Favourite movie scenes

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:57 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:43 am Seems ridiculous now. What happened to the fat guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE0gT35 ... l=shmoople
The powers that be wouldn't allow me to watch, but I see it's about The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which I never saw.

gaffo is always reminding me just how few movies I've seen.
Really Walker? you honur me.

I'll list a few - you might have seem them or not but wil llist cuas i love good movie. many are foreign just so you know.

1. Color of Paradise.
2. Song of Sparrows
3 Children of Heaven

the above 3 by one mane Majid Majedi - iranin guy top 5 directer living today imo.

4. Valentin
5. 9 queens (4 and 5 are Argintine - Recardo Derin is in #5 great agie actor).....there was an american remake with brad pitt - heard it sucked so never wathced it).

6. Zelery (chech)
7. Dark Blue World (buy saem directer that made Kolya - also a good movie but not as good as DBW imo).

8 Final Days of Sophie Shcoll - sad, buty ture story of a german girl beheaded for treason in 1943.
9. The Lives of OThers - bst movie ever? maybe (germans arer great in movie making imo)
10. The Tunnel - alos german about the berlin wall in the 60's with Sabastan ?Kck - great actor who was alon in the above lvies of othres.
11. Downfall - Bruno Ganz was Hitler - sad to hear he died a few years ago - he was dynamic in the role as Hitler.

12. going back a few yrs - french, The Wages of Far (there was a remake american with Roy Shider - Sorcerer - but the remake is not eveen close to the original)

13. Battle of Algiers - - many think its was a 60's french movie - but the french wanted no part in it due to national pride via the algeirn wars - the directer was french, but the prodution was italian.

14. CEntral Station (walter sales? - good director brazilian).

15. August evening - independant movie by mex american - foregt his nam - simple sory like a Tree Grows in Brooklyn ad the Apu Tillogy - about simple folks living on the land striving for a future.

16. Apu Trillogy - all are great - and ys "slows" if you have adhd - but about real folks - the trillogy was grat - but they get better with each movie - buy the Bengali guy whats his name..........................i know my bad he is a movie god - Corsazi(sp) got his insteration from watching his movies and so made the Godfather series due to hmi) - sorry my mem sucks i can't rem his name ;-(. ----------sothing Ray - i partial rememeber now. Sunyest(sp) Ray.......
17. The Hunt - danish movie not hte ameircan one of same name that came out later - about a good guy being deemed "perv" for being a guy..................and its a close to home sociel statement to all males today - imo.

18. 12 yrs a Salve - by Stever McQeen -nice name btw - wo did the almost as good "Hunger" prior.

19. Zodiac - the only top 20 from "hollywood" via the diirector of Seven and fight Club.all of Finchers works are excellent of course. - so far at least.

20 No County of old men deserse honourable mention as excellent - along with Fargo to - so Coen bros are tops - usualy.

Walker i know you like ccomodies - I'm a drama guy - so i knows less about comdey, Allen, Kubrick (STranglove) - i love, but my "bag" is drama and war films. so darker - so all i aan recommned are the darker dramas due to my bbias. just sayin here.

2-cents.

oh forgot about Matwan - finally offerd on bluray after 30 yrs of fotternness - a top movie for sure!

Spiteire Grill and Smke Signals are tow movies - along with Ordinary People - that never got a blueray after 30 yrs...........but at least By Bodyguard did ;-/.

for me movies are all about the human universal condition - not tribe or relgioon. if i can be placd in thier shoes i bacome thme and so i like - i loathe preaching to - and why i think FEull Metal Jacket is mils better than Platoon. imo.

-------------------

serouly Walker - if you like movie, try the foreign ones - they are better in genreal.

i speak oly of the drmas not comedies, so take my advise as you shall here.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

I*'m more sobor today than lest week - lol, got shtfaced, not good in any way. had too mand beers before me last week.

les sht face today - thankfully.

only lightly drunk. intened to keep it that way.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

gaffo wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:47 pm
Your comment says otherwise....
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:56 pm
if you say so it must be so.
vegetariantaxidermy

gaffo wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:11 am
I'm not judging. Actually I can't stand 'proud teetotalers'. All the best people have been drunkards, mainly thinkers who find life unbearable otherwise.

And you are right to prefer 'foreign' films. American films are horribly written for the most part, with acting so obvious you can practically see the Hollywood acting coaches standing next to the actors (apparently they nearly all have the same teacher), and actors so self-conscious and vain that they are scared to show emotion lest it makes their face look less attractive.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:23 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:11 am

I'm not judging. Actually I can't stand 'proud teetotalers'. All the best people have been drunkards, mainly thinkers who find life unbearable otherwise.

And you are right to prefer 'foreign' films. American films are horribly written for the most part, with acting so obvious you can practically see the Hollywood acting coaches standing next to the actors (apparently they nearly all have the same teacher), and actors so self-conscious and vain that they are scared to show emotion lest it makes their face look less attractive.
well, we agree a first? or maybe second. its a beginning at least.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker

Post by Walker »

gaffo wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:29 pm
serouly Walker - if you like movie, try the foreign ones - they are better in genreal.

i speak oly of the drmas not comedies, so take my advise as you shall here.
I worked halfway through the list looking for one included with the current paid movie services until I finally one, but was distracted by more pressing concerns, so the sampling is still a work in progress. Thanks for all the references. Before I pay to rent one I'll read a bit about it.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Rounders - Final Poker scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLgEs6hjbGg
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:25 am Rounders - Final Poker scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLgEs6hjbGg
John Malkovich is always good to watch.
Walker

Post by Walker »

I watched this one season series on Netflix called Midnight Mass. It was so horrible, so sacriligeous, so anti-Christian, I checked to see if Obama had a hand in it. You know, to take Americans down a notch or two from their “high horse,” as he once chided while in office.

I found no record of his direct involvement with the Midnight Mass horror show. However, that makes sense for a behind-the-curtain guy, which he is now, what with so much of his former administration in power, including the Biden strings he pulls.

I’d venture that his intent and influence, other than for collecting barrels of money, is now pointed towards rewriting history.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90663723/ba ... obamaganda
Walker

Post by Walker »

Hmmm.

It’s no wonder Leftists get such crazy notions.
They’re conditioned “under the radar,” so to speak.
Emotion is often an unguarded gateway to the mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vO-XDUiRqU
(Advisory: violence)

The point of posting the scene in a philosophy forum is the monologue speech, not the savage violence.
Walker

Post by Walker »

John D. MacDonald wrote Cape Fear. Great writer, but he didn’t put any of the religious implications into the book. Someone else did that, in the movie.

Now really. Ask yourself, Why?

I recommend the Travis McGee series of stories … quite entertaining. Do a binge if you haven’t read them ‘cause they’re like candy with nuggets of gold, 26 or 27 of them, as I recall from the days of bookstores.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

Hot Rod's transformation, into Rodimus Prime, at the climax of Transformers The Movie; a why are you showing me this, it was its present in its day-type of theme
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Walker wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:07 pm Now really. Ask yourself, Why?
Michael Medved covered this years ago.

It's anti-religious (and particularly anti-Christian) propagandizing. You see it over and over in the movies and on TV.

Let's suppose you're introduced to a character in the first five minutes of a movie. He's religious, devout, and morally intense. He seems almost super-humanly "pure" in his devotion. He mouths a few religious platitudes right away, like "Well, God is with us," and he is famous for his charity work or his success as a preacher or his children's charity. For the main character, he seems to be the one entirely-trusted person.

Wait a few minutes, and he will be "exposed" to be the villain. Perhaps he will be draining money from the unsuspecting. Perhaps he will be sexually creepy. Or perhaps he will turn out to be some sort of vindictive, self-appointed "angel of wrath," -- and probably a pedophile as well.

One thing for sure: you're not going to be invited to keep liking or trusting that character. He's going to turn out to be evil, and his faith is going to be exposed as a sham. That's how Hollywood plays it...almost every single time. It's like they don't even want to explore the lived experience of anybody who has a sincere faith, because they don't believe there's any such thing AS a sincere faith.

Maybe it's just because they look on their own hearts, and what they find there they want to impute to everyone else. But more likely, it's just outright hatred of the whole possibility of somebody who sincerely believes something and tries to live it.

Michael Medved, by the way, is an orthodox Jewish person.