General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

gaffo

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:15 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:05 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:43 pm A scene from Cloud Atlas

The guy on the right (a Scottish hard arse) - is Tom Hanks, in one of many varied roles he plays in this fantastic and extremely different film.
This film has it all, humour and beautiful scenes, coupled with a perhaps dire dystopian future, where many characters are replayed through TIME.

An ending that is flat and inane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqiPVEa8PPs

A must watch - look at the lineup of actors...

Tom Hanks
Halle Berry
Jim Broadbent
Hugo Weaving
Jim Sturgess
Doona Bae
Ben Whishaw
James D'Arcy
Zhou Xun
Keith David
David Gyasi
Susan Sarandon
Hugh Grant

Have any of you guys seen it, I would be interested in what your thoughts are - to me it's an overlooked Masterpiece.
left me flat - so some smuck did not like the other and so killed him.so being a sellout is worthy of capital punishment now? and the killer not appoitined by the court to boot?

utter rubbish. - now i know not to bother watching the rest of that movie.
Mr gaffo, I understand you were drunk while posting this since you admitted such in another thread. Anyway, you are being rather daft again.

The scene I posted is hilarious, we've got a nutjob hardarse Scotsman (Tom Hanks) who wrote a book called 'knuckle sandwich' - since u are from the US maybe you don't know what a knuckle-sandwich is...anyway...so he is angry at some pompous wankstain critic (who indeed was probably pretty much correct in his critique of the book) - the thing is Dermot - Tom Hanks is like a fish in a pond of frogs, he's with company that would not be of his type, and is being humiliated.

THAT is the only scene in the entire film with the character Dermot. So to dismiss what I call a masterpiece on a 5 minute scene of a character that never returns in the entire movie, well, is rather daft.
thanks for exposition, interested to understand what a knuckle sanwich is not being a Scott. being an american this expresion was an old one - 60-plus yrs ago - meaning - i think - a fist in the face. used in the 50's, but not much since that time.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Walker

Post by Walker »

A Very Bad Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxTMbIxEj-E

They don’t make ‘em like this anymore.

:lol:

The little monster likes Moonglow ... and Stardust.

:shock:
Walker

Post by Walker »

paigetheoracle wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:25 pm How about TV series? The opening scene of 'The Prisoner' created by Patrick McGoohan and with music by Ralph Smart.

'China Town' and she's my sister and my daughter interchange, between Faye Dunnaway and Jack Nicholson, plus the saltwater in the pond realisation about the murder, plus who can forget Roman Polanski's nose slitting attack on Jake Gittes?

Almost any scene in the 'Alien' franchise, except for 'Aliens' and the third in the series ('Prometheus' was as creepy as the first film, if not more so because of it involving invasion of the body by unseen entities: I remember a B movie that was as grisly as this, where a Nazi scientist living alone on an island, slipped a shipwrecked sailor a mickey finn, containing flesh eating life forms).
Plus, one of the great trumpet solos (Uan Rasey.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmOhNyitewI
Walker

Post by Walker »

“This is a cleansing moment of clarity.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLV8lC44A4s

This is why preparation for clarity, if possible, is advised.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRuS3dxKK9U

Walker

Post by Walker »

gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:28 pm Can I confess something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp3NWzLzaek
i respect both walkin and allen - per their kreaft. ot sen anny hall - my bad p;;-/, seen parts off at least. ;-/.

Walkin was great in The DEar Hunter - as was Deniro. what a great movie (ya full downer - but pure per nam a dumb war) - oh and whats his name Savage actually was really good - equal to the other gyus in the movie. John? Savage ....?

thanks for link Walker.

Woody Allen was a master of comedy and direction - but like others - got lazy in latter life..................i'm not sllamming, just sayinn that the way of thigss.

fk even the master of all time IMO - Kubrick peaked in 68 with 2001. latter stuff was good but not great. I bought the bluray of Barry Lindon only last month - after hearing of reveiws on yt - to make use my 30-buck coin was worth it - ................well it was NOT! (nor Rashomon was average at best - PREETY FK YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but Ridley Scoots The Duelists was equally pretty but with character i gave a fuck for), Kudrick Ful lMetyal Jachekt redemmed hism from Linondo - but is peak was still in 68 with 2001. imo.

i wasitd my coin on Lindon - whats his name the soap opera guy Ryan O nieal cound not cact his way out fo a papger bag - ya he was ok in Paper Mood - but the kid whats her naem carried it not him. - and per Barry his step son was the best actor in tht movie. it was just a plodding movie, unlike the btter and latter copy The Dualists by Ridley - where the cast are good actors imo.

2-cents now, had 6 beers and ranting now - lol. thanks walker!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you got taste!

City of Life and Death is still best movie about war - even though a chinese porduction. i know i linked it here yrs ago and you saw.

its like the Dear Hunter,. Full Metal Jacket pr reality. of war.

7 beers and counting pretty fucked up so prob will not reply until next week fyi.

always liked that you like good movies - and welcome discussion sir !

thanks to you! for reply!
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:37 pm A Very Bad Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxTMbIxEj-E

They don’t make ‘em like this anymore.

no thy dont. sadly.

Bill Mummy. Lost in space (crap tv show btw) and later Babilon 5/9? - he did good as theasshole 6 yr old.

i bought the bluray of tha TW tv show so know and love good writtingt.

sadly a lost art fomr today - were is Orch Obler (30's radio drama writter) - and Rod Serling (Serlings was Oblers equal radio to TV))- where are the giftd today?

where are they!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????????????

i ask you Wlker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where are the gifted story writrs and why havwe not not since that said gift in about 20 yr?

- yes there are exceptions, th movies The Zodiac, and 12 yrs slave" - both a decade ago - so a few a decade ago and this lst decade - nada.

I'm ont an appologist - i affirm good works when i find then, and i've not found then in the nast 25 yrs - imo. - and ya with exseptions - as noted above - but the gnereral rule appies...................

so it seems ot me the lest 20 yrs is crap. imo.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:11 am “This is a cleansing moment of clarity.”

Network is a good movie but it predisesor A Face in the Crowd is better - by order of mag - in fact the latter in in the top 10 of all time imo - both are abotu the ame themem of corse.

the "i'm not goig to take it any more" buy - a brit- i foregt his man peter somebody.....is a ecxellent acotert -pert finch - rem now. he is qual to holden per thier kraft both ex actors, anyway most america don;t kow about finch - nor me - until about 15 yrs ago - long after i should have known.

A face in the Crowd is better than Netwark - Wlaker - just syin they are in general saying tsaying the same thing, and Face in Crownd is just tops - top25 - Kazan (sellout to his friend - so an asshole in the 50's via mccarthy(luike Allen a rapist o tepkid of 13? - so both dicks per characr - but still tops per thier kreaft - movie dirction).

Kazan'first movie A tree Grow in brooklyn(48?) is is seond bet after "a face in the crownd" --------------so might have ben a full asshole, but a great movie directr, wolrd of greywith it.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

gaffo wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:12 am
Walker wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:11 am “This is a cleansing moment of clarity.”

Network is a good movie but it predisesor A Face in the Crowd is better - by order of mag - in fact the latter in in the top 10 of all time imo - both are abotu the ame themem of corse.

the "i'm not goig to take it any more" buy - a brit- i foregt his man peter somebody.....is a ecxellent acotert -pert finch - rem now. he is qual to holden per thier kraft both ex actors, anyway most america don;t kow about finch - nor me - until about 15 yrs ago - long after i should have known.

A face in the Crowd is better than Netwark - Wlaker - just syin they are in general saying tsaying the same thing, and Face in Crownd is just tops - top25 - Kazan (sellout to his friend - so an asshole in the 50's via mccarthy(luike Allen a rapist o tepkid of 13? - so both dicks per characr - but still tops per thier kreaft - movie dirction).

Kazan'first movie A tree Grow in brooklyn(48?) is is seond bet after "a face in the crond" --------------so might have ben a full asshole, but a great movie directr,
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker heve your seen A tree Grow in Brookyn or the firt of the apu Tiliogies........ the first Apu trill is basically a remke of a tree in brookyn.

both oare top 20 of all time movies imo, and if not sen, view them sir.

2-cent.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Kinda hoaky and ham-handed but it does play with some truths about human nature. Hee-haw corn-pone doesn’t cut it anymore since the country has been homogenized. Last time I was in Oklahoma I exited the Turner Turnpike and the toll-guy said, no charge today for the blue sky. Then I drove a bit farther and saw a sign that said For Sale, planted in front of a big pile of dirt. Selling dirt and sunshine. Lucky OK sits on oil but unlucky when the oilphobes are in charge.

Kazan
https://theamericanscholar.org/the-dire ... med-names/

“Kazan’s intensely personal engagement with his films is evident in his 1988 autobiography, A Life, one of the most gleefully unflattering self-portraits ever written. Taking Rousseau’s Confessions as his model, Kazan shares his ugliest emotions and seamiest actions; he seems positively pleased to outdo his detractors in describing his compulsive womanizing, competitiveness, and vindictiveness. The passages about his first wife, Molly Day Thacher, are painful to read, seething with love and fury intimately intermingled. His effort to live up to her rigid, puritanical, and unrealistic standards, Kazan asserts, had made him unhappy and deceitful. His analyses of friends and colleagues are equally disturbing: shrewd, but almost entirely devoid of charity. About his cooperation with HUAC he wrote, ‘I did [it] out of my true self. Everything before was seventeen years of posturing.’ Moreover, ‘The only genuinely good and original films I’ve made, I made after my testimony.’ This was the guy that blacklist victims really hated.”
Last edited by Walker on Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Seems ridiculous now. What happened to the fat guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE0gT35 ... l=shmoople
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:43 am Seems ridiculous now. What happened to the fat guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE0gT35 ... l=shmoople
The powers that be wouldn't allow me to watch, but I see it's about The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which I never saw.

gaffo is always reminding me just how few movies I've seen.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:33 am
Kinda hoaky and ham-handed but it does play with some truths about human nature. Hee-haw corn-pone doesn’t cut it anymore since the country has been homogenized. Last time I was in Oklahoma I exited the Turner Turnpike and the toll-guy said, no charge today for the blue sky. Then I drove a bit farther and saw a sign that said For Sale, planted in front of a big pile of dirt. Selling dirt and sunshine. Lucky OK sits on oil but unlucky when the oilphobes are in charge.

Kazan
https://theamericanscholar.org/the-dire ... med-names/

“Kazan’s intensely personal engagement with his films is evident in his 1988 autobiography, A Life, one of the most gleefully unflattering self-portraits ever written. Taking Rousseau’s Confessions as his model, Kazan shares his ugliest emotions and seamiest actions; he seems positively pleased to outdo his detractors in describing his compulsive womanizing, competitiveness, and vindictiveness. The passages about his first wife, Molly Day Thacher, are painful to read, seething with love and fury intimately intermingled. His effort to live up to her rigid, puritanical, and unrealistic standards, Kazan asserts, had made him unhappy and deceitful. His analyses of friends and colleagues are equally disturbing: shrewd, but almost entirely devoid of charity. About his cooperation with HUAC he wrote, ‘I did [it] out of my true self. Everything before was seventeen years of posturing.’ Moreover, ‘The only genuinely good and original films I’ve made, I made after my testimony.’ This was the guy that blacklist victims really hated.”
welll we must agree to disagree - i think A face i the Crowd is much better then Network.

have you seen A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Kazan's best IMO - the AFIC, than Babydoll - all nearly equall top 3 - the rest is movies are much inferoir - incliding a streatcar name desire/etc. imo.

oh yes dissapointd in Rashamon - overrated - 6 at best, but Ikiru wa a 9 so resortd my faith in folks saying Kurkosowa(sp) is a good director.

not seen any other of his movies. i admit it. i note name then investigate via imdb then buy the movis of - dissapointed in Roshimon, but not in Ikiru.

Roshimon's theme of subjectiviity vs objective events was kewl, but the cating was so over the top - it was just bad/hammy.Ikiru was just more down to earth about a guy that was dying and so re-prioritized his last months - much better acting - not over the top at all - just real - wher eyou can place yourself in his shoes.

as all good movies are able to do.

I've never seen the 7 samari (as Daffy Duck says "shoot me now shoot me now" - lol- sorry - they say its great - but is it? after finding Roshimon not all that and another lesser know movie by the same guy as much much better than..............i wonder if 7 sam mihgt be over ratted?