions now." -- Saturday Night Live, sometime in the nineteen-eighties.

"Marriage is like a fort under siege... those who are outside, want to get inside, and those who are inside, want to get outside." Heard it from my late aunt Eva, RIP. Heard it when she was still alive.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Love is when you see him/her making out with another gal/guy and you don't feel jealous.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Something which too readily turns into its opposite.
Walker

Post by Walker »

“Love is the morning and the evening star that shines on the cradle of the babe. Hear ye sinners, love is the inspiration of poets and philosophers. Love is the voice of music. I’m talkin’ about divine love, not carnal love.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5etYwBCMef0
Walker

Post by Walker »

“It is only when you begin to understand that if you and I are truly in love, if I go to the place in me that is love and you to the place in you that is love, we are ‘together’ in Love. We start to understand that what love means is that we are sharing a common state together. That state exists in you and it exists in me. Now the enlightened being – what happens to him is that he changes the nature of his love object from a specific love object to it all, finally. You would say that an enlightened being is totally in love with the universe, in the sense that everything in the universe turns him on to that place in himself where he is love and consciousness.”

- Ram Dass

The Only Dance There Is
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:21 pm
Harbal wrote:
duszek wrote:Love begins when you move from liking someone because of to liking someone inspite of.
I find this very encouraging as I am someone with a lot of "in-spite ofs".
Most women find a funny man irresistible.
true. as a male (i might not be typical - i.e. i've noted women finding men that are funny is valuable, but never heard the similar WRT to men) i find a funny women is vital (along with big hips and butt - lol - i'm a guy! just the way we are - visual). big butt without sense of humor - for me at least - is worth a one nighter, but(T) no more.

lol.

--
but(T) yes you are right about women liking a funny guy (and TALL BTW - we spared on this a while back - i rem) - i don't know about men though, except myself, who values funny gals.

now i'm curious!

Men? do you find funny gals as a vital quality for a partner?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Harbal wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:44 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Was Woody Allen ever funny enough to be fancy-able?
Definitely.
I've got a feeling that, as far as Hobbes is concerned, that is not the correct answer, VT. :D
interesting, why not? W.A is funny, his movies are good.funny, and the man is not ugly.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Hobbes' Choice wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:57 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Was Woody Allen ever funny enough to be fancy-able?
Definitely.
Seriously though when it came to the bedroom with that tiny skinny pale body and the big head with the curly hair you'd not go through with it eh?
lol. sounds like you know more about W.A. then myself.

i'll leave the room now.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:09 am
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: At his peak of funniness he was irresistible. Just look at the women he had.
Women he had, or had by women.

Honestly - use your imagination.
'He's' had. Mind you, I didn't know he was a sleaze back then.
He may be a sleaze, but he was a damn good movie director and offered many excellent works.

just noting the fact. just as many other actors/directors - sleaze bags, but damn good at their craft.

i mean really - unless you know the man personally - which most of us never have/do - who fives a fk. value their talent and leave up their character to those burdened with having to live/know them.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

duszek wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:57 pm How about shame and embarassment ?

Do you still love someone if you feel embarassed by their behaviour in public places ?
yes. one should never be defined by the crowd.

only pssys are so weakly defined.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

A_Seagull wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:52 pm Love is when you see him/her making out with another gal/guy and you don't feel jealous.
no. in the above, jealiousy would be warranted.

love of that person does not change either, just your action - kick them to the curb or not.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Dubious wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:11 am Something which too readily turns into its opposite.
true Prophet! the other side of the coin is Hate.

it is also a powerful emotion (second only to Love IMO).

and Hate is the test of Love. ie. under travail can you come to Hate one you Loved prior? (one of the big questions of life).

I'm don't know fully - never been so betrayed (but close with my best friend - whom i never hated but had much anger toward for nearly a decade - and still do, though he came to me and appoligized 6 months ago) - but suspect if it is "True Love" then you cannto Hat them, and it you end up hating then, it was not love (but like instead) in the first place.
Last edited by gaffo on Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:51 pm
duszek wrote:Love begins when you move from liking someone because of to liking someone inspite of.
I find this very encouraging as I am someone with a lot of "in-spite ofs".
Yeah. Me too.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Yes, love makes us eager to excuse a lot in the beloved person.

All flaws and misdemeanors are charming in a way.

In a way only we are able to perceive.

So it is not possible to explain it to any third person.
-1-

Post by -1- »

gaffo wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:39 am Men? do you find funny gals as a vital quality for a partner?
I can't speak for myself, but I knew a man once who married a woman who was funny, I mean, incredibly high-society and intellecutally funny, in each of her sentences. And she was downright not very too much attractive. And she had tons of money.

So the question morphs into "Did he marry her for her fun, her money, or for both?"

He was boring, poor, and extremely, but outright stunningly, handsome.

I haven't met a couple like that before or after. Obviously she had all the male characteristics that people think men have to attract women, and men have that makes them feel attracted to women; and he, all the female characteristics.

They had one child, but when the baby was a baby still, I lost touch with them. So I don't knwo what kind of a freak the little tyke grew up to be.
Last edited by -1- on Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.