Favourite movie scenes

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:39 am Thanks for those titles and suggestions, gaffo.

What did you think of Slumdog Millionaire?
never saw it - nor interest in - seemed a "feel good movie about rags to riches" - might be a great movie, but the premise seemed too pat for me (pat is my first name BTW - prefer anonymity on the net - but just stating this because you replied to me and seem honest in your reply and value reciprocity) "gaffo" is part of my last name too - lol.

anyway.....................I'm not a big fan of modern Indian movies - since 2000 or so seems to be like the american hollywood "escapism" (bollywood) - instead of the uniserval humanity vision all good movie directors have (but don't get funding for to make said movies).

ie. modern Bollywood (indian) movies are shit IMO. escapist pap.

last good indian movie as saw as "water" - 7 or so (good enough for you to watch if you can find it) - has john abraham (looks like my cousin - lol), and Lisa Ray (a cutie for sure - candian/indian dual citizen).

last good indian movies IMO date to at least the 70s - maybe even before.

Satyajit Ray's Apu Trilogy - 3 movies that were filmed in the 1950's - first one is SLOW (but for me slow does not mean bad - i don't need explosions to maintian interest if i like the character..............so first move of me is good and also slow (i cry over "durga" - that scene when the niebhor shows up.............and durga is there on the bed (will not say more - you will have to rent/view the film).................the second film has one of the best death (not that there is anything "Best" (but death is a human condition and so part of life) about death) seens (the whole "birds taking flight (birds flying represent the charater's soul(death leaving body) when the main character dies when he drinks of water of the ganges(sp).

3rd of the trillogy is the best - you see the love between the main character (Apu as an adult) and his wife ....................it ends in tradegy.................but not really Apu and his son (who he hates for reason one can understand - can't ellaborate moreso without ruining the movie - you will have to rent all three and watch in order (if you wish of course)...............

great stuff.

BTW Satyajit Ray's modern sucessor is Majid Majidi (Iranian)

Children of Heaven, Color of Paradise, Song of Sparrows.

all about ordinary pleabs striving for a better life. all have character we like and can identify with.

thanks for reply! BTW I gave up on hollywood films 30 yrs ago.

long back they made good films like original Planet of Ages, Rollerball, Soilent Green.............etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,with a "social statement" (but subtle - not beating you over the head with the obvious).................i simply do not bother with new stuff (cut cable TV 20 ys ago also - when IFC stopped showing films like White Balloon - without commercials (good movie btw - similar to Children of Heaven and also Iranian)

I've stumbled across a few decent movies since the old times - 7 yrs a Slave (director of made earlier film Hunger - which i watched pior so knew his latter 7 yrs might be good, Zodiac, and The King's Speech....................all now 10 yr ago or so sadly.

I've not been in a theater since "Ender's Game" - which was a decent movie and nearly as good as the book i read 25 yrs prior...failed at box office ("people have no taste" IMO....................and why Firefly was cancelled 18 yrs ago when it should have had 5 more years on TV.

anyway..............

thanks for reply and i hope you take the time to view the above foriegn movie titles.

I'll add more (make my heart glad for anyone willing to show interest in what i think as good "film/tv").

"the hunt" danish (2012) movie about a nice guy getting reamed via "feminist culture (guy = evil/pedofiles)
"city of life and death" (chinese -2012? - black and white though new movie) - about "raping of nanking"/rabe - japanese conquest (chinese director did a good job of showing humanity/deprivation - on all sides of - and shows that "War is Hell" - no heroes here - just death and dying as what war is all about.
"snowtown" - "shoot the fucking dog" (great ausie move about true pathology - and yes the asshole did shoot his do (or more aptly ordered another to do so)........................this move - which i have on bluray - takes 2 weeks of my lifespan with each viewing. the most bleak movie ive ever watched ("Good" though - top 10 of all time IMO).
Zelary - chech movie - good scenery
Dark Blue World - one of my fav top 10 of all time - about friendship/love lost (chech also by same director that made Kolya - also a good movie BTW).
The Lives of Others - about the Stazi (east germans) - another top 10 of all time - about expansion of character/redemption from a servant of the Stazi viewpoint.
The Final Days of Sophie Schol - based upon real persons in germany who lost thier heads opposing hitler during the war (the dialog with protagonist with a cup of coffee is tops - a must see).

older movies worthy (older as in million yrs ago - 1940s/50s) american

A face in the Crowd
Badydoll
Failsafe
Marty
Patterns
The Best Years of our Lives

--------------

carry on.

and thanks for reply....................I look forward to your cretic(sp) of any/all of the movies i mentioned after you have had the time to view them.

peace.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

per old as shit (my view of modern TV is the same as hollywood films - i don't view nor have interest (asshole charters/etc.........).

per TV - old as the hills (stuff i never know about being an American (most of these 60's/70s tv shows are British), but finding via Youtube 10 yrs ago before they got anal and removed for coryreich reasons................and which i bought the DVD's of and stripped the region code of vie my PC program DVDfab in order to play the discs i paid money for to view via here in America.

1. Colditz
2. Secret Army
3, The Human Jungle
4. Gideon's Way
5. The Senator
6, Danger UXB
7. The Defenders

carry on..............
Last edited by gaffo on Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Siddhartha was a pretty good movie, a work of art. From the seventies, I think.

Bollywood is awesome in the purity of its unsophistication.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:04 am Siddhartha was a pretty good movie, a work of art. From the seventies, I think.

Bollywood is awesome in the purity of its unsophistication.
I saw Siddhartha (the budda) over at my nearby Oklahoma City Art Museum theater around 2000 - where i saw Water a couple of years later.

it was ok, but not all that.

i.e. it did not stick in my memory.

i do hope you take the time to check out some of the titles i mentioned above it you are able.

thanks for reply again ;-)
Walker

Post by Walker »

I copied everything, and appreciate it.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:08 am I copied everything, and appreciate it.
Excellent, I await your critic(sp) of them after you have had the pleasure of viewing.

----not so much per Snowtown/City of Life and Death --more per the misery of viewing of..............

two more mentioned if i may:

Wages of Fear
Battle of Algiers
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

at the risk of bombing this thread - i've thought of a few more "old" movies.

Seven Days in May - there are no bad guys here, only a president (Fredrick March) that loves his country and a general that does also, and intends to take over the nation in order to save it. (such a movie - where the audience can see both sides - instead of vilanize one side and champion the other - would never be made today).

I had sympathy of General Matoom Scott (i always forget the actors name - but one of the best of all time - his friend in real life - Kirk Douglas is in it too (he tends to overact sometimes but was great in this, as he was in "Pathes of Glory" (an early Kubrick film and good flick too)

The Duelists ("what is honour"- theme of that flck) by director of Alien (The Duelists is earlier) is a good film too if you'v not seen it

ok done bombing the thread for now................
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

shit - sorry for violating my own bombing invective...............

forgot all about

"Threads" - best WW3 movie ever made!

like snowtown/cityoflifeanddeath..........

will take off 2 wks of your lifespan with each viewing..............

just bought the bluray of (with the "special cover" - living London/burning London per one's viewing angle of the cover.

trivia, girl that plays Ruth's daughter died 5 yrs later on the same highway mentioned in the film (per the handheld radio - news of fatal accident on said highway in movie - spooky).

sorry for about the continued bombing...............i'm out of here - promise - its late and time for sleep now.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Vacation.

Commentary: Denial of reality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhlR3vidvp0
Walker

Post by Walker »

gaffo wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:42 am
sorry for about the continued bombing..............
No problemo.

Thanks again. We’ll check some of them out, sometime.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:16 am
gaffo wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:42 am
sorry for about the continued bombing..............
No problemo.

Thanks again. We’ll check some of them out, sometime.
thanks for reply Sir.

after viewing Ray's woks via Dailymotion (french video site that has shtty vid-servers..so let your computer get the video (migh take a few minutes - lol) (but allow copyrich movies to remain on their site more than today's YT - found Ray's works and then after viewing - bought the Bluray's of (nice restoration by Criterion BTW - so picture quality is up to par and clear - 1080 x 1920 of bluray capability).

FYI dailymotion vids are 60 minutes or less - so movies are on 2 parts.

lower res of Ray's full works can be found here - for your sampling:

first work:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8lo3k

the only surviving vid - the above - seems to be broken up into 10 parts or so - a pain ;-/.

guess they removed the old one that was in 2 parts.

second work:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xziaba

third work:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x119yn6

Ravi Shanker did the music (big name in the 60's/70's - Anuska Shanker and Norah Jones (both notable musicians - are his daughters - trivia).

-------------------------

i high rez version of Thread used to be on Vimeo for YEARS - the copyriech police seemed to have removed it after at least 5 yrs sitting on thier servers (as on YT earlier - but YT gone to crap - as in removing movies and now more "self-promoted personal vids by narcisists - removed that movie years and years ago - sad to see the vimeo copy is now gone - it was there a year ago - on well.

there is version on Dailymotion:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x121ctu

in two parts looks like,

Culloden is still on YT (wonder of wonders - there is a bluray of this now - i have it (came with The War Game also) - excellent picture quality BTW.

Peter Watkins is the director of both works..he did a movie called "Privalage"(late 60's) (the first "Truman Show") a movie about "celebrity/realiy TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW8bhB5oxQI

The War Game: (YT seems to have removed most of it).

https://vimeo.com/90896890
Walker

Post by Walker »

gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Westerns are my least fav. genre, including history and written fiction.

however, and good movie is a good movie regardless of my dissinterest in "the western".

and you offered not just a good movie, but a great one - loved that Am. Indian (he (sorry i don't know his name (I should - he was a great actor), been dead a long time now sadly) actor "um, i love juicy fruit" (i.e he played "the chief") - lol, One Flew over the coocoo's nest - another great movie.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Spoiler alert for a later episode of "The Leftovers"!

A man is witnessed throwing another passenger off a ship at night. The man is close to disembarking the ship, and escaping arrest, when in a separate incident, a group of environmentalists free a caged lion. The lion goes after the perp, and the guy who witnessed the murder, sees this happening, turns to his companions and says "that's the guy I was talking about", while the perp is being mauled in the background.

It doesn't sound like a great scene on repetition, but it was hilariously perfect.