Favourite movie scenes

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by Walker »

Intensity in film is unleashing the primal.
Gandolfini is (was) good with the intensity and balances it well with vulnerable affectations, makes for good craft.

In life and film intensity takes the form of:

Voice energy … that’s the delivery. Impassioned speech. Lots of actors can do it.

Mind energy … the written dialogue. Pulp Fiction, Fight Club. It doesn’t have to be profound or even accurate as evidenced from reality by Obama’s content whenever he speaks. A hook helps ... "Royale with cheese," rather than fromage. Or perhaps "shovel ready jobs," which takes on a different meaning in Gangster context.

Body energyhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItmoXncdURQ

Combine all three and you get … Stella!
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:44 am
attofishpi wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:48 am
gaffo wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:22 am

RIP Sam Shepard - underrated actor.

so why do you love this movie and what is its story?
I don't like the Mafia but I like Mafia films, especially if there is some dark humour - as is in this film.

The two characters in the clip ripped off a mafia run poker game - and they are a tad under the score.
I saw the list of actors you wrote there, so I had to watch it. Long dialogues like Tarantino popularized, balanced by the graphic violence. It centers around the Pitt character dealing with people who have self-sabotaged their situations and God-given capacities in one way or another. Pitt uses the same congenial smug persona as in Oceans 11, 12, and so on. Uses it to good effect for when he has to let the social mask slip and represent himself against his clients. I'm not sure he was convincing when the mask slipped, if it had the impact. Seems like balancing the Cool may have held him back. May watch it again for that moment of truth.

The Oz actor plays a convincing derelict.

Related to that, a lot of people who saw an early Samuel Jackson movie thought he was a crackhead hired for the part.
Tarantino is the most over\ted director of all time - and Nolan IMO - his Resevpr Dogs was a good movie - his best - the rest is just more of the same - and each movie becomes less. he is not all that good - imo- like res dogs, and even ture lies - as "ok" - the rest is just crap - so he is now what now 60? and his movis are still adulcet in mentality. so with age one is not mandated to become wise - some old guys diewith adulecent minds - and vise versa - there are wise kids out their - if only they had the meansa nd drive to tell a story adn make a great movie. (but will the audience of dumbd down american even se the peril before the swine - at this piont i no longer thinks so ;-(.

per dialog - threr are 10's of other directors with equal or better dialog than Terrantino:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqnD_165Ow4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq0SETWIO8U

Hunger was by the same directer as 7 yrs slave - the latter the best mvoie of the last 20 yrs - Zodiac (Fincher the second - finchers alien 3 was crap - but he learned from his crap and moved up to one of the bet directors of all time).
Walker

Post by Walker »

gaffo wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:12 pm
Tarantino is the most over\ted director of all time - and Nolan IMO - his Resevpr Dogs was a good movie - his best - the rest is just more of the same
He's all about dialogue, and very good at it. Inane dialogue balancing violent action producing weird juxtapositions.

Fight Club did the same thing.

So do the Coen Brothers.

So does a lot of life. :shock:

A strange Coen Bros. movie, but I repeat myself.
This fellow is quite affable, even when he's not.

(violence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_XLQDeYqpE
paigetheoracle

Post by paigetheoracle »

How about TV series? The opening scene of 'The Prisoner' created by Patrick McGoohan and with music by Ralph Smart.

'China Town' and she's my sister and my daughter interchange, between Faye Dunnaway and Jack Nicholson, plus the saltwater in the pond realisation about the murder, plus who can forget Roman Polanski's nose slitting attack on Jake Gittes?

Almost any scene in the 'Alien' franchise, except for 'Aliens' and the third in the series ('Prometheus' was as creepy as the first film, if not more so because of it involving invasion of the body by unseen entities: I remember a B movie that was as grisly as this, where a Nazi scientist living alone on an island, slipped a shipwrecked sailor a mickey finn, containing flesh eating life forms).
Walker

Post by Walker »

gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:51 pm
gaffo wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:12 pm
Tarantino is the most over\ted director of all time - and Nolan IMO - his Resevpr Dogs was a good movie - his best - the rest is just more of the same
He's all about dialogue, and very good at it. Inane dialogue balancing violent action producing weird juxtapositions.

Fight Club did the same thing.

So do the Coen Brothers.

So does a lot of life. :shock:

A strange Coen Bros. movie, but I repeat myself.
This fellow is quite affable, even when he's not.

(violence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_XLQDeYqpE
i like coens and fincher better than tarrantino - they make better movies. and a agre about dialog and all three are good per particualr scenes, but the better of good scene dialog is a good script - an overall good dialog.

where most of Woody allen excelled and the script wititters of "All about Eve" - sory I'mm to ignorant of who wrote the script of that movie or even the director - or the particulars of who gave whom the power to allow the scrpit. but that movie is the top per dialog overall.

with character development too - tarrantine is nice with a quip, but sucks per character devolopment, story or even social commentary. - all flash, but no fire underneath.

imo of course.

coans lack social commentary and even chracter deevelopment but had plenty of dark humor - Blood Simple was the best black comedy ever made.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Hey there gaffo. What I did on my summer vacation ... and what it means to me. That does appear to be the point of philosophically mentioning anything, for when I find what it means to me and express that, then something in the expression may mean something to someone, in some way unbeknownst to me, and for the good film makers that's where the script begins to veer into art, for art can elicit intended emotions in the witness who then becomes a participant ... as opposed to just any random emotion, which is all a relevant and therefore engaging portal into philosophy.

The silent reactions to the entertaining trapper in the stagecoach by the other characters are brilliant, so much centers around the odors, which is surely the way it must have been. The two men sitting side-by-side are man hunters, dead or alive. They are sympathetically engaged with the old trapper's need and having seen so much of death, which is the connecting thread for the six vignettes organized by the Coens, they have seemingly endless and appropriate, polite attention. Had to be polite in the Old West, or be willing to deal with the consequences.

The vignette about The Meal Ticket is amazing, and there are reasons for that. Too bad it's not shown isolate, on youtube.

The song of the man hunter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc0zPPEW650
Walker

Post by Walker »

Authentic Frontier Gibberish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6xyV68KN5A
Walker

Post by Walker »

More excellent dialogue ...

Old Timer Wisdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4if32z7FWO4
Walker

Post by Walker »

gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker whats up?

Understanding we have different tastes (with much in common too) - i wish to thank you for having taste and knowing a good film from the garbage that passes such today. too few have our sense of taste, sadly.

same with music, and probably art as well.

;-(.

but hey! you and i know shit when we see, hear it!!!!!!!!!! even if millions of other don't.

;-/.
Walker

Post by Walker »

gaffo wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:35 am Walker whats up?

Understanding we have different tastes (with much in common too) - i wish to thank you for having taste and knowing a good film from the garbage that passes such today. too few have our sense of taste, sadly.

;-(.

but hey! you and i know shit when we see, hear it!!!!!!!!!! even if millions of other don't.

;-/.
I don't know ... gaffo.

Who could dispute this brilliance, let alone millions of whos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkAjF5shNdw

I do see something in it that perhaps you don’t, so I’ll share. The second sound made by Chief Broom is, “Ahhh.” Did you know that throughout time some folks have carved that into rock, and into their being? Isn’t the world amazing?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

I think the name of the movie was "God on Trial" but I can't remember too well now. Anyway, my favorite scene is when the Jewish prisoners at Auschwitz give the verdict that God is not a good god rather he was just on their side (at least was once upon a time).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:25 pm
gaffo wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:35 am Walker whats up?

;-(.

;-/.
Walker wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:25 pm I don't know ... gaffo.

Who could dispute this brilliance, let alone millions of whos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkAjF5shNdw

ah Juiceyfruit! one flew is in my top 10 of all time - only saw it as a kid in the 70's and loved it then - but bought the bluray 5 yrs ago and loved it as much as back then - so its good - not just good becaus of my kid glasses. good - no more than good GRAT - objectively.

Samson something or vise versa (i'm apologize to Samsom - for not rem his name first or last) - I ran accros a Youtube comment last moth - in an utterly unrelated topic - mem os poor so not sure what topic - i have several interests and troll the YT channels - anyway i ran accross a post about "samson" as being this guy's uncle - said he was a nice guy, knew him and was a rodeo rider from Muskogee, well thats kewl since i'm an okie, love rodeos and know that another actor - still alive? - i hope - hav not checkd in the last 2 yrs though- Clue Galager - also one o fthe great actors - like samson - totally underrrated - and from muskogee.

big indian guy died too young - 49?50? ;-(.........sad, but one never knows when the bell tolls. never assume you shall be alive tommorrow - hope - sure - but to assuem - no - even if in fab health a car can take you out on the way to work. so humility is apt per this idea imo.

just be greatfull for the today, and hope for a tomorrow/s.

so 5 easy peices is not as good as one flew? - i asked you 5? months ago about 5 - and you said it was good but not great. if it is not as good as one flew i shall not bother to spend my cion on the bluray of 5. i value my money am frugal, but willing to spend on the top tops of films - as i did for one flew over.

BTW thanks for that one clip - its the best in the whole movie and the rest of the movie is tops - so top top tops - and how i knew you knew your sit Sir.

it is lonely though - to know good films while so many do not - we are a lonely breed sadly. "pearls before swine" ;-(........now I'm getting depressed, but i thank you for seeign the pearls and not being a swine, even if we are few in number .............we must carry the flame as long as we can ;-/. ven if others of no taste ridicule us.

--BTW I'm parlty drink, too drunk to spell-ish if sober (slightly dyslexic) - but drunk enough to not fuck around to edit the above - so you can read between my many many shit spellings above - and knowing your character you will not hold or inslut me (veg anyone?) - over them.

Walker wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:25 pm I do see something in it that perhaps you don’t, so I’ll share.
The second sound made by Chief Broom is, “Ahhh.”

I noticed it when viewing the film, and above - and now see you did as well - interesting. I think samson/cheif is reflecting upon his childhood and liking juiceyfruit gum year before as a kid. and still liking it now (I hate gum myself - lol)

Walker wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:25 pm Did you know that throughout time some folks have carved that into rock, and into their being? Isn’t the world amazing?

?????????????? don't follow what you are saying, wlecome clarification.

IMO "Men" ave been the same as we are today for 300,000 yrs (1/3 million) - and before mostly man mor then animal for 3 million prior. cave carving and paintings have been found from 50,000 yrs to 20,00 yrs - as well a jewelry (the latter has been found on Neanderthal bones - so they value jewelry (they alsoe beried their dead like "us").

I rem getting pissed 30 yrs ago then anthropologists decleared than Home sepians were the only "humans" and the only "humans" with valued art and wer"pure" (like 30,000 BC versions of NAZI - never fuck a Russian/ur neanderthal) - thne 15 yr ago all of the sudden via tech dna - the mantra the onle human is homo sapains - morphed into - well since the sapaims fucked the neandethal (and denesovans) - damn we now have to make them human as well - grudgingly.

well that minset if fucked up nazi. rusians are a human as germans.

different speices - or sub species - but have have the same "soul" - that of a man.

can you imagine the strife this would today would have if the neaderthal and denosovans were alive today - vs what we have instead? (black, white, oirental sapians) - intead of racsism within our species we would have it outside of (yet all are still men) - in a way we lucked out that they died out per just viewing our hhistroy of treatment to "the other" within our speices.

it could ahve been otherwise - today we could have 3 species of humans walking the land - if you know the timeline youd know this would be probable.

neaderthal, sapians, denesovans and erectus lived from 21/2 million yrs to opnly 20,000 yr ago.

anyway I ranted and digressed,

thaks for having taste and apreciation fo rthe arts.