Favourite movie scenes

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Favourite movie scenes

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:38 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:56 am
attofishpi wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:26 pm Sexy Beast. My favourite British gangster film.

Ben Kingsley as the irrepressible Don. (almost)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu_xTC5Gc2U

...and that's not my favourite scene, just couldn't find it. :)
What an arsehole.
Yeah, that's his character in this film. He's a 'psycho' gangster sent to force someone to do one last bank job.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:56 amAnd the accent doesn't go with the face.
Are you displaying a racist slant here Veg? I'll never forget when I first heard an Asian with an Australian accent. Face IT we are in a multicultural society where accents quite likely will not fit the face.
How is that 'racist'? I thought 'racism' was having a rabid and irrational hatred for certain races and advocating killing them. Silly me.
And btw, it's not his accent so stick your shallow PC bullshit projection up your arse--his 'race' never entered my head (but it sure did your's). Ben Kingslely has a very rifined look, so you would expect a refined voice--not something that sounds like a Dickensian pantomime street thug.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:22 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:38 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:56 am

What an arsehole.
Yeah, that's his character in this film. He's a 'psycho' gangster sent to force someone to do one last bank job.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:56 amAnd the accent doesn't go with the face.
Are you displaying a racist slant here Veg? I'll never forget when I first heard an Asian with an Australian accent. Face IT we are in a multicultural society where accents quite likely will not fit the face.
How is that 'racist'? I thought 'racism' was having a rabid and irrational hatred for certain races and advocating killing them. Silly me.
And btw, it's not his accent so stick your shallow PC bullshit projection up your arse--his 'race' never entered my head (but it sure did your's). Ben Kingslely has a very rifined look, so you would expect a refined voice--not something that sounds like a Dickensian pantomime street thug.
Actually, his character is rather 'refined'. Watch the film.
Walker

Post by Walker »

An underrated film starring the Sacred Monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQbTjGCXvSg
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:44 pm
gaffo wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:39 am I like you sir, and welcome discussion from you.

you have artistic sense - musical and movie-wise. I note such and also noted your character (which i think is good).

take care - and carry on.
You're very kind.

There's still hope. :D

I'm an Idealist, and so beleive there is always Hope. Hope is the last to die in infinate travial. I may lose hope in extreme circumstances, but hope those circumstances do not reach the point where i do lose that hope.

I personally strive for Virtues - as a personal quest to remain/become more good than i am today. hope is one of several virtues.

- one can know others character from their posts - and so i know your character is good from being here for a year.

I welcome conversing with you and learning of good movies and music from you. As for politics - i know i'm political and very liberal, and suspect you are also very politically minded, though conservative.

I do not disparage the concept (ideal) of agreeing to dissagree (as long is the character's of those are all good on all sides). I do not demonize folks for their political or religious views - only via their character.

My best friend (i have 2) is a hardcore Republican (though does not like Trump - votes Rep since the 80's nearly always (held his nose (as I did - I loathe Billary too, though a Liberal) and voted for her in 16), we have nothing in common politically or religiously (he is an Evangelical 100 percent) - me an Athiest.

we have similar character - and we see that in each others, and so we are fine with it and so have been best friends for nearly 2 decades now.

thanks for reply.

over the months in this tread, I've provided "depressing" movie links about the human condition. But life is not all downer, I'll provide a few links of uplifting movies below. (have to read replies to me in other threads first since last here)

Its all about the human condition - good and bad - and this "gray world" of complexity - where foreign, indie, and old american (pre-80's) deal with, and modern escapist hollywood movies refuse to address (fluff).
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Ben Kingsley is in the top rack of actors/ability.

he was fab in "Ghandi", and almost always good to excellent per his hired role.

but like most actors, will take a paycheck and act in horrible movies - where no amount of good acting will make a poorly written character/poor director/piss poor movie overall - fix a suchy movie.

.............one exception here.....maybe Ben was just a bit lazy?

he did not provide anything in the movie Ender's Game - the movie was above ave, but he did not offer much as Razer Mazen(sp).

directers have much power and maybe that was the reason.

who knows.

-----------

not sure what all the Hubub(sp) is WRT to "Racism" in this thread since last week (clearly i missed something).

- to add to it as a point of fact, one of Ben's parent (dad i think) was Bengali.

does make a vital difference in the racism thing?

lol.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

life affirming and uplifting movies:

Children of Heaven - full movie not on Youtube

White Balloon - same no longer on YT

Central Station - same not on YT anymore

Color of Pardise - not on YT

Song of Sparrows - no english subs so useless unless you know Farsi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NroZ7lTrbYQ

the little princess (TV version - not the latter movie that was lesser)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz6R-hKfL9s
Walker

Talking in circles

Post by Walker »

Amy Adams.
This lady has the charisma, but how?

It has to be energy.
The best in any field of endeavour are always more energetic than most.
Energy (energetic) is the one commonality that threads through all at the top.

Among other things, this flick is about the abolishment of proprietary rights, abolishment of copyright, and abolishment of national borders, all gussied up into a morality play that saves the world.

It’s quite a mishmash of new-age, science, science fiction, fantasy, philosophy, time, and so on. No hard edges of thought, it’s all fuzzy and soft like the borderline of cotton candy.

It provokes soft and gentle thought along with universal sadness.

Plot: An unknown superior power, without the ability to communicate, is assumed to be a threat by fearful earthlings. Think bad and bad is what you get.

Arrival Movie’s Language: Talking in Circles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd8zT1YAUck
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Talking in circles

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:41 am Amy Adams.

It has to be energy.

Among other things, this flick is about the abolishment of proprietary rights, abolishment of copyright, and abolishment of national borders, all gussied up into a morality play that saves the world.

It’s quite a mishmash of new-age, science, science fiction, fantasy, philosophy, time, and so on. No hard edges of thought, it’s all fuzzy and soft like the borderline of cotton candy.

Plot: An unknown superior power, without the ability to communicate, is assumed to be a threat by fearful earthlings. Think bad and bad is what you get.

I like Amy Adams too. She just has something interesting and sort of comforting about her. Different from the usual female movie clones.
Walker

Post by Walker »

“I always knew what the right path was. Without exception, I knew. But I never took it. You know why? It was too damn hard.”
- Pacino
Scent of a Woman.

Lots of people can tell you what’s wrong with the world, and act like the telling is some kind of accomplishment.

That’s like going through a forest and saying Look! A tree! And there’s another one!

What does the tree seer do after explaining the shrub seer’s wrongness? Repeat?

John Voight answers climate urgency in 18 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoa74e-DJtY

Is a problem without a solution, actually a problem?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gravity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKW-Gd_S_xc

Terrific scene.
Silent destruction.

How she avoids shrapnel is beyond me.
Maybe she doesn’t.

Should private citizens be firing rockets through the field of satellites, possibly starting a chain reaction of debris that would drastically change modern life?

Is Musk regulated with any real oversight?
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:27 pm I like Amy Adams too. She just has something interesting and sort of comforting about her. Different from the usual female movie clones.
I recently watched an Ingrid Bergman movie. She was a few years younger than Adams was in Arrival, but Bergman seems older. Not more elegant than Adams, but elegant in a different way.

Quite a difference in styles. Part of the difference is in the times, considering that back in Bergman’s day men did not dress like boys.

Bergman is elegant, sophisticated, even matronly.
She is a cool customer.
Even cold.

As you note, Adams is warm.
Also, she is every bit as sophisticated as Bergman, but her style is more in tune with these times.

Unlike Bergman, Adams has never officially been denounced on the floor of the U.S. Senate.
She has an interesting bio. A strong person.

Simple conversation.
The fireworks is in the implications.
What she says is much like the last soliloquy from John Huston’s, The Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpo6hzQ2LJY
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:41 am Amy Adams.

It has to be energy.

noted your post - will check your link.

generally i like Amy Adams as ok (good enough - not "sucks" nor "wow") - she was ok in Doubt, though the dead guy (sorry i forget his name now - he was really a great actor and sorry that he is dead - rem now Phil Hoffman - he showed his tallent and made Doubt a great movie) - he offered more than the old biddy did (whats here name - in Dear Hunter (one of the top 10 of all time movies BTW)).

the whole theme of Doubt was Doubt - was Hofffman a pedo or not - as was the intent, but I tended to affirm the Priest as inocent (was no pedo, tried to council the black gay kid and was sent to the parish for other failings (drugs/etc...) and "old biddy" (Streep - finally rem her name!) assumed the worst due to her bias (being the priest was for the Catholic Reforms of the 1960's and she was not - and she transferred her disslike of said reforms upon the characters of all that happened to agree with those reforms).

thanks for reply Walker - I will check out your link.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:19 am “I always knew what the right path was. Without exception, I knew. But I never took it. You know why? It was too damn hard.”
- Pacino
Scent of a Woman.
thus the difference between a Psychopath (1- percent of general population/20 of prison)

and the majority.

"Pacino" (in that movie - never saw it nor know of the charactor's name - nor can i speak of the actor Al as to if he is a psycho or not (do not know the man - and will leave that assessment to those that do)) knows rights from wrong - so has a conscience (psychopaths do not have this - they "play act" it like toddlers via imitation), and knows the right path is TOUGH, and the wrong path is EASY.

so he is like me, but maybe chooses easy more readily than i might.

Psychopaths are in a whole other ballpark
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:31 am
Is Musk regulated with any real oversight?
lol - since the last 1/2 year or so Musk seems to have been doing his own self destruction (oh regulation? - my bad).

ok by me - his prior image was too godlike for me, the current one is more in line for a mortal and ok by me.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:58 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:27 pm I like Amy Adams too. She just has something interesting and sort of comforting about her. Different from the usual female movie clones.
I recently watched an Ingrid Bergman movie. She was a few years younger than Adams was in Arrival, but Bergman seems older. Not more elegant than Adams, but elegant in a different way.

Quite a difference in styles. Part of the difference is in the times, considering that back in Bergman’s day men did not dress like boys.

Bergman is elegant, sophisticated, even matronly.
She is a cool customer.
Even cold.

As you note, Adams is warm.
Also, she is every bit as sophisticated as Bergman, but her style is more in tune with these times.

Unlike Bergman, Adams has never officially been denounced on the floor of the U.S. Senate.
She has an interesting bio. A strong person.

Simple conversation.
The fireworks is in the implications.
What she says is much like the last soliloquy from John Huston’s, The Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpo6hzQ2LJY
what movie did you see Bergman in? loved her (she was Polish BTW - tell me more about her vile toward Congress!!!!!!! iron curtain related?) - her daughter looks alot like her (forget her her name - in some movies in the 80's/90's).

At first i thought you were talking about Igmar Bergman................director of top movies like Seventh Seal (Thank god Max Von Sydow - is still alive and well!!!!!!!!!!! personal fav)) - then figured it out.

;-).