Favourite movie scenes

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by Walker »

gaffo wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:30 am...
Five Easy pieces is interesting. It’s about a young man of considerable talent who is a bit adrift, so he represents youth of the time. He is unhappy for vague reasons, probably sourced to his father. He meets his father and talks to him out under the sky and near the sea, as I recall. Two of the elemental forces. His father has suffered a stroke and can show no reaction or word in response to what the young man says to him.

I say, Five Easy Pieces is on your mind since you’ve brought it up more than once, so live in style and splurge on your intellectual interest that may link to some unknown curiosity. Turn on the Blue Ray Machine.

Broom’s second word, after his juicy-fruit stimulated response of thank you which sounds like one word, is Ah. Ah is the primordial sound of the universe, to go into why that is would be inappropriate. However, enough to say that folks throughout time have carved it into boulders, which I figure captures the interest of those who would benefit from learning more of such things from those qualified to teach, and thus benefit the world for future generations.
Walker

Post by Walker »

gaffo wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:30 am neaderthal, sapians, denesovans and erectus lived from 21/2 million yrs to opnly 20,000 yr ago.

anyway I ranted and digressed,

thaks for having taste and apreciation fo rthe arts.
After hanging around here* awhile I wouldn't bet the farm concerning who has and does mingle ...

I do think appreciation, such as it is, came from introducing the vibration frequency of the Saraswati mantra into my bones on a regimented basis until consciousness merged with beauty found in the most interesting places. But that was long ago and I’ve known little difference since it is a part of existence, so now it seems obviously necessary to make reminders at times, since you mention it.

* the world
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:42 am I think the name of the movie was "God on Trial" but I can't remember too well now. Anyway, my favorite scene is when the Jewish prisoners at Auschwitz give the verdict that God is not a good god rather he was just on their side (at least was once upon a time).
Why is that your favorite scene?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:37 am
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:42 am I think the name of the movie was "God on Trial" but I can't remember too well now. Anyway, my favorite scene is when the Jewish prisoners at Auschwitz give the verdict that God is not a good god rather he was just on their side (at least was once upon a time).
Why is that your favorite scene?
It just resonates with me. It was very moving and seemed very unique.
Walker

Post by Walker »

That kind of endorsement only works when transmitted from famous and/or wealthy folks.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:33 am
Five Easy pieces is interesting. It’s about a young man of considerable talent who is a bit adrift, so he represents youth of the time. He is unhappy for vague reasons, probably sourced to his father. He meets his father and talks to him out under the sky and near the sea, as I recall. Two of the elemental forces. His father has suffered a stroke and can show no reaction or word in response to what the young man says to him.

I say, Five Easy Pieces is on your mind since you’ve brought it up more than once, so live in style and splurge on your intellectual interest that may link to some unknown curiosity. Turn on the Blue Ray Machine.

Broom’s second word, after his juicy-fruit stimulated response of thank you which sounds like one word, is Ah. Ah is the primordial sound of the universe, to go into why that is would be inappropriate. However, enough to say that folks throughout time have carved it into boulders, which I figure captures the interest of those who would benefit from learning more of such things from those qualified to teach, and thus benefit the world for future generations.
I mentioned 5 peices because i had not know of it until about 5 yrs ago, and so asked you if it is worth my coin - 20-bucks. I'm prugal, so only willing to pay for top movis - not almost top, as i asked you prior if it was tops - you said almost, so respecting your view not top enough for my to pay coin for the bluray. Instead i'll just note it and catch it on "Tv" if and when i iind it.

interesting about the father son thing - i'd had read/hard about this in a review of the movie. and i too had an issue with my dad - now dead sadly. Not an issue if the movie is good imo - its either good enough for not enough for me to pay coin for - via the human condition - with or without daddy issues.

as always thanks for reply and welcome any and all movie recommendations since you have taste. ;-).
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

A scene from Cloud Atlas

The guy on the right (a Scottish hard arse) - is Tom Hanks, in one of many varied roles he plays in this fantastic and extremely different film.
This film has it all, humour and beautiful scenes, coupled with a perhaps dire dystopian future, where many characters are replayed through TIME.

An ending that is flat and inane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqiPVEa8PPs

A must watch - look at the lineup of actors...

Tom Hanks
Halle Berry
Jim Broadbent
Hugo Weaving
Jim Sturgess
Doona Bae
Ben Whishaw
James D'Arcy
Zhou Xun
Keith David
David Gyasi
Susan Sarandon
Hugh Grant

Have any of you guys seen it, I would be interested in what your thoughts are - to me it's an overlooked Masterpiece.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Started to watch it but got pulled away, then got busy and the rental ran out. We've got some beach time coming up so maybe I'll try again if the hot-spot is strong enough.
Walker

Post by Walker »

“Tell Scarlet I do give a damn.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV_aYvGn6DM
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:59 pm Started to watch it but got pulled away, then got busy and the rental ran out. We've got some beach time coming up so maybe I'll try again if the hot-spot is strong enough.
RE: Cloud Atlas....I'm watching it right now for probably the 6th time.

It's is amazing, it jumps between time periods with the same actors in different roles. It's humorous, it's cyberpunk, it's dark and vexing,...it's poetic, artistic beautiful and very very confronting.

I'd be interested if yourself or anyone else here see it in the same light that I do, it's a bloody masterpiece.

3hrs long tho!!
Walker

Post by Walker »

Pulp Fiction Restaurant Scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YujYTVQ4_S0

Q: “By that rationale, if a pig had a better personality he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?"

A: “Well, we’d have to be talking about one charming m*****f****** pig. I mean, he’d have to been* ten times more charming than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I’m sayin’?”

* correction: be.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:43 pm A scene from Cloud Atlas

The guy on the right (a Scottish hard arse) - is Tom Hanks, in one of many varied roles he plays in this fantastic and extremely different film.
This film has it all, humour and beautiful scenes, coupled with a perhaps dire dystopian future, where many characters are replayed through TIME.

Tom Hanks
Halle Berry
Jim Broadbent
Hugo Weaving
Jim Sturgess
Doona Bae
Ben Whishaw
James D'Arcy
Zhou Xun
Keith David
David Gyasi
Susan Sarandon
Hugh Grant

Have any of you guys seen it, I would be interested in what your thoughts are - to me it's an overlooked Masterpiece.
left me flat - so some smuck did not like the other and so killed him.so being a sellout is worthy of capital punishment now? and the killer not appoitined by the court to boot?

utter rubbish. - now i know not to bother watching the rest of that movie.

- your scen brought me to mind a similar in "The Lives of others" where the protagonist defends the sellout - assumign he was pressured by the STAZI - oand of course he did not kill the guy - instead defended him understanding the presure he was under to sellout iinstead. -who here in the real would would kill a man for being a sellout - rather than defend him understanding the sellout [pressue"

The Lives of OThers - about rreality, the gray of the world and growth of the protagonist from a commie to a full man by the end of the movie.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:59 pm Started to watch it but got pulled away, then got busy and the rental ran out. We've got some beach time coming up so maybe I'll try again if the hot-spot is strong enough.
my ADVISE - WATCH "THE LIVES OF OTHERS" - MUCH BETTER - TOP 10 OF ALL TIME. full charcher dev, one sees the main protg is a true "Beleiver" in communism, where his boss is just a hypocrite - we se the main protag see this and grow as a man and loose his position for it - while his bos remains a hypocriote - and his bosses boss - both landing on tier feet as in the real world - opportunists - never true beleviers.

anyway - ignore the rubbish movie and instead watch The Lives of Others..

BTW the main guy (East Germany guy in real life FYI) - sorry i forgot his man diied adly - the other main character in the movie is Sabastan Kock - whom i've known about via the excellent german movie of 2000-ish "the Tunnel" - I assume Kock is still alive and was a West German - not sure of eihter, but a great actor.

also
RIP Bruno Ganz (not german but Austriain) cancer - aka Hitler - Downfall - another great movie of all time.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:33 am

I know about the dad in whealchair - clipo on YT, but is 5 easy as good a one flew over ? if not then i'll save my coin. i like good movies, but only pay of excellent ones. I'm frugal.

BTW The Lives of Others i "got" - via Netflix mail DVD 15 yrs ago and make a copy of the DVD via FABDVD - then loved it so much i bought the bluray of 8? yrs ago.

its that good. and i'm stingy - just so you know i had a sandard df and shelled out fo a high def o fwhat i allread had - i don't do that ofteen. only othr movie i can think of all hand would be "Dark Blue Wrold" - which i loved as much and had a old copy DVD and bought the bluray of aroudn the same time. - the latter is about Friendship. - BTW the Poles were really fucked over in the 30s-90's frist by the german s and later by the soviets.

Dark Blue World - you should watch if you have not have - the titel is from a song written by a Pole when when blind young - a great song and movie.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

gaffo wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:05 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:43 pm A scene from Cloud Atlas

Tom Hanks
Halle Berry
Jim Broadbent
Hugo Weaving
Jim Sturgess
Doona Bae
Ben Whishaw
James D'Arcy
Zhou Xun
Keith David
David Gyasi
Susan Sarandon
Hugh Grant

left me flat - so some smuck did not like the other and so killed him.so being a sellout is worthy of capital punishment now? and the killer not appoitined by the court to boot?

utter rubbish. - now i know not to bother watching the rest of that movie.
Mr gaffo, I understand you were drunk while posting this since you admitted such in another thread. Anyway, you are being rather daft again.

The scene I posted is hilarious, we've got a nutjob hardarse Scotsman (Tom Hanks) who wrote a book called 'knuckle sandwich' - since u are from the US maybe you don't know what a knuckle-sandwich is...anyway...so he is angry at some pompous wankstain critic (who indeed was probably pretty much correct in his critique of the book) - the thing is Dermot - Tom Hanks is like a fish in a pond of frogs, he's with company that would not be of his type, and is being humiliated.

THAT is the only scene in the entire film with the character Dermot. So to dismiss what I call a masterpiece on a 5 minute scene of a character that never returns in the entire movie, well, is rather daft.