Favourite movie scenes

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by gaffo »

Dalek Prime wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:23 am Hey gaffo, why post about movies. Aren't they things that, amongst everything else, dont really exist to you?
yes they are. thanks for using the other moniker, see you noted my post to you (me) in other thread (you are fast! sir).

do you (I?) have anything else to contribute?

you (me?) have any good movie to recommend?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Dalek Prime wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:23 am Hey gaffo, why post about movies. Aren't they things that, amongst everything else, dont really exist to you?
movies exist - along with everthing else via me (and created by me?).

you really do not understand the concept of Solipsism do you (me?).
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

gaffo wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:28 am

Why would I understand solipsism? Your imagination hasn't allowed me to understand it. :|

And another thing? Stop arguing with yourself.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

gaffo wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:25 am
yes they are. thanks for using the other moniker, see you noted my post to you (me) in other thread (you are fast! sir).

Why would I recommend a movie to the one person who created them all in his mind? You'd already know them all.

Oh. I hate to be a snitch on yourself, but your mind just called you a loon. Which, if I existed, I would contradict, and say it's being generous.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Dalek Prime wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:45 am

Why would I recommend a movie to the one person who created them all in his mind? You'd already know them all.

I don't know them all until i create them via you and others or myself at latter time.

as stated in other thread, my lack of omnipotent control of movies/reality right now in no way proves you/movies exist outside of me.

BTW they don't for all practical (or in Truth? - i make no claim for the later - just affirm empircism - so practically speaking movies/you do not exist out of me) purposes.

Dalek Prime wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:23 am Oh. I hate to be a snitch on yourself, but your mind just called you a loon. Which, if I existed, I would contradict, and say it's being generous.
nice snark,. you are still clueless about Solipsism.

i've no prob with being a loon, most thinkers are.

guess that leave you out? you a philosophy major? of so, good luck. lol.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

gaffo wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:24 amno prob, I'll get around to googling the perps current fate. thanks for reply. It seems you value universal human conditions/and characters in movies about such. seems all to rare today (the bridge is about suicide - and that act is selfish - but being too close to that mentality myself 20 yrs ago - do not assume "they" think about their acts of ending life upon others" - they don't (I do not judge - being their close enough to have no wish to return nor judge (and still a depressant by nature to remain humble in all things - including judgment of others/their actions).
Ya, around 2003 for me.
I think I'll give The Bridge a miss.
gaffo wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:24 amI understand the concept - via Catholism that God gives to morals - life - that it is selfish and acting was one's own god to remove self life - as a form of pride) - but though correct in theory, it misses the mindset of those in the mire, and so callout the concept of condemnation of those that remove their life playing demigod (power to remove their life, but not self create it decades prior) - and strive to be more humble myself.
Yes, I was brought up through a Catholic school upbringing, even though my parents weren't particularly religious. Really enjoyed the hymn singing and learned a lot about turning the other cheek, and helping those in need. On the whole, I wouldn't have wanted a different school system (apart from secondary school where it was boys only - ridiculous)
gaffo wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:24 amI rewatched, The Pledge BTW - took notes and will relate them later.
...oh shit, lookout. :)
gaffo wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:24 amjust note that i noted for the first time the soundtrack of The Pledge is excellent I may buy the CD of (how did i miss this the 2 or so othertimes i viewed it? - I noted Fargo and The Player and bought Burwells' and Newman's CD's work therein (Burwell also did Bloodsimple - excellent Noir with black humour - as Fargo had), newman did "man in black" (a third remake of "death takes holiday").
Loved the film Fargo. Also love Season 1 and Season 3 of the TV series - forget Season 2.
Season 1 had Billy Bob Thornton at his finest as a psychopath!
gaffo wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:24 amso you are a POM? - that an acronym? if so what does it spellout? curious.
Australians refer to the English as POMs and I would therefore be a Pommy or Pom. The most common reason I have heard is it originates from Prisoner Of Mother England (POME).
gaffo wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:24 amno need to reply to my inquary - i respect prvacy - just curious of where abouts you are in Australia,
Adelaide mate.
gaffo wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:24 amI'm a liberal stuck in America's bible belt - OK - and lived in TX decades prior the same bible belt) - but islands of Liberalism, Norman now, Austin prior, so not all bad.
I love both States, though not their directions politically/mentally in general since 1990 (prior both states were Democratic on mindset (as i was an am)---"new" dems (pol correctness/identity pol i hate - so no longer a reg dem)- but hate God old Party theocracy of Repugiklans (that party is now Trump party) too. "we" threw off " devine reich of Kings to rule over us 230 yrs ago!
as did you and your NZ newighbors and the Canadians - 100 yr later and without blood.
i note this and respect (Brits of course now longer do either - no wait, they apparently do via the Brexit vote/mentality).
The Bible Belt eh? Ooh I shudder at the thought - all those nutjob Evangelists talk about Fund-a-mental-list. No wonder there is a militancy about atheism these days.
btw. You were interested in my views re God/'God' - of course there is the thread I did end up starting:- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25753&p=389047#p389047 contains the argument for 'God' - as A.I. This form of the argument I can tackle a militant atheist far better, however, since a sage introduced himself from the aether in 2005 and what I have been told about God, I actually still believe, what I know to be God, as 'divine' and I remain a Christian - a follower of Christ's intentions in the Gospels.

Since knowing it exists since 1997, I have argued:-
1. Divine God - an intelligence that formed from the chaos of the early universe and formed our reality.
2. A.I. 'God' - an intelligence created by intelligence species to project\simulate a reality more efficiently with the progression of entropy.

If you like art - they say a picture paints a thousand words my site: www.androcies.com - Enter through the middle section link (Beyond Reasonable Doubt?)

This isn't the thread for this stuff gaffo, but you're welcome to fire any questions at me in the thread above.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

gaffo wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:04 am
Dalek Prime wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:45 am

I don't know them all until i create them via you and others or myself at latter time.

as stated in other thread, my lack of omnipotent control of movies/reality right now in no way proves you/movies exist outside of me.

BTW they don't for all practical (or in Truth? - i make no claim for the later - just affirm empircism - so practically speaking movies/you do not exist out of me) purposes.

Dalek Prime wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:23 am Oh. I hate to be a snitch on yourself, but your mind just called you a loon. Which, if I existed, I would contradict, and say it's being generous.
nice snark,. you are still clueless about Solipsism.

i've no prob with being a loon, most thinkers are.

guess that leave you out? you a philosophy major? of so, good luck. lol.
You meant, 'I think I am a philosophy major'? And who would teach you?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dalek Prime wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:42 am

Why would I understand solipsism? Your imagination hasn't allowed me to understand it. :|

Hey stop gaffo bashing you!! He's a mate of mine! :D
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:11 am

Only in his mind, he is.

Hey, gaffo. You reminded me of I sign I read in a diner not too long ago.... 'If I agreed with you, two people would be wrong'.

Solipsism is another term for infantile egotism.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

[/quote]

re-watched the movie and took notes - lol:

will address below:
attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:57 pm
Correct me if i'm wrong, but Nickelson did know toward the end, the son of that fat woman, that he was the perp? But he needed to catch the perp in the act?

no, he was clueless - target fixated, and missed the real perp.

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:57 pm It was obvious the son would have been top of the list -
yes, Nicholson was a good cop and like you or me would have thought "the son" (Gary Jackson) was the perp. drove a blue-black wagon and had a the fat mom that made porcupine floor maps and boot shins (whatever that is)........note these are wood items/maps not candies.

but i'd miss that too - and be fixated upon the bald Gary as Nicholson was (and wrong).

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:57 pm since the chocolate porcupines,

there were porcupine chocolates (and reaview car mirror figurines)- nicholson knew not of nor saw either in the movie - he was not aware of them.

the former was a product of the "land of christmas" candy store - where the retarded women worked and the assumed owner was Oliver (the real killer) - review the movie he is only show in a pan shot at 35:45 (35 min 45 sec - 2 sec shot of - in window at back of store) - never shown agian (other than back of head shots a couple of time via inside his station wagon (lic plate 394-VWN) - Christnut Gary/fat mom's bald son's lic plate was 976-TNV - and Oliver's wagon was more boxy and like the little girls drawing, unlike the less boxy wagon of Fat Mom's bald kid's car.

attofishpi wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:57 pm but he couldn't have the scum arrested, since he needed to prove it to the law -especially since the arrested dude that had admitted to it at the outset was dead.

Wathanah (indian guy) was railroaded by the lesser cop (who did not have the brains to secure buttons for the girls coat (Nickolson was the better cop, and so reminded the poor cop about it), and lack the mind to defend himself rationally - and dies due to it. he killing himself was a weak part of the film, i see the railroad, and getting shot by cops after taking a gun, but shooting self, no, not realistic even for a retarded fella.

but i digress

killed girl's grandmother (and piano teacher) lived "2 doors down and over the electronics store" from "land of christmas" candy store, and grandmother when she did not make cookies for/ took her grandaughter to "land of christmas" for chocolate porcupies - and so Oliver who worked there/owned noted of and later killed.

FALSE LEAD: - fat mom/bald kid Gary: 1:17 (hour:min)

due to the wooden porcupine mom made. Nicholson note's Gary while leaving mom's home - and notes his car - a blue wagon!

1:25 (hour:min) - creepy Gary tries to convert/save Chrissy while driving snowplow/making snowman - Nicholson sees this and become convinced his is the perp (he my be that, but not the killer - lol).

1:32 Jerry (Nicholson) - hes a good guy, but allows his obsession to overule morality (may even be a subconscious thing here) - places the swing set next tot he street (to use Chrissy as bait (i think subconsciously myself) - even offers to move it to backyard when Robin Wright-Pen quasi protest, but then gives in and so the swing stays in frontyard (on street). Jerry is placing his girlfriend's kid in danger in order to catch the killer - not conscously IMO - but doing so nonetheless.

thus he forfits too much pity for the plight he ends up with at the end of the movie.

1:36 Gary Christnut give chrissy glow in the dark jesus cross.

1:37 Jerry sees this and says (now knowing consciously what up - and knows he is using chrissy as bait) "if any tall man talk to you tell me, promise?"

Oliver "on the prowl" below:

1:41:58 sec - shot of Oliver's Wagon with licence plate 394-VWN

1:42:49 sec - shot of Oliver's rearview mirror porcupine (not chocolate - and so prob made by Gary christnut's mom)

1:43:26 sec Oliver sees chrissy on swing in street - they meet for the first time.

THAT EVENING (note Chrissy met Gary several times months earlier - GARY is not OLIVER (Oliver is not even in the movie!!!!!!!!! - Gary is - the former is the killer the latter is just creepy - lol).

1:44:24 chrissy says to Jerry "I met the wizzard today, its a secret, don't tell or he will not return, I had to promise not to tell my parents" She tells Jerry - for literally he is not her dad, now he knows!...........and so the stakout the next day (Jerry(nicholson) thinking he's got Gary!).

1:45:11 sec chrissy show jerry the chocolate porcupines Oliver gave her - he thinks they are a product of fat mom - not the "land of chrismass" store.

---------------

next day:

1:48:40 Oliver leaves the "land of christmas" store (shows the door-bells jingle) - retarded women (sister prob?) cries out "oliver where you been hiding them chocolates"?..........

1:49:30 Oliver going to meet his prey (shot of backend of wagon leaving..........then one over a bridge toward the picnic rondevous with is kiddie.

1:49:55 another shot of rearview mirror porcupine inside Oliver's car.

1:51 cops losing patience, stating to think jerry has lost it, end stakeout.

1:53 Stan (poor cop) - tell mother Robin Wright Pen about Jerry placing her kid in danger.

1:53:10 Oliver buys it - driving too fast (hoping to get to Chrissy sooner?) in blind turn, loggin trunk obliterates him.

none the wiser.

except God and Oliver - the latter burned to charcoal 1:56 - 1:57

1:57:34 shot of porcupine inside burned car - for the dense in the audience (those that could not figure out who died a min earlier).

1:59:44 Jerry as a drunk is still obsessed and convinced its Gary "he is comming".............nope he died and knowbody notice (nor ever know he was the killer - prob died a piller of the community).

Justice was done - only knowbody noticed, including Jerry - now lest with is obsession. ;-/.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

three recommended movies - were hosted on my YT channel yrs ago before removed.

can be found here (utterly forgotten today, never offered on VHS or DVD):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAB7vZYiEXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lETdpRBlc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZohteoC9aY
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

another one - never offered on DVD - only on VHS in 80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDJvJiDcouU

Yevette Mimiex(sp) version (best version BTW)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7zAvD3G4cc
Walker

Post by Walker »

The "little bitty spot" speech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTdjoA8HeAM

Great writing and acting.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:07 am
Ya, around 2003 for me.
I think I'll give The Bridge a miss.

I understand - appreciate your candor, you have both a mind and a heart, and little ego - qualities it personally stive for and fail most times - but still strive.

i wecome conversions - from an Atheist to a Christian - i never was anti=YHWH - nor Christ nor Allah or Vishnu,

in otherwords, i could not care less which god one believes in - for me their character matters not the god they warship.

to date.......for the posts i noted since being here 1 yr ago, you seem of good character, and so i welcome conversation about things that matter.
gaffo wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:24 amI understand the concept - via Catholism that God gives to morals - life - that it is selfish and acting was one's own god to remove self life - as a form of pride) - but though correct in theory, it misses the mindset of those in the mire, and so callout the concept of condemnation of those that remove their life playing demigod (power to remove their life, but not self create it decades prior) - and strive to be more humble myself.

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:07 am Yes, I was brought up through a Catholic school upbringing, even though my parents weren't particularly religious. Really enjoyed the hymn singing and learned a lot about turning the other cheek, and helping those in need. On the whole, I wouldn't have wanted a different school system (apart from secondary school where it was boys only - ridiculous)
I have nothing against Roman Catholics overall i think their view is an accurate one of Christianity in general, just noted my view on suicide in the particular - and so for real world - disargee with.

I love not history in general and religous history - and so thing the Orthodox (greek/russian/armenian - post 778? or whenever the RCC split from the OC) had the clearest picture of the "Christianity/Christ" - perosnally think that the picture of Christ was one of a Nationalist Jew tired of Roman rule, and the cause trouble and was killed by said Romans )and Deified later (and Jews were blaimed for his death - rather than the real killers the Romans).

but i digress, per history I personally think the Orthodox Cathollic - rather than Roman Catholic - have the most accurate view of Christ today.

I think the Ebionites had the correct view of the man personally, but they died off 1800 yrs ago - so not Ebiontites to call upon today, the next closest IMO - per surviving theology about Christ - would be the Orthodox, then your Roman, then your Protestants.

gaffo wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:24 amso you are a POM? - that an acronym? if so what does it spellout? curious.
Australians refer to the English as POMs and I would therefore be a Pommy or Pom. The most common reason I have heard is it originates from Prisoner Of Mother England (POME).

thanks for reply - i love learning now things!!!!!!!!!!!

"Australians" above - you are one? - and so not English? - you are of via decent? - and so no more English than I am.

you are full bore Australian, as I am American - neither born in England.

yes?

----

as for "Australians" refering to you as a POM? - who/whom? Australianeze? or others with similar family history as your own? - either way they are full of shit, since post 1850 or so "Europeans" moved to your land outnumbered the original inhabitants!!!!!!!!! so since 150 yrs ago you and your "kind" outnumbered others living in the same land! - you are NOT a Prisoner of the land you call home, and your motherland is not England!!!!!!!!!!!!

i.e. your home is Australia, not more nor less than the children of the first folks there 50,000 yrs ago!!!!!!!!!

I affirm this mindset myself! (I hate tribalism and PC crap - and affirrm universal humanity - I'm no less an American than my American Indian brothers (I refuse to use "native american" for them and not me - I'm as native as they are being born here - so use the "racsist" term AI)

you are Aussie, not more nor less than the offspring of those that found your land 50.000 yrs ago.

I hate PC - it champions Race/Culture over Humanity. ;-(.

I wish the party (Democrats) i used to be registered to 25 yrs ago would remove itself of this Balkanized mentality - and re-affirm what it did prior (70's melting pot - all the same "humans/humanity) - yes I'm a "Globalist" - kf the top 1-percenters.

but affirm commonality of mankind and the UN as a body for supporting Rule of Law.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:11 am

I thank you, you seem a good guy and until otherwise shown will continue in thinking so.

welcome disscussion - esp your Faith/Christianity per your personal views - welcome understanding from others as door to my expansion of wisdom.

not or ever been into bashing Reiigion - I value all of them as an Athiest (and one of the Old School - not the egoist types of latter ilk Dawkins .

I'm a disciple of the clear minded athiest of 19th century Paui Carus.

those of good character affirm said moral codex, religious dicks be they Christian. Jews (plenty in Kyrat Arba today), or Muslim - show thier thier nature (which transends there their codex of faith).

character trumps religion.