Favourite movie scenes

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:42 am Potter continued ...

The fellow I saw on the TV within the TV, the one who grandpa was watching, did not look like either Poitier or Belafonte, so the TV character that grandpa was watching could have been named Potter, a third party not so famous, perhaps a D-list actor who grandpa saw in some other movie.

However, when grandpa was told that the person he was watching was called Bellafonte, this totally invalidated the possibility of mispronunciation and shifted the emphasis to the Belafonte name. Belafonte could have been the correct name, because grandpa immediately stood and made adjustments to a second TV screen that was angled away from our angle of view. However, I saw no face that looked like Poitier or Belafonte on the visible-to-us screen that grandpa was watching, so it could have been Potter he was watching.

If Potter was the correct name and grandpa accepted the third opinion that the name was actually Belafonte, which sounded nothing like the second opinion of Poitier, then grandpa has no majority-opinion basis for accepting Belafonte as the correct name, and yet he quickly corrected his opinion of the name.

This means that he is either soft in the head, or he is relying on the second opinion for some unknown reason, or he recognizes that Potter is indeed the incorrect name because he now thinks that he recognizes Belafonte, when he actually could have just been mistakenly associating the second opinion with the face that he originally called Potter. Another option is that he simply wanted to invalidate the second opinion of Poitier, for any reason he could find.

Because all interpretation of perception is inference, we just don’t know for sure, but we can infer probabilities.

In the US the inference is coached by the laugh-track.
Life imitating art waded into the shallows with the laugh tracks.

(Don’t worry. Just practicing with the palette you proffered.)
I have to agree. It wasn't either of those actors.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Not necessarily a favourite. Just an example of a point.

Toons are a form of movies worth attention because of their target audience.

Heckle and Jeckle ~ THE INTRUDERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBUlwt_ ... x4&index=9

Children’s programming was different before the Fred Rogers revolution. The magical happenings and miracles in the toons don’t measure up to the quality of today’s technological Harry Potter Magic, and Marvel Magic, and the story itself has less detail. There's a lot more action than today's conversational, mediation-oriented entertainment for the young minds.

This cartoon magic makes the narrative so easy.
Brings to mind words magic, and math magic.

Back when life was hard and entertainment was the intellectual poetry of reading the KJV Bible over and over, to catch the missed messages, the movies were about miracles like the bible stories, since that's what the screen writers knew.

For example, The Bishop's Wife, with Loretta Young, Cary Grant, David Niven and some good character actors. Cary Grant is an angel performing a bunch of miracles to help out now and then.

It's a good, simple Christmas story about goodness in relationships, in a different way than Hollywood now tells the world the way things are. No Elf, elves, or Santa. There's no cynical super-heros, just an angel, and he gives an interesting description of the cold barrenness of an angel's existence, which is interesting because it's told through the lens of the flesh.
Walker

Post by Walker »

“He’ll live.”
- The Terminator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEztkckjRtE

Commentary: Did you observe the beauty of the apostrophe?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Spaceballs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTJq8co38Pk

- “Make way for Dark Helmet!”
- “I can’t breathe in this thing!”

Commentary: This is too funny, and the irony of The Wisdom Eye on his chest is but another reason why.

2 funny :lol: :lol:
Walker

Post by Walker »

Bullet Train (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lL3cCLk6uE

(language warning for the children)
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

The Revenant, Tom Hardy @ 1:25

https://youtu.be/I2C3QTVpLZQ
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

yeah I watched The Revenant again and realized that the first time I watched it I had no idea Fitzgerald wuz Tom Hardy. I saw The Revenant before i wuz familiar enough with Hardy to be able to recognize him in any character. but i see it now, and immediate kudos for Hardy being able to produce that speech style and accent. i get a kick out of actors with native british accents doing 19th century mid western American characters. 

i tell u what tho men don't get any harder than those hunters, do they? that's why that 'god is a squirrel' scene is so fuckin good.

what were they to do? Fitzgerald wuz right. he's not obligated by contract to stay back with Glass and he's also putting himself in jeopardy/danger. yet he's refused his pay if he doesn't (I think is how it went). what would u do?

now the fireside scene captures all that extraordinary circumstance, all the severity of being faced with having to make such profoundly complicated decisions and what that does to u, how that makes u stone cold, etc.

how the camera begins to imperceptibly zoom in on Fitzgerald as he tells the story of his old man on the botched hunting expedition. the fire light caught in his eyes... there's a nervous but contained madness in there, and whatever that is he's popping into his mouth and chewing (one thinks bits of beef jerky for some reason). the sound of that chewing, the light crackling of the fire... and that last little squint Fitzgerald does after he ends his reverie. fucking bravo man. that scene is some of Hardy's best shit.

if u haven't seen that movie u really oughta. 

"Ain't our place to wonder. The good Lord got us on a road whether we choose it or not."
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

promethean75 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:09 am yeah I watched The Revenant again and realized that the first time I watched it I had no idea Fitzgerald wuz Tom Hardy. I saw The Revenant before i wuz familiar enough with Hardy to be able to recognize him in any character. but i see it now, and immediate kudos for Hardy being able to produce that speech style and accent. i get a kick out of actors with native british accents doing 19th century mid western American characters. 

i tell u what tho men don't get any harder than those hunters, do they? that's why that 'god is a squirrel' scene is so fuckin good.

what were they to do? Fitzgerald wuz right. he's not obligated by contract to stay back with Glass and he's also putting himself in jeopardy/danger. yet he's refused his pay if he doesn't (I think is how it went). what would u do?

now the fireside scene captures all that extraordinary circumstance, all the severity of being faced with having to make such profoundly complicated decisions and what that does to u, how that makes u stone cold, etc.

how the camera begins to imperceptibly zoom in on Fitzgerald as he tells the story of his old man on the botched hunting expedition. the fire light caught in his eyes... there's a nervous but contained madness in there, and whatever that is he's popping into his mouth and chewing (one thinks bits of beef jerky for some reason). the sound of that chewing, the light crackling of the fire... and that last little squint Fitzgerald does after he ends his reverie. fucking bravo man. that scene is some of Hardy's best shit.

if u haven't seen that movie u really oughta. 

"Ain't our place to wonder. The good Lord got us on a road whether we choose it or not."
'was' has the same number of letters and is actually quicker and easier to type :roll:
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

I'm a rebel, veg. A grammar rebel.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Rather what we should be aksing is why would vegetariantaxcollector feel it necessary to quote my entire post, in her post, just to aks me that single question.

I see forum posters do this often. They'll quote yuuuge passages and then under the quote there'll be like one or two things said.

Or as if the poster thinks we need to see what the poster is responding to when their post is the very next post. Lol.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

"No one ever sees you coming, do they Bob?"
https://youtu.be/5DfsNLnPFqE
Walker

Post by Walker »

Unforgiven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnWalWAmryk

- Will Money suffered because he remembers his actions that contradict the inherent morality of human beings that is described by Christian teachings.

- If some other teachings had arbitrarily approved of his actions that contradict the inherent morality of human beings, Will Money would still have suffered from his actions because his actions contradicted the inherent morality described by Christian teachings.

- Words are the tail wagged by the dog, and the dog is inherent morality. Words don't determine morality, but as with Christian teachings they can accurately describe what is inherently known to be right and wrong.
Walker

Post by Walker »

As a child, Saroo did not question his self-concept. Then he lost his self-concept and lived by instinct, surviving like an animal and avoiding capture, and avoiding personal damage from an external source. One thing led to another and he was raised by decent people, and with it developed his self-concept. Then, he began to question his personal identity, his self-concept, because he had matured into self-enquiry, and nothing mattered more to him than to stabilize it (self-concept).

Lion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNI9o06vqo
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Walker wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:41 pm Unforgiven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnWalWAmryk

- Will Money suffered because he remembers his actions that contradict the inherent morality of human beings that is described by Christian teachings.

- If some other teachings had arbitrarily approved of his actions that contradict the inherent morality of human beings, Will Money would still have suffered from his actions because his actions contradicted the inherent morality described by Christian teachings.

- Words are the tail wagged by the dog, and the dog is inherent morality. Words don't determine morality, but as with Christian teachings they can accurately describe what is inherently known to be right and wrong.
Christianity got it right on target intuitively specifically with 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' but it is not verified nor justified as an inherent objective moral fact.

But now it is possible for science and a credible moral FSK can verify and justify the above intuition as a fact.