Favourite movie scenes

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by attofishpi »

Walker wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:32 am His portrayals were inspiring, and he was compensated accordingly, back when the world was just, or at least pretended to be.

It was part of Sidney Poitier's philosophy. He said he would never portray a bad black man on film.
Sidney Potter was brilliant.

Sidney Potter (Only Fools & Horses) :D
https://youtu.be/NSb-dRXQbok
Walker

Post by Walker »

Funny how he was corrected with the wrong pronunciation, and immediately accepted that as the truth. A bit soft in the head. The fella looks like he's portraying a toned-down Fred Sanford.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Walker wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:05 am Funny how he was corrected with the wrong pronunciation, and immediately accepted that as the truth. A bit soft in the head. The fella looks like he's portraying a toned-down Fred Sanford.
Walker you have entirely misinterpreted the scene. (watch again)

Also, comprehend the comedy series "Only Fools & Horses" was voted THE best British comedy series EVER.

(because it is hilarious)
Walker

Post by Walker »

Fred meets a new culture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEDQG-XpCoQ

- It’s a common practice for a smart man to act dumb, so the dumber he acts the more funny.

- Folks get numbed by the American-laugh-track-need to induce infectious laughter, but maybe it’s not so American when you consider that when everyone is laughing it’s easier to laugh, even if it isn’t funny.
Walker

Post by Walker »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:13 am
Walker wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:05 am Funny how he was corrected with the wrong pronunciation, and immediately accepted that as the truth. A bit soft in the head. The fella looks like he's portraying a toned-down Fred Sanford.

Also, comprehend the comedy series "Only Fools & Horses" was voted THE best British comedy series EVER.

I didn’t watch it again. What I heard the first time was, the old man accepting that the proper pronunciation for Sidney Poitier is not Sidney Potter, but rather it’s Harry Belafonte. Therefore, soft in the head.

What did I leave out, miss, or misinterpret?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Walker wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:27 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:13 am

I didn’t watch it again. What I heard the first time was, the old man accepting that the proper pronunciation for Sidney Poitier is not Sidney Potter, but rather it’s Harry Belafonte. Therefore, soft in the head.

What did I leave out, miss, or misinterpret?
ffs. Knew I would have to spend time explaining to an idiot on the daft side of the pond.

The old man (Grandpa) NEVER accepted the correct pronunciation for SIdney Poitier (he kept insisting on POTTER!!!)

So he and his grandson Dave :wink: (Rodney) are arguing about some black fella on TV that Dell Boy enters the room and advises is Harry Belafonte.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Detectorists is one of the best things I've seen. Subtle, quirky British humour at its best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAud_H_ ... el=AcornTV
Walker

Post by Walker »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:34 am
ffs. Knew I would have to spend time explaining to an idiot on the daft side of the pond.

The old man (Grandpa) NEVER accepted the correct pronunciation for SIdney Poitier (he kept insisting on POTTER!!!)

So he and his grandson Dave :wink: (Rodney) are arguing about some black fella on TV that Dell Boy enters the room and advises is Harry Belafonte.
That's rather obvious. Duh.

However, the fellow who corrected them, and said it was Harry Belafonte, was himself incorrect. You know, you've heard one singer you've heard them all. Grandpa could have been watching Lilies of the Field, which is why he was wondering why the man he called Sidney Potter kept breaking out into song, and which is why he accepted that he wasn't watching Sidney Poitier, but rather was watching someone whose name sounded nothing like Sidney Poitier. Without that extra layer of misunderstanding that depends on the imagination and experience of the viewer, the scene is just so-so.

Of course, one of the reasons that the show is successful is because it properly defined a target audience.
Last edited by Walker on Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

The Royale with cheese scene
The Areoplane scene in Out of Africa.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Stuffing the Christmas Turkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Rabq4muu0
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:56 am Stuffing the Christmas Turkey

Ridiculous.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:01 am
Walker wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:56 am Stuffing the Christmas Turkey

Ridiculous.
I think you misspelled, Hilarious.

He took stuffing to a higher plane of consciousness.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Potter continued ...

The fellow I saw on the TV within the TV, the one who grandpa was watching, did not look like either Poitier or Belafonte, so the TV character that grandpa was watching could have been named Potter, a third party not so famous, perhaps a D-list actor who grandpa saw in some other movie.

However, when grandpa was told that the person he was watching was called Bellafonte, this totally invalidated the possibility of mispronunciation and shifted the emphasis to the Belafonte name. Belafonte could have been the correct name, because grandpa immediately stood and made adjustments to a second TV screen that was angled away from our angle of view. However, I saw no face that looked like Poitier or Belafonte on the visible-to-us screen that grandpa was watching, so it could have been Potter he was watching.

If Potter was the correct name and grandpa accepted the third opinion that the name was actually Belafonte, which sounded nothing like the second opinion of Poitier, then grandpa has no majority-opinion basis for accepting Belafonte as the correct name, and yet he quickly corrected his opinion of the name.

This means that he is either soft in the head, or he is relying on the second opinion for some unknown reason, or he recognizes that Potter is indeed the incorrect name because he now thinks that he recognizes Belafonte, when he actually could have just been mistakenly associating the second opinion with the face that he originally called Potter. Another option is that he simply wanted to invalidate the second opinion of Poitier, for any reason he could find.

Because all interpretation of perception is inference, we just don’t know for sure, but we can infer probabilities.

In the US the inference is coached by the laugh-track.
Life imitating art waded into the shallows with the laugh tracks.

(Don’t worry. Just practicing with the palette you proffered.)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Walker wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:42 am (Don’t worry. Just practicing with the palette you proffered.)
Y would I worry about wot stupid people think?

..indeed my greatest fear is not the guns they might posess, it's their posts that I have to waste my batteries on as I scroll down thru their waffle.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Laugh track ...

:lol:

Here's an idea. Introduce a worthwhile topic.