Favourite movie scenes

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker
Posts: 6713
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by Walker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:55 am


gaffo
Posts: 2455
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by gaffo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:19 pm

Walker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:20 pm
I've not heard of many of your selections. They look quite interesting.
not surpising, nor did i until I stumbled upon then a few yrs ago via YT.

so cuncur, true classics are hidden - not appreciated in today's society, sadly.

and so forgotten.

I've not doubt, i have 20+ more to discover - and not yet learned about - YT's best attribute for me personally.

a means of discovery.

of course they removed my channel of "lost gems" (forgotten 60's/70's TV shows mostly) - 2 yrs ago................but there are others to fill my removed gap, which i may discover and appreciate before their channels are removed for the same reasons (copyriech violations - of works 99-percent never know of or have forgotten).




Walker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:20 pm
Great comedic actress and scene with this link … comedy, tragedy, humour, suffering, questions, all in a couple of minutes.

She is actually acting.
She has facial mobility.

Botox injections, lip plumping and surgery have altered the craft's instrument of face.

Perhaps the new enhanced instrument of face is preparing us for when the robots replace highly-paid actors. We will be accustomed to less mobility.

Digital special effects have already replaced a lot.


Where's my honey?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVTqeesKKmw

:lol:
Dave Allen- rip, was a contenperary of Carol Bernet (and both were comic geniouses - may the latter live another 100 yrs).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2890208/


an excellent movie done by the former now dead sadly (and never heard of - prior to YT - as an american never heard of him - discovered him, and concluded he was a comic genius equal to Carol B, via a couple of YT channels (one remvoed for the same reasons as mine - of course).

Dave Allen - check him out. an Irish guy with a sense of humor - without the need to "cut down" those he talks with. good-hearted humor,

check out my movie link via IMDB - it was on YT a couple of years ago, but YT years ago is not what it is today, so it's probably removed.



...............

i get your "where is my honey" reference ---where "Barton Fink" (love most of Coen Brother's movies - not all, but most - Fargo is the best, the Blood Simple, then No country for old men................all those three are 10-9's.................) shows up at "motel" to ask Judy Davis - you know the girl who's head in it the box - thanks to "mad man munch" lol, though to be fair, mad man munch seems a "nice guy" (outisde of beheading gals) - he was right, Barton never was able to listen.

and Barton offered only a one-hit wonder, too. as shown in the movie. (excellent movie BTW) - i have the VHS/DVD and Bluray.




the others like Hudsucker,Miller Crossing were excellent - only less than 9's

i did not like Arizona Crossing - when i saw it in theater in the late 80's -so did not like it.

that was a long time ago, and if i bother to rewatch it i my re-assess it (as I did WRT to The Rapture - hated it on viewing in theater in 1991 - but now affirm that movie as one of the top 20 of all time - after veiwing it year later.


thanks for reply Walker - you have a mind and heart, and welcome your views on this forum - even if we disagree about Heir Trump.

gaffo
Posts: 2455
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by gaffo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:42 pm

Walker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:01 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:38 pm
True. If anyone wants to see really great acting go for anything that isn't American (and usually with subtitles). Americans are unconvincing hams when it comes to acting (and existing).
Those weaned on a diet of film acting may not understand that real acting is stage acting, as in the above scene from Barton Fink. Why? Because real acting is face-to-face, human-to-human, in real time, the place where things used to get done in real life, before film was a product to be sold.

For such acting the expressions must be exaggerated to be seen in the back row where the lights are dim.

Judy Davis’ stage acting is from the days of vaudeville, which precede the setting of the scene thus mingling the viewer’s likely limited knowledge of stage acting, with what humans once were in life, namely, face-to-face actors. The talkies had been discovered in her lifetime.
I think the more apt point is that "hollywood"......being a conglomerate - so lowe$t demoninator, only appeals to the simple minded and leaves the "Gray" of our world out.

that today leave only the independents and foreign films (hollywood used offer quality/moral themes ----up to about 1980 or so, note since.

of course there are a few exceptions (not many though sadly),

Zodiac (by same director of Seven)

7 yrs a slave (by same director of Hunger)

exception do not make the rule though, sadly, and why i focus in films not offered by Hollywood for the last 30 yrs or so myself.

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 8138
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by vegetariantaxidermy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:52 pm

gaffo wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:19 pm
Walker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:20 pm
I've not heard of many of your selections. They look quite interesting.
not surpising, nor did i until I stumbled upon then a few yrs ago via YT.

so cuncur, true classics are hidden - not appreciated in today's society, sadly.

and so forgotten.

I've not doubt, i have 20+ more to discover - and not yet learned about - YT's best attribute for me personally.

a means of discovery.

of course they removed my channel of "lost gems" (forgotten 60's/70's TV shows mostly) - 2 yrs ago................but there are others to fill my removed gap, which i may discover and appreciate before their channels are removed for the same reasons (copyriech violations - of works 99-percent never know of or have forgotten).




Walker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:20 pm
Great comedic actress and scene with this link … comedy, tragedy, humour, suffering, questions, all in a couple of minutes.

She is actually acting.
She has facial mobility.

Botox injections, lip plumping and surgery have altered the craft's instrument of face.

Perhaps the new enhanced instrument of face is preparing us for when the robots replace highly-paid actors. We will be accustomed to less mobility.

Digital special effects have already replaced a lot.


Where's my honey?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVTqeesKKmw

:lol:
Dave Allen- rip, was a contenperary of Carol Bernet (and both were comic geniouses - may the latter live another 100 yrs).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2890208/


an excellent movie done by the former now dead sadly (and never heard of - prior to YT - as an american never heard of him - discovered him, and concluded he was a comic genius equal to Carol B, via a couple of YT channels (one remvoed for the same reasons as mine - of course).

Dave Allen - check him out. an Irish guy with a sense of humor - without the need to "cut down" those he talks with. good-hearted humor,

check out my movie link via IMDB - it was on YT a couple of years ago, but YT years ago is not what it is today, so it's probably removed.



...............

i get your "where is my honey" reference ---where "Barton Fink" (love most of Coen Brother's movies - not all, but most - Fargo is the best, the Blood Simple, then No country for old men................all those three are 10-9's.................) shows up at "motel" to ask Judy Davis - you know the girl who's head in it the box - thanks to "mad man munch" lol, though to be fair, mad man munch seems a "nice guy" (outisde of beheading gals) - he was right, Barton never was able to listen.

and Barton offered only a one-hit wonder, too. as shown in the movie. (excellent movie BTW) - i have the VHS/DVD and Bluray.




the others like Hudsucker,Miller Crossing were excellent - only less than 9's

i did not like Arizona Crossing - when i saw it in theater in the late 80's -so did not like it.

that was a long time ago, and if i bother to rewatch it i my re-assess it (as I did WRT to The Rapture - hated it on viewing in theater in 1991 - but now affirm that movie as one of the top 20 of all time - after veiwing it year later.


thanks for reply Walker - you have a mind and heart, and welcome your views on this forum - even if we disagree about Heir Trump.
I adored Dave Allen. That documentay is on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RX1fMWkims

Apart from the annoying subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ3dL5tJx6M

gaffo
Posts: 2455
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by gaffo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:53 pm

utterly off topic, but may apply, per "computer games" the last 20 yrs.

prior - when pc-ers were of the "elite" we had a few games with heart, like Homeworld(and its related Cataclyism, HW2) - prior to congloberation (via the demographic change of who have PCs? eveyone now - so must dumbdown)

today we just have mindless rehashes of Doom FPShooters. no story nor theme.

but follow the $$$$$$$

be it pc games or movies, follow the $$$ results in consolidation - and related dumbing down of the arts.

gaffo
Posts: 2455
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by gaffo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:02 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:52 pm
gaffo wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:19 pm
Walker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:20 pm
I've not heard of many of your selections. They look quite interesting.
not surpising, nor did i until I stumbled upon then a few yrs ago via YT.

so cuncur, true classics are hidden - not appreciated in today's society, sadly.

and so forgotten.

I've not doubt, i have 20+ more to discover - and not yet learned about - YT's best attribute for me personally.

a means of discovery.

of course they removed my channel of "lost gems" (forgotten 60's/70's TV shows mostly) - 2 yrs ago................but there are others to fill my removed gap, which i may discover and appreciate before their channels are removed for the same reasons (copyriech violations - of works 99-percent never know of or have forgotten).




Walker wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:20 pm
Great comedic actress and scene with this link … comedy, tragedy, humour, suffering, questions, all in a couple of minutes.

She is actually acting.
She has facial mobility.

Botox injections, lip plumping and surgery have altered the craft's instrument of face.

Perhaps the new enhanced instrument of face is preparing us for when the robots replace highly-paid actors. We will be accustomed to less mobility.

Digital special effects have already replaced a lot.


Where's my honey?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVTqeesKKmw

:lol:
Dave Allen- rip, was a contenperary of Carol Bernet (and both were comic geniouses - may the latter live another 100 yrs).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2890208/


an excellent movie done by the former now dead sadly (and never heard of - prior to YT - as an american never heard of him - discovered him, and concluded he was a comic genius equal to Carol B, via a couple of YT channels (one remvoed for the same reasons as mine - of course).

Dave Allen - check him out. an Irish guy with a sense of humor - without the need to "cut down" those he talks with. good-hearted humor,

check out my movie link via IMDB - it was on YT a couple of years ago, but YT years ago is not what it is today, so it's probably removed.



...............

i get your "where is my honey" reference ---where "Barton Fink" (love most of Coen Brother's movies - not all, but most - Fargo is the best, the Blood Simple, then No country for old men................all those three are 10-9's.................) shows up at "motel" to ask Judy Davis - you know the girl who's head in it the box - thanks to "mad man munch" lol, though to be fair, mad man munch seems a "nice guy" (outisde of beheading gals) - he was right, Barton never was able to listen.

and Barton offered only a one-hit wonder, too. as shown in the movie. (excellent movie BTW) - i have the VHS/DVD and Bluray.




the others like Hudsucker,Miller Crossing were excellent - only less than 9's

i did not like Arizona Crossing - when i saw it in theater in the late 80's -so did not like it.

that was a long time ago, and if i bother to rewatch it i my re-assess it (as I did WRT to The Rapture - hated it on viewing in theater in 1991 - but now affirm that movie as one of the top 20 of all time - after veiwing it year later.


thanks for reply Walker - you have a mind and heart, and welcome your views on this forum - even if we disagree about Heir Trump.
I adored Dave Allen. That documentay is on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RX1fMWkims

Apart from the annoying subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ3dL5tJx6M
glad to know its still there. I will assume it will never receive a proper Bluray (though Treads did! - and i bought that - and yes it has better pict than the DVD - though limited due the original film limitations)

so will eventually buy the DVD of, assuming it will never get a Bluray offering.

.............

of course (thanks of lawyers - i had to remove the region code of (The Shout,Coloden (peter watkin's masterperiece, along with his War Day - also included in the Bluray i bought, and Wickerman) - via DVDFab to view what i legally bought!)

the thread bluray is american region code! (why? no americans ever head of it!!!!!!!!! - i never did before finding it via YT!)

thanks lawyers,

and you!

for reply!

gaffo
Posts: 2455
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by gaffo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:10 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:38 pm
gaffo wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:21 am
BTW - "Kanopy" - thanks to the Aussies per 10 yrs ago, has finally reached me via my local library as of last week.

I signed up and have viewed the above movies since 2 day ago:

Secret of the Kells, Silent Waters (about the mentality of fanaticism/and the mom's larger view of universal humanism) - knowing of history (Pakistan/Indian partition1947/and the Sikhs therein helps in understanding this movie))- and Kedi (Kitty/cat in Turkish? - i assume), last is a good hearted film for all that love cats/animals - even if EVIL (VA/millions otheres like him/it) Moooooslims.

check your local library, Kanopy is Aussie originally, so prob offfered via your Aidilade(sp) library.

2-cents.
True. If anyone wants to see really great acting go for anything that isn't American (and usually with subtitles). Americans are unconvincing hams when it comes to acting (and existing).
most actors follow the money, american actors in general can act, but don't need to via hollywood today - sadly.

gaffo
Posts: 2455
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by gaffo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:16 am

Ken Loach(sp) is another excellent director - comteporary of Watkins.

he of late - like Pick Floyd's Waters and Nat Portman - affirm the BDS goals and refused to show up in Israel for thier openings recently.

gaffo
Posts: 2455
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by gaffo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:19 am

Walker wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:55 am
Chauncy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYeVQzTVyLk
Aways viewed Peter Sellers as Bush Jr in that movie (dumb, but the former was better and walked on water at the end of the movie).


refer to


"Being There"

a top 50 of all time for sure.

Walker
Posts: 6713
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by Walker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:22 am

gaffo wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:19 am
Walker wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:55 am
Chauncy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYeVQzTVyLk
Aways viewed Peter Sellers as Bush Jr in that movie (dumb, but the former was better and walked on water at the end of the movie).


refer to


"Being There"

a top 50 of all time for sure.
Jerzy Kosiński wrote the story. His fiction is fascinating. He was a literary Hieronymus Bosch quite skilled at word pictures, his targets are the conditioned and complacent and some of his images will stay with you forever. He hit paydirt with The Painted Bird, his books after that were bought up as soon as they were printed. His protagonists are detached intellectuals, like Chance the Gardner in their amorality, but Chance is just empty and not an intellectual, an empty vessel for anyone to fill with what they are.

Walker
Posts: 6713
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by Walker » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:18 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j9qAhXfNAU

:lol:

(slowly, with emphasis and meaning ...)
The dialogue is a cogent reminder about politics. Straddling the middle will balance the see-saw for one, however on a forum, dialogue = 2+. While physics identifies that the fat kid must sit closer to the middle of the see-saw to balance things out, the alternative is to add more skinny little views to balance out the big one, so it can sit comfortably while the world goes up and down.

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4397
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by Greta » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:11 pm

A couple from the great old satire, Network. Howard Beale's rants were classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFvT_qEZJf8

And Jenson's speech in reply is too much fun! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuBe93FMiJc

Walker
Posts: 6713
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by Walker » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:08 pm

Greta wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:11 pm
A couple from the great old satire, Network. Howard Beale's rants were classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFvT_qEZJf8

And Jenson's speech in reply is too much fun! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuBe93FMiJc
Great scenes! Literary.
Reading and not film likely shaped Paddy's sensibilities.

Walker
Posts: 6713
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by Walker » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:09 pm

Think they will ever burn and ban his work and name?

The Duke in action.
https://www.irishcentral.com/images/McLintockposter.jpg

The Duke in the news.
“I don’t feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them, if that’s what you’re asking,” he said, adding: "There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."

gaffo
Posts: 2455
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 am

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by gaffo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:32 am

Walker wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:22 am
gaffo wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:19 am
Walker wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:55 am
Chauncy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYeVQzTVyLk
Aways viewed Peter Sellers as Bush Jr in that movie (dumb, but the former was better and walked on water at the end of the movie).


refer to


"Being There"

a top 50 of all time for sure.
Walker wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:22 am
Jerzy Kosiński
I affirm my full ignorance. never heard of him - though should have.

I thank you for informing Walker! (you have knowledge and taste - may i call you a friend?)

I need to do some reading!
Walker wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:22 am
wrote the story. His fiction is fascinating. He was a literary Hieronymus Bosch quite skilled at word pictures,
loved Bosch's works - garden of earthly deliaties(dyslexic) - for 3 decades now, from a t-shirt to a wall print of his work.
Walker wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:22 am
his targets are the conditioned and complacent and some of his images will stay with you forever. He hit paydirt with The Painted Bird, his books after that were bought up as soon as they were printed. His protagonists are detached intellectuals, like Chance the Gardner in their amorality, but Chance is just empty and not an intellectual, an empty vessel for anyone to fill with what they are.
agreed, "chance" was intended to amoral(not moral or immoral)/empty suit (for others to fill that void)

what his name - the old man --------somthing "douglas" was great in that movie - as hes was in all the movies/tv shows of the 60/70's.

Melvin (just remember his first name).

carry on and thanks for reply Sir.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests