General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:57 pm
gaffo wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:36 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:09 am
Yes, I really enjoyed Falling Down too. I've just looked up The Pledge on WIKI and like you stated - it was poor at the box office, but the critical response was very positive (downloading it now!)
so, what did you think of the movie - via torrent ;-)?

I thought The Pledge was in the top 20 or so of all time.

why? - many reasons:

1. main character - Jack Nickolson's character - name forget - is a good guy, ended up taking one last case prior to retire.................this movie is subtle (all about Gray - Nickolson is a nice guy, but he makes 2 mistakes (as all good guys like you a me - unless they are wiser to not fk themselves).

mistake #1 of Jack's character (who i like at first - not so much later (again this is a "smart movie" about "Character decay" if one lets themselves degrade over obsessions.)) is he makes a promise he cannot keep (he feels for the mother of the killed kid - i understand (as the audience) - but it was a promise anyone forcing reason over emotion, would know one that cannot be made and should not be made.

He making that promise, forced the obsession to solve crime/fullfill promise - to put his girlfriend's kid (Robin Wright) in danger!

for this IMO though have sympathy - lost some of it (as I did in No Country for Old Men) - where Josh Brolin stumbles upon a bag of money/and a gut shot mexican..........takes the money (does not call an ambulance..lamely returns with water for a now dead mex - ok Josh showed his colors (like Nicholson in his role/film) - ignoring "right thing to do" at the time.

---------------

otherthing about "the Pledge" (BTW "Oliver" is the Pedokiller - you will have a paned short clip of him - 50 something - when he is called by retarded niece/sister).

No, not "justice by man"......is done.

instead.

"Oliver" dies loved, no-one knew (outside of Oliver of course)
"Oliver" was killed by Logging Truck/God? too ------- no matter which HE IS KILLED - and HE WAS A FEDOKILLER - AND HE IS NEVER EXPOSED (to men - to God? - yes if He Exists).
Jack Nickelson is fucked! - because Oliver is killed (via traffic accident - and "no-one ever knew (nor ever will!!!!!!!!! (i love this movie's mindset here - it all there! (anti-"virtue signaling" - God/fate takes out a monster and none notice! - and can no longer vendicate Jack in this stance of putting a girl in danger to catch a killer.

God/fate killed the killer via the logging truck.........Jack is discraced and goes insane and never knows the monsters died.................but he allowed his obcession to endanger the girl.

so forfieted the right to a good end personally (as in the case of No Country for Old Men).

another excellent movie - with similar characters, likeable, but make choices that forfeit their moral high ground.
I watched it in 3 stages - because I got tired while watching quite late at night.
It certainly wouldn't enter my top 20 list, I did like it, and the non-typical Hollywood ending. Sad thing was that Nickelson ended up ruining his reputation when he should have retired as an excellent cop - and he appeared to turn into a crazy drunk over the whole affair.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but Nickelson did know toward the end, the son of that fat woman, that he was the perp? But he needed to catch the perp in the act? It was obvious the son would have been top of the list - since the chocolate porcupines, but he couldn't have the scum arrested, since he needed to prove it to the law -especially since the arrested dude that had admitted to it at the outset was dead.

No Country for Oldmen - really enjoyed that film.
Two Australian movies worth watching - Two Hands - Oz gangster film with Heath Ledger (for me his best film and the one that kicked off his career) and Bad Boy Bubby (not one to watch with the kids) - very confronting film, but I watched again recently and realised just how clever had been done - filmed not too far from where I currently live in fact.
I did mention those two ealier in this thread, but I do recommend them to anyone interested in ozzy films.
thanks for reply and you watching the film - for me it grew on me for first viewing (like The Rapture - which i hated in the theater - then via VHS and later DVD viewings 10-20 yrs later realized it too was a top 20 rather than bottom 20 which was my first opinion on The Rapture).

BTW - this is rare for me - only a handful of movies - 5 oat most - did i think "it sucked" to reverse upon latter viewings.

for me I did not think The Pledge sucked, but that it improved from good to great - for me after viewing and thinking about "Stuff" - characters/details/events/motives/etc.............

glad for your reply and like discussing movies/characters of and their motives (in good movies - not schlock) - so thank you Sir.

Sad thing was that Nickelson ended up ruining his reputation when he should have retired as an excellent cop - and he appeared to turn into a crazy drunk over the whole affair.

yes - i found it sad- and had pity for the man, but no sympathy. I knew right from wrong, he choose to "catch the guy" over the safety of his girlfriend's daughter (sure in his mind he thought "I'll catch him when he shows up to see her") - but he is a dick for placing catching the creep over the safety of his girlfriend's kid) - so no sympathy (Robin Wright did right! in leaving the jerk for placing her kid as a lour(dislexic - you know what i mean)) to catch the creep.

if Nickelson was a better guy (he's a good guy, but not as good as he should have been (and their is much "moby dick - OBSESSION - here (and know that 2/3 of that points to the mind of the fixated self failings rather than the whale (child killer in this movies case)) - he would never have allowed the kid of his girl to "See the Wissard" - even if it meant the capture of the killer.

but he chose his obsession to catch the killer over the his gf kids safety (thing "i will not put here in danger") - well by default as using her is pawn does/did so, and so I will give Nichloson my pity but not my sympothy(fk i hate dyslexia).

same for Josh Brolen in "no country for" - and he had 2 CHANCES TO DO RIGHT AND FAILED BOTH TIMES.

1. time one - finding a mexican dude dying, instead of leaving and going to sleep and then returning later - 10 yurs or so - to give water to the now dead man - the moral thing thing is to call the cops/first aiders - they might have arrived early enough to provide water and live to the still alive mexican man in the truck (Josh did not do that and so from that point onward, i lost interest in his survival - he did the wrong thing, so if he is killed, fine my me).

2. Hired hitman give's him repreive: lay down your life, and I'll spare your wife. Josh rejects offer and he and his wife are killed.

I had no regret for Josh dying (he chose his greed first time and pride second time) - but his wife was kewl, sad that her husband was an asshole and to blame for her death - via the assasine jerk.

-----------------------------------

boy that "sheriff" or whatever the fk he was (*weightlifter" with all the picts of the cut up kids....getting off over it).................the Pledge is a smart movie, for sadly there are some that collect toward law enforcement via fedo/sexual power dynamics.............etc)................where some can live that inner mental fantacy legally as "a cop" others via illegal "creepy citizen".

The Pledge notes this - as i did upon first viewing (its sick - though true sadly) - ;-(.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:57 pm
gaffo wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:36 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:09 am
Yes, I really enjoyed Falling Down too. I've just looked up The Pledge on WIKI and like you stated - it was poor at the box office, but the critical response was very positive (downloading it now!)
so, what did you think of the movie - via torrent ;-)?

I thought The Pledge was in the top 20 or so of all time.

why? - many reasons:

1. main character - Jack Nickolson's character - name forget - is a good guy, ended up taking one last case prior to retire.................this movie is subtle (all about Gray - Nickolson is a nice guy, but he makes 2 mistakes (as all good guys like you a me - unless they are wiser to not fk themselves).

mistake #1 of Jack's character (who i like at first - not so much later (again this is a "smart movie" about "Character decay" if one lets themselves degrade over obsessions.)) is he makes a promise he cannot keep (he feels for the mother of the killed kid - i understand (as the audience) - but it was a promise anyone forcing reason over emotion, would know one that cannot be made and should not be made.

He making that promise, forced the obsession to solve crime/fullfill promise - to put his girlfriend's kid (Robin Wright) in danger!

for this IMO though have sympathy - lost some of it (as I did in No Country for Old Men) - where Josh Brolin stumbles upon a bag of money/and a gut shot mexican..........takes the money (does not call an ambulance..lamely returns with water for a now dead mex - ok Josh showed his colors (like Nicholson in his role/film) - ignoring "right thing to do" at the time.

---------------

otherthing about "the Pledge" (BTW "Oliver" is the Pedokiller - you will have a paned short clip of him - 50 something - when he is called by retarded niece/sister).

No, not "justice by man"......is done.

instead.

"Oliver" dies loved, no-one knew (outside of Oliver of course)
"Oliver" was killed by Logging Truck/God? too ------- no matter which HE IS KILLED - and HE WAS A FEDOKILLER - AND HE IS NEVER EXPOSED (to men - to God? - yes if He Exists).
Jack Nickelson is fucked! - because Oliver is killed (via traffic accident - and "no-one ever knew (nor ever will!!!!!!!!! (i love this movie's mindset here - it all there! (anti-"virtue signaling" - God/fate takes out a monster and none notice! - and can no longer vendicate Jack in this stance of putting a girl in danger to catch a killer.

God/fate killed the killer via the logging truck.........Jack is discraced and goes insane and never knows the monsters died.................but he allowed his obcession to endanger the girl.

so forfieted the right to a good end personally (as in the case of No Country for Old Men).

another excellent movie - with similar characters, likeable, but make choices that forfeit their moral high ground.
I watched it in 3 stages - because I got tired while watching quite late at night.
It certainly wouldn't enter my top 20 list, I did like it, and the non-typical Hollywood ending. Sad thing was that Nickelson ended up ruining his reputation when he should have retired as an excellent cop - and he appeared to turn into a crazy drunk over the whole affair.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but Nickelson did know toward the end, the son of that fat woman, that he was the perp? But he needed to catch the perp in the act? It was obvious the son would have been top of the list - since the chocolate porcupines, but he couldn't have the scum arrested, since he needed to prove it to the law -especially since the arrested dude that had admitted to it at the outset was dead.

No Country for Oldmen - really enjoyed that film.
Two Australian movies worth watching - Two Hands - Oz gangster film with Heath Ledger (for me his best film and the one that kicked off his career) and Bad Boy Bubby (not one to watch with the kids) - very confronting film, but I watched again recently and realised just how clever had been done - filmed not too far from where I currently live in fact.
I did mention those two ealier in this thread, but I do recommend them to anyone interested in ozzy films.
I posted a reply without answering your particualar inquaries:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Nickelson did know toward the end, the son of that fat woman, that he was the perp?

Fat women? - no idea of whom you refer.

Nicholson was fixated upon the Christian fundie (40 something bald gay - the one that helped make the snowman for his gf girl). had dreams of kiling him in the church if you remember.

obsessed - and convinced he was the creep. He was creepy all write (for whatever reasons) - but not the creep that killed 3? (or was it 2?) kids - the killer was another creep.

and so, no Nickolson was utterly clueless - in his mind he convicted the innocent creep as the serial killer - and died in an alcoholic haze certian that 40- something baldie fundie driving a blue car was the killer (when he was just a christian funie nut - and maybe a nice guy otherwise - and no child killer) he just happened to drive a "less boxy" but also Blue car! as the actual killer "oliver".

admittIt was obvious the son would have been top of the list - since the chocolate porcupines, but he couldn't have the scum arrested, since he needed to prove it to the law -especially since the arrested dude that had ed to it at the outset was dead.

?????????????? bald 40 something fundie guy get much airtime in movie - actual killer "oliver" get literally 3 seconds (we seen him - 50 or so with gray hair in a "Window" - when his sister? cousin? (gal at the sweet shop counter calls to him (she looks like maybe "downs syndrome?")...............anyway, he is the killer, and dies via a logging truck talking a turn too fast on rought to vindicate Nickelson!

what irony, Nicholson's killer is killed on rought to seeing his gf kid (and only God knows his is killed) - Nick is fucked due to his pride in risking safety of GF's kid - ya he was right in entrapping the killer (wrong is who he thought the killer was - not the 40 something bald guy) - God fixed him via one of Nich's 7 sins - pride.

so the killer dies - most folks never thought there was a serial killer and nick is decraced.

only "God"/fate/whatever - knows (and Oliver).

this understanding of the movie minutia is what make it a top 20 IMO.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

admittIt was obvious the son would have been top of the list - since the chocolate porcupines, but he couldn't have the scum arrested, since he needed to prove it to the law -especially since the arrested dude that had ed to it at the outset was dead.

??? American Indian retarded guy in truck just happened to find the butchered girl, and the lazy cop decided he was guilty via his the former discovering the girl and the running away - cop was a lazy smuck, but being a cop made the charges stick, retarded innocent indian did not like being railroaded, but scarred and got himself killed via a shitty lazy cop.

so not sure where you are going here.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:19 pm I'm pretty sure I've also posted this one in the thread - but another great Ozzy film - Chopper. Based on a true story, starring Eric Bana as Chopper.

Here is a U-Tube "interview" where Eric Bana is discussing the film with 'Chopper Read' - maybe to have insight into his character prior to the film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsT1g-d1rBQ

PS. Chopper had someone chop his own ears off to get transferred to another prison.

Grizzly stuff, but rather humourous.

And then there is Romper Stomper - a film about racism set in Melbourne I think, about skinheads...the one that probably put Russel Crowe into position as a great actor.
I've seen a few Ozzie moves. 1st Road Warrior of course, Gillopoliie in the 80's via Cable tV in CA, and more recently Wolf Creek (i think there is second now), and esp Snowtown (bodies in the barrels) - have on Bluray - removes 2 weeks from my lifespan with each viewing (sort of like that "7 days" horror flick years ago) - i think its so, for each time i view that horror, i feel less alive, and why i have the bluray and only viewed it 1.5 times since first viewing it via netflicks 6 yrs ago............the torchure of "trey" (who is a bully and not likeable) - to hard to watch "yes master" while dying even if a dick is tough to take.

Snowtown is a top 20 for sure though - even if it removed 14 days from your life with each veiwing - "shoot the fucking dog!!!!!!" - what an ass! its HIS OWN DOG- and does not call it by its own name upon ordering its execution?

asshole for sure, but why he put many buddies in barrels - with much help from other dicks.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:19 pm I

And then there is Romper Stomper -
yes excellent movie (Crowe) - viewed via local arthouse VHS vid store in the early 90's in Austin TX.

watched it via tape in 93 or 94. stuck with me, good movie!

not known, even after Crowe became international.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

gaffo wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:25 am admittIt was obvious the son would have been top of the list - since the chocolate porcupines, but he couldn't have the scum arrested, since he needed to prove it to the law -especially since the arrested dude that had ed to it at the outset was dead.

??? American Indian retarded guy in truck just happened to find the butchered girl, and the lazy cop decided he was guilty via his the former discovering the girl and the running away - cop was a lazy smuck, but being a cop made the charges stick, retarded innocent indian did not like being railroaded, but scarred and got himself killed via a shitty lazy cop.

Ya, not sure either way, me or you! The fat woman was the mother of the dude that made chocolate porcupines, so for a decent cop, he would have been the prime suspect. The dude that kept playing with the bait (the young girl) was innocent. Unless, me falling asleep 3 times throughout the film rendered me incapacitated to make a rational comprehension of the film, which to be honest...I didn't find particularly interesting.

Anyhoo...this film is in my top 10 favourites, although there are many that would put it way down the list, it's a long and beautiful film and very humourous and disgusting at various times, but one one can watch many times and pick up on various nuances:-

Cloud Atlas Download, watch it, or you are no friend of mine! - an independent film that barely made it to the screen, with many fine actors, and some that played multiple roles. Here is Tom Hanks at his finest as a psychopathic Scottish author, who decides to deal with a critic of his book, in a rather flat and inane way. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqiPVEa8PPs
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:14 pm
gaffo wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:25 am admittIt was obvious the son would have been top of the list - since the chocolate porcupines, but he couldn't have the scum arrested, since he needed to prove it to the law -especially since the arrested dude that had ed to it at the outset was dead.

Ya, not sure either way, me or you!
for sure - I've forgotten the details of who is whom/etc of this movie (I know who the killer is) - but forget "who fat mom is who's son"/etc.....etc.

I have the movie on DVD since about 10 yrs ago - and not viewed it in around 5, so you got me curious, and interested in viewing again.

unlike music, movies do not work for repeated replays, and why i only buy DVD's of 9's or better - and then wait for years after my mem starts to fail - to rewatch and enjoy (or "enjoy" - per the bleak ones i have).

unlike music CD's - where i can listen to ad infinitum and never get tired/bored..............something weird about "music vs video" i guess.

listing to Nada Surf now - for the 500th time since i disscovered them 10 yrs ago(been around for 20 - heard 2 songs of theirs in the 90's - only didn't know who they were then..............and fine with it - no way any movie could serve in the same way.

"Discovered" Nada Surf via an excellent (though bleak movie) - about suicide - The Bridge - about 10 yrs ago via one of their songs in it (and me noting it and checking credits)

as i did with Nico Case via a lesser move - good but not great (unlike The Bridge) - Wilderness Survival for Girls. never heard of Nico until around the same time - 10 yrs ago - then via credits figured out "pretty girl" was via Nice Case, and bought her CDs - as with Nada Surf via The Bridge.

The Bridge is an excellent movie about people that think death is better than continued living (I was in that space 20 yrs ago and can/could relate - no wish to get more personal, more than that)......just that i could relate to that movie and it was done respectfully about a topic damn near all insist is invisible (and a sin if one is a dick) - though 1 every 2 weeks die "like clockwork" from that bridge - since i assume when built a century ago.

- I've digressed, I'll re-view the movie i have (its a top 20 and worthy of my/your clarification of characters) - and will get back to you in 2-weeks (holidays and such - so will need an added week to get to viewing) with my views of the movie and it characters, and hopefully clarification of said.

attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:14 pm The fat woman was the mother of the dude that made chocolate porcupines, so for a decent cop, he would have been the prime suspect. The dude that kept playing with the bait (the young girl) was innocent. Unless, me falling asleep 3 times throughout the film rendered me incapacitated to make a rational comprehension of the film, which to be honest...I didn't find particularly interesting.

Anyhoo...this film is in my top 10 favourites,

?????????? didn't find interesting, but top 10?

confused with the nonsequiter, but would love understanding it!

attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:14 pm although there are many that would put it way down the list,
not surprised - know in fact - it faiiled at box office.

BTW i've found the best movies have in general failed at the box office. esp if it ain't "feel good" (to clarify - non feel good's pay a penalty, i've nothihng again feel good as long as it is a good movie.

nor feel bad, but others seem to WRT to the latter types and the equally good feel bad movies fail at the box office ;-(.

sadly,

I'm all about the Human Condition - universals, *"Feel"good or bad - and if the movies theme is about that and it has characters i can relate to.

check out Color of Paradise (2nd fav movie after 2001) if you've not seen, father is not dick, just limited, though with sight, sees much less than his blind son.
attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:14 pm Cloud Atlas Download, watch it, or you are no friend of mine! - an independent film that barely made it to the screen, with many fine actors, and some that played multiple roles. Here is Tom Hanks at his finest as a psychopathic Scottish author, who decides to deal with a critic of his book, in a rather flat and inane way. :D

do not know about this movie - I will have to view it somehow maybe.

thats ok if i cant find it, and you reject me as a friend, i know you are a good guy (I assume are a guy (yes my assumption make me a SEXIST! - you caught me), thanks for reply, since being here for a year you've shown goodwill and good character, and so it good from my end.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

hey Att - sort off topic, but you are an aussie (i think).

I watched/downloaded the Crime Scene Australia TV series from YT 8 yrs ago (all remove now of course) - and know some of of your land's history.

Truro, Bondi beach/etc.......

know a little about "Clarmont murders" from said series - esp remember the video of "man of interest" on the street from said tV show 8 yrs ago.

2 yrs ago i read that perp (Cable internet ISP worker) was caught via his brother via a drunk driving pullover and DNA collection (i,e he was a close match to the DNA via the Clearmont murders, and cops connected the dot to the DNA of brother was close enough to be a brother of the unknown killer) - and so whats his name (forgot - viewed a few picts of the perp a the time - from highschool/late pick at 40 something...............

what is the news via your courts on said perp since 2 yrs ago?

not heard. i can google, but prefer to hear it from you for conversational's sake ;-).

and too lazy to research too ;-).
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

gaffo wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:42 am"Discovered" Nada Surf via an excellent (though bleak movie) - about suicide - The Bridge - about 10 yrs ago via one of their songs in it (and me noting it and checking credits)

as i did with Nico Case via a lesser move - good but not great (unlike The Bridge) - Wilderness Survival for Girls. never heard of Nico until around the same time - 10 yrs ago - then via credits figured out "pretty girl" was via Nice Case, and bought her CDs - as with Nada Surf via The Bridge.

The Bridge is an excellent movie about people that think death is better than continued living (I was in that space 20 yrs ago and can/could relate - no wish to get more personal, more than that)......just that i could relate to that movie and it was done respectfully about a topic damn near all insist is invisible (and a sin if one is a dick) - though 1 every 2 weeks die "like clockwork" from that bridge - since i assume when built a century ago.
- I've digressed, I'll re-view the movie i have (its a top 20 and worthy of my/your clarification of characters) - and will get back to you in 2-weeks (holidays and such - so will need an added week to get to viewing) with my views of the movie and it characters, and hopefully clarification of said.
I am a download 'junkie' so will get hold of The Bridge, and also have a listen to Nada Surf!

Yes, sometimes suicide can look like the best option, but I think we tend to realise, we are going to hurt those around us and so, sometimes reconsider.
gaffo wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:42 am
attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:14 pm The fat woman was the mother of the dude that made chocolate porcupines, so for a decent cop, he would have been the prime suspect. The dude that kept playing with the bait (the young girl) was innocent. Unless, me falling asleep 3 times throughout the film rendered me incapacitated to make a rational comprehension of the film, which to be honest...I didn't find particularly interesting.

Anyhoo...this film is in my top 10 favourites,

?????????? didn't find interesting, but top 10?

confused with the nonsequiter, but would love understanding it!
No, what followed was the film that I rate in my top 10 - Cloud Atlas, sorry for the confusion...not our previous meanderings into The Pledge - to be honest that film would have a hard time making it to my top 100.

attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:14 pm although there are many that would put it way down the list,
not surprised - know in fact - it faiiled at box office.

BTW i've found the best movies have in general failed at the box office. esp if it ain't "feel good" (to clarify - non feel good's pay a penalty, i've nothihng again feel good as long as it is a good movie.

nor feel bad, but others seem to WRT to the latter types and the equally good feel bad movies fail at the box office ;-(.

sadly,

I'm all about the Human Condition - universals, *"Feel"good or bad - and if the movies theme is about that and it has characters i can relate to.

check out Color of Paradise (2nd fav movie after 2001) if you've not seen, father is not dick, just limited, though with sight, sees much less than his blind son.
Yes, I like films with a level of depth to their story - not much into bland CGI superhero stuff, I will have a look at that film too Gaffo.
attofishpi wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:14 pm Cloud Atlas Download, watch it, or you are no friend of mine! - an independent film that barely made it to the screen, with many fine actors, and some that played multiple roles. Here is Tom Hanks at his finest as a psychopathic Scottish author, who decides to deal with a critic of his book, in a rather flat and inane way. :D

do not know about this movie - I will have to view it somehow maybe.

thats ok if i cant find it, and you reject me as a friend, i know you are a good guy (I assume are a guy (yes my assumption make me a SEXIST! - you caught me), thanks for reply, since being here for a year you've shown goodwill and good character, and so it good from my end.
I appreciate that Gaffo - sometimes my fuse does burn out, but I am trying to curb my anger and stick to out reasoning debaters! No I never reject anyone as a friend, unless they are deceitful, even if not to me. Yes, I am an English Australian - referred to around these parts as a POM, especially around discussions of cricket!
Cloud Atlas is an epic film, it's like many great films rolled into one and with some fine actors. Hilarious at times, and sickening at other times. ...and with this film 'time' is the key.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

gaffo wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:54 am hey Att - sort off topic, but you are an aussie (i think).

I watched/downloaded the Crime Scene Australia TV series from YT 8 yrs ago (all remove now of course) - and know some of of your land's history.

know a little about "Clarmont murders" from said series - esp remember the video of "man of interest" on the street from said tV show 8 yrs ago.

2 yrs ago i read that perp (Cable internet ISP worker) was caught via his brother via a drunk driving pullover and DNA collection (i,e he was a close match to the DNA via the Clearmont murders, and cops connected the dot to the DNA of brother was close enough to be a brother of the unknown killer) - and so whats his name (forgot - viewed a few picts of the perp a the time - from highschool/late pick at 40 something...............

not heard. i can google, but prefer to hear it from you for conversational's sake ;-).

Sorry Gaffo - I'm not familiar with all that - something rings a bell re the above, but I didn't mean to do it. :D
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:52 am
gaffo wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:54 am hey Att - sort off topic, but you are an aussie (i think).

Sorry Gaffo - I'm not familiar with all that - something rings a bell re the above, but I didn't mean to do it. :D
no prob, I'll get around to googling the perps current fate. thanks for reply. It seems you value universal human conditions/and characters in movies about such. seems all to rare today (the bridge is about suicide - and that act is selfish - but being too close to that mentality myself 20 yrs ago - do not assume "they" think about their acts of ending life upon others" - they don't (I do not judge - being their close enough to have no wish to return nor judge (and still a depressant by nature to remain humble in all things - including judgment of others/their actions).

I understand the concept - via Catholism that God gives to morals - life - that it is selfish and acting was one's own god to remove self life - as a form of pride) - but though correct in theory, it misses the mindset of those in the mire, and so callout the concept of condemnation of those that remove their life playing demigod (power to remove their life, but not self create it decades prior) - and strive to be more humble myself.

I rewatched, The Pledge BTW - took notes and will relate them later.

just note that i noted for the first time the soundtrack of The Pledge is excellent I may buy the CD of (how did i miss this the 2 or so othertimes i viewed it? - I noted Fargo and The Player and bought Burwells' and Newman's CD's work therein (Burwell also did Bloodsimple - excellent Noir with black humour - as Fargo had), newman did "man in black" (a third remake of "death takes holiday").

BTW the second one - TV movie of early 70's (offered on my Youtube channel 3 yrs ago before channel removed for copyriech violations) with Monty Markham and Mimiyete Yavette or some such is the best version, then the original with Fredic March (30's)......and the one with Brad Pitt sucked and far third. but Newman's soundtrack of said move is excellent - as was his of Showshank Redemption (and that movie itself is excellent).

so you are a POM? - that an acronym? if so what does it spellout? curious.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

no need to reply to my inquary - i respect prvacy - just curious of where abouts you are in Australia,

I'm a liberal stuck in America's bible belt - OK - and lived in TX decades prior the same bible belt) - but islands of Liberalism, Norman now, Austin prior, so not all bad.

I love both States, though not their directions politically/mentally in general since 1990 (prior both states were Democratic on mindset (as i was an am)---"new" dems (pol correctness/identity pol i hate - so no longer a reg dem)- but hate God old Party theocracy of Repugiklans (that party is now Trump party) too. "we" threw off " devine reich of Kings to rule over us 230 yrs ago!

as did you and your NZ newighbors and the Canadians - 100 yr later and without blood.

i note this and respect (Brits of course now longer do either - no wait, they apparently do via the Brexit vote/mentality).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

uttely off topic, but wish to thank the Aussies for stepping up and supporting UN/human dignaty WRT to East Timor 18 yrs ago, Indoesains illegally invaded East Timor in 75, and the aussies helped in correcting the injustice and gave the ET independence.

i thank you guys and the UN in this regard for doing the right thing.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

off topic - per Color of Paradise movie.

Majid Majidi (Iranian Moive Director)- one (the?) of the best today.

he also made Children of Heaven and Song of Sparrows.

check them out. excellent movies, esp love the latter - funny, but also had a message - materialism leads to bad things/losing sight of what is important (being thankful of what you have (he has no money, but a family that loves him)- the ostraches in cages in truck when he on the motorcycle in Tarian(sp) reminds him of this (i.e i assume God/allah/life is showing him this - and he has the wisdom to see it).

I loved the scene where he has only "Big bills" to repay the poor window washer girl.................not willing to give a big bill for such cleaning work............and striving from car to car to get change for the big bill to pay for the work by girl done.

I can relate, he is a good guy and i liked him thoughout the film (song of sparrow) - girl never gets paid, but it's ok. main guy is a good fellow and retuns home as the man he was prior to his inticement of the big city/making more money.
Last edited by gaffo on Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hey gaffo, why post about movies. Aren't they things that, amongst everything else, dont really exist to you?